Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've fallen down one once, and got extremely lucky that I landed squarely on my rear end without any actual injury. At least put a lid of some sort on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah that's what I meant by covering it. Enough that nobody falls in but it's still a viable escape route.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Watching this thread with great interest in any new build standalone garages. My ideal 5-10 year plan is I manage to buy a place with enough room for a standalone garage / shop, and if I can't find one that already has one built...

I realize budgets on these are extremely variable but I can hardly even find any remote ideas on what it should cost to stand one up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My opener just has two of the biggest CFLs I could find at Home Depot ~five years ago in it, but I've also got four of the Costco twin-LED-tube shop lights hung around the place.

I've been cleaning / reorganizing my garage too. Wife gave me a new toolbox for Christmas (which I still need to start putting actual tools into!), and I was able to repurpose some shelving units into the garage.

I think once I finish the current batch of garage projects / cleanup, the next one will be a new workbench. The one I have is a Craftsman made from relatively thin steel, and if I ever need to really get after something attached to it, it doesn't take much leverage for the bench to start moving instead of the work.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have a low end Craftsman bench - maybe a bit nicer than the HF one there - and it's fine at best. Where it utterly fails is if you need to put something in a bench vise and really yank on it. There's just not enough mass to work against.

Even a DIY build out of 2by and plywood should do much better in that regard.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

90% of my garage looks like that, so... yeah.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have five of the originals in my garage now. The only place I would want more is where the garage door would block them when open, though.

It's loving awesome and it'll be one of the first things I do to a new garage if I ever move.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

opengl128 posted:

Oh man that is incredible

I think it ranks a nice round zero on wife approval factor, but... agreed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mr. Powers posted:

What are the good options for garages too low for a lift? I've seen those jack-like things that go under the sides of the car, but I don't know what they're called.

The two most popular options I'm aware of are the Bendpak QuickJacks, which just need any flat surface, and the Danmar MaxJax, which have to be installed but are basically a tiny two post lift.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Air hammers are God tier when you need one. They use a poo poo ton of air though so you'll be working in very short bursts.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That is some pro-tier garage art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have a vacmaster wall mount. Love the vacuum but hate the wallmount, I wish I had gotten a regular one instead.

Edit: vac cart is cool