Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

slidebite posted:

A floor drain would kick all sorts of rear end and I would highly recommend one if you can, but I haven't lived in a municipality that would actually allow one in a new home garage build for many years now.

Why is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

beep-beep car is go posted:

Too easy to drain hazardous materials into the watershed.

Yeah I want a drain that goes into the sewer, not the storm drain. When you wash your car in the driveway it goes into the storm drain.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Stuff you’d be draining in a car garage shouldn’t go into the sewer either, really.

I don't want to dump my oil in the sewer. I just want to wash my car without the stuff draining straight to fresh water.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I wish I knew how to do all that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I like that it has an electric deadbolt too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Does it go into the sewer or storm drain? I don't get the opposition if it goes into sewer. It's better to wash your car and have the run off treated than doing it in the street / driveway where it will go down the storm drain.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I got the kind that mounts right to the shaft to save some overheard space as it's a small garage. Otherwise belt-driven is the way to go for quietness.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

We like Overhead Door openers. Our previous house had one that was installed in the early 90s and worked great until it died and we just replaced it with the modern version of the same one.

Our current place has a Craftsman and I’d not recommend it. It’s loud, it’s slow and it hangs down pretty far.

Noise and speed are dependent on model and drive type. You can have higher horsepower motors, and different drive types. Belt drive is the quietest. Chain is the cheapest and loud. Screw drive is most powerful and fastest (I don't recall how it does on sound). There's also the direct drive that hangs off to the side and attaches directly to the door.

Rhyno posted:

I need to start looking at this. Is it just a module that I can connect to from my phone? I seem to recall an ad for one that had a monthly fee.

Liftmaster / Chamberlain / Craftsman would be myQ.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Slung Blade posted:

A carriage house. I kinda wanted to build one of those when I was picking a house plan for my place, but my mother threatened to disown me if I went ahead with it.

I'm not really sure why. I think they're rad.

Ideal place:
Me
Dog
Cars, lots of them
That's it. :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

My garage has a sloped roof like this. If I wanted to build some kind of pulley to hold up my Yakima cargo box, is there a guide to do it? Also would the rails be strong enough to drill into, like how the yellow hooks are?

Sidenote: I'm working on getting an electrician to clean up this rinky dink mess up there, but it's hard to get one to come out in Seattle.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's nice when your stuff goes to a good home, too. I'm sure they're happy you're making good use of it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

toplitzin posted:

Have you read the chat threads this year?

No. Was that an electrical fire?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

frrtbkr posted:

I’m excited! I made an offer that the seller accepted for this beauty:

ohhh nice, it has garages too.

six!

My home inspection is Saturday, I’ll take some more photos then. The garage looks like a grow house - the walls and ceilings are covered with foil faced insulation. I’m hoping it’s structurally sound underneath. The roof is rubber and has some sagging areas that collect ponding water. Good news is the wiring is new, it has it’s own electrical service from the street, the (electric!) garage doors are new and hot & cold PEX run along the back wall for 3 future sink hookups. I forgot which ones are double bays and which ones are singles but every demising wall has pass doors between them with hasps for padlocks. I’ll probably keep a double and rent the rest for storage until I can complete my water cooled VW collection, haha!

I also saw some old Verizon networking equipment in bay #1. Looked it up after the showing and they offer gigabit FIOS!

You get all six garages for yourself? That's...awesome. And weird setup, but can't complain
Edit: you will need 2 3-button remotes!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You made me look up what those dark green mailboxes are. I used to walk by one with my dog and never remembered to look it up.
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/71244/what-are-those-dark-green-mailboxes-dont-accept-mail
"Relay boxes", I guess a place to just stash stuff temporarily.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Probably depends on the code / laws in your area, but our oil tank was just filled with foam.

Also how old is the PEX? I know some of the stuff from the 90s are ticking time bombs.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh could be. The stuff we had was red and blue, but that doesn't mean it wasn't it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Just noticed Costco has the QuickJack BL-7000SLX on sale for $1250 for a few more days.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah it's for trucks and SUVs looks like. Just throwing it out there.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The first thing I noticed in your shop pics was a giant turbo. Nice

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've used Hyperikon as they worked with my old T12 ballasts before I got around to removing them (fortunately they don't have any PCBs so easier to recycle). I've had them a year and they seem fine, but pricey. Not fully bridge rectified like I had hoped, but this doesn't bother 99.99% of people I think.

Edit: at the edges of the light the colors split into blue and yellow I think, but it's in the basement, so I don't care. I can get a pic if you want but it seems like going through Home Depot or another store would be easier than mail order if you need warranty service.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 24, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Do you put a CO monitor in the actual garage? Cause that went off constantly and stayed on for a long while after just starting the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Advent Horizon posted:

I do, but we also DD an EV. Otherwise you want it just inside the house by the door.

OK, I do have them all across the house, but yeah, I did find in the manual that it says you're not supposed to put the carbon monoxide detector into the garage. The gas car is still the one in the garage cause it's newer and more valuable.