Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I hope Janna is party of this new hero party, she's really cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

paradoxGentleman posted:

This guy has a tendency to forgive male characters' issues than female ones'. I distinctly remember him seriously hating on Marvel from Gravity Falls and not on Dipper, and if I'm not mistaken he did the same with Steven Universe.

To be fair, Mabel got really awful towards the end of that show. I don't think Dipper was a perfect guy but he was better than Mabel.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Gotta love how Star (a princess of a magical, fantastical kingdom) has to phone Janna (a regular born human being from boring ol' Earth) for help with her supernatural predicament.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Pakled posted:

Even so, you've got plenty of "monstrous"-looking races that are considered equal to Mewmans (what really makes Princess Jaggs or Prince Kelpbottom not monsters?). It's similar to how racial categories in real life can be pretty arbitrary.

I wouldn't put it past the creators to do something like that. We don't know all the lore of the Star Vs world but it seems like the monsters are just an assortment of humanoid animal races. That'd be cool if they went with it.

We're not sure how much of the "monsters" label is a cultural thing.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm not sure if I like how the show's progressing. After the Battle For Mewni the show's lost its thread and honestly although it's cool they're doing a roles reversed thing with Star and Marco, I don't like how quickly people are falling out, getting together.

As for the Mewni setting this season, I could do without it but that's just a thing of taste. I don't like the Medieval Britain aesthetic (knights and whathaveyou)

Also I'm not terribly sympathetic to Higgs. The show having Higgs screw around with Marco for ten minutes then treat Marco like a bad guy when he makes her plant on her face was a bad evocation of a trope I dislike, where the bullied nerd gets revenge on the bully and everyone treats the nerd like a bad guy because he hurt someone's feelings.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Not long after discussions on how Mewni categorizes monsters we get an episode illustrating how arbitrary the "monster" label is in Mewni and the blurred lines between monsters and the non-human races on Mewni.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm starting to like the show more now that we've hit another footing. With Marco moving into Mewni it feels like the show started over, like it's a whole new show, so that was a mistep, but now that things are taking off again I'm digging it.

Deep Dive was a great episode. It's cool to see Janna up to her usual shenanigans and Marco taking control of the wand and using it effectively was a great surprise that feels very warranted.

Also the episode Ponymonium was kind of bad? For a minute there I thought the show was going to recognize how obnoxious and toxic Ponyhead can be but they instead went with the "sisters are even worse copout.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Hmmmm, maybe that's okay. 4 seasons and they had a good run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

When did American cartoons start having overarching plots and cross-episode coherency?

In the recent renaissance? I think Adventure Time was what kicked off the latest overarching plot craze. Yes, it's been in cartoons before, but Adventure Time was the first in the recent crop of western cartoons with overarching plots.

Thing is, I don't think Adventure Time's overarching plot is handled effectively but that doesn't change the fact that it is known for it's overarching story.