Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!
The Sinister with the mutant gene.

You said you don't plan to run water to the shop, have you thought about a rain reclamation system? My friend's dad just has his gutters running to a collection barrel which then runs to a tank inside. He doesn't drink it but has it plumbed to a faucet so he can wash oil and whatnot off before going inside the house. I think he just uses iodine tablets to treat the water in the tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Height restrictions? Go up

Ha, dude did that downtown here. One story house, garage with three stories and a loft towering behind it. Has a balcony/deck on the third floor. I'll see if I can find pictures, it looks like a goddamned siege tower.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

slothrop posted:

this sounds fantastic!

It's not showing up on google maps which is odd since it's been there for 10 years now. I'll drive by later this week and snap a picture. The first floor is a 2.5 bay, second floor is a workspace with a bathroom, third floor was finished but unused, I think they were gonna stick a pool table up there but it was full of boxes last time I was there. I think the only reason he got away with it is the enormous trees in his neighborhood so you only see it from certain angles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

Unless you need a padded seat any stool will do. Buy a tall one at Target and trim the legs to fit your desired height.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

Probably jumping the gun a bit since something could still go wrong and derail the purchase but this is my impending new garage.

Insulated and insulated door.

The entire wall with the door is pegboard.

Bonus storage above the garage

So first order of business is going to be to get that firewood outside and then just a good cleaning before we move in. I had this insane idea of a half post lift a while back but the mroe I think about it, I'm never going to have a project car again so I think a QuickJack is going to be sufficient. Thoughts?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

slidebite posted:

How big is that? Looks about 25x25ish?

Is that a floor drain I see in the middle? If so, jealous. Not allowed here.

I have the exact measurements in my car but it's like 24x28 if memory serves and YES floor drain.

All that poo poo in there stays and there's some solid shelves there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

I think I'm at the point where wheel swaps and oil changes are all I'm in for anymore and the QJ will handle that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

Ferremit posted:

Arenít floor drains there so you can watch expensive sockets roll and drop down them while you try to wedge yourself under the car to stop them?

Uh, it's where you dump used oil.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

Floor drain goes to storm drain. Garage is 21.5 x 26.5, my memory was flubbed on that. Spent another afternoon over there taking measurements and taping paint swatches to walls. Pretty sure I have the garage layout planned to my satisfaction. Sadly closing is delayed so all the little issues can be repaired before we take possession.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

MrOnBicycle posted:

For anyone who hasn't got one already - get a good sturdy workshop table. I got a second hand one and it's insane to think that I've managed so long without one. Being able to work on poo poo without having it on the floor and sit at awkward positions for longer amounts of time is just bliss. Also a vise on said table.

The PO left behind one made out of a door. I think it's neat!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

Our realtor was able to filter all the listings for us in their database and send us just the listings that checked our boxes.

And then we found the house ourselves at random since nothing we looked at worked for us.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

The main street of pur neighborhood is full of houses with 3+ car garages. It's very weird and abruptly ends when you turn into the rest of the neighborhood.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

Tell me more about this phone-controled opener. Is it an add on I can buy for my existing system or do I need an entirely new unit?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

I need to start looking at this. Is it just a module that I can connect to from my phone? I seem to recall an ad for one that had a monthly fee.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

You just park on the ceiling.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

Oh man, drive through garages are super cool.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

Best LED shop lights? Still Costco?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

I hung my crappy ones up and they're dimmer than the single LED bulbs in the ceiling lights, looked at LED tubes which cost more than LED fixtures on average (for a single tube).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

Oh for sure. I need to grab some socket adapters so I can have two or three running from each fixture, should light up the garage like the sun. I'm looking at putting two in the attic as well since the single bulb up there does fuckall.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

What's above the garage? Master bedroom?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

Have you considered a walk out patio area?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

You could always shore it up with additional supports later.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

My buddy just put an offer in on this place, I am super envious of the garage. Two bay up front and a single bay put back that walks right into the finished basement.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/.../73201167_zpid/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

BraveUlysses posted:

i now have 9 costco LED shop lights in my two car garage and it OWNS

the current version is even better than the original model and they are 20 bucks each this month

Oh poo poo, I should go get some.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

I have 3 old rear end tube fixtures out there, I only hung them up because I still had new tubes but I could convince myself to replace them for $20 a piece.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

NoWake posted:

This place popped up for rent across from the gym I use, and it's all I've been able to think about. 1,800sf of shop space + 750sf of heated/cooled living space, with a shitter.

$700/mo + utilities. I'd seriously consider moving in and selling my drat house, only drawback would be my dogs losing their grassy yard.

drat, that's huge for the price.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

I have a 200 sq ft attic with a single bulb for illumination. I have an led up there but I was thinking about putting on of those 3 way LED lights up there. Is there a not lovely version of such a thing.

Will this burn my house down?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KRJ6VW...i_PdEPDbWC4KNYF

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

Same brand?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

Nice, I'll grab some. Thanks dude.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

Insanely jealous of that shelving poo poo man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

I want to do that if/when we add a third bay. For now I have two of the heavy duty power bars screwed into the walls on either side of the garage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

I started sketching out ideas for a workbench area that would extend the length of one wall of my garage. Just a basic wood build but I'm trying to figure out if i can fit a couple short cabinets in the design so I'll have drawer storage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

Burn it all in the street?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

My brother and I did our mother's garage for like $400. I'm just going to hire someone to do mine next year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

Menards stocks some decent cabinets and they run 11% off all purchases every 3 weeks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

We've been pondering the addition of a third bay to our garage in the near future, my dream is to have optional parking for 3 cars and a full workshop area if I need. Was discussing this with the wife and she suggested we go hog wild and build a garage in the back corner of our lot like so many of our neighbors have. Her one requirement is that she wants a greenhouse attached to one side.

Did I marry the perfect woman or what?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

slidebite posted:

As a 3 bay garage haver (with the 3rd one being a full pull-thru) it's never big enough. Go as big as you can afford/space allows. You will not regret it.

Our backyard is huge (potentially huger in a few years) so I can easily fit what I want back there. I need to some planning and map pit the rough idea of what i want to do. We're going to remodel the kitchen as well so we'll likely get a loan in 2021 and go hog wild.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

I want to build a new work bench to replace the cut up doors the previous owner left behind.I just need a simple bench with a shelf below. Google gives me way too many options and suggestions, what's the goon go to?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

I have the whole length of the wall so I figure two of these will do fine.

Other question: Are there any fancy, super strong pegs for pegboard? I hung some of my Ryobi stuff and the metal pegs sagged and bent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

meatpimp posted:

Also, keep in mind that Ryobi One+ has lanyards that can help with storage: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-O...-P922/303325962

Holy poo poo yeah.