Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

Sinistral posted:

So how much do I have to hate myself to get Gilgamesh.

just re roll when his gatcha is up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Inverse posted:

dont invest too much into lily, she is worse then most 3*, re roll for waver/herc for muh efficiency.

If my favorite servants are anything to go by, efficiency is the last thing on my mind.

(That said, I'm totally rocking El Melloi II because he's great. With kid Iskandar if I can.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lily isn't 'worse than most 3*'. she isn't great but she has a decent buster np and her attack stat isn't any worse than the 3* sabers. she's probably worse than caesar just because caesar brings something unique to the table but she's better than the rest of the 3* sabers

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Lili can clear exp wave with the prana burst, but not really useful outside of np blast.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm gonna get every Servant and use them all.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

im gonna get archer emiya and that'll be good enough for me

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

lily isn't 'worse than most 3*'. she isn't great but she has a decent buster np and her attack stat isn't any worse than the 3* sabers. she's probably worse than caesar just because caesar brings something unique to the table but she's better than the rest of the 3* sabers

as a person who has and used lily on the jp version im letting you know, she is one of the worst, cute though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inverse posted:

as a person who has and used lily on the jp version im letting you know, she is one of the worst, cute though.
oh, really, i havent played the jp version, thanks for letting me know

Captain Keene
Dec 20, 2012
Re: Lily talk, she's not especially good, but you'll get some mileage out of her early on when you're still starved for servants that aren't total garbage. After that she still has use in exp farming teams, her aoe and prana burst can clear a wave, and she offers increased NP generation for your team to help charge her and other team members' aoes up.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Not gonna be able to update servant stuff until Sunday because I'm out of the state away from my PC.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's me, I'm the guy aiming for Stheno. Because I am the world's only fan of the two older Gorgon sisters.

I'm going to field the full team with all Medusas and Stheno will make me an ant as a reward. If you see me say hi

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I hate Suits. All of them.

Sinistral posted:

So how much do I have to hate myself to get Gilgamesh.

No lie, I got 3 Gils on my old JP account by searching deep inside myself in order to accept my limitations as a person and as a human being, coming to terms with said limitations and loving myself anyway, and then throwing about 3 or 4 $20 bills at the screen as I 10-rolled, and that's how you get 3 Gils in 3 subsequent 10-rolls.

You throw the power of money at it just like Tokiomi did.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I too have all 3 Gils on my account, but the game sure took a million rolls before it wanted to cough up Caster Gil.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
https://www.facebook.com/FateGO.USA/photos/a.956270927862274.1073741828.942195675936466/992844374204929/?type=3&theater

Free 4*. Get two tutorial servants for the price of one. Thinking about it, it'd be hilarious if they're just twisting words.

edit: yeah okay, I'm just betting on them twisting words because of the servant giveaway from a long time ago.

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 23, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
So are we getting Saber Lily, free 4*, 45 Quartz, + Tutorial 10 roll?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

That's the best immediate future. Again, the way they worded it seems really off.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

whos cooler elizabeth or marie

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The US servers won't be connected to the JP ones will they? So JP accounts can't be friends with US ones?

I've been playing casually since JP launch and don't feel like leaving Mordred and Gilgamesh behind just to make it a little easier to read the story.

I have such a love/hate relationship with this game. It's great at times but really frustrating at others.

Also, have they announced the micro transaction pricing in the US release? Is it going to be ridiculous like the JP one where it costs like 25 bucks for one roll of the gacha? If it were cheaper I would have dropped so much money on this game but I just can't bring myself to do it knowing how low the drop rates are for rare servants.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I hate Suits. All of them.

Super No Vacancy posted:

whos cooler elizabeth or marie

Elizabeth's cooler because she pseudo-eventually becomes Carmilla who is sick. And Liz is a good little dragon when she's not being led astray by math nerds.

Bakanogami posted:

The US servers won't be connected to the JP ones will they? So JP accounts can't be friends with US ones?

Correct.

Bakanogami posted:

Also, have they announced the micro transaction pricing in the US release? Is it going to be ridiculous like the JP one where it costs like 25 bucks for one roll of the gacha?

No clue, but don't think they've announced it yet. Might be one of those things you don't know until you open it up on midnight 1 and check it out in the game.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I strongly suggest grabbing Herc as your freebie if you don't get him as part of your initial pull. He is by far the best of the launch 4 stars and is useful all the way up to the most recent content if you have his bond CE (which causes him to get a 3-use guts).

Other than that EMIYA and Elizabeth Bathory are the ones that stand the test of time the best, probably followed by Carmilla. Stheno has some situational utility as well.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Question: Is there group/guild/clan content in this game?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

No

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

InfinityComplex posted:

https://www.facebook.com/FateGO.USA/photos/a.956270927862274.1073741828.942195675936466/992844374204929/?type=3&theater

Free 4*. Get two tutorial servants for the price of one. Thinking about it, it'd be hilarious if they're just twisting words.

edit: yeah okay, I'm just betting on them twisting words because of the servant giveaway from a long time ago.

So I can get EMIYA and Tamamo Cat?! Best news ever!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://m.facebook.com/FateGO.USA/photos/a.956270927862274.1073741828.942195675936466/992844374204929/?type=3&source=57

yeah, confirmed it's a free pick on top of your free tutorial roll.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
well if I can get tamamo for free I will probably just reroll the random 4* until I get someone who isn't garbage (which will probably happen first try from what people have been saying), then save quartz for real tamamo

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Velyoukai posted:

No lie, I got 3 Gils on my old JP account by searching deep inside myself in order to accept my limitations as a person and as a human being, coming to terms with said limitations and loving myself anyway, and then throwing about 3 or 4 $20 bills at the screen as I 10-rolled, and that's how you get 3 Gils in 3 subsequent 10-rolls.

You throw the power of money at it just like Tokiomi did.

It's not Gil, but I've gone through 800+ gems, 60+ tickets and about $140 trying to get Rin and still haven't succeeded. So try not to get too crazy when you can't get what you roll on.

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

if you are not going waifus, the best 4* to pick are hercules and emiya, hercules crushes early game eliminating a lot of early grind time and emiya is really good because he slots into nearly every party decently.

the worst are marie and stelthno.

The "perfect" account is to roll waver/herk then pick deon to protect herk or redman because he becomes really good later on.

Inverse fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 23, 2017

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Bakanogami posted:

Also, have they announced the micro transaction pricing in the US release? Is it going to be ridiculous like the JP one where it costs like 25 bucks for one roll of the gacha? If it were cheaper I would have dropped so much money on this game but I just can't bring myself to do it knowing how low the drop rates are for rare servants.

They haven't announced pricing, but here's some depression for you: F/GO's setup is actually one of the better gacha/price setups in Japan currently and that's a key part of why it's so successful. It has a pack of quartz that is perfect for impulse 10-pulls, and a lot of JP players go for it. And thanks to favorable currency conversions, any American playing the JP version actually pays less.

We'll see what they do for pricing on Sunday, but I wouldn't expect it to be terribly different (the Japanese playerbase would have a fit if it's massively cheaper).

Also, as far as the 4*s go (and man, we're getting two out the gate plus Saber Lily, that's a lot of gold on day one), Emiya and Herc are the obvious picks, but Liz and, yes, Stheno are actually picks worth considering.

Liz's Charisma is going to be fairly weak and uninspiring at first, but once you do her Strengthening Quest, it gets way stronger. Liz is basically the best 4* support Lancer in the game - maxed out, her upgraded Charisma gives fellow ladies 40% more attack for three out of every five turns. That's a lot of goddamn power. And given how many heavy hitters in this game are, naturally, women...

Stheno is more an investment in the future. I'll be frank: at launch, she's absolute trash. Her third skill from her Strengthening Quest, though, gives her a Charisma like Liz's, except it applies to Divine Servants. The trick is, that list just gets bigger and includes more good Servants as the game goes on, so her value to a team just increases more and more over time. In Epic of Remnant, the game's first expansion, she's actually not too bad and is particularly useful during some fights early in the Shinjuku chapter, which gives her an opponent who she can use her full skillset against. You're still going for future investment, here, and prior to, like, E Pluribus Unum she's just going to be tragic even if the Strengthening Quests are available day one, but don't dismiss her outright. She has her place on a team.

I could go into a few others, but the point is, while Emiya and Herc are hot poo poo, they aren't the only games in town and there are a few others worth considering.

Captain Keene posted:

Re: Lily talk, she's not especially good, but you'll get some mileage out of her early on when you're still starved for servants that aren't total garbage. After that she still has use in exp farming teams, her aoe and prana burst can clear a wave, and she offers increased NP generation for your team to help charge her and other team members' aoes up.

Pretty much. Lily is from the very early era of the game when they were going to make "free" 4*s notably inferior to gacha ones, and while that course was happily reversed, for a number of reasons they never really could do much for Lily aside from give her some clever buffs when the event that allows you to take her NP to 5 rolled around. She's still saddled with notably inferior base stats, though (they're more equal to a 3* Servant's, but for her it's worse in a way, because not even Grails can save her - because her initial cap is 80, she doesn't even have as much room to grow as a 3* would) and in the long run, "real" Sabers will start to markedly outperform her (Altria Alter, Rama, and Saber-Lancelot all clowning on her particularly hard, and even Elizabeth Brave being notably better).

Still, she gets Mana Burst (a steroid for her Buster cards, which includes her super) fairly early, and there is an argument to be made that, if you're farming, especially in the pre-Merlin, pre-Helena, pre-Drake era we're going to find ourselves in, that third skill of hers is a decent bit more useful than a basic Charisma. She's not a bad Servant to have, especially for the price of free, and I think she at least has more utility than Saber Gilles or Caesar.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

4* lancer is very rare for a long time (about chap 10, in which they release a poo poo ton of lancer) and there's only 2 more 5* lancer around chapter 3-ish.

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"
On the flip side Cu and Proto Cu are there for us from the beginning.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Yeah, they are good for the whole game.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'm picking EMIYA again because there's no way I'd roll for him any other time unless I get spooked by him when I try to go for other Archers.

Marie is cool though, Viva la France and all that

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

I might pick Carmella since good assassins are hard to come by. If not her then Hercules since I've never gotten him until recently.

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"
I'm locked on to Saint Martha.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

now im gonna reroll for elizabeth or marie and then ticket the other

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
EMIYA and Herc for me, and I want to pull Waver. Jeanne would be nice, especially if she starts with her strengthening quest available.

Man, the early game's going to be a lot different now that I can't spam the master XP quests.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Emiya is also in a lot of events.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

So people have come to the consensus that the pool of 10 units you get can be chosen from instead of just rolled randomly. If this is the case I'm grabbing Hurk.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nomadic Scholar posted:

So people have come to the consensus that the pool of 10 units you get can be chosen from instead of just rolled randomly. If this is the case I'm grabbing Hurk.
You roll one of the ten randomly as part of the game's tutorial, and then as part of the launch promotion they're letting you pick one of the 10. So you get two of the ten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What do you do with duplicates in this game? Can you deploy both? Should you, ever? Do you use the dupe to power up the original, or do you mulch it for a resource?