Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Alright, this is kind of an open-ended question but I'm looking for general input on two-post lifts, ceiling height, etc. Long story short my folks are looking at rebuilding their garage after their old one was reduced to ash in an electrical fire last year. They're starting to talk to architects, and my requests begging/threatening/cajoling for a space large enough to accomodate a lift is being taken into consideration. Ideally (and part of my selling point) they'd be able to store one vehicle up top and one underneath, although I realize that requires a pretty large design consideration vs. just being able to get a car up enough to easily do oil changes and suspension work. Naturally it depends on what vehicles etc, but cursory estimates with a measuring tape put that at a roughly 15'min ceiling depending on apex/lift orientation. Does a lift require any special foundation elements or changes?

General thoughts, ideas and cash contributions are welcome :wotwot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

That's not really a good storage solution. Typically one would use a 4 post for storage.

Yes. It depends on the lift and max weight, but you're typically going to need thicker/higher PSI concrete than one would normally pour for a residential garage floor.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Just echoing what Motronic said. A two post lift isn't for storage and will need extra or reinforced concrete poured. A four post lift is great for storage and I think you can get away with a normal concrete pour, or at least less than a two post.

Quick grab from an Atlas two post

Thanks guys, that's the stuff I need to know. Will spec for a four-post.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

The 4-posts I'm seeing in cursory googling are all ramp-types where the car sits on the tires. That's great for storage, fine for oil changes and whatnot, but a big part of why I want a lift is for ease of rotating tires and suspension work (i.e. I'll be installing lifts for a couple of my 4x4 friends in the near future). I suppose it's easy enough to bust out the jackstands for that, but is there a best of both worlds option? Overhead vehicle storage would be nice, but currently it is not a high priority.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Any of you guys with 2-post lifts have brand or model suggestions? The folks' architect is asking for exact specs and I've been crazy busy/behind on research. I don't need insane weight capacity, will largely be lifting my 2014 Rubicon at ~5000lbs, my friends' tacomas/colorados etc.

Looking at Atlas baseplate models currently, they seem well received.