Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

MJP posted:

I've been trying lately to get into making electronic music - synthwave, trance, drum & bass. I've done this two or three times over the last year or two and just gotten inundated in the music theory basics and how to operate and work with Ableton Live. Approaching both simultaneously has caused me to just give up, so I took my time and have what I think are the basics of theory - minor and major scales, basic chord theory/chord leading, etc. and I'm better at working with Ableton. I've done this after working with an inexpensive old sequencer and I feel like I can make something.

The only thing is that to me, a blank slate that is limited by my own imagination and requiring no end goal is just kinda huge and imposing. Cities Skylines is one thing - at least there, you have an objective. "Grow your city, here are your tools." With making music, it's so huge.

There's online melody creation tools but not too many that are useful. There has to be a weak link here: me. I'm not exactly a creative type. I liked Legos as a kid, but I only liked building based on instructions. I presently like building Gundam models, but again, those have objectives and constraints. Making My Own Music is a big-rear end thing, even if I feel intellectually ready to take a shot at it.

How does one become better at being creative? I've always been good at analytical stuff, but I would love to just be able to make some lovely music as a hobby and participate in the genres that I really enjoy.

You're asking "how can I become more creative at art?" Which is... not really possible to answer. But also made it pretty clear that you're more of a left-brain type of person. You like video games and physical games where you build with instructions and objectives, even though both allow you to do whatever you want without the instructions. And for many people, the point of Legos or city-building games (I have a lifelong addiction to Civilization games) are to AVOID the instructions and objectives.

There's no good answer. The real answer is: Listen to a wide range of music from adolescence till now + focus in and listen to a ton of electronic music that inspires you + expose yourself to a wide range of other influences (everything from paintings to photography to poems that could spark something in your head).

I'm a comedy writer and the rest of my family are in the arts (acting, painting, musicians, writers, etc.). There was no "This is how you become creative." It was just exposure to tons of art and finding out what you were passionate about and hopefully your brain chemistry and life situation made it possible for you to pursue the arts. My youngest sister was exposed to all the same stuff and raised the same way, but she's entering a scientific field and has shown little interest in pursuing a creative profession or hobby. Why? Who knows? If I see an amazing old photograph, it might spark something in my head. If my sister sees it, she might just see an old photograph. The way you described yourself, you might be on the left-brained side of that equation. Doesn't mean you can't answer this question; it just means it'll be harder.

Here's a video of the producer Ski Beatz making the beat for Jay-Z's song "Dead Presidents". Look at all the various influences he had to recall, digest, stretch, mold, and manipulate to turn into the beat for one of the greatest songs of all time. Much of what you're asking has to come internally from experiences and memories you've had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY8EIoMelFc

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

sebmojo posted:

I've done a crapload of professional theatre and music and my experience is that the best way to make art is to get someone else to give you a deadline.

Can we get a mod to permaban the dude until all 12 of us subjectively agree that the 2 minute house beat he made is art?

• Locked thread