Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

X_Toad posted:

She just wasn't the main character, you mean. Really, that's kind of at the root of the whole problem, Dipper is clearly the main character but sometimes it feels like the show's trying to sell us Mabel as his co-star.

I think this (sort of) hits at the issue the show ran into, in that Mabel simply didn't care about the show's underlying mysteries-she just wanted to spend her summer having fun and connecting with her family. And while that was hardly a flaw of her character, as a result it often put her in opposition to Dipper and much of the show's audience, who were very much invested in figuring out the identity of the author and the secrets of Gravity Falls. Now, I wouldn't go so far as to say she wasn't a main character (She was), or that she was in any way a bad character (She wasn't), but the show definitely failed to utilize her as effectively as it did Dipper in advancing the show's central plot.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The problem with Mabel is that she kept on getting relegated to the lovely b-plots in the second season. On the other hand, Dipper's character was drastically improved when they dropped the creepy Wendy romance thing.

This is also true. That subplot was by far the worst thing about Gravity Falls, and dragged down some of the show's best episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I did like how they started to drop the Wendy crush - Dipper goes back in time with Mabel, and sees a 3 year old Wendy, and her friend points out "Wendy thinks your cute :3:". Then Dipper is just "Ok, I get it, that is kinda creepy. Shut up..."

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Let's get back on track here. From what I've seen of the trailers, it looks like they're committing to the new dynamic of Star on Mewni with Marco on Earth, which will definitely be an interesting twist compared to the first two seasons (and Marco obviously has the scissors so they can still hang out when the plot needs them to).

I'm down for that, as long as Janna gets the proper screen time she clearly deserves (and probably won't get :()

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Benne posted:

Let's get back on track here. From what I've seen of the trailers, it looks like they're committing to the new dynamic of Star on Mewni with Marco on Earth, which will definitely be an interesting twist compared to the first two seasons (and Marco obviously has the scissors so they can still hang out when the plot needs them to).

I'm down for that, as long as Janna gets the proper screen time she clearly deserves (and probably won't get :()

I've got some good news :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yce5N4Y8jbM

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
We're now at the point where the time we have to wait for the new episodes is less than the time it'll take for all of them to air :v: As such, there's a new official poster for... Starmber? NovemStar? NovStarmber? Star Bomba? Whatever the two week event is gonna be called:

Also another mini-promo from Disney XD's Tumblr

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Perfect in every way.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z03zoaZK4bQ

Short preview clip from Scent of a Hoodie, the first episode to air this Monday. Looks like it'll be picking up where Season 2 left off, with Pony Head trying to help Star deal with her crush on Marco.

There's also another short preview that apparently aired after the most recent live chat, which features a rare sighting of Jackie, and, more importantly, :siren:Marco's Cape:siren::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPUhf-b80Vc

Three more days!

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z03zoaZK4bQ

Short preview clip from Scent of a Hoodie, the first episode to air this Monday. Looks like it'll be picking up where Season 2 left off, with Pony Head trying to help Star deal with her crush on Marco.

There's also another short preview that apparently aired after the most recent live chat, which features a rare sighting of Jackie, and, more importantly, :siren:Marco's Cape:siren::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPUhf-b80Vc

Three more days!

If I've learned anything from Star Vs YouTube videos it's that Star has a huge following amongst Spanish speaking audiences. I'm legitimately curious how that came about.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Macrame_God posted:

If I've learned anything from Star Vs YouTube videos it's that Star has a huge following amongst Spanish speaking audiences. I'm legitimately curious how that came about.

One of the protagonists is Hispanic and the show makes no secret of his Mexican heritage. It's not hard to connect the dots.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Macrame_God posted:

Maybe it's because Marco is Hispanic? :ms:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

One of the protagonists is Hispanic and the show makes no secret of his Mexican heritage. It's not hard to connect the dots.

Of couse. Now I feel stupid. :downs:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
:siren:NEW EPISODES ARE HERE:siren: (Also check out this rad poster by board revisionist Ariel V.H.)

First episode is Scent of a Hoodie (Official description: Star goes to the Royal Laundry and meets the Knight of the wash followed by Rest in Pudding (Star has recurring visions of Glossaryck and believes he is haunting her) Both episodes are now available on the app and through WatchDisneyXD, and will be airing tonight at 8 PM EST.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 8, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Sir Lavabo of the Wash is even more amazing than the preview made him out to be.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
A bit late on what was clearly supposed to be the Halloween episode, weren't they?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pakled posted:

A bit late on what was clearly supposed to be the Halloween episode, weren't they?

Look, the Network executives wanted more eyeballs on Ducktales at that time.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

RIP Billy Dilley

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

then why'd they put so many Glossaryck eyeballs on Star?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sir Lavabo of the Wash is even more amazing than the preview made him out to be.

"But your eyes, they had da bloodlust."

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Gotta love how Star (a princess of a magical, fantastical kingdom) has to phone Janna (a regular born human being from boring ol' Earth) for help with her supernatural predicament.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Pakled posted:

Speaking of seasonal episodes...

source

For context, remember way back when I posted this?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Also in other news apparently there's gonna be a new version of the guidebook that's coming out, but chances are that it'll probably be the exact same as the existing version but with an extra sticker sheet or something, so as far as exciting news goes it's a bit of a wash.

As it turned out, the extra content was apparently a small booklet about "Stump Day," which is basically the equivalent of Christmas on Mewni (As well as being Star's birthday), and a revised inside cover-which, if the book ends up corresponding to the episode, means we're gonna see Marco throwing Star a Quinceañera.

Anyway, thoughts/observations on the episodes tonight:

-When Pony Head's the voice of reason to Star, you know something's wrong :v: I will say though that I've really grown on Pony Head's character, and I think this episode did a good job in utilizing her-she's terrible, but in a fun way, and a great situational foil to Star.
-Moon's exasperated "NOT AGAIN" to Star in the punch bowl was great
-There were some great visual gags; Star running with the blanket over her face was especially good
-Marco was still wearing his cape when he was hanging out with Jackie :lol:

On the whole, a solid pair of episodes. It is a bit surprising that they brought Glossaryck back so quickly, but it'll be interesting to see what they end up doing with him, and how the Magic High Commission reacts.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 7, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Meanwhile, Brian H. Kim posted three tracks from the new episodes, including one for the Hoodie Chase.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I am curious as to how and why Glossaryk's back. I assumed the book had a remnant of himself in it and the magic gold juice brought him back that way, but was his spirit trying to prod Star into doing that? Is he a blank slate? Is this the first time this has happened?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also surprised the opening did not change at the end with Toffe and Ludo both gone.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I have to say, I was not expecting Eclipsa to return to Castle Butterfly with so little fanfare.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
New day, new pair of episodes, another great poster from Ariel VH

Club Snubbed: Tom snubs Star at the Silver Bell Ball

Stranger Danger: Star meets the ancient Queen Eclipsa.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also surprised the opening did not change at the end with Toffe and Ludo both gone.

Yeah seriously, I was convinced it was going to be a shot of Eclipsa. Maybe there's a new villain that they haven't revealed yet? Maybe if Star springs Eclipsa after the trial it'll be the Magic High Commission? Toffee/Ludo feels like an obvious placeholder, but I have no idea what for.

I have to say, I was not expecting Eclipsa to return to Castle Butterfly with so little fanfare.

Everything about Eclipsa has defied expectations. She's been built up to be this incredible, looming threat, and yet... she's a nice woman who likes candy? Her biggest crime is eloping with a monster? On the one hand, she's clearly not who she said she is. But on the other hand, she freely admitted to the use of dark magic, and even when threatened acted weirdly nonchalant. There's something going on here, and it's hard to say what.

Also re: Club Snubbed, I'm not exactly thrilled about Star backsliding into potentially liking Tom again, especially just when they'd both let go, but if nothing else it'll be interesting to see where this leads.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 8, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah seriously, I was convinced it was going to be a shot of Eclipsa. Maybe there's a new villain that they haven't revealed yet? Maybe if Star springs Eclipsa after the trial it'll be the Magic High Commission? Toffee/Ludo feels like an obvious placeholder, but I have no idea what for.

I would love for the opening to continuously evolve as the status quo changes because that would be the ultimate joke on the people who made a big deal out of that con leak.

Edit: Oh yeah, and good news for people who buy the episodes on Amazon, because the Battle for Mewni set is updating with the new episodes.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

I would love for the opening to continuously evolve as the status quo changes because that would be the ultimate joke on the people who made a big deal out of that con leak.

Edit: Oh yeah, and good news for people who buy the episodes on Amazon, because the Battle for Mewni set is updating with the new episodes.

I will say that while it's now outdated, I do miss the season 1 intro-it just felt so much more punchy and energetic compared to the current one.

Also as a quick housekeeping note, I just updated the OP a bit, mostly to optimize and/or remove some gifs and resize images, so hopefully it's less horrifically taxing to load now :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm liking Eclipsa so far and I'm looking forward to seeing where her plot is going.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Updated OP looks great. Did they change the design for Eclipsa? I feel like she looked taller and thinner in the episode but perhaps I'm mistaken. So far I am not down with Star moving back to Mewni and hope it doesn't last. I'm still enjoying the show immensely and and appreciate maybe it makes sense for progressing the story but I feel it's at its best when Marco and Star are having misadventures.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Corte posted:

Updated OP looks great. Did they change the design for Eclipsa? I feel like she looked taller and thinner in the episode but perhaps I'm mistaken. So far I am not down with Star moving back to Mewni and hope it doesn't last. I'm still enjoying the show immensely and and appreciate maybe it makes sense for progressing the story but I feel it's at its best when Marco and Star are having misadventures.

She just looks that way because they finally got her out of that poofy dress and giant hat.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'll be interested to see if the angle they're taking with Eclipsa isn't that she's the villain herself, but that her deeds made the high commission do bad things/make bad calls due to their prejudice towards her lover.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

'nother promo image (from boarder Charlotte Jackson)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

I'll be interested to see if the angle they're taking with Eclipsa isn't that she's the villain herself, but that her deeds made the high commission do bad things/make bad calls due to their prejudice towards her lover.

I'm really expecting this given Buff Frog showing that there are peaceful monsters and the whole stuff from back in season 1 about Mewni's founding where it was heavily implied Star's ancestors drove out innocent helpless monsters to make their kingdom.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

It would be a real trip if after all the creepy buildup it turns out Moon is the main season three villain.

Meanwhile, Marco is going through adventure withdrawal. And I told you guys Janna's quote was lifted out of context.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Your poster for the day is brought to you by Cassie Zwart

And today's episodes:

Demonicism: Star and Tom's friendship is put to the test when Tom decides to get rid of his demons

Sophmore Slump: Marco decides to put in a full effort to living life in the present on Earth.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Not a fan of where things are going but still on board.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm really expecting this given Buff Frog showing that there are peaceful monsters and the whole stuff from back in season 1 about Mewni's founding where it was heavily implied Star's ancestors drove out innocent helpless monsters to make their kingdom.

the enemy has always been the centuries long status quo splitting the monsters and mewnans, and the magical high commission is basically the group in charge of enforcing that boundary, so if there's an "eclypsa was evil all along" twist it's going to be really surprising to me.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Corte posted:

Not a fan of where things are going but still on board.

Same. When he said "You're my best friend" to Jackie, I knew they were setting up to torpedo that relationship. It would've been nice if he brought along Jackie and/or Janna or something, but :shrug: this is Star's show, but at the same time Marco is a main character so certain decisions have to be made to maintain a certain character status quo.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Yeah, Jackie and Janna are pretty cool. They brought along Alfonso and Ferguson for some crazy adventures in S1 and even those dorks were fun to be around with, so these two girls being part of the Eclipsa storyline would be a blast. Just don't do anymore Starco awkwardness. And I just noticed the cape Marco wears in the S3 intro is the one he got this season, so he's probably not ever gonna leave it behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Every scene not featuring Eclipsa feels like treading water.