Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Why does assassins have low attack? You think they would be good at stabbing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
It was always a thing in Fate that assassins are always the weakest class if they're fighting head on and FGO doesn't have an ambush mode yet

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the thing with different classes giving different amounts of np on hit is also an awful hidden stat

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
It seems weird to complain about specific hidden stats in a game where attacks are described as "A rank" and dealing "significant" damage. The entire combat system is hidden mechanics, really the only difference from one mechanic to another is whether the commonly-used fan wikis surface it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ashsaber posted:

The Halloween rerun made me realize just how far I've come since last year, in terms of power level. Last year the boss rush node made me use my command seals after wiping, after the Tamamo who I was planning on using as the center of a stall team got death-ed on the first wave. This year I had one servant get to ~3k health, but didn't lose anyone, and beat the whole thing in like 15 turns total, a marked improvement.

Aldo, JFC, why are Casters so terrible on offense? doing the Kiyohime strengthening quest, and decided to take a friend Sanzang out to beat a 27k health Soul Eater. Even with her own buffs and a Waver buff her Brave chain starting from NP did only around half that. Such a goddamn slog.

Are you sure you weren't debuffed or something? Sanzang's hits are a bit light, but not "only 13k damage from a NP, with class advantage" light. Even Medea hits harder than that.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Are you sure you weren't debuffed or something? Sanzang's hits are a bit light, but not "only 13k damage from a NP, with class advantage" light. Even Medea hits harder than that.

Pretty sure they typoed 270k. 27k is not within the normal range of HP totals for Soul Eaters.

edit: Soul Eaters are just a massive pain in general; Lu Bu is really the only passable F2P option for them on NA right now, and even he'll struggle to get the tough ones below half health. I've started using Archuria for them but even then it feels like I'm building my entire team to kill an enemy that's usually only the midboss-- and it takes multiple turns to do so.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 20, 2018

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
the insult to injury of soul eaters is like nobody needs their goddamn drop either

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

NRVNQSR posted:

Pretty sure they typoed 270k. 27k is not within the normal range of HP totals for Soul Eaters.

edit: Soul Eaters are just a massive pain in general; Lu Bu is really the only passable F2P option for them on NA right now, and even he'll struggle to get the tough ones below half health. I've started using Archuria for them but even then it feels like I'm building my entire team to kill an enemy that's usually only the midboss-- and it takes multiple turns to do so.

Yeah, it was this. it was a 276k hp soul eater. I'm probably a bit spoiled by all the Bicorn midbosses I've taken down in one turn using Altera/Saberlot/Waver.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Space Flower posted:

hidden info can be cool when it enables a player to get inventive or feel like they've uncovered info that gives them a strategic advantage, it owns less when its poo poo like "actually your assassins have 10% less attack" or "if you put your buster NP at the end of the chain it says Attack++, but this is just a blatant lie"
wait what

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Noble Phantasms are not effected by card bonuses, at least not the Buster one I'm pretty sure.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

NP effects are not modified by their position in the chain.
NP chains are the exception.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Wait does a buster chain increase NP damage? I swear this is driving me nuts

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Ledgy posted:

No.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ledgy posted:

No. NPs are not affected by chain bonuses or position at all. A NP will do the same amount of damage in a Buster-Buster-NP chain as it will in a NP-Buster-Buster chain. It doesn't get a boost from the first card, it doesn't get a boost for being later in the chain, and it doesn't get a boost if all three attacks are the same type.

Generally, you want to put your NP in the first position if you can, so that you can save those boosts for the normal cards.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

But, if you're using two or three NPs in one turn then the ones that come later will get a 100% overcharge bonus, up to 500% (for a 300% charged NP used after another two NPs)
Also, if you kill a target with an NP and follow with a normal attack (or viceversa) the target will change, so that might be relevant when choosing card order. Big hitters like Kintoki or Jeanne can potentially clear an entire wave on their own even though they have single-target NPs.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Clawtopsy posted:

the insult to injury of soul eaters is like nobody needs their goddamn drop either

This, so much. I'm already at the point where I could never get another drop of it and would still end up with all the Grease I'll need to max everyone I'm interested in up to where JP currently is. If only I could trade in some of the excess for the lower mats I need a ton of.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gologle posted:

I find that highly doubtful actually.

EDIT: About Nasu doing his research, I mean. Some of the writers seem to care about their historical/mythological accuracies, some don't.
Nasu has shown more understanding of Arthurian myth than basically any other writer who's touched on the material in the past fifty years.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Endorph posted:

Nasu has shown more understanding of Arthurian myth than basically any other writer who's touched on the material in the past fifty years.

Sadly including people who actually made movies about it...

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Endorph posted:

Greg Stafford passed away recently. :colbert:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Traveller posted:

Greg Stafford passed away recently. :colbert:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's time for the Great Nasuverse Pendragon Campaign

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Plutonis posted:

It's time for the Great Nasuverse Pendragon Campaign

I'd play it tbh

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Endorph posted:

Terry Jones from Monty Python

Waci posted:

Gotta update it/make it edgy/put your own lovely spin on it :sigh:

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Waci posted:

I want my Kung-Fu George servant.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Sodium Chloride posted:

Terry Jones from Monty Python

43 years might be less than 50, but only just.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
My wheelhouse is more the Indian side of things and they've absolutely shown their work on those topics. it's honestly super impressive how well they've fleshed out the Indian characters (outside Parvati for obvious reasons and to a lesser extent Sita).

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

SC Bracer posted:

My wheelhouse is more the Indian side of things and they've absolutely shown their work on those topics. it's honestly super impressive how well they've fleshed out the Indian characters (outside Parvati for obvious reasons and to a lesser extent Sita).

Meanwhile my thing is south american mythology and history and the amount of effort they've put into that is like Void Shiki: nonexistent in this world. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im into chinese history and well lu bu and zhuge liang are duds but besides the obvious issues they actually did a decent job with wu in terms of understanding what she was historically and playing off that so theres that at least

and yan qing is a really good interpretation of the ancient chinese literature equivalent of one of those guys ash runs into in pokemon, solves an issue for, and then never talks to again

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Cards gain extra damage, NP generation and crit star generation if they're second or third compared to what they would do as the leading card. NP cards don't gain this bonus.
E: The boost is to the card's baseline. Third place buster will still generate zero NP without a leading arts card.

Cards (including first place) gain extra damage, NP generation or crit star generation depending on which type of card started the chain. Np cards don't gain this bonus (but if you lead with an NP later cards do gain the relevant bonus).

The chain bonus for selecting 3 buster/art/quick cards is applied normally, even if one or more of those cards is an NP.

Keep in mind the buster chain bonus is that each card deals extra damage equal to 20% of the character's raw attack stat, unmodified by (de)buffs, crits or the class triangle. When Jalter's NP hits for 70 to 90k with a 50% attack buff and a 50% buster buff, an extra 3k is a small bonus. If you stack enough buffs for 150% attack up, 100% buster up, 100% NP up and 500% event bonus, her NP will melt everything but the brave chain bonus will still be 3k.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 21, 2018

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Omobono posted:

Cards gain extra damage, NP generation and crit star generation if they're second or third compared to what they would do as the leading card. NP cards don't gain this bonus.
E: The boost is to the card's baseline. Third place buster will still generate zero NP without a leading arts card.

Cards (including first place) gain extra damage, NP generation or crit star generation depending on which type of card started the chain. Np cards don't gain this bonus (but if you lead with an NP later cards do gain the relevant bonus).

The chain bonus for selecting 3 buster/art/quick cards is applied normally, even if one or more of those cards is an NP.

Keep in mind the buster chain bonus is that each card deals extra damage equal to 20% of the character's raw attack stat, unmodified by (de)buffs, crits or the class triangle. When Jalter's NP hits for 70 to 90k with a 50% attack buff and a 50% buster buff, an extra 3k is a small bonus. If you stack enough buffs for 150% attack up, 100% buster up, 100% NP up and 500% event bonus, her NP will melt everything but the brave chain bonus will still be 3k.
I knew all of that except the "NP cards don't gain placement bonuses" thing. What a :psyduck: thing for the game to not tell you.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!

Elephant Parade posted:

I knew all of that except the "NP cards don't gain placement bonuses" thing. What a :psyduck: thing for the game to not tell you.

As someone mentioned earlier, it’s even worse than that because it tells you the opposite.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

From a design perspective it makes sense because there's a 40% difference in damage between first and third place cards, and that would be way too high. Same reason Buster, Art and Quick NPs have their multiplier tuned so that damage is normalized across card type.
The problem is the UI lying about it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Omobono posted:

From a design perspective it makes sense because there's a 40% difference in damage between first and third place cards, and that would be way too high. Same reason Buster, Art and Quick NPs have their multiplier tuned so that damage is normalized across card type.
The problem is the UI lying about it.

Well, Buster and Arts NPs are normalized across their NP cards, but Quick is actually tuned as if Quick cards did 75% base damage instead of 80%. So instead you get Quick NPs doing just a little bit more damage than an equivalent leveled Buster or Arts NP with the same stats and effects. :eng101:

I just assume that sometime early in development they were gonna have Quick cards be even weaker but changed things up at the last minute but forgot to adjust Quick NPs while they were at it.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

So basically, an NP will always do the same amount of damage* no matter what other cards are involved in the chain? jfc

* for given stats, attributes, buffs, etc.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Barring NP chains and the few overcharge effects that increase damage, yes

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Barring NP chains and the few overcharge effects that increase damage, yes
Overcharging doesn't increase damage? What the gently caress.

e: No wait, chaining/overcharging does boost damage, right? And there's no difference between a 200% NP and a 100% NP chained off another NP?

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Elephant Parade posted:

Overcharging doesn't increase damage? What the gently caress.

e: No wait, chaining/overcharging does boost damage, right? And there's no difference between a 200% NP and a 100% NP chained off another NP?

Overcharge only increases NP damage if the overcharge effect is in fact extra damage. So basically only Arash and people that deal Special damage to certain traits (Siegfried, Mordred, MHX, etc.). For most NPs, the only way to increase their damage is to improve the servant's stats and increasing the NP level, that's it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

chains only boost overcharge level, which usually only increases the effectiveness of whatever buffs/debuffs a servant has on their NP. servants like arash or those with additional trait-based damage are the only ones that would get more damage due to chains afaik.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

and here I thought a three-NP combo was the ultimate in burst damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Rider Kintoki can nab a silly big Quick bonus off overcharge, though then you probably aren't refilling with other Quick cards.