Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hey, afen, I remember the burning garage. New place looks cool. Was that also you that had the Audi RS2?

I'm jonesing for real garage space. For now, I'll have to make do with my small storage unit adjacent to the underground parking garage in my condo building, mixed with smooching off my buddy's workshop coop with a lift. Problem with the last solution is that the car needs to be able to both drive there and drive home at the end of the night...

Cosy.

Jack parking. Secondary tool box.

Main tool box. It's usually a lot more cluttered.

Junk.

More junk.

Work bay. When I can, I block both parking spots, things can sometimes get tricky if there's a neighbor.
Storage unit is actually right on the other side of the wall, near the left front of the car, but I have to go around to the right. Still, it's only 25m or so, so it's easy to go and get a needed tool or something.
There's no electricity (well, there is if but it's a hassle to borrow and return the key and it's a little unsanctioned so blergh.) so I rely heavily on battery powered stuff, which actually works out pretty awesome.

Hoist at my buddy's place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
afen, that looks very nice and inspirational. Cool with those relatively tall ceilings. More room for more junk.

Dunno about the windows, but my mate's shop has a somewhat similar setup, and they put up a sheet of plexiglass on the inside of the windows, flush with the wall (so, maybe 10cm of air between that and the windows.) That really improved the insulation and made their diesel powered heater. You could consider something similar.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
E24 6-series?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Also, took the forms off and saw cut the slab. Pretty much done now! Pretty stoked to have this completed, I can't wait for another 3 weeks so I can get the pad to 90%+ set so I can drive the skidsteer on this thing and get rocking on the rest of the landscaping.

Edumacate me: what is "saw cut the slab" and why is it done?

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I have this Bendpak that I really like. (just for more lift data points)

Noice. What's the wooden frame for?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The wife and I are in the fortunate/terrible position that we might soon build a new house, with a garage. There are strict size limitations, so for a number of reasons we're limited to 35m2, and on top of that comes the fact that two or three of the walls will end up very thick - around 450mm.

This does not give us very much room to play with, to say the least. I'm interested in layout suggestions.

A big car (Model S, 5-series) is just under five meters long and roughly two meters wide. I don't intend to park two giant cars there on the regular, but I do think that retaining that option has some merit.

In practice, I'll have one medium sized car and a fuckload of junk. Hopefully also a power cage.

Thoughts on how to spend the 35m2?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Nice!

What model lift are you going for?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
We’re building a house and the standard kitchen countertop height is around 900mm. I think I would like it taller as I’m 186 but I have to compromise with the missus who’s... not.

Depends a lot on your own build, but for me I’d go 950-1000 I think.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Same thing here. I want to build a garage, basically as insulated as a house, heated etc. people keep referring to it as “the carport.”

It seems to have been a thing for 60s vintage houses but then of course it usually has the insulation and space of a 20’ container...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

LloydDobler posted:

I think I've just realized that the reason I have a shitload of miscellaneous screws and fasteners is that I never use screws and fasteners. I probably should just get in the habit of recycling what I don't use at the end of each project, because I only do about one project a year anyway. It's not expensive to buy a box of screws if I need them.

poo poo, I'm sitting on a box of square drive subfloor screws from remodeling my bathroom 13 years ago. I really don't need those taking up space in my brain or my garage. Definitely time for a garage purge.

That's a very common phenomenon. Then, the week after you chuck them, you'll need them, on a Sunday night.

But yeah, watching the builders that did our house. They unceremoniously chucked leftover stuff at the end. A waste, but storing, cataloguing and retrieving is way more expensive than just getting new stuff next time.

A compromise, that I've found, is that if you have a geographically close group of buddies who all do DIY, keep a small spreadsheet on Google Docs or something with what you have left over, and just treat it as a communal pot. Same with specialty tools, actually.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just figured out I have misunderstood the rules and that I can't build a 42m2 garage, only a 35m2 one... :sigh:

The original design was 6.7m wide by 6.3m deep. There would be some legal benefit* to sacrifice depth over width, but on the other hand, I'm guessing it will crazy suck to have to say no to cars, in the future, because they're 10cm too long.

Big cars sit right around five meters in length.

Thoughts?

*) It's going to sit on a slope, and the less "delta", the less I have to be given dispensation; has to do with the height.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Thanks for the replies

A lift, sadly, is not in the works. The garage is limited in height to 2.5m (even that is in question, as I might have to measure from the center. Sidewalk is about .25m higher than that. Once we've done beams and roof insulation I'll be lucky to have 2m headroom. Not to mention the door.

As the slope is downwards from the sidewalk (and the garage needs to be all the way on the edge) there's no sloping down either, regrettably.

I'm basically limited to a 35m2 footprint box of height 2.5, maybe even a little lower.

Shelves above where the car is parked is definitely a good idea.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

MrOnBicycle posted:

Is that limit one of those ones we have in Sweden that if you build less than x m2 and x height, you don't need planning permission?

Yes and no. If it wasn't for the slope and the height issue, I could just go ahead and build. Glad I didn't though, what if I had spend $LOTS on a 42m2 garage only to be told to cut one sixths off!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Anyway, for that low garage ceiling, look into getting a Quickjack. I got one for that reason (but ended up using it outside only as the garage floor was too uneven...) and I'm very happy with it. IIRC you are from Denmark? Jula in Sweden has them for about 15k SEK. Might be cheaper than in DK if you are close to Sweden.

That's probably the best way forward. Yes, I'm in DK, right across the water, in fact. And with the relatively weak SEK, that could be a good deal.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Welp/Woot! Contract signed for new garage. It's going to be eye-wateringly expensive, but the result should be worth it.

35 square meter external footprint.

I'll make sure to post pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

bolind posted:

Welp/Woot! Contract signed for new garage. It's going to be eye-wateringly expensive, but the result should be worth it.

35 square meter external footprint.

I'll make sure to post pictures.

I made a whole thread about it!