Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Anthem is the new sci-fi co-op game from Mass Effect producer Bioware.
Available Fall 2018 on PC (probably Origin), PS4 and Xbox One.

Unlike Mass Effect, Anthem will be less a single player rpg and more a shared world / loot based third person shooter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL5GSfs9fi4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OSXEatkdJ4

AAB posted:

Its Destiny, but also Horizon and you're Iron Man

You are a free-lancer and you take missions from NPCs. To complete missions you use exo-suits called Javelins. Each javelin belongs to one of four classes, which bring different stats and powers. At the reveal both the Ranger (an all-rounder javelin) and the Colossus (a tank type javelin) were shown, with other two javelin types being hinted at in the U.I.

World traversal is via jetpacks, any kind of fast travel has yet to be seen but joining already running parties is in.

The keywords during the reveal were

* Large Scale Open World
For now only one area was shown, a large luscious forest intersected with ruins. The demo traversed underwater caverns as well and the players got XP for discovering new zones.

* Large Scale Dynamic Events
Needs to be seen how events compare with public events on a timer in Destiny, or if they are triggered by the currently ongoing quests.

* Large Scale
Just a bit smaller than your mom.

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Romance Options!

Co-Op Mode!

Glenn Quebec posted:

I only talk to my friends in a video game with the deepest of batman voices and as laconically as possible.

OMG! LOOT GRIND!

A Multiplatform Game!

(shamelessly stolen from the Destiny 2 PC Thread)

Tei posted:

Then CPU of PC computers simply cant run games well. Every time you press a key the control of the computer is directed to the keyboard where a 4004 CPU do a number of calculations, only when it finish the control is returned to the main CPU.

On consoles, the rendering of the screen is offload to a grid with one million servers on amazon AWS, each pixel is sugared and massaged and is returned to the console using the industry standard OpenGL format.

PCs actually run on 5 volts and are not compatible with your energy grid. A real alive mouse need to live inside the box, the noise it produce running a weel is well know.

Consoles run on oversized bricks that consume 1200 wats on idle operation, more with the console active. Rendering all these sugared pixels require a massive ammount of power.

It make me happy that Destiny 2 looks soo good on the PC. It means the mouses inside the PC boxes are working extra hard to please their owners.

Not Destiny!

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 25, 2017

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Tim loving Buckley? Are you loving serious?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Tim loving Buckley? Are you loving serious?

Bioware + Tim loving Buckley. A match made in heaven.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Bioware Does Attack on Titan

it's gonna be extremely loving bad and we're all gonna be losing our minds when Andromeda turns out to be the better game

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Can they please outsource this game to a Japanese studio so we can have cool mech designs

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm the totally natural and not at all stilted banter between the players. Who even started the trend of doing that kind of thing in co-op trailers? The Division?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Can I dialogue tree and eventually have sex with my coop partner?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

(In game)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Hi friends

Surprised it took this long until we saw a Destiny-like

Hopefully the combat feedback loop is comparable, the game will live and die by that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Why give this to loving Bioware of all companies? Surely EA has another name to put it under that has a better reputation for doing action?

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Perestroika posted:

I'm the totally natural and not at all stilted banter between the players. Who even started the trend of doing that kind of thing in co-op trailers? The Division?

pretty sure it was the division

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I'd be even more hype for this game if it didn't have the stink of bioware on it after the failure that was ME:A.
Don't give a gently caress if it was a different team or whatever, still bioware

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cythereal posted:

Why give this to loving Bioware of all companies? Surely EA has another name to put it under that has a better reputation for doing action?

Because Bioware functionally isn't the same company that made ME1/ME2/DA:O etc anymore.

They're just another dev. Still, looks interesting. :shrug:

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Then I bet you loved the Wildlands pre-release gameplay.
I think they're supposed to be emulating banter with your bros or just playing up to the target audience, but no one wants to hear that poo poo unless they're going to do full uncensored recordings.
I want to hear the players calling each other bitches for stealing loot or kills

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

It looks like Bioware decided they needed to make a Twin Film of/competitor to Destiny after their lead writer left for Bungie.

That being said, it seems p good, I'm excited to see what they've come up with.

I'll likely not stop playing Destiny, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy both.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Cythereal posted:

Maybe because of their experience with SW:TOR?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Perestroika posted:

It comes off as super fake, but it proposes a multiplayer game that wouldn't suck utter dick. Me and some buddies exploring an alien world in cool mech suits together and having a great time, not repeating boring rear end instances endlessly in the hopes that an item with a bigger number might generate.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Since we're starting out with terrible jokes (i.e. Buckley) right off the gate, might as well do the inevitable one:

Is this an Ayn Rand game? :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

WaltherFeng posted:

Can they please outsource this game to a Japanese studio so we can have cool mech designs

Yeah the whole cybernetic spine thing is so played out these day.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's nothing eminently hateable in the trailer, the graphics and gameplay all look pretty good and the world itself seems interesting. But I feel like there has to be some kind of hook that sets it apart from a Destiny clone, and given Bioware's recent track record, it's a very much wait and see type thing. I think if this had come from any other developer I would be significantly more enthused than I am now, ironic as I used to like pretty much everything they put out.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Goddamn it limacat, you made the thread now I have no excuse to skip this game!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lol, call me when it's Respawn making this game, not Bioware.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
it sucks already

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurtofan posted:

it sucks already

I think it's more that this is a game no one asked for.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah the whole cybernetic spine thing is so played out these day.

This unironically

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Interview with Dorito Pope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrHm5c5TS7w

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Waffle House posted:

It looks like Bioware decided they needed to make a Twin Film of/competitor to Destiny after their lead writer left for Bungie.

That being said, it seems p good, I'm excited to see what they've come up with.

I'll likely not stop playing Destiny, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy both.

Is this the Volcano to Destiny's Dante's Peak or the Deep Impact to Armageddon? Or is it the Core?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Because Bioware functionally isn't the same company that made ME1/ME2/DA:O etc anymore.

They're just another dev. Still, looks interesting. :shrug:

I thought I read that this game was what the original Mass Effect team was working instead of Andromeda, or was that just marketing attempts to distance Anthem from Andromeda.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
God I hope this game is good. In theory it's a game that ticks all the boxes of poo poo I want . I mean I know they'll probably botch it all up but part of me is optimistic.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

They have been talking about this being a long term project since before it was deadly obvious Andromeda was a broken turd.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Just an ocean of garbage side quests. That's the only thing you can count on.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How could anyone be impressed by that incredibly fake trailer? I don't get it.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
im currently writing fanfic for my tumblr

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

im currently writing fanfic for my tumblr

Whoa, congratulations on getting that job at Bioware.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

How could anyone be impressed by that incredibly fake trailer? I don't get it.

Desperation.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Cythereal posted:

This isnt EA's game... bioware came up with and pitched this themselves.

If they remake the division but set in a world that looks like pandora from avatar & manage to drop enough story nuggets and a couple well designed missions then i'll probably get 30 odd hours of this. The biggest problem with games like this is that people expect to get 100 hours + out of it and will see it as being poo poo if it doesnt hold them for that long.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I thought I read that this game was what the original Mass Effect team was working instead of Andromeda, or was that just marketing attempts to distance Anthem from Andromeda.

This is what Bioware's Edmonton A-team was doing while the B-team in Montreal (iirc?) was making Andromeda. That, however, doesn't actually mean anything regarding whether this game shares personnel with the first two MEs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

That's a good reason I guess.

I feel old. Every time some new MMO is announced its advertising itself as some grind festival where you eternally chase after higher levels and better loot. Quests exist entirely to funnel you towards more grinding. The world is designed to accommodate your endless grinding. Its just so dreadfully boring, but apparently this is what people find fun now? The most fun I had in an MMO was Guild Wars where you could hit max level in your first few hours and then had to overcome combat challenges by developing better tactics rather than just coming back later with bigger numbers.

Now you've got these coop games copying the worst mechanics of MMOs because people like them so much.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This is what Bioware's Edmonton A-team was doing while the B-team in Montreal (iirc?) was making Andromeda.

It was less a B team and more an outsourcing farm taking advantage of tax breaks.

• Locked thread