Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Bedivere's NP is Agateram instead of Airgetlám for similar reasons. It's whatever in the big scheme of things and probably shouldn't be used as an indicator for the quality of the rest of their translation but always amusing when the Japanese side tries to keep its engrish running. They're in too deep to suddenly change all of their own merchandise to proper english and guess they figure may as well keep it the same in NA just in case they start dumping the same merchandise there too.

For Fire Emblem I still laugh whenever I remember that the official romanization for Donnel, who is Doni in Japan, is Denis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Endorph posted:

they also said that the game wouldn't have any character designs altered or changed in localization, which naturally means there's 70 posts on the subreddit jacking off about a victory over the imaginary SJWs.

Cntrl+F for SJW only brings up somebody with a Jack avatar arguing that she shouldn't be censored--gee, I wonder why--and one other guy who seems kind of like a dick anyway. So, uh, 2 posts on the subreddit jacking off about a victory over the imaginary SJWs compared to 1 post on SA jacking off about a victory over the imaginary SJW-hating subreddit jacking off about a victory over the imaginary SJWs?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

As I understand it we're currently expecting to get:
  • Tutorial 10-pull with a guaranteed random tutorial servant.
  • One extra tutorial servant of our choice
  • 42 extra quartz
  • Welfare Saber Lily and a bunch of other random stuff
So if you're grinding for a specific 5* it sounds like each reroll will give you a bit over 20 pulls? How long would it take to play enough tutorial to get 18 more quartz?

The tutorial 10-pull cannot contains 5* so you only get one 10-pull for that. For the second it's hard to say how long it'd take until we know more details, like whether we have Start Dash in at launch. Without Start Dash and its free 12 quartz for clearing the prologue you'd actually need to do all of the prologue including free quests and some of ch1 to get enough but with Start Dash you'd only need to do the story missions in the prologue. I doubt we'll get it and instead feel like they'll add it in after the 42 quartz campaign ends in august.

Unless you want Altria Horta or whatever they call her in your roll pool it's probably faster to just roll all that you've got right after the tutorial roll. For 5* you shouldn't need to be doing full 10-pulls since I very much doubt that the odds are higher than 1% even for the 3* or higher servant slot or the 4* or higher anything slot.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Don't go for volume compared to going for what you like/would actually enjoy using. If you want 3 specific 4* units over any specific 5* unit though it's about the same probability given the pick so re-rolling for two of them using the tutorial wouldn't be so bad. Exact math for re-rolling the tutorial for a specific pair of 4* and then saving all your quartz is (1-(1-.03/10)^8)*.1 = .24% whereas rolling for a specific 5* using all of your quartz is (1-(1-.01/5)^14) = .28%. Oops, it's actually 2.8% and only .28% if you also want a specific 4*, which I guess would be wanting 2 specific 4* in addition to the 5* since we get the pick.

If you really, really want a 5* available in a later gacha might be worth aiming for the tutorial roll bounty and saving the 42 we're given, I guess.

Decus fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 24, 2017

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

I think you misplaced the decimal point on that second one; I make it 2.8%, not .28%?

Ah, yep. Had thought the result was weird and that'd be why.

edit: And now I figured it out, meant for the 5* example to also want a specific 4* in the tutorial which doesn't make as much sense as it did before we got the servant pick.

Decus fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 24, 2017

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Their social media presence has increased and they've started responding to questions. We're getting the Start Dash campaign at launch which means two 10-pulls is as easy as rushing Fuyuki's story, don't even have to do free quests.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, it's the nature thing that hurts it a lot. The chance of getting a particular rate-up in FEH usually ends up being around 3% due to the separate 3% roll, sometimes as low as 2% if the color distribution is absolutely terrible for it. But, if you only want 1/3rd of the possible natures you're actually lower than the chance of getting a FGO character on rate-up or around the same at best.

FGO rates are actually good for getting characters you want, as you want them since it's apparently around .6% for an SSR on rate-up regardless of roster size and there are no other rolls to screw over their stats. Something like GBF, even with 6% rates on rate-ups, gives you .2%.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Can also shortcut it if you have two devices, two emulator instances or an emulator and a device. You'd generate a bind code on one of them, enter it on the other and then try to access the first one again. Suddenly it removes your data without requiring you to re-download the entire game. If you want to save the bind code for somebody else though you'd have to generate it again on the second device and copy that down.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, you should never need to link an account to anything before the re-roll--you'd do it afterward. But he's right in that if they do have an account link system instead of a bind system giving away accounts would get much harder which sort of collectively increases the difficulty of re-roll, since can't just give the good stuff you don't want away or take somebody else's good stuff that you do.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Decus posted:

Can also shortcut it if you have two devices, two emulator instances or an emulator and a device. You'd generate a bind code on one of them, enter it on the other and then try to access the first one again. Suddenly it removes your data without requiring you to re-download the entire game. If you want to save the bind code for somebody else though you'd have to generate it again on the second device and copy that down.

Tired Moritz posted:

ooooooh, does this really work? I'm so down with this.

Apparently the answer is no now. They must've changed the japanese version and thus likely the NA version to re-download the entire game now so wouldn't save any time.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Liz, Marie, Martha, Stheno and all of the VN 3* + Lu Bu and Robin Hood
E2P4xHWhzF

Vlad, Tama, Martha, 3* kind of bad but Medusa is there
zcstUQcRW4

The password for both is just 'fate' without quotes. Both accounts cleared fuyuki and used up 60 quartz in vain attempts to roll both Saber Alter and Waver. Wasn't really paying attention to which 4* CEs either had but definitely no 5*.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The drop rate on these dragon claws I need to ascend Salter sucks.

Japan says you can expect one every 479AP spent. You probably don't want to be spending AP on that--events will give them out or have them in their shop eventually.

edit: Oh, you probably mean the fangs. Yeah, those aren't quite as disgusting but a similar story in that you're better off just waiting.

Decus fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 30, 2017

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

MotU posted:

How does leveling curves work with Ascensions? If you got an S-wave type curve is it like 15 bad lvls/15 good/15 bad/15 good etc etc taking into account Ascensions/Grails?

Grail levels are all linear. And S-type doesn't alternate, it just gets better as it moves toward the middle level out of their natural maximum and falls off as it moves away from it.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Nyaa posted:

Master lv cap is either 100 or 120 depends on which version of the game we are having.

In-game I think it says it's 130?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

delfin posted:

If I need a piece or monument from dailies to finish my master missions, what do I run? I haven't gotten any chaining Ember 30s.

Embers (hand enemies) are only for exp cards. Treasure Vault (door enemies) are only for QP. The middle quests, duels or monsters, are for monuments and gems respectively. We won't be back to duel quests (monuments) until Monday so you've probably missed this week's master quest for them.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, it's possible saturday and sunday would have something. Don't think they did when Japan was on these quests, but Japan also didn't have the master missions at that time and saturday/sunday lacking the gem/monument quests would be kind of mean for that so possible they'd add a random version of both there for us.

Also possible that they wouldn't, though in that case at least you'd know for next week's missions.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

When it comes to farming ascension materials I'm pretty sure the best free quests are better than the current dailies, so that's a strong reason to go through the story and unlock them.

Naw, you still want to do the 30AP dailies when applicable, especially at this stage of the game. Well, at least if the final wave has something you'd like since 30AP for a guaranteed drop is actually really good for what is dropped in that final wave. In the thursday monster hunt that means you're always getting a phoenix plume or a bow gem and for the friday monster hunt you're always getting a dragon aho, heart of a foreign god or rider/caster gems. All of those things save the gems are only realistically farmed from those quests at this point in the game. For caster gems, that is also the best place to get them (maybe the only place too?).

For the piece/monument quests it really depends on what you want. If you just want void's refuse and pieces/monuments in general--you kind of should at this stage of the game--then they're absolutely the best thing for you to be doing since, again, 30AP for a guaranteed drop is really good. Comparatively, you could expect to spend at least 50AP for each piece and hundreds for each monument via free quests. For pieces this may or may not be a good idea if you want specific ones or other drops from the quest (for example, Jura's free quest also can give dragon fangs and ygg seeds), but in all other cases it's a terrible idea over just doing the daily and collecting whatever pieces/monuments are thrown your way because you'll have a use for all of them even if just to collect interlude quartz.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Is knights the 20? Don't think I've tried that yet.

No, you want the 30AP daily. The 20AP is a scam since it basically has the same drop chances as the 10AP but the 30AP guarantees a drop in wave 3. Knights is the other duel daily that has saber/lancer/archer/berserker pieces instead of rider/assassin/caster/berserker pieces.

Who you get in the final stage is going to be RNG no matter what and for me that RNG has been berserker basically every time. But, at this stage of the game you just want pieces/monuments in general so anything is fine. For instance, in order to see all of the berserker interludes you'd need 22 or so berserker pieces as they're the most common class at the start. For this type of game you really need to get into the mindset of "everything in time" since nothing is going to be instant gratification unless you buy quartz and use them to restore AP or something else very silly.

When people say that "we have the bad quests" or "these quests are bad" they're comparing to what Japan eventually got several months after release. Those quests are better for specific things which makes a ton more sense when you'd only be needing them for new servant releases, for the most part. It'll be several months before content that wants anything beyond 1st ascension so may as well invest in getting everybody there for interludes and not worry about 2nd or 3rd beyond events unlocking more materials/better farms. You could farm free quests for specifics but the drop rates are going to be terrible to the point that you could spend hundreds of AP and end up with nothing compared to spending 30AP to always get something that you will need for something, eventually. And, eventually, you would get what you want.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Thanks. I just want to ascend Jeanne, basically. Someone in my friends list has a 70 Jeanne and I'm super jealous.

Yeah, for Jeanne you absolutely want to be doing the 30AP piece/monument quest since you'll also want 5 of every monument which absolutely have the best rates from the 3rd wave on those quests. Jeanne is one of the few servants you technically could 4th ascend before any events.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
If you don't actually care about any of the 5* currently available and you like everything you have then you're fine. If you feel like you'd want a 5* currently available then yeah now is absolutely the time to pick it up. This game isn't really about servant strength compared to what servants you like since if/when you actually would want a Waver for something he'll be somewhere on the support list for you to pop in. Same for having a good berserker to clear waves--especially as the game ages you'll find plenty of what you'd want on the support list.

That said, even just re-rolling for something like multiple 5* CE would help you a lot if you don't particularly care for a 5* character. Those will make anybody stronger and while 5* CE aren't going to be too rare as you start rolling in later gacha now is absolutely the best time to pick up some of the better ones while the pool is smaller.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

From those rankings it seems like rerolling for a 5* right now is not really worth the time if Waver is really the only outstanding one available at the moment. In fact it looks like a roll of, like, Hercules / Cu Chulainn is better than one with a 5*.

Remember that ratings are just comparing like to like, so none of that is comparing the 5* to the 4* or the 3*. A lot of it also depends on what compositions you plan on running and some of the "bad" 5* are only bad under the assumption that you'll be rolling better versions of them in the future which may or may not be the case. Grails can make a lot of 4* competitive with 5* and 3* competitive with either, but they are a limited resource--you can only grail so many things up to that level.

Even Altria and Altera are good at launch and while Saber Alter is arguably better than either she's also harder to re-roll for and, well, to roll for in general since she won't be in most gacha pools--she's notably in kintoki's but if you don't plan on rolling for him you likely aren't getting her for a very, very long time and re-rolling for her now takes like an hour per run compared to 10 minutes for a 5*. Similarly, you may or may not succeed in rolling for better Sabers in the future and if you don't succeed then for you, personally, whichever of these two you picked up would still be the best Sabers.

That said, what I mentioned above still applies; if you don't like any of the 5* characters may as well not put in any effort rolling for them if it'd just be for ability. For ability you can just use a support servant mixed with lower rarity characters you like/that work well with them for the particular fight.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

You mustn't have been made by Tecmo Koei either, then.

On topic: did anyone manage to farm Reverse Dragon wings for ascensions? They seem to really not want to drop from any dragon in Orleans. Only got 1 through the story.

I don't think there are any dragons in free quests? The only dragon is in story quests and it's a guaranteed drop, yeah. You want friday's 30AP monster hunt. The final wave is either a demon or a dragon, presumably 50% chance of either, and a guaranteed chest. The chest could contain either a magic gem, secret gem or the dragon scale, more likely the former than the latter.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Tae posted:

Does the rule of doing the highest AP for hunting quests applies or do you actually have a choice on what gives what?

Kind of/sort of depends on what you want for the hunting quests since they do have different enemy sets for reach rarity. That said, most of the lower AP options contain stuff that you could farm with some success from free quests whereas the the highest AP option contains stuff you only can farm from it while also containing the rarer of the lower AP enemies. And they have a guaranteed chest during the third wave even if it'll usually be a skill gem of some rarity.

For the friday quest, at least during half-off, you could do the middle level for chimera drops at less AP than germania. Still you probably shouldn't, but if you're absolutely desperate for claws it's the currently best available option. There's absolutely no reason to do the middle option for the thursday quest.

edit: Now that I've tried it several times either I'm really lucky or the chest is guaranteed for 20AP (10AP right now) monster hunts as well. So, probably a good idea to try to kill the chimera if you want claws.

Decus fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 7, 2017

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
The context for "AoE NP aren't that good" is usually 5* units and under the logic that a 5* is bad if a 3* or 4* would perform just as well if not better. But, that generally means that every NP1 5* is bad, not just the AoE ones since we get strong single target NP5 4* for free. Just use the stuff you like and figure out what support they need to win, even if they're AoE in a fight where single target would be better.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
If you like phantom though those mats are better spent on him than any of the others. And he's low rarity so it's not like he takes much to bring up.

Think about most of the game's content too. Very few things are ultra, super hard to the extent that you can't spare a slot for a favourite. For the stuff that is that hard having spent resources into a 1-2* that you like will not be the difference between success and failure.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

I guess, it just seems like you're more likely to open yourself up to being in a situation where you hit a sudden wall that requires some last minute/unexpected scrambling to put together a team. I suppose this is just more from the perspective of someone only a few months into the game where there are realistically you can only have so many servants on hand; later on your arsenal will be large enough to cover more contingencies. My big fear would be being unable to finish an event for example because I neglected to put together a good enough selection of teams.

Anyway, that's all pieces/monuments taken care of :toot: Now onto the hell of Hearts grinding.

It's more that you don't need an arsenal to cover all contingencies since friend support exists for a reason and the moment a piece of just-released content seems well-suited to a certain servant anybody who put any effort into it will put it into the support slot for max FP. Most of the content that warrants even that is one and done rather than stuff you're farming, so you can use your command seals if it comes to it. As another thing, resources are grindy now because content is easy so as to not really need them to the extent that people are aiming for. As the grinds become easier content will become fit to match where you'd have your servants due to said easier grinds but still won't really be "you fail due to poorly invested resources" due to that. This game doesn't expect obsessive participation at every step of the way in order to keep stepping later! Only obsess if you enjoy obsessing.

If you're worried about an unbalanced use of resources it'd be putting them into 4* or 5* servants you plan to use rarely if at all. Or into higher ascensions on S-curve 4* and 5* where you aren't gaining them much of anything, especially not with current content. Or increasing the level on skills that don't really need it yet, like say if you brought any of Emiya's to 5 instead of ascending a low rarity assassin or caesar with those gears. Investing into a 1-2*, especially one you like, is never going to be wasted resources.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

oath2order posted:

Wait, is that in US version? It's really hard to tell from any of the resources strengthening quests are in the english version and what are not.

None of the strengthening quests have been released but any interludes that correspond to unlocked areas are in the game, including the NP interludes. Strengthen quests will have announcements to go with their release but I don't think interludes will have anything really until we start getting the stuff past Japan's new years update. If you want to see what interludes are in the game just check cirno's interlude page and note what stuff requires only fuyuki/orleans/septem.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Robviously posted:

Is Monster Hunting new in NA or is that just something I missed?

That's their name for the Wednesday/Thursday daily with the skill gems and materials, just like the mon/tue/sat/sun events are Duels or whatever.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
She's good for her role of AoE Caster NP. Most of her competition is story locked and the rest of it lacks either ways to boost their own NP damage or an attack stat or both. I think Babbage after interludes/strengthen quests can compete with her but otherwise she's the easiest budget AoE to use unless you're going to grail shakespeare.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Ashsaber posted:

So for the new dailies, are the higher levels more likely to give out gems? Or are items just really rare in general? ?I kinda want to know whether to do like 20 or 40 AP to get chaos claws.

I'd wait for people to collect more data in NA. Japan says 30AP is best for claws but their data-set was super small and it's unclear when they collected it--new enemies are added to these dailies after every story release. It's to the point where if their data there was accurate 30AP would still be worse than what NA collected for running Germania, which could still end up being the case! And likely is, to be honest.

edit: ^ We can't get homunculus babies from the Lancer Daily yet so yeah must have come from an interlude. The enemies for that won't be in the daily until after London.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, everybody in every game like this has a general idea of what's coming and people will always save. Know the source material? Chances are at some point something you like from it will exist in the gacha. See something cool as an NPC in a gacha event? Chances are you'll be able to roll for it one day (or not). NA's only advantage is having a rough timeline rather than "I may be saving for years, but dammit I want my muramasa" or whatever.

Most people didn't save for tama because she's good but because she has a decent fanbase. It's probably the same for anybody saving for jalter or whoever else.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I'm pretty sure enemy actions are based on class, with stuff like zerkers capped at 2. Can't recall any zerker ever doing 3 at least.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Stallion Cabana posted:

I've been poking around on leveling the Christmas bonus servants and some of them are a pain in the rear end.

Looking at pure numbers and ease of Mats, I would learn towards Darius, Robin, and Jing Ke for the common servants to raise the most; none of them have very expensive mats. Ceaser requires Claws, while David requires Hearts; even though we just got a ton of those from Gudaguda they are probably still pretty rare so I"m not sure if I'd go in on raising them unless I was going to use them consistently.

Both Martha and Robin need Seeds though, so it might be time to farm some of those.

David is also really useful in general though since one of his skills is a full party evade, so you'd have him built up for future content/challenges. Similarly, Caesar is a really strong single target saber and you won't need to ascend him to the claw level due to his stat growth curve--he'll have gained most of his stats by 2nd ascend, gain a bit more from 3rd and then gain almost nothing from 4th other than the ability to do his strengthen in the future when it unlocks.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Stallion Cabana posted:

I mean I would suggest leveling everyone up to the base level you feel comfortable with since we have a half stamina cost EXP event; but yeah 4th Ascension Ceaser is a line I personally wouldn't cross, particularly because I have an Okita. It just depends on what cards you have, so I was aiming for a more general overview.

This hasn't been discussed much that I've seen, but if you've been saving apples for this farm you won't be using them until the final few days after Santa Alter unlocks--you can't get her until near the end and it's better to save apples for her +4/+8 with support--so it'll be less about stuffing in bonuses at that point and more about how much real world time you want to invest, so quick clears trump any given +1 even for 40AP farming. You'll be using support Jack before then for your 40AP farms so Jing Ke isn't really needed unless you want to ascend/level her to have around more generally for whatever reason. Darius is just bad, in my opinion.

So, guess my general overview is don't worry about it too much? But David/Caesar are useful regardless of what servants you have and definitely worth investing into at least somewhat. Even if you have Okita, Caesar is a really good support for her since he has np damage up, atk up and target-able crit up, pretty much everything she could ever want. Oh yeah, Robin Hood is useful too so if you really want to focus resources into something I'd recommend those three.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, if they ran it near christmas like they did for Japan what I posted earlier would have been even more true, since doubt anybody would want to farm on the 24th or 25th. Now we can use the 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th to farm. Most of those days comfortably fall on the weekend too.

Soonest London will hit is the 20th since they do a week of half-off story first so that'll be another break. And then there should be no events for a while to give you time to do the chapter at your own pace. They won't do Saber Wars before London due to one of the sabers participating being released with London, don't think, not to mention that absolutely would create event fatigue. They don't own Star Wars and receive absolutely no money from trying to hype the movie release with their game, whereas any Star Wars hype will still exist in January when they run their parody event.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Gologle posted:

Remember that it takes a bit over 300 4* EXP cards (with class compatibility, or the ALL cards) to completely and fully level up 1 5* Servants, and probably close to that for 1 4* Servants, and a little bit less for 3*s. Even though 40 is a lot and you can theoretically get an unlimited amount if you have no life and sacrifice all your apples and some quartz, you will still have to grind for them, and grind a lot.

EDIT: Wait a minute, it appears exp leveling is equal among all Servants, regardless of rarity? I didn't know that. Nevermind what I said, it's just a bit over 300 for all Servants to max their levels. Still a lot of grinding though.

The max level is different depending on rarity and rarity affects the grail'd level scaling, so that's not quite the case. A 4* only needs 265 cards to go from 1 to 80 and 378 to go from 1 to 90 whereas a 5* is just 377 from 1 to 90. A 1* from 1 to 90 would take 381, since grail'd levels get more expensive much faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

That is all genuinely fascinating to me. Math is cool.

Another thing that stood out was the terminology with some servants' NP damage. Robin, Bryn, Gil, Carmilla get boosts to their NP under certain circumstances and this is labeled "Special Damage", acting as a flat increase applied after the fact. Jack's on the other hand is labeled "Own Damage" presumably because the effect propagates through to all other cards she uses. But because of that distinction, the boost is "50%" at regular overcharge even though it seems to work out to the same 1.5x effect that say Byrn gets on hers.

It's a different category of effect. The one Byrn's is in has 100% subtracted in the calculations whereas Jack's is in the same category as, say, Scathach's divinity skill which does not have 100% subtracted. IMO it's an issue with the display on most wiki and such--they should just subtract that 100% to make things clearer to people.