Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hey, one of the other crystal prisoners looks like a bunny version of Baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
https://twitter.com/DisneyXD/status/911274008955539456

Preview for two week Star event starting November 6.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Between this show and Steven Universe I'm getting really tired of bomb formats, but at least we've got a date for the new episodes now.

Also hey, Glossaryck's back

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Between this show and Steven Universe I'm getting really tired of bomb formats, but at least we've got a date for the new episodes now.

Looks like he has little pink wings now. And I think I may be getting that alternate reality episode I was hoping for because I'm pretty sure Rhombulus with a missing right nipple fired on a Rhombulus with a missing left nipple.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I can't believe Star Vs. is probably going to come back before Steven Universe, but that seems to be how things are going to play out. Really didn't think Cartoon Network would keep the show on Hiatus this long...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Cable networks hate you and everything you stand for.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like this show and Janna is my role model now.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I honestly wouldn't be at all shocked if CN is actively trying to kill SU without openly saying as much. I can think of several ways in which the show is probably a PR nightmare for them.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I honestly wouldn't be at all shocked if CN is actively trying to kill SU without openly saying as much. I can think of several ways in which the show is probably a PR nightmare for them.

Eh CN's given worse treatment to shows that are nowhere near a "PR nightmare"

apparently part the problem is that you can't easily rerun random episodes without confusing new viewers (because continuity), which is why when the show does get rerun it's usually in themed blocks

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That would be more plausible if they weren't giving the same treatment to all of their other shows minus Teen Titans Go. Also, they're still putting out lots of Steven Universe merchandise (including an art book and a vinyl record of the shows soundtrack) so they clearly do still think it's marketable and have financial reasons to want it to succeed. They've just decided not to release new episodes because ????

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

apparently part the problem is that you can't easily rerun random episodes without confusing new viewers (because continuity), which is why when the show does get rerun it's usually in themed blocks

This is a trap I hope Star doesn't fall into after the very story heavy season opener/last season's closer. Serialization is nice but it leads to poo poo like... what we're seeing now!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

TwoPair posted:

This is a trap I hope Star doesn't fall into after the very story heavy season opener/last season's closer. Serialization is nice but it leads to poo poo like... what we're seeing now!

Well star's gonna return with a two week bomb in november so I'd say it's already too late (though Disney does a lot better with their rerun schedule from what I've heard)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CN is trying to cargo cult DIsney's stingy release schedule, I'd imagine. They've treated popular shows like garbage forever whether or not they want to kill them.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
My understanding is that networks like Disney and CN have gotten it into their heads that they can use bomb releases to encourage Netflix-style binge watching. For network purposes, it does make some amount of sense-people's viewing habits are changing, and kids especially are less likely to watch live television than they are to simply watch their favorite shows on their phones or tablets. By releasing a bunch of episodes at once, the networks get the benefit of being able to advertise the bombs as big premier events, and when the episodes are released all at once it's more likely that each episode will receive a more equitable number of views instead of having a big drop-off after the premier (Especially if they're being watched on the app, where it's relatively easy to watch a whole bunch of episodes in one go). And, by encouraging kids to watch through the app, they can also directly advertise more shows and games that are available on the app, therefore encouraging kids to spend more time on the app, and thus garnering better numbers and thus more advertising revenue.

...Well, that's what I think is happening :words:. Whether or not it works in practice is something only the networks would know, but it is worth noting that Star was renewed for a fourth season explicitly on the back of its performance on streaming platforms, and in spite of its relatively weak television ratings. By the time episodes start airing again it will have been a full year since they last aired on a 'normal' weekly release schedule, and I've got a feeling that these types of bombs are going to be the status quo for the foreseeable future.

At least Disney's handling it better than CN, though. They said straight-up that the next episodes were coming in November along with a brief teaser just after the Battle for Mewni event, they publicly released their SDCC clip, and now we've got a trailer and a release date for the new season more than a month and a half in advance of the new episodes. In contrast, you could easily mistake SU for having been actually canceled-officially, there's just been nothing, and it wouldn't surprise me if that ultimately ended up hurting their overall ratings when the show does come back.

Edit: Just noticed the original announcement tweet was deleted for... some reason, here's the trailer on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imb-vOkz-8s

Double edit:

https://twitter.com/Giancarlo_Volpe/status/913607954573619200

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 29, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Episode titles announced:

Week 1:

11/6: Scent of a Hoodie/Rest in Pudding
11/7: Club Snubbed/Stranger Danger
11/8: Demoncism/Sophomore Slump
11/9: Lint Catcher/Trial By Square

Week 2:

11/13: Princess Turdina/Starfari
11/14: Lava Lake Beach/Sweet Dreams
11/15: Death Peck/Ponymonium
11/16: Night Life/Deep Dive, Monster Bash (1 Hour mid-season finale)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

11/13: Princess Turdina

Marco meets Pony Head's family in his princess role? Can't wait.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Jesus, for some reason I though it was gonna be like Starbruary and they'd air one 11 min segment a day, not entire episodes. :stare: Oh well, I guess we're in for another couple of months of hiatus after November anyway so getting the rest of the first half this soon definitely softens the blow.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
So last year they had some neat stop-motion Halloween promos, and it looks like they decided to do them again:

https://twitter.com/DisneyXD/status/916394341274234880

Last year's, for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7zSgabGt2A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2TZL8vWv2I

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Double post, but there's a new trailer up on instagram of all places, and it's reaaal interesting.

Some thoughts: It definitely looks like the main conflict of the season is setting up to be Eclipsa versus Moon, with Star caught in-between. I'd also venture a guess that a major theme is going to be Star taking an active role in preparing to become the future Queen of Mewni, after spending most of the past two seasons actively avoiding it.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

"Just 'cause I'm a princess doesn't mean I can do anything I want!"

stinger: "I can do what I want."

Dark side Star plotline is go. Thought the hiatus killed my interest but that trailer got me in maximum overhype.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Double post, but there's a new trailer up on instagram of all places, and it's reaaal interesting.

Some thoughts: It definitely looks like the main conflict of the season is setting up to be Eclipsa versus Moon, with Star caught in-between. I'd also venture a guess that a major theme is going to be Star taking an active role in preparing to become the future Queen of Mewni, after spending most of the past two seasons actively avoiding it.

did i hear Ashley Burch at the end of that trailer saying "Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to."?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Lupus Rufus posted:

did i hear Ashley Burch at the end of that trailer saying "Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to."?

It was Janna. Probably out of context, because misleading the fans is the creators' favorite pastime.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxjajj3GTG4

Basically.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

I know who Pony Head's been calling Earth Turd lately.

still funny though

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

This guy has a tendency to forgive male characters' issues than female ones'. I distinctly remember him seriously hating on Marvel from Gravity Falls and not on Dipper, and if I'm not mistaken he did the same with Steven Universe.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I really don't know what he's referencing in terms of Steven Universe "going back to stuff from Season 1 nobody cares about".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

I really don't know what he's referencing in terms of Steven Universe "going back to stuff from Season 1 nobody cares about".

He's probably referring to townie episodes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

paradoxGentleman posted:

This guy has a tendency to forgive male characters' issues than female ones'. I distinctly remember him seriously hating on Marvel from Gravity Falls and not on Dipper, and if I'm not mistaken he did the same with Steven Universe.

I think this is the guy who did the :airquote:hilarious:airquote: 'welcome to tumblr' video.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think this is the guy who did the :airquote:hilarious:airquote: 'welcome to tumblr' video.

welcome to deviantart, welcome to facebook, welcome to youtube, welcome to tumblr, welcome to fanfiction.net, welcome to steam, and welcome to kickstarter

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
We get it, he is a tears for fears fan.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

drat, I came here expecting a new, incredibly revelatory promo from the amount of new posts and it's actually this??

Have to watch it out of spite, I guess

e: it was okay

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 13, 2017

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

paradoxGentleman posted:

To be fair, Mabel got really awful towards the end of that show. I don't think Dipper was a perfect guy but he was better than Mabel.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

DoubleCakes posted:

To be fair, Mabel got really awful towards the end of that show. I don't think Dipper was a perfect guy but he was better than Mabel.

Specifically he said she started as the best character and ended as the worst, which is fairly accurate.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ruflux posted:

drat, I came here expecting a new, incredibly revelatory promo from the amount of new posts and it's actually this??

Have to watch it out of spite, I guess

e: it was okay

Good news!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzwhcVLC_hs

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

paradoxGentleman posted:

This guy has a tendency to forgive male characters' issues than female ones'. I distinctly remember him seriously hating on Mabel from Gravity Falls and not on Dipper, and if I'm not mistaken he did the same with Steven Universe.

He wasn't wrong about Mabel though: the show had her do some pretty bad stuff and, unlike Dipper, she never really gets called out on it or is forced to change in any meaningful way.

Dipper gets to have a character arc and change and stuff and Mabel doesn't, which is a shame and a major flaw in an otherwise pretty great show. She did have a lot of good episodes though and when the writers weren't having her do horrible stuff she was a fun and entertaining character.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

He wasn't wrong about Mabel though: the show had her do some pretty bad stuff and, unlike Dipper, she never really gets called out on it or is forced to change in any meaningful way.

Dipper gets to have a character arc and change and stuff and Mabel doesn't, which is a shame and a major flaw in an otherwise pretty great show. She did have a lot of good episodes though and when the writers weren't having her do horrible stuff she was a fun and entertaining character.

The only time I can think she was really bad was when she was actually choosing to live in Bill's fake paradise, and that was brought on by both the idea that Dipper was going to leave her, and her being aware of the hellhole that was going on outside. And even after she chose to leave, she realized just how lovely she was being and wanted him to do what he wanted.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I never understand why people keep saying that. Mabel gets a ton of poo poo for her mistakes in both that Sock Opera and Last Mabelcorn, the former of which explicitly points out that Dipper goes through a lot to please her with little in return. Mabel's arc is great.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

She got to beat the poo poo out of a bunch of unicorns and be completely justified in it.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

She just wasn't the main character, you mean. Really, that's kind of at the root of the whole problem, Dipper is clearly the main character but sometimes it feels like the show's trying to sell us Mabel as his co-star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The problem with Mabel is that she kept on getting relegated to the lovely b-plots in the second season. On the other hand, Dipper's character was drastically improved when they dropped the creepy Wendy romance thing.