Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
gently caress, when I saw the reveal trailer for this my first reaction was "this is a Destiny clone" and because I find absolutely nothing at all appealing about Destiny I guess I'm out for this one.

Only Bioware games I still look forward to since ME3 are their Dragon Age games. Inquisition was fun (though padde dout by needless filler poo poo) but I have an unnatural predisposition to liking anything that has elves and dwarves in it, so maybe Dragon Age is actually bad and they should stop making those too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

marshmallow creep posted:

I said this in the Mass Effect thread but it really is an impressively boring trailer.

Like I am totally down for all of its ideas and concepts in theory, but watching the trailer was the visual and auditory equivalent of chewing dry oatmeal.
I think it's the faux-game chat that does it for me. It's just so eye-rollingly awful. I don't think anyone at this point is honestly fooled in these things that actual people are playing. It might as well flash up a big subtitle BE EXCITED HERE!!!111 instead of actually showing something exciting.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

limited posted:

I think it's the faux-game chat that does it for me. It's just so eye-rollingly awful. I don't think anyone at this point is honestly fooled in these things that actual people are playing. It might as well flash up a big subtitle BE EXCITED HERE!!!111 instead of actually showing something exciting.

Agree, if it's anything similar to what happens on Destiny voice chat with my pals will be about saying how much EA sucks.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

limited posted:

I think it's the faux-game chat that does it for me. It's just so eye-rollingly awful.

So it's realistic online game chat?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Schubalts posted:

No, because there's zero ethnic slurs.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Schubalts posted:

If there isn't someone claiming that Alienware is the best thing ever and someone else getting angry at them then it's not realistic game chat.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

DancingShade posted:

If there isn't someone claiming that Alienware is the best thing ever and someone else getting angry at them then it's not realistic game chat.

I'd bang that Alien-ware :liara:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Honestly, maybe it was just the faux nature of the trailer, but eh.

Despite being claimed as an open world, as soon as they landed the whole area was super linear. The treeline on either side was too large to look like they could cross it, so they spent the entire trailer following a super linear path. Which raises serious questions as to how the game is built. Is it a "true" open world and this was just a E3 demo area they set up? Is it actually a series of landing zones you choose to land in, and they just dropped the UI for the whole landing zone system to make it look larger?

UI looks awful. When they do the AoE rocket attack it just looks janky and unpolished. I can't imagine a setup of what that guys screen looked like when he fired the mortar either. Again it could just be E3 mockups, but don't show your E3 mockups when they look that bad.

Enemies have no visual outlines. They blend in far too easily with the world around them. Maybe this is supposed to be Vietnam PTSD simulator 2018, but I kinda doubt that's what they are going for. In the Division the enemies are colorful and stand out against the stark backdrop. In Destiny the enemies are medium sized and stand out due to level design/placement. In the trailer I could barely make out the enemies even as they were swarming an area to attack. It wasn't until they used the lockon rocket did you really get a feel for how many people were there. If the world visuals compete that much with the enemy design, it's a problem.

Presumably no companions, no talk of a narrative though obviously it'll be there. No focus on the things Bioware is actually "good" at doing. That's worrying.

I realize this is an E3 trailer and they probably set up a linear zone to show off the game, but this game is coming out in a year, and has already been delayed several times/worked on for fiveish years. If they are still in the mockups for E3 phase, they have some serious problems ahead of them. They should already be able to show real ingame gameplay, real ingame quests, real ingame areas with no problems, because they should be nearing the point they finish up the core systems and start working on polish/presentation. So either we have a game that's NOT coming out in a year ( in which case what the gently caress have they been doing ), or this is actually a real ingame quest ( in which case what the gently caress have they been doing. ).

The worst thing I can say about this game is I can't actually imagine how it plays.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You guys are getting worked up huh?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

If there is one thing I have learned about the videogame community, it is that one single reveal video can generate forum threads upon threads and months worth of salt.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

AceOfFlames posted:

No, because there's zero ethnic slurs.

That, or, when the guy's like "I'm going to try out my new Blahblah MK II" the other player would begin complaining about how poo poo that weapon was and how they were going to gently caress up their pristine strat for running that instance.

Part of me gets excited about the prospect of playing the game shown in the demo, but for the game to provide that kind of experience it would need to be SP and Bioware would have to pull of some Westworld-grade poo poo. Bioware can barely craft palsied characters whose faces threaten to slide off the model during awkward sex scenes, so I doubt we're getting more than a sour dollop of turned vanilla yogurt: the game.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I only talk to my friends in a video game with the deepest of batman voices and as laconically as possible.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

I only talk to my friends in a video game with the deepest of batman voices and as laconically as possible.

I emit a constant low whine, like a leaky tire that was bullied in school.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well personally I hope this game is good. Seems a little derivative.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

mysterious frankie posted:

"Eeeeeeeeee"

"Yes take C."

Picks the wrong dialogue wheel option and does not get to have a fade to black sex scene with the only female blue aliens.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Well personally I hope this game is good. Seems a little derivative.

I respect that. However, bitching and moaning is more fun than living in hope.

halloweenjack
Aug 4, 2015
My feelings about this game vis-à-vis Andromeda is that it's like that Star Trek episode where Kirk gets split into two people; one's a rapist and a drunk, and the other one can't make decisions. BioWare took all the people who knew how to make a Mass Effect game and told them to make a Destiny clone, and told a bunch of other people to make a Mass Effect game, only really more like No Man's Sky, until they changed their minds about that. So they ended up with a Mass Effect game that, while decent enough, has characters that look like rear end (how they let a game go out that has literally every asari besides Peebee look like America's safety prom date--including the one voiced by Natalie "I'd pay $100 for a pint of her bath water" Dormer--is beyond me), while the veterans make a game that looks gorgeous but doesn't offer anything that I can't get by buying Borderlands for $5 on Steam. They could have together made something that would have kept the original franchise together, but nooooooooooo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The main thing that bugs me about loot shooters is how unfun they are if your friends aren't playing at the same pace. Take some time off and you become a drag on the group. I don't want to play a 5 hour raid ever and if you don't raid you can forget playing with a group that does.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Arglebargle III posted:

The main thing that bugs me about loot shooters is how unfun they are if your friends aren't playing at the same pace. Take some time off and you become a drag on the group. I don't want to play a 5 hour raid ever and if you don't raid you can forget playing with a group that does.

Agreed. A friend and I jumped back into the Division a few weekends back and he was about two levels of ahead of me, near cap, and I was basically made of paper and shooting spit-wads while trying to help him on his missions.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Arglebargle III posted:

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I can't wait to fly around as Bioware Sci-Fi Iron-Man.

...Although War Machine might be a more appropriate comparison.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

If this game doesn't have a robot voice effect, I'm not playing.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Dying is not an excuse to leave the project, Corey! :argh:

http://www.pcgamer.com/amp/bioware-veteran-corey-gaspur-lead-designer-on-anthem-has-died/

quote:

BioWare has announced that Corey Gaspur, a longtime designer at the studio whose credits include Mass Effect 2 and 3, and the upcoming online shooter Anthem, has died.

Gaspur was with BioWare for more than nine years, during which he worked as a gameplay/level designer on Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 2, and its DLC. He served as the lead combat designer on Mass Effect 3, and was working on Anthem as the lead gameplay designer.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Don't speak ill of the dead by mentioning that they worked on sonic chronicles

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Wow that's a pretty solid resume.

The mass Effect 3 combat was the only unquestionably solid part of that dumpster fire.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Accurate

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Has there been any other info on this game lately?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am sure Bioware is being smothered under a pillow as we speak.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I looked through some YouTube stuff and literally every single video is people speculating on the E3 footage and so I’m gonna say “No” and maybe word got out that Destiny 2 has low retention and the studio is rethinking their multiplayer space opera strategy.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
For all its flaws, I loving love the Division. Everything in it just clicks with me. Destiny 2, not so much.The shooting stuff is fine. It's everything else I don't like.

If Anthem is somewhere in between them, I think I'd be happy.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I got into Division for a bit but hadn't made it to level 25 before I got tired of it. I got into it again a bit later, but it was hard to stick to.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bust Rodd posted:

I looked through some YouTube stuff and literally every single video is people speculating on the E3 footage and so I’m gonna say “No” and maybe word got out that Destiny 2 has low retention and the studio is rethinking their multiplayer space opera strategy.

After how Andromeda went they're probably rushing to jam in all the story beats and assets they'd been planning on using for Andromeda 2 or Andromeda DLC

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It's almost a certainty that development on anthem has taken minor detours in the wake of Destiny 2, responding internally to what works and what doesn't. I'd be surprised if it's out earlier than late 2018.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

having just beat me:a, and having beat da:i like four times (i know) I'm now 100% sure I know what an:them has to offer. it's gonna be a bunch of big open zones, combat taken directly out of me:a, quest givers with full voiced acting, professional / sarcastic responses, and a small handful of missions that change the outcome of later missions.

if they do something like they did with SWTOR and give me eight bioware stories on top of all that, I'll buy it day one. But I honestly think they've forgotten how to MAKE bioware stories, and expect this to have a plot far thinner than andromeda. SWTOR is an ugly mix, an old school bioware game built on top of an old school MMO. Anthem is probably going to try and be a mix of both (well, a mix of an old school bioware game and a loot based shooter) and fail to be either.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm hoping that it's a mix of Diablo's loot and class builds and Destiny's action and gunplay. Basically The Division in space future time please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Digital Osmosis posted:

But I honestly think they've forgotten how to MAKE bioware stories, and expect this to have a plot far thinner than andromeda.

Impossible

• Locked thread