Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I wasn't sure which variety you wanted, so take your pick :v:

Edit: "Turns out ya dead" is basically the only text option for the last one.
Edit Edit: Though "Welcome to Disney XD Everyone!" is pretty good too

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Edit: "Turns out ya dead" is basically the only text option for the last one.
Edit Edit: Though "Welcome to Disney XD Everyone!" is pretty good too

Aaaaand snagged. Thank you kindly

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The tongue and eyeballs are the last part to go, apparently.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Really enjoyed the first eight episodes and glad to see the end of the Toffee arc, on to Eclipsa! Surprisingly I think I've more enjoyed the MOTW elements of the show than the mythology so I hope we get back to get good ol' Star and Marco hijinks. One thing this show has over Gravity Falls is there's more of it which is great.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
in which Eclipsa comes to try and rule over Mewni only to discover its a smoking ruin.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

What better time to take over?

Does make me wonder if after this adventure, Star and Moon are going to work on patching up their relationship a bit. They already seem to understand each other a little better, though it's really only a start. And with Glossaryck gone, Star needs a new teacher.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I've just seen the first lewd fan art of The Mime, but that's to be expected.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Like I said, way too much time.

Debating these for a new av, but not sure about text.

E: Toffee getting killed via pillar is also a good one, hmmmmmm...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Junpei Hyde posted:

Debating these for a new av, but not sure about text.

E: Toffee getting killed via pillar is also a good one, hmmmmmm...

Ladies

Also, decided to pick one up for myself.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

By coincidence, I finally finished the second half of season 2 about a week before The Battle for Mewni aired. Two things about the show struck me as I got back into it:

1. Over the course of season two I feel like the show really found its groove. It went from a show that I checked in on every now and then because the average episode had just enough good jokes in it to keep my interest, to possibly my favorite current cartoon.

2. I totally forgot that several elements of earlier episodes existed: the popular mean girl, the nerdy friends etc. I think the show is better with their reduced roles.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This is abuse.

Butterflies are not supposed to eat chocolate!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I tried to figure out why that looked so weird for a while before I realized her cheek marks are missing.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Skippy McPants posted:

This is abuse.

Butterflies are not supposed to eat chocolate!

You try stopping her.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Roach Warehouse posted:

2. I totally forgot that several elements of earlier episodes existed: the popular mean girl, the nerdy friends etc. I think the show is better with their reduced roles.

The nerdy friends, in particular, were basically forced by Disney. They said Marco had to have some male friends. So Nefcy never really liked them in the first place.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Nefcy did mention that they finally figured out what to do with them in season 3

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Something I just thought about and it might have been speculated before, but where did Ludo get his scissors? I don't think he could have earned them so I guess stolen?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Nefcy did mention that they finally figured out what to do with them in season 3

I can't believe they're going to die.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

Something I just thought about and it might have been speculated before, but where did Ludo get his scissors? I don't think he could have earned them so I guess stolen?

Nicked from his parents, maybe. Or maybe Heckapoo doesn't make it so hard on everyone who wants a pair of scissors, just those who annoy/interest her.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Junpei Hyde posted:

I can't believe they're going to die.

Do you think the townspeople will ever find their heads?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Roach Warehouse posted:

A lot of the early stuff in season 1 feels like "oh my god guys Gravity Falls is making all the money, we have to be as much like it as possible." I'm glad the show's found its own sense of identity since.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The Crazy Piano YouTube channel, which was the one that got me to watch this show in the first place, just released his latest video. It's a goodun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6tceg1i5ic

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

It is done

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Xelkelvos posted:

You don't think he could have earned them? Bullshit. Heckapoo's test was all about endurance and single minded obsession, Ludo probably ACED her test. His key charteristics are never giving up and enduring massive amounts of pain and suffering in pursuit of his goals.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
if you're a fan of behind-the-scenes stuff, Daron Nefcy posted this neat video from a visit to Rough Draft Korea where they show off some of the inked animation from the last episode. There's also gonna be a panel at SDCC later today where they'll be showing a clip from a future episode, though it's anyone's guess if it'll get leaked or uploaded.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You don't think he could have earned them? Bullshit. Heckapoo's test was all about endurance and single minded obsession, Ludo probably ACED her test. His key charteristics are never giving up and enduring massive amounts of pain and suffering in pursuit of his goals.

Most of the princesses in the St. Olga's episode had their own scissors as well, so it's not out of the question that it's easier for royalty to 'earn' the scissors, or that they're passed down or even bought and sold. It's worth keeping in mind that Marco only got caught because he went 'scissor happy,' and Heckapoo was probably less inclined to make things easy on him since they were A) stolen and B) her personal scissors.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There are not enough covers of the Ballad of Star Butterfly. Step it up internet

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Macaluso posted:

There are not enough covers of the Ballad of Star Butterfly. Step it up internet

You heard them, everyone. We all need to record and upload our covers with lovely headset mics.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
And we've got our SDCC preview:

First, new outfit. Looks like it's a cross between the Mewnian style worn by Queen Moon and Star's earth dresses, which is probably a signifier of the changed status quo now that Star's not living on Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80czcfCpq9Y

Next, looks like a flashback episode to when Star first started going out with Tom. It'll be interesting to see how much they go into what their relationship was like, and what it means for Star, Tom, and Marco in the future.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 21, 2017

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Roach Warehouse posted:

I can't find the exact quote/interview, but I'm sure I read something where the writers said "yeah Disney said we had to give Marco male friends that we didn't know how to use so they're just disappearing into the background forever"

I would love to see the other cheerleaders back though, they seemed nice

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

And we've got our SDCC preview:

First, new outfit. Looks like it's a cross between the Mewnian style worn by Queen Moon and Star's earth dresses, which is probably a signifier of the changed status quo now that Star's not living on Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80czcfCpq9Y

Next, looks like a flashback episode to when Star first started going out with Tom. It'll be interesting to see how much they go into what their relationship was like, and what it means for Star, Tom, and Marco in the future.

New outfit has a narwhal making it automatically the best.

I note that Queen Moon has those curly bidoos she stops wearing in season 2, which is a good clue that this is a flashback.

Also, Tom has (I suspect) one hell of a mother.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

nerdman42 posted:

I can't find the exact quote/interview, but I'm sure I read something where the writers said "yeah Disney said we had to give Marco male friends that we didn't know how to use so they're just disappearing into the background forever"

I would love to see the other cheerleaders back though, they seemed nice

I posted about it earlier in the thread, but it comes from Daron Nefcy herself:

quote:

It’s funny like you know pitching a show for a network and stuff, so… and Disney is so awesome, they just let me do so many cool things in the show and they’ve been like so awesome, they really are trying to do amazing things in animation. But one of the things they really wanted for the first season with Marco, is that they were like “He doesn’t have male friends. And we want him to have male friends ‘cause we want him to be more… male, I guess? I don’t know.” So I didn’t know… my original plan was for, you know it’s like Star and Marco are kinda like these only children, and they connect together, and they have like this special bond. And I didn’t really see Marco as having like friends. So I had to came up with some friends, so I created Ferguson and Alfonzo. I have to say that I didn’t feel like I was getting a lot out of them. Like I really didn’t know what to do with them. They are - they do come back a little in the 3rd season, I can tell you that. They are not gone forever, but honestly, I really didn’t know what to do with them, they were kinda hard for me to write. But I’m glad that you like them. It was almost becoming a joke, we were like “Oh, we don’t like them”. They are in the comic, though.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't mind seeing the other student characters, but honestly outside of a handful they're all kinda flat. And while there's potential for them to be fleshed out, given that it's the summer and Star doesn't even live on Earth anymore, it's hard to see where they'd even fit into the show going forward.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

New outfit has a narwhal making it automatically the best.

I note that Queen Moon has those curly bidoos she stops wearing in season 2, which is a good clue that this is a flashback.

Also, Tom has (I suspect) one hell of a mother.

I've seen speculation that the guy King River is wrestling in the clip is Tom's dad, which would mean that Greg Universe has finally found a kindred spirit :v:

One other thing I've seen mentioned is that, if the clip is a flashback, it puts Blood Moon Ball in a whole new light. This whole time, we've been assuming that Tom was trying to manipulate Star into dancing with him under the Blood Moon so that their souls would be bonded, in an attempt to forcibly get back together with her. With this clip in mind, though, it's possible that wasn't the case (Or at least, not completely), and that Tom was instead genuinely trying to rekindle the relationship by reminding Star of what got them together in the first place.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 22, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I just figured being a demon prince, Tom has a pretty hosed up idea of interpersonal relationships, on top of his anger issues and expecting to get everything he wants. He is actively working on all that though.

He's interesting in that he's basically all set up to be a major villain, but doesn't necessarily want to be. He reached out to Marco falsely but turned out to genuinely enjoy his company, and seems to be quite relaxed when left to his own devices.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I've seen speculation that the guy King River is wrestling in the clip is Tom's dad, which would mean that Greg Universe has finally found a kindred spirit :v:

One other thing I've seen mentioned is that, if the clip is a flashback, it puts Blood Moon Ball in a whole new light. This whole time, we've been assuming that Tom was trying to manipulate Star into dancing with him under the Blood Moon so that their souls would be bonded, in an attempt to forcibly get back together with her. With this clip in mind, though, it's possible that wasn't the case (Or at least, not completely), and that Tom was instead genuinely trying to rekindle the relationship by reminding Star of what got them together in the first place.

And why he took it so personally when he saw Star dancing with someone else and loving every second of it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Awwww, Tom's mom is adorable.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Awwww, Tom's mom is adorable.

I can only imagine how she goes about her routine of tormenting the souls of thousands.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the hypocrisy of the royal family - they are super racist against monsters but think nothing of consorting with literal demons just because they have a real ruling class that they can hobnob with. The Avarians never came across as a royal family in that sense to me, more nouveau-riche family living in a mcmansion, partially because Moon was still being pretty lovely about her behaviour when meeting with them. Very closed off and try-not-to-touch anything in posture.

Edit: Or it could be like a lot of portrayals of elves and dwarves - elves are considered "Better" by virtue of being elves in most traditional settings while dwarves are the underground tinkerers that tend to get ignored.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I wonder if they're going to make a separate Season 3 OP, since that first one made out Toffee-Ludo to be a regular villain, but now they're both gone beyond a doubt, and the focus seems like it's going to be on Eclipsa as the main antagonist. Not to mention the wand is back together.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

changed status quo now that Star's not living on Earth.

Oh that's a thing? That's a shame, I really like Marco's parents, his silly dad in particular.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I mean its not like there's any reason for it to be a big deal since marco has scissors now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I don't think they've straight-out gone and said "Star's won't be moving back to Earth," but it's pretty clear that's the direction they're going. After all, just look at how they changed the credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTgyEHDIKbw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFMM1jqtcBk

Still, I doubt we've seen the last of earth, or Marco's parents. Like Motherfucker said, Marco has his own scissors, and it's not like Star isn't going to want to come back to visit.