Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we'll show off our garages and workshops. I'm in the process of building me and my friends new garage, since the last one I had burned down.

Here's the old one:

And then someone (not me) did some welding on a gas tank:

Now me and my friend are working on getting a nice garage set up. We've already gotten a lift and a compressor, and now we're working on the workbench and a small storage space for tires and stuff.

Large Ingersoll-Rand compressor I got for free:

First iteration:

Picking up the lift:

Lift, chain hoist and a lot of stuff:

The start of something grand:

The progress so far:

I'm still thinking about the lathe I can get for a song, but it looks like it won't be enough room for it if I'm going to have my project car there.

So, show off your garages!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

bolind posted:

Hey, afen, I remember the burning garage. New place looks cool. Was that also you that had the Audi RS2?

Yes, that's me. Thankfully the RS2 was at home!

A hoist is the greatest thing you can have in a garage! At least you don't have to lie in the gravel outside :)

I rebuilt the RS2s engine in my garage at home. A metre between the car and my tool chest, but I got it done!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
It's getting there!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
It's done! (It's never done)

Lighting and power outlets fitted, and some of my tools hung up. I've got most of my tools in my tool cabinet, and that's where they'll stay.

Got the air tools organized:

This photo was taken last Sunday:

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

bolind posted:

afen, that looks very nice and inspirational. Cool with those relatively tall ceilings. More room for more junk.

Dunno about the windows, but my mate's shop has a somewhat similar setup, and they put up a sheet of plexiglass on the inside of the windows, flush with the wall (so, maybe 10cm of air between that and the windows.) That really improved the insulation and made their diesel powered heater. You could consider something similar.

Thank you! I would like the ceiling to be a little bit taller so that I can max out my hoist, but beggars can't be choosers. It's almost impossible to find a place like this in my city that doesn't cost $$$

The place is pretty cold during the winter, and that sounds like a great tip! I'll look into getting some plexi for insulation.

slothrop posted:

what is the red car? I really can't place it

1974 Opel Commodore

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
The compressor is finally together properly.

Bodged the HP piston ring install last time, so I had to open it up again to replace them once more.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Not much new with the garage. I got a refridgerator, but no I haven't found a good place to put it.

Bought a new motor for the frankengrinder I got at an auction:

Changed the radiator and fuel pump on MY GIRLFRIENDS S6:

And I finally hung up one of the essentials in a garage (NSFW):
http://i.imgur.com/nNGfqK8.png

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Not much happening here..

Got myself a nice steel shelf:

Borrowed a propane heater from a friend, helps during the cold winter:

And I finally moved my almost-free lathe indoors:

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Slung Blade posted:

Holy gently caress I want that lathe. Shame it's got a little cancer on it. Doing a full restoration on it or just tidying it up for use?

Just tidying it up for now. I think the worn paint looks cool. I haven't had the time to look at it due to work, but there's a new year coming!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Antlers? Sure, why not!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
I built a shelf for wheels and tires, just to get them off the floor:

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Mr. Powers posted:

Those are also cool, and buying them is more likely to happen than building a suspended rack.

I thought about welding something like that up, but I had the wood and lumber laying around.

Cage posted:

Probably the ladder hanging on the wall that is no longer on the wall when hes sitting up there.

Bingo! A bit more work than having the wheels on the floor, but worth it.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Advent Horizon posted:

Anybody else have a snack station?

My wife’s old college fridge, some sodas (and beers, not shown), and a rotating selection of snacks.

I just moved an old fridge into my garage! Mostly used for cold drinks and microwave dinners. A godsend for when the job takes a while longer than planned.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Got the lathe up and running! Still some work to do, but it does turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pBA4hdy8eY

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

ionn posted:

Oooh nice! I have the very same model. About twice as much lathe as I have any business operating, but it sure gets it done.

It's a hefty bit of kit, and I have so much to learn about it. The threading gearbox is a mystery, and I haven't got the cross slide feed to work yet.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

ionn posted:

Do you have a manual? If not, I can arrange some kind of copy of mine. I haven't tried any heathen (inchies) threading and that bit seems somewhat weird, but once you know what the different levers do the rest of it mostly makes sense.

I haven't had a reason to go inside the apron gearbox though, where I assume the problem might be if the carriage feed works but the cross slide doesn't (its the same mechanism up until that four way lever on the apron). There are some shear pins somewhere, which should be a pretty easy fix.

Apparently you can still get parts for this thing from Slovakia. Mine has a slightly bent compound leadscrew that I should replace (I can only use about half the travel on it before it binds up), but I still haven't gotten around to actually contacting them about it.

I have some manuals, but they're pretty cryptic. Here's what I have, if you have another manual I would love to have it: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vS6XyH7Trvx1zLRKOMdXIrrd4CtT4j6r?usp=sharing

Do you know where the pins are located?

My compound has some sort of issue as well, it binds about 3-4cm before the end of travel. Haven't had time to look into that, and I probably won't for a while since the motor went kaput the other day. You can buy a new one, but they're pretty expensive, so I'm looking for a used one.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

ionn posted:

Do you have a manual? If not, I can arrange some kind of copy of mine. I haven't tried any heathen (inchies) threading and that bit seems somewhat weird, but once you know what the different levers do the rest of it mostly makes sense.

I haven't had a reason to go inside the apron gearbox though, where I assume the problem might be if the carriage feed works but the cross slide doesn't (its the same mechanism up until that four way lever on the apron). There are some shear pins somewhere, which should be a pretty easy fix.

Apparently you can still get parts for this thing from Slovakia. Mine has a slightly bent compound leadscrew that I should replace (I can only use about half the travel on it before it binds up), but I still haven't gotten around to actually contacting them about it.

I got the feeds working, I just needed to put the levers in the right place.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

ryanrs posted:

As a newbie welder, I am obliged fabricate shop furniture whenever the opportunity arises.

Made of steel angle and 3/8" rod, it's conservatively rated to carry 100 lbs of grinding discs.

(I pulled it off the wall this week for maintenance. It's in the paint shop getting a coat of gloss enamel in mustard yellow.)

Lovely! I should get better at making my own brackets, this looks like a great hanger!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
I finally got to use my lathe for something! Made some adapters to fit Brembos on the S6:

Got a massive 315mm chuck for a song, now I just need an adapter plate:

And I gave the old chuck a good clean and polish. Before:

After:

It looks like this chuck once was used for welding, so it's pretty beat up, but at least it's not rusty anymore!