Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Like 90% of Looney Tunes are Mel Blanc talking at himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

One thing is a little unclear to me. Was the whole reason why Toffee screwed over everyone and magic itself simply to get his finger back?

I think the answer is "yes and no". If you remember, Toffee's army only surrendered/dissolved because they saw Moon had the power to kill them/nullify their regeneration powers when she blew Toffee's finger off. So he had to get rid of magic if he was ever going to take another run at crushing the Butterflies. Now whether he just planned to make Star destroy the wand, or if he had this whole grand plan to get sucked into the wand from the start, it was all a play to eliminate the magic that could kill him. The finger itself was more symbolic, I think, of showing his immortality/power, although it would also probably to help him recruit a new army. And I presume the only reason he didn't really do anything at the end other than walk away because he basically achieved all his objectives when he was inside Ludo (kingdom destroyed (almost), magic all but eliminated, Moon Butterfly crushed, book/Glossaryck destroyed) and also because he's comically evil.

Also is Toffee just really soft or did Marco achieve super saiyan when he punched straight through a lizardman?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, let's also not forget that part of the reason she's distant from Star is because she's so busy as Queen-a job that involves not only singlehandedly dealing with every single crisis that occurs inside the Kingdom, but involves effectively babying her husband to the point of picking out his (identical) outfits each day.

I found that part of the flashback episode kind of sweet. River is the only one who actually believes in Moon to make the right decision (even if it might turn out to ultimately be a bad one) instead of yelling opinions at her like the High Commission and other advisors.

Also I just think River's the best and I'll hear no opinion to the contrary. I mean, all he needed was a half-hour or so in the air and the birds made him their king!

edit: that new end song is criminally catchy

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 16, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I watched it over and I love Moon's reaction to Star's "HI MOM" in her weird powered up voice

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Man the new ending.

The show desperately wants to be more anime.

Wants to be? They did a full-on unironic Sailor Moon transformation, anime achieved.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

changed status quo now that Star's not living on Earth.

Oh that's a thing? That's a shame, I really like Marco's parents, his silly dad in particular.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's not that weird though. Adventure Time made a whole genderflipped intro for their Fionna and Cake episodes, Gravity Falls made a new one for their finale. I'd compare Star's to the GF example since they're both intros for special events.

Of course, this is all assuming that they have yet another new intro coming up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Coffeehitler posted:

Someone's not caught up.

I did a re-watch and Bobbin's episode guide helped with pointing out some stuff that I probably wouldn't have caught, so thanks! Afterward, I was thinking about the Season 3 opening movie and the end credits would work really well as a replacement Princess/Queen song for Star since her debut one was a bit of a disaster. And I think it would work; it's not the traditional style, but kind of is with how it shows Star in a positive light like Moon's song.

I'm almost glad there's not a longer version of the end credit song because if there was I'd have had it on loop for the last several months.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Cable networks hate you and everything you stand for.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

apparently part the problem is that you can't easily rerun random episodes without confusing new viewers (because continuity), which is why when the show does get rerun it's usually in themed blocks

This is a trap I hope Star doesn't fall into after the very story heavy season opener/last season's closer. Serialization is nice but it leads to poo poo like... what we're seeing now!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

I really don't know what he's referencing in terms of Steven Universe "going back to stuff from Season 1 nobody cares about".

He's probably referring to townie episodes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Geez these episodes are coming so fast. A big hiatus then all of a sudden like 8 come down the pipe! I can't keep up!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Congratulations, you've just discovered what makes Toffee a sympathetic villain.

I'd say he might have started a sympathetic villain, right up until he killed Moon's mom. After that he kind of spiraled into outright villainy, y'know, what with starting a plan to systematically destroy all magic in Mewni/the universe(?), murdering several magic-related creatures and attempting to kill a teenage princess who hadn't really done anything wrong.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My guess is that Meteora is gonna be the season villain. We know she's some crazy magical/monster hybrid so she's got all the magical power of Star/Moon/the other Butterflys mixed with whatever powers her monster DNA (probably) holds, so maybe she did some weird Antichrist poo poo and razed the kingdom when she was younger, but Eclipsa took the heat for her daughter and got put on ice for it, maybe after cutting a deal with the High Commission to give Meteora a reduced sentence... like giving her a memory rewrite so she could just go live a life in solitude instead of face imprisonment or execution. Then again, based on Rhombulus not knowing the nursery's purpose, and the total lack of Meteora in the family history (I mean even Eclipsa gets a painting on the wall to show she was evil...), maybe someone wrote over the whole of Mewni's memory to totally give her a new identity (of course it could be another case of Rhombulus being stupid). Regardless, Eclipsa knew that Meteora was safe, so that's why she was so chill with being imprisoned in a crystal. Of course the big question is, when Meteora inevitably comes for the kingdom, is Eclipsa going to turn heel, or is she gonna try to talk her daughter down from going nuts?

Also no theorycrafting, but I got a huge laugh from the stupid sight gag of Mina all hulked out jumping out the window then floating away slowly on her pigtail-copter.

Are we still doing spoiler tags even after the episode aired? I mean I guess I'll keep the trend going.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 17, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The real mystery for the season is how did Rhombulus lose a nipple? ASK QUESTIONS PEOPLE.

VVV: oh really? I guess I totally forgot that.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 17, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I hope it ends up happy :shobon:

Like seriously, I know that apparently Moon and the High Commission are jerks and species-ist but I hope they all don't do some collective heel turn and become outright villains. Maybe Star can work this whole shebang out! :ohdear:

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I don't see it going any other way then Eclipsa wins her trial with the help of star, who then becomes the rightful queen and then banishes stars family for usurping her and finding out moon's mom caused the monster uprising that eventually led to her death.

Although I do kind of like this idea, I admit. I don't think Butterflys on the run is a very sustainable status quo for the show, though, so something would have to give fast. (Plus just in general, a magical princess kicked out of her home does not make for good comedy)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 17, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I see Meteora as being a villain even after this revelation, although she probably won't be the only villain and might not stay evil forever. After all, while we don't know what circumstances led Meteora to become Miss Heinous, we do know her character, and she is not a woman who lets a grudge die easy. And wouldn't you know it, but she just remembered she has the biggest grudge ever to hold against the ruling branch of the Butterfly family.

I would love if even after regaining her memory and possibly gaining magic and monster powers, she still just nursed a big hate-on for Marco instead of the Butterflys.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

And on another note, I think Spongebob's VA did a cameo with the voice.

Wouldn't shock me. Tom Kenny is in the great hall of "voice actors who are in loving everything" along with Steve Blum and Tara Strong.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Andrew_1985 posted:

I personally don't find Ludo that interesting. In fact I haven't been a big fan of a lot of the Mewni stuff unfortunately.

same. I miss Marco's dumb parents.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Andrew_1985 posted:

This seems right.

Looking forward to this, but generally I wasn't a fan of spending all this time in Star's dimension.

:same:

I really liked season 1/2's split between Mewni and Earth time. I get that now they kinda have to be there full time to necessitate the ongoing plot about changing the social structure of the place but still...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh gently caress I forgot the new season started this morning and didn't set my DVR!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shitenshi posted:

So while I caught Moon Remembers and Swim Suit, for some reason I never saw Ransomgram or Lake House Fever in any of the listings. Even the Wikipedia descriptions are completely blank. Were they only aired on the Disney XD app or something?

I had that happen too. Apparently they only air one out of two on XD, and all the episodes run on regular Disney. Who knows why, but adjust your DVR accordingly.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm expecting the Globgor shoe to drop with someone other than Eclipsa releasing him in the run up to the finale, maybe Mina trying to finish him off.

Also am I the only one hoping that Eclipsa is totally on the up-and-up and that Star hiding the book from her is gonna make her the rear end in a top hat? Like Eclipsa finds out and is less angry, just more "What? Even you don't trust me Star? :("

I think she's mostly on the up-and-up, but probably has a few secrets. Like for one, I'm like 90% sure that Eclipsa can do wand-less magic and she's just lying about needing it. I also think Globgor is a clear and present danger but that maybe Eclipsa's just a little lovestruck and overlooks his more monstrous (no pun intended) side.

At this point I see Star being queen as the clear end game, the rest of the story is just a how do we get from point A to point B.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I found it weird because I thought they'd never revisit that, and if they did, that the point would be the same as they talked about, that it was never a curse. But nope.

Oh well. These episodes at least further cemented that Janna is the best character.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The thought just occurred that if it was a curse that was stopping Janna's hypnotism from working, maybe now Marco's incapable of having feelings for Star because her hypnotic suggestions are working.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's at least clear that Marco's strongest relationships are forged in the fires of battle.

Aren't all of ours, really? :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So Mewni's entire history is just a stable time loop from Glossaryck? Trippy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Beach Day - Star gets ready to actually have the day at the beach with Marco.
Gone Baby Gone - Marco misplaces both Mariposa and Meteora somewhere in Hekapoo's dimension.

Oh, the possibility of a re-grown up Meteora reacting to the rest of the cast is very interesting.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I only just noticed that Star's giant formal hair looks like a heart from the front and I feel dumb for not seeing it before.

Nephthys posted:

Marco and Tom's dance was the greatest thing this show has ever produced.

I cracked up at "There's no way I could perform in front of a crowd right this very second" while he pulls out a mic and Tom's arms coming into frame to put his sunglasses on.

Also I loved the "this is a monarchy, not a democracy!" delivered the same way "democracy, not a dictatorship" is everywhere.

edit: I really kind of curious as to where the rest of the season's supposed to go/what the series' endgame is. I mean, it seems like they solved racism the monster/mewman conflict this episode what with most people accepting Eclipsa, and Globgor's out and seems to be an okay guy, and those were the two big curious points. All that's left is Mina*, but like, she seems so... small. I mean, she's big and probably bigger when she gets her bigass armor but with zero support from any of the royals around or any magic particularly I don't know how she's supposed to restart her super-soldiersailor scout program and be a kingdom-wide threat and/or series ending villain. Although I guess we could just have one-offs. I do admire how this show's been able to still blend comedy in with all its lore, a big problem I think other comparable shows like Steven Universe have.

*and the love triangle I guess

e2:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

e: There's been far fewer title cards from the crew this season (Understandable, since most of them have already moved on to new projects), but Cassie Zwart posted some from two of her episodes and they're incredible:

I have to imagine it might also have to do with the recent mass exodus of artists/users in general from Tumblr, so they're just not making stuff to post.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 24, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That was all great dramatic plot and all but man aside from the last one this batch of episodes was the funniest in a long while. I missed Marco's dad, he's always hilarious. And Mama Star was hilarious from beginning to end, except for Marco losing it and ranting about wanting to be in Star's pocket, which was adorable :kimchi: loving Tom spinning his head around trying to turn off the fire had me in stitches.

Anyway, disappointed in the MHC. Well okay, really just Hekapoo. She's usually cool when she pops up and I don't like that she's still a racist species-ist. I wonder what's polluting the magic world (aside from the literal pollution the gang threw in at the start of Mama Star). Like, it can't be Mina, right? That just doesn't make sense. The unicorn said they were "souring" magic by going there, but like, Star and Moon have gone there before, apparently numerous humans have been there, it can't just be Star's repeat visits, can it? The last time magic went all purple it was because of Toffee but he hasn't been around. It seems like this is all leading to Glossaryck doing a heel turn but I just don't get his endgame.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toffee made it green. Moon made it purple when she got half corrupted and washed the corruption off during Divide and Conquer. Apparently the purple corruption has been spreading since then.

oh yeeeaaaah. I think I only watched like half that episode, I should go back sometime and watch some of those plot heavy ones that I know I missed from the end of last season.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

My pet theory is that Glossaryck is trying to commit some form of cosmic suicide, being an immortal and all-powerful being that is tethered to helping the Butterfly family, and has been manipulating events for some time to try and bring about this conclusion. (Maybe by destroying magic altogether? Hard to say).

As for the spells on Mewni though, I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be an explicit reference to what Mina was doing.

Do we really know that he's tethered to the Butterflys though? I mean it seems like he just does whatever the gently caress he wants whenever the gently caress he wants and is extremely powerful. The whole book thing might just be a big lie he told that everyone believes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Since magic in the hands of the queens has led to misfortune, I wouldn't be surprised if the finale has Star somehow spreading the magic to everyone in order to make everyone kind of sort of equal.

Regardless, I'm pumped for the ending. I hope it's a happy one, those two crazy kids earned it. Also I'm excited to see Marco get to hold the wand again.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 15, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tetracube posted:

I bet Marco is going to start learning magic in the ending.

Crazier theory: Marco becomes Queen. He already has a princess persona, there's been a male queen in the past, and we know he has the potential to do magic. Star doesn't want to be Queen but Marco is supposedly leader-like according to Tom and also his star sign.

I was kinda thinking that too, but on one hand while it'd be cool to sort of have a changing of the guard by leaving the kingdom in the hands of a third party like Marco who's neither mewman nor monster, but on the other hand it'd be kind of hosed up to take the unusual concept of a matrilineal monarchy and hand it to a dude, even if you call him Queen

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

Also presumably all the spells in the wand. We had multiple episodes focused on their vibrant and colorful lives, and now they all ded.

Eh, I think they're all alive, just in another dimension, or maybe in another part of the new Dimensional Hybrid Earth. It's a Disney cartoon, only bad guys and maybe one dramatic good guy death ever really die, and we hit that quota with Quirky Guy.

Pick posted:

Not to be a dick but I think the long arc was a mistake. I don't think this show was structured for it, ultimately.

I liked the ending but I agree. A lot of shows these days aren't structured for serialization but they keep going for it and I don't know why. Just do a half-hour long show all the time, stop trying to do 11 minute episodes jamming in plot.

See also: Adventure Time, Steven Universe

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 19, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

doomrider7 posted:

Hey, gotta ape that Japanese Anime style of story telling where a lot of stuff is very much serial continuity based. GF pulled it off very well granted the episodes were half hour and a big part of the show was the settings weirdness so even if the episodes weren't always about the author's identity they still worked to emphasize the towns weirdness.

I've not watched Adventure Time of SU so I can't comment there, but if you're gonna do a serial then it HAS to be half hour episodes.

I think another thing that GF did right was establishing a long plot/reason for serialization off the bat. A lot of other shows introduce that later to their detriment (imo). It's hard to go from just comedy hijinks to introducing drama and serious character growth while still keeping the show feeling the same and keeping episodes 11 minutes long. GF sidesteps all those problems by mixing in the serious/weird right off the bat, establishing "here's the mystery, it'll be a background element in some episodes and the main story in others, let's go" whereas Star spends 10 or so episodes as straight comedy before we get a hint that "hey maybe everything's not as black and white as it seems with the monsters on Mewni" (SU spends half a season before poo poo gets real and AT spends 2 full ones just for comparison)

Starting out as goofy one-off adventures and then getting serious later isn't a bad idea, narratively speaking, I mean I'm sure all the creators had all these plot elements (or at least most of this stuff) in mind from early on and nothing was an asspull, but the show has to be made for that... which usually just means it needs to be longer.

...I think I just talked myself in a circle getting back to "yeah longer episodes!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tetracube posted:

Spot on.

Star vs. would have been unremarkable at best if it didn't have the story. Who looks at season 1 and thinks "this is the best season"?

I think "unremarkable at best" is a little unfair. Season 1 wasn't a deep show by any means, but it was definitely a funny show, which is what it was aiming for. If it had never even gotten a season 2 I could've still looked back on the show as a whole and still found it pretty darn funny. One of my favorite episodes of probably the entire series is the Banagic Incident if only because Star repeatedly going "is this a better store?" to people was a great laugh line. Comparing S1 to later seasons (3 and 4 more than 2) is kind of like comparing apples and oranges because of the big tonal shifts that happen.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 20, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
In case anybody wants to relive the good ol' days, has a lot of time to burn, doesn't watch kids' TV on the reg and thus doesn't know Disney scheduling, or any combination of the above, you may be interested to know that Disney XD is currently doing a 24-hour marathon of Star until tomorrow at noon. They're almost done with season 1 right now and I had forgotten how funny this show could be. Not that seasons 3 and 4 were bad, but I definitely feel like Star on Earth jokes in S1/2 are better than the Marco on Mewni stuff in S3/4.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maelstache posted:

I was fine with the way it ended, but I will always wonder how late into production of Season 4 they knew they weren't doing another

They may have just planned for cancellation ahead of time. For a long time Disney has had an unofficial policy to never have more than 4 seasons of a show (they used to have a straight up official policy for only 65 episodes of any given show, though that's gone now) and although shows have gone past that (most recently, that snorefest Avengers Assemble cartoon), more often than not 4 is the limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

Marco always felt kinda shallow to me as a character. He didn't have much of an arc, his primary purposes were to react to weird magic stuff and be a target of romantic interests. Whenever the show followed him alone for a while, it always felt kinda weak.

He was definitely more of a straight man to Star and everyone else's antics but when the show moved to Mewni in season 3, Marco stopped having anything else to do. Any interests/friends he had (like his karate classes or his girlfriend or any human friends, etc) got left on Earth, such as it was, and any depth kind of disappeared. Without any human supporting cast and completely out of his depth. One of the reasons I still like season 2 the best over the rest.

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm pretty sure kicking a door open with your feet is the "correct" way to do it if you don't have an axe, and using your shoulder is mostly a way to hurt yourself.

i went through a phase in my mid-teens where I started kicking open doors because it felt cool, up until the other shoe finally dropped and a guy happened to be near a door at exactly the wrong time and I loving smashed his nose by accident. At a party. At a church. It was awkward the rest of the night.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 28, 2019