Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This show is pretty funny. Their timing on the visual gags is spot-on.

But I'll be honest, 90% of the reason I gave it a shot was because I found the intro insufferably catchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Wanna have a scene where one of Alan Tudyk's characters does a mocking impression of the other. Either River Butterfly doing Ludo or vice versa, I don't care which, it would just be cute. :3:

Getting a one-on-one scene between two characters you voice has got to be a highlight for any voice actor.

I presume they refer to it as, 'doing a Billy West'.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 5, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The dirty secret of the VO community is that there's only, like, five of them at any given time.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That was fun, a good payoff for what they've built up over the last two seasons.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm happy that Ludo got the killing blow. Felt pretty good to see him swatting Toffee with that pillar.

"It turns out cha dead."

Alan Tudyk is a treasure.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

He's dead enough to fulfill the terms of a magical contract so that counts as pretty dead-dead.

However, I think we all know how much that counts for in a fictional setting where magic is real. Narratively, I'd say it's better if Toffee stays dead, Lekmet too. Messing around with bringing people back from the dead often spoils any concept of stakes or jeopardy in a story. But whatever, the writing in this show has impressed me pretty consistently, and whatever direction they take things I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I just assumed they were trophies from other members of the Butterfly family. I seem to remember in Game of Flags that a few of Moon's relatives also had the cheek making thingies.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This is abuse.

Butterflies are not supposed to eat chocolate!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Sir Lavabo of the Wash is even more amazing than the preview made him out to be.

"But your eyes, they had da bloodlust."

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'd blame the pacing issues on the hiatus. Sure, maybe it feels off the show to return on such a subdued note, but remember that we're only three episodes out from the biggest climax they show's seen to date. I doubt the writers and other production staff get any say in when the show airs.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I really hope they do something clever with Eclipsa. I'll be disappointed if halfway through the season there's big turn where she does something manically evil.

Because right now she's had something like 45 seconds of screen time and already I like her more than anyone else in the show.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Honestly it'd be more surprising if she did turn out to be evil at this point.

Ideally, I'd like to see them follow a line where, say, Eclipsa isn't evil but more carelessly selfish and self-interested. Like Star's worst qualities taken to the nth degree. We saw a little bit of that this episode with her matter of factly mentioned that Star's problem would be solved because Squiring for the laundry knight would kill Macro.

So, less an outright farcical evil and more someone who's worldview provides a legitimate risk and temptation for Star. The best villains are the ones who serve as a dark mirror to the protagonist.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Madurai posted:

Eclipsa's going to turn out to be the heavy because Star went to bat for her immediately.

Oh, she's the new primary antagonist, no question. I just want her to have more complexity and nuance than Toffee, who served as a good introductory bad guy but didn't really teach Star any lessons about herself.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 9, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hey, Tom and Macro get along, why can't Star have both? One bad boy, one knight in shining armor. She could even use magic to combine them into some Cronenberg-esque monstrosity. Good times.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 13, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I personally like it, which is weird since I typically hate these kinds of romantic plots. I think part of it is because Marco's romantic experiences have thus far tracked uncomfortably close to my own, which adds more than a little personal impact that isn't going to be there for others.

I don't think you're alone in that. The romantic subplots read as genuine because they're exactly the sort of flailing, confused mess that kids in their teens experience when learning about attraction.

Unrelated, but my favorite bit so far this season was the absolute no-sell on Macro coming clean with the princesses. "He can be a princess if he wants to! Turdina's a state of mind!"

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 14, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I think the point was that the Ponies, all of them, are just insane. To the point that Ponyhead may be the most rational member of her family, and that is terrifying.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tumblr more likely, and maybe a few subreddits. This thread, like the whole forum, is for olds who can't fathom them new-fangled social medias.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Whiz Palace posted:

Eclipsa seizes the throne and Moon is exiled, and that's how we bring the show back to Earth.

Boo! Earth is boring. Have Eclipsa take over Earth and then exile all the fun characters to Mewni.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 8, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Glad this show is continuing, moving things to Mewni opened up a lot of new possibilities. That season 4 teaser spoiler is pretty hype.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And/or regenerate Doctor Who style.

Yeah, if they heal him they can just swap the voice and write it off as a side effect.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Do like the direction they've taken with Eclipsa. This new conflict is a good progression from the pure, monochrome villainy we got with Toffee.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Star lives in anticipation of abs.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I really like Tom rolling with the punches and being a total bro to everyone.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mostly it's Marco's obsessiveness that pushes people away from him and Star helps him loosen up in that regard; remember how he gets in "Sophomore Slump."

Yeah, Star's influence has mellowed him out a lot over time. He was pretty neurotic in the earlier episodes.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

"Da, our generation is garbage."

This show about magical princesses, disembodied pony heads, and monster frogs is too real.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Was there a story somewhere between seasons 3 and 4 to explain why Star can effortlessly use magic without the Wand or is it just presumed to be another example of her doing whatever the hell she pleases?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The answer for this and every other piece of media is: no, it's all shipping.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And if the teasers are any indication, something like half of the remaining episodes deal with Star's relationship drama so in this instance I wouldn't say the internet is reading too much into things.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tetracube posted:

the star fandom is unusual, in that it makes me feel like I need to have a hazmat suit on to safely observe it

I feel like this is true of any popular kids show that has overlap appeal with adults. See also: Gravity Falls and Adventure Time.

And I can recall at least a few anecdotal stories from parents who couldn't let their kids search for My Little Pony stuff without supervision because of what they might come across.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I am delighted by watching Star become a sassy version of her mother as Eclipsa keeps forcing her to be the adult in the room.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Something else I really like is the writing quality in the relationships between Star, Tom, and Macro. A lesser show would short-shrift it by making Tom more of a jerk, but the way he's presented it makes sense that Star is attracted to him and that Marco is his friend. That triumvirate is probably the best constructed narrative tension in the show, in the sense that there are multiple satisfactory ways it could resolve and while some seem more likely none read as certain.

Oh, and also Janna. The way she's insinuated herself into Mewni while everyone else from Earth dropped out of existence is great.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Even if they wanted to and could pull off the writing, there is no way in hell that Disney would let one of their shows so much as imply any kind of poly relationship.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That's a shame, and also a weird thing to expunge from an episode that also includes Star crushing on a buff lady.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I could see that, but I think we're past the point where completely destroying magic is an option given how much they've anthropomorphized many of the spells.
Richard, the Narwhal in Spell with no Name, even has a son! We can't lose [intermission to check wiki] Billy!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 24, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The logline for the last episode sure is something.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 28, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

Like it feels like she was sort of never allowed to actually BE a character or have any real sort of agency.

It's a fair point, but honestly, it's one that applies to every character from Earth. Even Janna is mostly around to do a bit. All of the arcs happen on Mewi. That's the big reason I'm glad they moved away from the slice-of-life high school thing the show started with. Outside of establishing Star and Macro's dynamic, they didn't really seem to have much idea what to do with that backdrop.

So yeah, Taco's felt perfunctory but I didn't really expect more given the amount of time they've got left to tie off loose ends.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

They only dated for a few episodes, but I understand people wanting to see her get more development. Ideally Star and Macro's early relationships shouldn't feel like rote stepping stones. Look at Tom, he's his own dude and has even gotten whole episodes with him at the center. That said, Star's relationships are invariably going to get more of the very limited time the show has because she is the protagonist and the main focus. You see a similar difference in the amount of development between Star's parents and friends vs. Marco's parents and friends, but I guess nobody complains about that because it doesn't apply to shipping arguments.

As for Tom, not being interested in Star's life has been a thing for him since the start. Like, every time she's doing a thing to improve Mewni he tags along but is totally checked out. They're friends, and they're together, but they don't have any common interests. Hell, he shares more with Macro than he does with Star.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 30, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

That the Earth cast basically got phased out all but completely for what many felt were arbitrary reasons did not sit well with people either. It felt...lazy.

While the transition was rushed, it was anything but arbitrary. The show had nothing left to do on Earth. Better to get Star and Macro to a place where new plotlines can unfold rather than leave them stagnant for the sake of the supporting cast.

Sockser posted:

How come Doop Doop doesn't live in Star's wand / pocket dimension with the other spells?

It was just a bit, and also a reminder that while she's gotten better Star is kind of absentminded and careless. I'm pretty sure she's killed a few innocent people—or at least sent them hurdling off to dimensions unknown—without a second thought.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 30, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Magical High Commission are real poo poo at their jobs. Glossaryck's exasperation with them makes a lot more sense in the current context.

Reynaldo lucked out with his early retirement if you ask me.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Moon's heel turn felt really lazy and contrived, other than that I like the conflict they're setting up.

However, I expect some kind of subversion from what the tapestry shows because Star's, like, entire deal is screwing with the established rules. Also, while cutting Macro and Star off in different worlds would be ballsy, murdering countless sapient beings would be kinda... not chill. Sure, the High Commission are jerks but Glossaryck is harmless and just kinda weird. There's also all the spells we've seen which have discrete lives themselves.

You know, like Richard and [intermission to check the wiki again] Billy. Killing them all would be pretty loving dark for this show.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 13, 2019