Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
When you aren't in the new intro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Benne posted:

Also (don't know if I have to use spoiler tags but just in case)

I'm still hoping they run with the idea that Marco is actually in his 30s now after getting trapped in Heckapoo's dimension, which opens up so many story possibilities. But it's probably just a one-off gag they won't address again, so oh well.

Yeah this was simultaneously a really cool plot development and woefully under-utilized. I'm hoping they expand on that this season.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

They grow up so fast.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Roach Warehouse posted:

2. I totally forgot that several elements of earlier episodes existed: the popular mean girl, the nerdy friends etc. I think the show is better with their reduced roles.

The nerdy friends, in particular, were basically forced by Disney. They said Marco had to have some male friends. So Nefcy never really liked them in the first place.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Becoming infatuated with people you barely know who seem generally nice and realizing how incompatible you are as you spend more time with them is a very realistic representation of teenage love so I wouldn't be surprised if they went that route with Marco and Jackie.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
A bit late on what was clearly supposed to be the Halloween episode, weren't they?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I think word of god might've mentioned demons are considered separate from monsters

Even so, you've got plenty of "monstrous"-looking races that are considered equal to Mewmans (what really makes Princess Jaggs or Prince Kelpbottom not monsters?). It's similar to how racial categories in real life can be pretty arbitrary.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Xelkelvos posted:

Tom got a bit of a behavior adjustment if you remember the demoncism episode. The demon that did get demonsised was the one that made more prone to fly into a rage. Outside of that, Tom was a pretty decent guy from what we know of him.

I don't think the removal of that demon changed him that much. As the head cultist guy said, there are thousands of demons inside him and the point I took from that is that he can't really change who he is, but now he's at least trying to be a better person.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 15, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
It's pretty cool that they're going with this theme of young people being the force for change in Mewni, that they have to take action to make the obstinate older generations listen. Just like real life :V

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Benne posted:

I didn't catch the holiday episodes, did anything important happen there or are they safe to skip?

"Stump Day" features some relationship development. "Holiday Special" takes place entirely inside Star's wand with Spider With A Top Hat et al and thus prooooobably isn't important to the overall plot, so you could probably skip it, but I don't know why you'd want to.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Regarding the Ponyhead episode

I think they really dropped the ball, in an episode about depression, to have the solution be the depressed person just realizing it's all in their mind and willing herself better. That's not how depression works and it's not a good message for kids who might actually suffer depression one day.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I liked the little shot of the taco stand on Earth, as if to remind us "yeah, this is what the show used to be."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Benne posted:

Four seasons is a good run and they've got a logical endgame to build here, so yeah, hopefully we get a good conclusion out of this.

My only disappointment is that we get Keith David for just one season :( Can he go back and dub over Tambor's lines?

Maybe? That's what Disney did with Louis CK's character in Gravity Falls, but that was only a minor character in one episode, so who knows if they'll expend that much effort for a character that appeared for three seasons.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/DaronNefcy/status/1093550078311030785

Some season 4 episode titles:
https://twitter.com/DisneyXD/status/1093555241784553473

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Madurai posted:

It's easy to dismiss the idea of a hereditary monarchy when the inheritance doesn't provide magic powers that keep the state viable.

Except Festivia and her descendants prove that magic powers exist outside of the Butterfly line.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sockser posted:

I had previously caught a few episodes of this show by happenstance. Notably they were Ludo in the Wild and Dip Down and whatever episode is Toffee's defeat, so pretty good ones to have on in the background as an introduction

And then years later, I spent the past three days binging the entire series. I regret sleeping on this one, but at least I get to hang out in this thread in the lead-up to the finale.

I kinda slept on the series at first too, I watched the first episode shortly after it came out and dismissed it as being too twee for my tastes. Then around the end of the first season, I gave it another chance because goons were clamoring over it and I'm glad I did. "Mewnipendance Day" was what really convinced me the series was something special.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
You'd think that Hekapoo and Omnitraxus, being ancient, near-godlike entities with mastery over space and time, respectively, would have more perspective on the whole Mewmans vs Monsters thing and be less racist.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If destroying magic puts everyone back where they "belong," I bet that puts Mewmans on Earth since that's where they come from.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Also of note: Earth and Mewni aren't the only worlds that got cleaved together. The first thing Marco sees after the portal explosion is a flock of Dragoncycles, which are native to the biker dimension (I think). So presumably all the dimensions have been cleaved together too. Magic wasn't connecting people, it was keeping people apart.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

BigRed0427 posted:

Hey there. Started watching since the quarantine started and just finished season 2. I love it! AHHH!

Admittedly I picked it up because I always heard from other sources that "This is the show where the male lead is secretly a trans girl" Im gonna guess that from here on out, there really isn't anything else that hints at it though.

Marco's Princess Turdina identity comes up a lot actually but he's not so much a trans girl as a crossdresser. I think him frequently crossdressing without the show ever associating it with being unmasculine is, in itself, a good message for kids, at least.