Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«11 »
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Who's a little boy now?

Grimey Drawer

X_Toad posted:

She just wasn't the main character, you mean. Really, that's kind of at the root of the whole problem, Dipper is clearly the main character but sometimes it feels like the show's trying to sell us Mabel as his co-star.

I think this (sort of) hits at the issue the show ran into, in that Mabel simply didn't care about the show's underlying mysteries-she just wanted to spend her summer having fun and connecting with her family. And while that was hardly a flaw of her character, as a result it often put her in opposition to Dipper and much of the show's audience, who were very much invested in figuring out the identity of the author and the secrets of Gravity Falls. Now, I wouldn't go so far as to say she wasn't a main character (She was), or that she was in any way a bad character (She wasn't), but the show definitely failed to utilize her as effectively as it did Dipper in advancing the show's central plot.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The problem with Mabel is that she kept on getting relegated to the lovely b-plots in the second season. On the other hand, Dipper's character was drastically improved when they dropped the creepy Wendy romance thing.

This is also true. That subplot was by far the worst thing about Gravity Falls, and dragged down some of the show's best episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011
I ACTUALLY PLAYED THE GAME "VEXX" IN THE YEAR 2016 HOLY SHIT. THIS ISN'T EVEN AN ANGRY TITLE, I AM A GOD DAMN GAMING HERO

I did like how they started to drop the Wendy crush - Dipper goes back in time with Mabel, and sees a 3 year old Wendy, and her friend points out "Wendy thinks your cute ". Then Dipper is just "Ok, I get it, that is kinda creepy. Shut up..."

«11 »