Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

I'll give this a try. I've been eating a bunch of nachos lately so I'm not doing flips of any sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

PMush Perfect posted:

Didn't have enough pop?

Ugh, stop with the puns! Just shut that FILF-y mouth of yours.

... Ok, that one got away from me.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

EccoRaven posted:

So the thing with flipless mafia is that it requires people to actually put effort into posts so others can get a good feel for their tone - do they sound sincere, do they sound forthright, do they sound like they're hiding something.

There is going to be a learning curve, too, and that's alright! But you have to try is the thing. If you slack off and go an entire day or more without posting then we're in the dark.

So, even more so than most mafia games, "this player is lurking" is a really good reason to vote for someone.

As such: ##vote quid for lurking.

Yeah, but maybe cool it with the joke votes? It's four to hammer and it wouldn't be impossible for scum to jump on your two votes?

How many scum are in a 7 player game? 2?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Probably 2 scum. Phone posting for the time being. Will return to apply/respond to pressure. Also something must have went wrong, my PM just says "YOU WIN" in all caps. Hrmm.

Checks out, mine says "YOU LOSE" :nsacloud:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

That was supposed to be a sad cloud, fyi

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

EccoRaven posted:

See, low-quality posts like those are what'll kill the town and make this experiment even more of a farce than it already is.

I'm going to play the rookie card and ask is this just how you post? The whole "I'm taking the high ground and posting quality content" lofty snark would seem p. Scummy otherwise

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Quidthulhu posted:

CONTENT GAME

if you were magically given an item to bestow a 1shot cop ability on someone based on their posting thus far, who would it be and why??

Real talk pera, probably. You seem flippant and finger-pointy, Ecco uses too much Tumblr-Style Capitalization (what I pointed out before, the whole loftier than thou but), and everyone else is a nobody at this point.

If I had bestowed on me I'd use it on Ecco first, fyi

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Ecco or Quid. Tone, history and overall impression of both would make me want to clear them to avoid potential differences later if I was on the fence about either of them.

Wait, you'd give them the ability or you would want to investigate them?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Yeah, but maybe cool it with the joke votes? It's four to hammer and it wouldn't be impossible for scum to jump on your two votes?

How many scum are in a 7 player game? 2?

This interaction is the only thing I've seriously furrowed my brow over thus far.

As a person who does enjoy setup spec, I don't find that outright suspicious even if it has been demonstrated to be a scum tactic at emulating content. I'm more drawn to contagious harping on the joke votes so early.

You might be saying, "...but AA, weren't you complaining about not rushing the day?"

This is true. I was. However, AYCs remark comes 2 hours after game start when it was truly unlikely scum would hammer someone.

Ecco's reply towards me reinforces their previous stance on the notion, but when I expressed concern it was well into the day, and it was more for the point of securing a window of time to discuss. I'm not saying this makes AYC scum, but it certainly has made me think about it.

So yeah...

AA signing out!
[/quote]

Sorry, but no, this is suspect as poo poo. There's a difference of 5 hours between my "maybe watch the joke votes" and yours. Your argument would carry more weight if you said it closer to the deadline. As it is, 2 vs 6 hours is basically no difference. So you can't claim mine was scummy and yours wasn't. There's no flip, so no information comes from the lynch. Scum could easily hammer under some pretense.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

PMush Perfect posted:

Ecco scum!

AA has been pinging me a bit too. I hate to use the big fake-impressive words but they both strike me as a little performative? Like they want to be seen saying the words they're saying, rather than for their meaning.

I'd rather vote Ecco, though since it's been much more consistent from her.

This is also the feel I get from Ecco. Like just banging that drum right from the start.

Quid I've softened a bit on based on some of his recent posts, but I need to re read everything. I think AA has taken his spot on my list simply because that effort post was very "hey guys, everything is cool and these are just light observations only I'd straight up kill this person and that person".

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

EccoRaven posted:

I'm liking AA's gumption.

What does this even mean?

You've been absolutely running this show, and I won't argue that you've been posting content, but even you can agree that confirming that your own posts are good things is a waste of space. Of course you think your posts are good, they are your posts.

My personal take on picks for scum is you and AA, and I would like to hear from BK soon.

Also what have I been doing to make you not like me?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

EccoRaven posted:

I bring it up because if AYC votes me for this (terrible) case I'll be at -1, which is even more absurd.

You'll notice I'm not voting you. In fact I'm leaving strongly towards AA or BK right now. I'd lynch BK over you. You're just acting as the authority in this thread and I have problems with authority. :)

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

EccoRaven posted:

##unvote ##vote quid leaning more this way now.

What? Why?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

While Quids "why bother" is a proper concerning, eccos posts on this page are hugely suspect. Your "quality" binge for the first three pages followed by "I said my part I'm done"? And now pushing with a dismissive aloof tone? I think you're feeling a little heat and are trying to downshift how much you're in everyone's focus.

I think you're scum and I'm going to vote you when we get closer to deadline. I'd put you at -1 but I'd like to hear from BK first.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

I don't know why my phone went with "a proper" there. I meant "a little". But I think if quid can come up with a few more salient points he's less suspect in my book. I like his last couple posts.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

PMush Perfect posted:

So, I just got a call about a short term job tomorrow and I'm not gonna risk it on day 1 by phone posting. I'll be here for the rest of tonight, but when I drop my vote and go to bed, that'll be it for me on D1.

Congratulations!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

I'd rather Lynch a lurker than a poster. But sure. ##vote EccoRaven

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

##vote EccoRaven

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

I'll be honest. I hate eccos posting style. She (he?) comes off like a real rear end in a top hat. Which in and of itself isn't scummy, just off putting. What really gets me is this forcing of the narrative to put her above reproach through demeaning other people and posting a lot. poo poo talking everyone's points isn't necessarily quality posting. Maybe I'm being naive and that's just how ecco posts, but it rubs me the wrong way.

I'll read through her posts again and do a better job of reading through the assholery, but I haven't been impressed thus far.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Also Pera, I'm a Taurus, I like long walks on the beach with my wife (sorry ladies, I'm taken) and you could best describe my posting style as "desperately trying to be one of the cool kids"

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

I can't choose what my phone capitalizes or doesn't! It's a bad phone!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Lots of posts to digest but I'm going to bed. I'll hit it in the morning.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

##unvote

In light of some of these new posts I'm going to unvote. I'm at work and phone posting intermittently.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Some quick thoughts:

I like BK. Your posts seem reasonable and well thought. I liked the case on pera. Some of her posts on this page and lots of words with little content. I did not like pera's "let's dissect a pera-post". That post seemed a lot like a quick change scam to me.

Ecco, I think I probably focused too hard on the tone poo poo with you. Your posts on the first few pages did make me think you were scum, but you seemed to calm down on these last few pages.

Pmush is my new scum favorite. Drama with ecco aside, what I really don't like is the vote on ecco. I had been pushing real hard on ecco but on a reread check this out:

PMush Perfect posted:

I started early because my memory is crap, and I wanted to point out where my initial gutread came from, considering I had Ecco pegged almost from the word go.

Point taken, though. ##unvote

PMush Perfect posted:

It's customary to bold your vote. (And thank you!)

Meanwhile

"I'm AFK". Immediately harangues me for not being attached to the thread at the hip.

Hope we get some more content tonight, but if things stay about how they are now, I'll probably be dropping my vote on either Ecco or AA.

PMush Perfect posted:

Nope. You have officially passed the threshold into self-parody.

##vote EccoRaven

So pmush unvotes under the pretense of listening to reason, only to bandwagon onto my yelling about Ecco a few hours later. What this feels like to me it's that pmush wanted to leave that vote on ecco as long as they could, took it off when they felt pressure, and dropped it right back when there was an opportunity.

Plus this whole "I'm going to drop my vote and then sit on it" combined with the above leads me to think pmush is scum.

##vote pmush perfect

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Quidthulhu posted:

Yeah, I think pera might be scum. She's posting a whole lot of not saying anything.

Like she's posting so much non-content it makes me completely rescind that statement about Ecco.

In hindsight the post about wishing she and ecco were a scum team reads really disingenuous:

peramene posted:

This is Ecco. The snark is both typical and astonishingly brilliant. Fantastic liar, though.

This is exactly what you would say if we were scum and I love looking at it.

I don't believe Ecco - I'm reading your posts. Maybe Ecco is having a jokephase laugh at your expense (preview edit: apparently so - still) but as far as I can tell, there you are, here we are. hashtag eat poo poo quidnose

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

EccoRaven posted:

🎶 pera and quiddy, being best friends, together forever the scum never end, making bad cases one post at a time, pera and quiddy: two of a kind 🎶

Are you off pmush then? You were pushing pretty hard earlier.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

I do not think that both Ecco and Pmush are town. Based on pmush's claim, I see one of two options:

1. Pmush is telling the truth

This would paint Ecco's push on Quid as self-preservation, since I think that quid was scum based on the self-hammer. Ecco posting the oog chat log was extremely circumstantial evidence and a ploy to undermine pmush's claim. Eccos early "control of the narrative" was a tactic then to stay above reproach.

I don't buy this. I think Ecco is town based solely on her presenting the strongest case on Quid first. see this post: (minus the emote comment)

EccoRaven posted:

here's a case on quidnose.

1) at the start of the day I make a jokevote on Quidnose. Quid has bad feelings about pera's treatment of my vote, but he blames me for it rather than pera. He blurred the line of causation to position himself against me, which was weird.

2) Quid manufactured problems with my posting twice. The first is here; Quid seems to misunderstand a point I made against PMush by assuming words PMush neither said nor implied. He did it again here where he claimed his "on day 2 we can't vote right away!" comment was a helpful post to make 24 hours into day 1 and I was being hypocritical for deriding it.

Both of them are problematic because it shows Quidnose isn't trying to build logically sound cases against me; he feels the need to manufacture problems in my posts and use those problems to cast suspicion on me. This is what scum have to do; scum can't post "sincere" cases, any case a scum player makes is going to necessarily be artificial. A good scum case can hide it, but a bad scum case can't.

3) He's had weird posts elsewhere, like claiming pera is "definitely town" an hour into the game here. Nothing in his history stands out to me as "this is a post a townie would have made."

4) He used the allears emote, which is the second scummiest emote behind rolleyes. (This is semi-sincere, #1 and 2 are obviously the meat.)

I dunno I feel okay about it! It's where my vote is right now and I'm comfortable keeping it there for the time being.

2. Pmush is lying

See my bandwagon comment from D1. Pmush had pushed hard on Ecco but the case was flimsy, as was mine in retrospect when I pitched it. Otherwise pmush did not post other useful content beyond defense.

Now with this claim. I don't like the whole "more later" thing because it sets up this awkward period where we can talk in circles and give pmush a I chance to see which way the wind is blowing. Eccos log, while a little weird because it's oog, makes it unlikely in my eyes that the game has an abnormal setup. Ecco had been posting a lot of good points. This turn on pera is a little weird given that Ecco had strong feelings about pmush on D1, but I know that there was some vacillation there.

I think that unless pmush comes up with a really solid explanation, my vote isn't going to move.

##vote pmush

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

PMush Perfect posted:

Hi, don't have long, I had to grab a juice on my break since I didn't eat this morning.

Quick thoughts:
- I was too bushed to properly reread Quid after the self hammer, that's something I need to do tonight so let's please not end this day early.
- Genuinely hadn't considered that Ecco might be the target. Don't think it's likely, but I guess it's possible. More thoughts on this later, ask me tonight.
- If there's another scum, it might be pera? IDK, can't make the right words for why that bugs me right now, I'll figure it out later.

Love y'all, this game is fun even if I can only drive by post.

Phone posting! :argh:

Couldn't preview. But see? Pmush is full of it. I don't buy this post at all. Point 2 is exactly what I meant by seeing which way the wind was blowing.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

The way I see it is this. Pmush was, at the end of D1, a strong scum candidate after Quid, correct? I think that a kill on you would have raised a huge red flag and gotten mush nailed on D2. This claim allows pmush to divert attention onto you, which hopefully we all jump on and dunk you, and then nk someone else on N2. It basically buys time. I don't think pmush has acted very townie this game.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

EccoRaven posted:

that's fair, I see where you're coming from. I don't agree, but it's not a bad way to look at it.

What do you think about pera, esp. re:quid's treatment of her?

I've got lunch in about 25 min, I'll take a look then.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Ok, Quid mentions pera directly (I actually had to back and force my phone to lowercase that btw) six times:

Quidthulhu posted:

I think pera is most definitely town, everyone else I'm meh on. Probs not ayc.

Quidthulhu posted:

But then, Sara started to take you seriously for what was clearly a joke vote and commentary on my not being around when I am scum. That's a reasonable meta-read, but when the game was, what, 4 hours old at that point, it was ridiculous for Sara to be taking you with your point there as earnest. Yes, I easily could have jumped on Sara for that, and in retrospect discussing it, maybe I should take a harder look at if she's continued that sort of "following people around" pattern (I don't believe she has where I sit here now), but the issues for me were:

1. you were coming in as self-appointed thread leader & savior
2. people (sara) were accepting you in that role & taking what you said with earnest examination
3. if you were scum, which i had a gut worry you were, that was dangerous and needed to be called out.

Quidthulhu posted:

Actual Reads

Totally Town
Quidnose - it's me my role PM says town~

Probs Town
AYC - I think he's earnest and I haven't seen anything in his posting other than "trying to figure the game out". If he's scum he's playing the newbie card very well, but I don't see it right now.
PMush - I think her poo poo has been genuine, and although I'd like to see more from her, I think that combined with three people coming out hard against her makes it more likely she's town at this point (although there are also many people against Ecco, who I think is scum, so that's admittedly a weaker argument).
AA - I like his work

Neutral
BK - Not liking his incorrect case on me right now but I haven't seen enough from him to know anything yet.
pera - So here's the thing, pera was seeming really genuine to me at the beginning of the game but then I remembered she's the Liar Queen and with the few weird things people have pointed out, I dunno. I think it's gonna be hard for me to ever get an actual read on pera in a mafia game. She's acting kinda weird but she always cats kinda weird so :shrug:
Ecco - Everything in me is screaming SCUM SCUM SCUM SCUM SCUM but again, she's...being so WEIRD about it, doubling down on bad cases, coming out hard and aggressive...as PMush said, this seems really atypical, even for Ecco queen of the poopoo-elites....

No flips is gonna make this hard going forward :\

Quidthulhu posted:

Yeah, I think pera might be scum. She's posting a whole lot of not saying anything.

Like she's posting so much non-content it makes me completely rescind that statement about Ecco.

Quidthulhu posted:

I'd be happy to vote for pera, I think the two of you are scum together.

Quidthulhu posted:

In fact I already explained why I think pera might be scum, why are you demanding I make a second case

He self-hammers shortly thereafter. One could possibly infer that Quid started out giving town-cred to his scumbuddy, and then as he came under serious suspicion started to distance himself. Look at how fast that progression was. Totally town until about 5 hours before the self hammer. Then pera is possibly scum, probably​ scum, and then quid would vote for her.

This is all very suspicious. But I'd have to give a closer read to pera's posts and that's a little dense for lunch hour, so I'll hold off on serious judgement.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Or did he lightly buss you, ayc?

Sorry I'm not familiar with buss- is that what I'm implying he did to pera?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Or did he lightly buss you, ayc?

There were three people saying I pinged them. You, quid, and Ecco. Quid was just in that first post, Ecco for a bit, and you in your summary post. One, is hardly call that a setup, but two I would argue that my play this game has been pro town all the way.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Assuming that I picked up what bus meant contextually

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

EccoRaven posted:

you went after me for the first half of day 1 because you didn't like my tone, which isn't very pro-town. you've come around since then a bit.

Not to rely on the newbie card, but I'm still not very good at mafia online. I'm starting to figure out what makes a case vs no case.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

EccoRaven posted:

plus I can't grasp why PMush would claim jailor if she wasn't a jailor. Why not roleblocker, to prevent the extremely-obvious "maybe ecco was the target instead dum dum" response? Or just skip the middle-man and go with a cop claim?

It doesn't make sense.

Also voting for Pmush puts her at -2, which, if there's 2 scum left and it's not among AYC and BK, makes it prime for a quickhammer (and they can then kill PMush at night with impunity and win the game).

Please unvote.

Wait, I didn't parse your last paragraph. Who do you think scum would kill at night?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Pmush, you seem genuine in your last couple posts. I'll take a look at quids posts, but I'm still suspicious of you. Who's scum if not ecco?

Also ##unvote

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

That mess has more to do with me being incompetent than crafty. D1 I was flailing to make a good case and feel like I was contributing. I could only start to see big picture cases starting very late D1 and early D2. I missed the quid boat.

I still like pmush as my candidate but like I said, the last posts seem more genuine. You're wrong about me, but I'm not going to omgus you for it. I'll vote you if when I look at everyone's posts again you're still my number one pick.

As it stands, AA reads town to me. He's been probing for scum. I still like Ecco for town. Bottle Knight I need to read closer. pera's mania rings just scattered enough to be true on a re read- I feel like it'd be hard to craft that as scum. But there is the possible bus that I mentioned earlier. Pmush still reads scummy but the jailer claim is sounding still terrible but better. Eccos point about the why pmush would fake claim was a point I didn't really consider.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

I'm in the same boat. I'll be back at lunch time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

PMush Perfect posted:

Good morning! Busting rear end again today to make a good impression, but I got a quick break.

Still interested in this, don't like that AYC has ignored it, what, twice? Three times?

I have work and a kid. If pera can bounce I can too.

• Locked thread