Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
Problem description: Just got a brand new Thinkpad, the trackpad mouse and trackpoint stick seem to be having issues. It worked just fine out of the box all day. Then I plugged in a wireless USB mouse, and the internal mice stopped working. I figured no big, must default to turning those off when an external is present. But then I unplugged the external, and the internal mice were still off. I verified they were inabled in windows and in the bios. Tried updating the driver both ways, uninstalled the devices and let them reinstall on reset, tried factory reset, nothing. Then the next day I did the whole uninstall/reset thing again and it worked. Functionality came back. For a day. Today it went out again and nothing I could do would get it to come back up.

I reached out to Lenovo, but their answer to everything is for me to ship them my laptop and have them hang onto it for a week to replace the internal mice. Which, I'm not sure is even the problem. So after I got off the phone with them, I reset again and after the old eternal "Getting Windows ready..." screen I did a hard boot and bam, the mouse is working again. I kinda want to cancel the help ticket with Lenovo, but I'd like to know what's causing this and how to make sure I can fix it faster next time.

Attempted fixes: Uninstall/reinstall drivers, checked every mouse setting in windows 10 and on the bios, tried manually downloading and installing the driver from the manufacturer, more updates and resets than I can count.

Recent changes: Since last factory reset, not really. Installed some of the basics (Google Chrome, Steam, VLC Media player).

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

System specs: Lenovo Thinkpad T47020HDCTO1WW. i7, 16 gb RAM.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread