Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

I'd say if you can afford it, you won't regret it especially in a small space. You can certainly work around it if necessary but yeah a lift is in the way whenever you don't need a lift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

mekilljoydammit posted:

Well, getting deeper and deeper in the planning rabbithole. Any off-the-cuff opinion on how hard it will be to get the power company to run 3-phase to a new shop I'd build? I live in a rural part of SE Wisconsin and have power poles on my property, so presumably it's not as outlandish as someone living in a subdivision, but I dunno.

Like slung blade said, it depends on how far the 3 phase is from you. For a shop, unless you're installing a huge load you'll probably get a 120/240/208 two pot bank, which isn't "true" 3 phase but will run everything.

But you can always get a phase converter if utility 3 phase is too expensive.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Definitely go with 10' ceiling height.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

That's really cool and the specs say it will easily lift my 12x12 shop doors. I like the design too, I mean that's clearly more efficient to drive the shaft directly right?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

I've had a crazy busy 4 years since buying this place, and my pile-o-scrap material has gotten extreme. I bought this cheap material rack a few weeks ago and finally put it together...I think it will do nicely. It was missing most of the assembly hardware, but nothing I couldn't replace from the mixed bolt and nut bin.

I'll spare you any before pictures, it was pretty . Apparently the stuff on the bottom was getting wet and staying that way.

As you can see, it's not done. Some of that is now junk. Anyway its nice to finally start getting this place organized, been making other improvements I'll post up eventually.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Based on that, if I was drawing this up as your electric coop, assuming the power comes down in the vicinity of your driveway (probable since you said the meter base was on that side) - I'd add an access vault mid-span across from the shop and dig a service over to it.
Assuming the conductor size is adequate of course.

If it isn't, may have to dig all the way from the road, unless you're lucky and the existing service happens to be in pipe.

Edit - the utility boxes in the yard, what do they look like and what is their location?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

The small box that doesn't hum is a high voltage junction cabinet. The second one is the transformer, yes. 15 kva.

You're golden on utility power. They can run straight from the transformer to your building. No idea on your cost - every coop handles that differently. Here it would be $300 flat fee for up to 150', and $2 per foot beyond that.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Neat lift. Is the plywood to cover the (trench? hole? depression)? It does seem like a bit of a trip hazard when you're eyes up looking at the underside of the vehicle.

Sucks about the measurements being wrong. The concrete was done so nice and sharp...

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

meatpimp posted:

Basically, good luck because garages are neglected in real estate listings. Even outbuildings barely get a mention... and I've seen a nice property with 20x30 shops with a lift listed as "nice big outdoor shed"

This is absolutely the case. My property had a 40x60 metal building and there was one picture, zoomed in from I'm guessing the house cause they couldn't be arsed to walk over there. Listing had lots of pictures of the terrible dated and worn house interior which was a foreclosure and looked it. Our gain, fortunately.

When we listed my wife's house, I had completely remodeled the (stick built) 8x8 shed. Built a new ramp, installed new floor, painted and trimmed the outside so it looked real sharp. Installed a new light and receptacles inside. Got one crappy picture in the listing and dunno if even a mention in the description. House got a full price offer in 5 days tho.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

NitroSpazzz posted:

House chat....more specifically garage smells in house chat. Looking for ideas for reducing the smells that make it upstairs. Spilled a little old gas in the unfinished side of the garage last weekend and even though I immediately cleaned it up and put fans blowing out the air the upstairs still stunk pretty bad. I try to do anything that's likely to cause odors in the garage side with the door wide open but poo poo happens. Jacked up a car with a overfull tank of gas at too much of an angle and it spilled a bit.

Is the garage space sealed up well? What kind of wall/ceiling covering do you have?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

NitroSpazzz posted:

It isn't. Walls are painted block, ceilings are open framing. It's very 'unfinished' in that regard...as well as the lighting/electrical I have yet to find time to install in the back half.

From a safety perspective, that's an issue even if you're not doing auto work in the garage. A modern build would sheetrock the walls and ceilings, giving air sealing properties as well as fire resistance.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

meatpimp posted:

Okay thread, this is ridiculous. I have a bad habit of not putting tools away when I'm done with a project. That's been taken to an extreme and I've got poo poo from one end of the bench to the other in various depths. That needs to change.

My classes end this week, so I've got time to organize this shithole. I've got a great workbench that I built, but you cannot see it through all of the garbage. Time to get cleaning.

At present:

Well I feel better now

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Fuckit, cross posting why not.

Last Thursday I contacted a recommended contractor for quotes to build on some (completely self supported) lean-tos, to my shop. I heard from him this Wednesday and clarified what I wanted, sent drawings and site pictures.

Yesterday he called me mid-day and asked "how soon did you want to start this?"

30x24 is done except for trim, 40x12 is up next.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Sheds are done.

Not sure exactly what I'm doing next, which is a good thing cause that definitely killed my OT money from the past year. That window is a framed out space that was used as an office that I intend to remodel into an apartment with an indoor/outdoor kitchen. In no particular order, to do this I need to:

-get septic redone, it's an ancient cinder block tank with unknown leech field capacity. Also the lid is homemade and a single slab @ 7'x3'. In the words of my septic guy "I've been doing this for 30 years and I've never seen that before" as he's taking pictures to show the other guys back at the shop. Quoted me a decent price to make it right though.
-cut that window into a door. Also possibly add another window on the other wall where the kitchen(ette) will be.
-figure out how I want to add a small shower to the bathroom, and cut the slab to redo the drain lines to accommodate.
-probably remove the old r13 fiberglass and get spray foam after plumbing/electrical edits are complete. I want the apartment to be completely cut off from the shop area with it's fumes, etc. The interior doors from the shop to the office area will at a minimum have to swap to exterior doors but probably I'll just remove them and leave the single new exterior door.
-everything else

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

OMFG those shelves are awesome

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Very nice!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

He's in the electrical thread now with this question, but yes GFCI is required for anything in a garage.. Though having one on the ceiling runs afoul of the requirement that it's accessible. So you protect it via an upstream receptacle, or GFCI breaker.

BlackMK4 posted:

The rework boxes like that don’t accommodate the extra layer of drywall, I have some here that I tried. I could hack up the upper layer of drywall, but that seems ghetto.

You can use a longer screw on the mounting tab, to accommodate the extra later of wallboard.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 5, 2020

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

tehk posted:

Anyone have a wall mount shop vac they can recommend?

Nice shop. I'm still partial to my vac/cart rig. The vac itself is intended to be wall hung and has a small hose that IMO is ideal for automotive work, if you don't like the cart part. It has a wall bracket and easily pops off for mobile use

angryrobots posted:

I bought that small shop vac with the wall bracket, and decided to do something different with it-

Y'all will probably say that's dumb, should have just gotten one on wheels, but I really didn't want something else to add clutter on the floor, that's why I wanted the wall hanger to start with. I always have my shop cart when working on something, and a lot of the time I want a vacuum (clean crap that was under engine cover, etc). If it doesn't work out, it was only 10 minutes wasted but I think it's pretty sweet.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

tehk posted:

All that said if I could do it over I’d save up the 8k to get a challenger inground two cylinder style lift. Nothing I hate more than post. Especially two posts. My four post are usually out of the way but two are always where I want them the least.

Everyone's first question when they come in my shop is "why don't you have a lift" and they look at me like I'm crazy when I say it would be in the way all the time.

Like, busting out the creeper or cardboard isn't that big of a deal? I also want the in-ground lift but it's gonna have to wait for other more pressing ( ) projects.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

A boring, but very big QOL improvement. I got my busted roll-up doors replaced.

Before

After

Went with 3-layer insulated commercial doors. But, I can legitimately tell a big difference. Next is having the roof repaired, got a few leaks and I can't find em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

SE USA, so no real winter and not heated or cooled, but very hot summers and the doors are east facing. The rest of it is partially insulated, getting that finished is another stretch goal for this year. I have some electrical to run first, among everything else.