Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wanna see Marco hanging out with Queen Moon. I have a feeling they'd get along well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

One should remember with Eclipsa's tapestry that it's not just any monster she ran off with; it was a huge, three-eyed demon, looking a lot like the same kind as Tom no less.

We've had quite a few counterpart characters in this show; Star's father and mother are often compared to her and Marco, while Ludo and Toffee make the villains a contrasting foil to her and Moon; an immature, insecure and rebellious but proactive younger princeling and a stern, well-dressed authority figure who gets terrifying when they're serious. And Toffee differs from other monsters with his Patrick Bateman look and attitude, but his acts probably defined monsters to Mewmans for a generation at least.

I've got a feeling Eclipsa's going to be another foil. Like Star, she's one of the most powerful Mewni ladies to ever wield the wand, with incredible potential. Star's dated a demon, and shows sympathies with monsters heavily controversial to the rest of her kingdom. Both are seem as rebels, though in different ways, and Star's parents fear she might become like Eclipsa. However, Glossaryck specifically mentioned that Eclipsa was the only one who never questioned his teachings.

Basically, I'm seeing Eclipsa as misunderstood, but not as much as anyone things; my guess, she's a powerful AND skilled mage, with Star's talent and Moon's discipline, and no limits. Her spells are rightfully feared and forbidden; it seems strongly implied that the killing spell is the kind of thing that stains your soul to use, but she just sees them as another tool to play with. Basically, I bet she's what happens when a witch-queen realises she doesn't need to care about what anyone else thinks when she's the most powerful person in Mewni.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I really hope that, wether she ends up a villain or not, Eclipsa is just super sweet and supportive towards every monster she meets.

I'm picturing her as a combination of Mortica Adams and Mary Poppins, which is pretty appropriate since her wand was an umbrella.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obNTJTByrF4

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 17, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I figured the teleportation mace had an on-switch that only Toffee knew how to use.

Interesting how Super Saiyan Star managed to mortally wound Toffee. I presume either Toffee was weakened from corrupting all the magic, or her spell overwhelmed his healing ability until it burnt out. Or maybe Moon's spell actually worked enough to disable it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Moon and Buff Frog's board game does serve to illustrate that Mewmans and Monsters have spent centuries demonising each other, to the point where it takes them a bit to realise the other might not be inherently bad. Though Moon actually got along with Ludo's mother. Maybe it's classism at play there, at least they're monster nobility, not monster commoners. And we've seen how heavily class-segregated Mewni is.

Toffee wasn't the mysterious business suited schemer in the flashback with Moon, though; he was pretty standard barbarian general, with the skulls all over the bloody place, breaking a treaty to take the opportunity to kill the most powerful enemy he has, and taken by surprise when the teenage daughter actually turns out to be competent at something. Presumably, over the couple of decades at least before he joined Ludo's gang, Toffee's been learning and changing.

The Magic High Commission are basically gods without the g-word, complete with two of them being based on pagan deities (Lekmet and Heckapoo) so them being hard to permanently put down probably makes sense.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole implication of that scene seemed to be, one way or another, his regeneration has stopped working. Hell, his flesh is literally melting off his bones.

If Toffee somehow survives that, it's going to be as something very different.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Was Rasticore Chaosus Disastervane part of Toffee's army? One of those gators looked familiar.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The lizards probably are comfortable replacing parts of their body with implants and things because if it doesn't work out they can just pull it out and grow it back.

Was funny in this show's particular way that Eclipsa, having been revived from stasis, is mostly just really hungry.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The tongue and eyeballs are the last part to go, apparently.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

What better time to take over?

Does make me wonder if after this adventure, Star and Moon are going to work on patching up their relationship a bit. They already seem to understand each other a little better, though it's really only a start. And with Glossaryck gone, Star needs a new teacher.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

Something I just thought about and it might have been speculated before, but where did Ludo get his scissors? I don't think he could have earned them so I guess stolen?

Nicked from his parents, maybe. Or maybe Heckapoo doesn't make it so hard on everyone who wants a pair of scissors, just those who annoy/interest her.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I just figured being a demon prince, Tom has a pretty hosed up idea of interpersonal relationships, on top of his anger issues and expecting to get everything he wants. He is actively working on all that though.

He's interesting in that he's basically all set up to be a major villain, but doesn't necessarily want to be. He reached out to Marco falsely but turned out to genuinely enjoy his company, and seems to be quite relaxed when left to his own devices.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I wonder what Moon thinks of Mina Loveberry. Possibly relieved that Star considers her a nutcase rather than a role model now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gravity Falls was basically built around 'Give all the crazy theorycrafters, code-crackers and Quizboys something actually meaningful to work towards' and did pretty well with it, Star Vs might as well do something similar.

Given the major and only competent villain so far has been liquidated, probably about time to work towards some new antagonists. Toffee is, like Ludo, born primarily out of the Mewman/Monster conflict which has very personal stakes for all involved, and likely an issue Star is going to spend her life trying to reconcile, but the show's clearly shown there's all kind of weird poo poo out there, and the Butterfly family wand is the kind of power that attracts weird poo poo.

I thought that Eclipsa's lover might be the same species as Tom, but then four eyes, not three... Trigon? (Oh my god is she Raven's stepmother?)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Trying to get some friends into this, thinking I need to skip ahead a bit since the first few eps are rough. Was gonna get them to from the first two to 7-8 (Cheer Up, Star and Quest Buy) but open to other suggestions.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Possibly a previous Queen took a leaf out of Lord Vetinari's book and ensured the deepest, dankest cell in the dungeon is the easiest to escape from.

So what's the rundown on the magical colours? Golden yellow seems to be joy and healing, which Star uses in a very 'healing harms undead' manner, and Star's usual summon magic is pink. Anger, jealousy and hate power destructive green magic, which Ludo has great talent with, and Eclipsa's dark magic, which seems to be focused around breaking the rules of the world (spy where you can't see, kill what can't die) with consequences for the user. (though is Eclipsa shown to have corruption markings on her arms?)

...though the immortal-slaying spell is seemingly implied to have taken Toffee's living finger into the wand, given it was a source of corruption within it that Star had to excise. Does make one wonder what would happen if it had been used to kill an entire immortal lizard. Does it work via a loophole of absorption rather than destruction?

Speaking of, the ending seems to imply that while Toffee was able to reconstitute himself into what outwardly looked like his old body, on the inside he was basically a skeleton surrounded by goop; he's no longer immortal, because he no longer had the same biology as his old self. That may have contributed to Marco being able to punch straight through his body, though Marco is starting to get borderline superhuman himself. (He is being played a lot as a foil to King River, which River seems to approve of)

EDIT: \/\/\/ Yeah, but that kinda got reset physically and somewhat mentally (implied at least), so he's probably back to barely above baseline human for now.

Kinda funny that Marco's never really shown to have exceptional karate skills aside from knowing how to punch, kick and jump, but that's really all he needs to start off with, the rest is experience and cunning, and his sensei is competent in that area at least.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 18, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Star would totally be the type to recover her own skeleton and hang it up in her room, maybe talk to it every now and again.

Also, I was half expecting Rasticore to join in.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a few Earth characters that are a bit ambiguously human/normal; Janna could be a teenage girl who's picked up scraps of magic from extradimensional influence (it is pretty much stated as clearly as it can that Earth has no native magic, given it was unaffected by the magic downturn and there's no supernatural influence on the climate and ecosystem beyond what Star adds to it) and happens to be a skilled thief, or she might be something more. Likewise with Jackie and her mermaid motif, and the random guy who may or may not be a werewolf. Hell, even the mall karate guy has managed to display similar near-superpowers to Marco just from practice with old karate tapes.

(Though we do have an established ghost with Bon Bon the Birthday Clown, but there's a funny cartoon/anime thing where ghosts are ALWAYS real)

Of course, it's established early on with Miss Skullnick that humans can be supernaturally influenced, stay that way, accept it and go on with their lives. Who says she's the first?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hook up Jackie with Tom.

Though yeah, Marco and Jackie's relationship not lasting seems like it'd make sense; aside from that they're teenagers in their first relationship, they don't really know each other that well aside from that they get along and find each other attractive. Marco explicitly had barely talked to her at the start of the show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Though they strike me as the type to have a relatively amicable separation. It's annoying when writers want to break up a pairing so they turn one of them (usually the woman) into a raging jerk suddenly for no reason.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hey, one of the other crystal prisoners looks like a bunny version of Baby.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CN is trying to cargo cult DIsney's stingy release schedule, I'd imagine. They've treated popular shows like garbage forever whether or not they want to kill them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

She got to beat the poo poo out of a bunch of unicorns and be completely justified in it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Demoncism was... a bit weird. I agree with Pony Head that the seahorse was more fun before, though guessing he was destined for a one-note personality either way. (and Pony Head's taste in boys is probably not to be trusted)

And as for Ludo's family, much like real life, classism often trumps racism, at least privately for the ruling classes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Is nice that they acknowledged the double standards Mewmans have with 'monsters' vs other obviously nonhuman/mewman people, and that, like real life prejudice, it's arbitrary and more based on history and ignorance than any real hard rules.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nephthys posted:

Really starting to think that Eclipsa is either not evil or evil for reasons considerably different from whatever Mewni's problem with her is. Mewni is just the worst.

Even if she turns against the place, she's probably totally justified in it. Honestly Toffee was also pretty justified in destroying the place, he was just a dick about it.

There's something very... off about Eclipsa. Then again, she looks normal next to Star, so that might just be a Mewni queen thing.

Princess Marco episode is interesting. They play up a bit how Marco realises the rebellious Princess Turdina persona has gone quite a ways from his structure-focused personality, but then don't really do much about that more than Marco feeling guilty about pretending to be something he's not. And that, especially with the hated alternative right in front of them, the princesses don't care if Princess Turdina is actually a non-royal boy from Earth, because it doesn't actually change or invalidate anything they admired about her.

Does make me wonder where they might go with St Olga's from here. The typical next step would be the revolution going full circle with a new tyrant in charge, though that's probably too obvious for this show.

The take on racism and colonialism works well given it doesn't just dwell on how those things are bad and harmful, but also utterly absurd and arbitrary, and that good people can't make a bad institution much better.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also interesting how Star and Marco have switched roles in more ways than one; now Star is more willing to work within the system even when others won't (albeit willing to bend the rules to get her way- but also has learned how to enforce the rules to get her way) and doesn't kick up a stink even about things she doesn't necessarily want to do but is expected to, when they're not that big a deal.

(Thinking that Queen Moon's attitude might ultimately stem from coping from losing her mother young and having to grow up fast; the rules and laws, and embracing queenly authority, are what kept her kingdom together when she was forced into the throne too early. Star, on the other hand, has the freedom to figure out her own priorities and understanding of the world)

But now Marco is feeling the pressure to live up to a princess ideal he doesn't necessarily agree with or feel he is able to, and dealing with arbitrary rules and weird traditions he doesn't understand the importance of. (But also understanding that having power and respect gives you a measure of freedom to choose how you handle things) And on the other hand, now Marco's faced with the mundanities of a world that's all new and strange to him, like the laundry room for a gigantic castle (the Knight of the Wash is a true hero) and the trials of equipping a knight.

(Fun thing, an old man squire isn't necessarily a weird thing; I'm pretty sure back in the days when knights and squires were relevant things, only some squires or pages might actually have the opportunity to become a knight in their own right, and 'squire' could well be a respected career for the rest of your working life. Then again, the definition of 'squire' changed radically through the Middle Ages, so I might be mixing things up)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I figured Mina was a relative of the Butterfly family, or perhaps the vaguely insectoid Hulk-out is something that any Mewman can do given training and practice, the magically inclined are just better at it. Speaking of, I'm surprised Star didn't enter her golden form to fight her. Possibly still getting used to that or trying to keep it a secret. But I could be wrong either way.

But in any case, Mina's a great villain now for a show that's made sure to put some complexity to theirs; she's legitimately lost her mind, but kept all of her power, and can't process reality anymore. She's just running on what she knows, violence and bigotry. Basically a Fox News grandma who's also a likely PTSD-suffering war veteran and has superpowers.

And River's early possibly joking comment about Star potentially being locked away and replaced if she can't control her power might have a lot of implications for both Mina and Meteora- and maybe Eclipsa too, for that matter. When royalty comes with massive magical power, and no guarantee of mental stability, you have to go to some pretty drastic measures when the monarch goes rogue... which is probably why the Magic High Commission exists.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's probably not the first time Mina has caused a ton of trouble for Mewni's authorities. But guessing they decided the best way to deal with her was to cast her out and ignore her; she's a pitiful character, really, a clearly traumatised and mentally ill war veteran who has no family or friends to care for her, left homeless to survive on her own as a danger to herself and others.

And on the end of Monster Bash, the monster kids accept Star's apology and admit that they're used to the authorities persecuting them unfairly- there's a glimmer of hope that things can change. Despite the tensions, the people from both sides manage to get along, and even forge some new friendships; Spider Bite Princess likely won't forget how she got her complexion cleared up, and Star made it clear she's willing to protect monsters and Mewmans equally and stand up for them.

Also, Tom's showing a bit that he's a lot like Star in some ways, early-season Star especially; disinterested in 'politics' despite, as Star says, being a prince who can't avoid them, and mostly just wants to enjoy himself. Which is an improvement over seeking revenge for petty slights and going on rampages when he doesn't get what he wants, but still.

There seems to be a going theme of the mistakes and sins of the past coming back to haunt future generations, and the worst, most ingrained problems being ones that have been left to fester for centuries. And conversely, how changing things for the better is a long, hard process, but it's never too early to start because the results might take a while, but it still helps.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Interesting that Marco reverts to his adult form when in Heckapoo's dimension.

Also, was figuring that most of the Royal High Commission have jobs to do that they aren't very well equipped for. Rhombulus is legitimately good at sealing away dangerous and evil things- he's probably the only thing that can easily deal with Mina at this point- but lacks anything close to the maturity and judgement to do it responsibly. Heckapoo's job is to both create the means of interdimensional travel and close carelessly opened portals (meaning the more she does one job, the more she has to do with the other) and she has to get help for it dealing with something well above her pay grade. Lekmet's powers inherently hastened his death, which reviving the Commission ultimately did. Omnitraxus seems relatively chill and on the ball, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Venuz Patrol posted:

im highly amused by this possibility mostly because it would make mina almost a direct parallel to othar tryggvassen of girl genius

Actually, it's kind of Toffee in that role, so much that his idea of levelling the playing field in Mewni is/was seemingly to destroy magic altogether.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shitenshi posted:

So is there a particular reason why the wand reacted so violently when Marco took it as opposed to when Ludo and Lobster Claws briefly had it in that one episode? Or is this a thing where it was done that way for dramatic purposes as opposed to comedy?

The design is very odd and looks kinda evil; it might be meant to imply there's something going in with Marco that we don't know about (and likely he doesn't either). Marco is notably the first human (as opposed to mewman) to wield the wand that we know about, and the wand reshapes itself to reflect its wielder. Or maybe Marco's just a bit of a metalhead at heart.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ponymonium was a bit too real. We've known families like that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I was just thinking that Meteora seems like someone likely to be Marco's specific nemesis... ESPECIALLY given it turns out Marco's had the choice to be a princess and stop doing it any time he wants, which certainly is more choice than she ever had. Kinda funny that Miss Heinous is becoming her own antithesis. And I do wonder if they had heavy metal back when she was a kid or she's rediscovering her adolescence.

While there's some rumblings of Moon and the Magic High Commission becoming the villains, I don't think that's likely; we've seen that Moon, while stuck in the old ways, isn't stupid and isn't stubborn. Her distrust of Eclipsa is probably as much because of how she's literally permanently scarred by a spell that Eclipsa taught her, and utterly disturbed by her approach to magic all the more because she was forced to use it. Moon seems to actually respect Star more nowadays, and Star respects her in turn; some time apart has given them a lot of time to reflect and get a new perspective on one another, albeit at great cost. I get the feeling that while Moon still holds the old prejudices towards monsters- and given what she went through as a child, it's hard to blame her- but is open to Star working to improve things.

Kinda funny that Marco running with Heckapoo was basically played like two-timing girlfriends or cheating. The sexual tension in this show is all over the drat place, man.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Not Super Star?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm pretty sure they're taking great glee in baiting the shippers every which way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The return of StarFan13!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Motherfucker posted:

Were they ever really gone? Or were they inside of us all along...

Let's face it, StarFan13 would post in this thread. Possibly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Interesting implication about Star's magic; that Eclipsa's spying spell is of the same kind of summon magic that Star is a natural at, and as a result creates a magical construct entity with a mind of its own. This might be meant to indicate how Star's basically learned to run before she learned to crawl magic-wise, with a strongly creative focus to her spells; her most reliable ones tend to be creating and transforming things, animate and inanimate. (and not always the one intended).

The different colours of magic might possibly be best for different things; Star's typical pink is joy and creativity, which she usually has in spades, and thus manifests mostly in summoning and general creation magic, though we did see some destruction with Raspberry Panzerfaust (though a rocket-propelled grenade is a kind of summoning, perhaps) While the green magic that Ludo instantly picked up was clearly powered by anger, hate, and negative emotions in general, as he quickly figured out, and is excellent for no-frills destruction. The black magic we've seen from two of Eclipsa's spells... well, the All-Seeing Eye and the immortal killing spell are both ones that could be considered to break the rules, crossing boundaries and doing things that even by the few established limits of magic it probably shouldn't be able to do. And the latter at least leaves a mark on its wielder.

And it seems pretty well established that liquid gold seems to represent magic in its purest form, to a point where it starts overwhelming the user's identity.

Also on a random note, Star has used her Bunny Rabbit Blast to rocket jump.

And on another note, I think Spongebob's VA did a cameo with the voice.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think the point is that the All Seeing Eye contrasts with the rest of the living spells in the wand, who are all creations of Star; he's a transplant, an import from Eclipsa's chapter, and notably one the only spells we've seen detailed in Star's new spellbook that isn't her own creation. The episode gives some insight into the way the wand's magic works, especially given Star's talent has been explicitly compared to be as strong as Eclipsa was at her age, but their styles have some strong contrasts. Mainly that while Star's spells are all mostly living, sentient things with rounded personalities and stuff they do when they're not being used, while the Eye is poorly equipped for anything but its intended purpose. (though note that both Star and Marco have used it for other reasons; not to spy on someone who doesn't want to be seen, but to search for someone who has been lost in hopes of rescuing them)