Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yes thats very true, 40k almost has this "everything is overpowered" feel to it, my weedy little red marines seemed a bit underwhelming until at the end of the first game my buddy pointed out I hadn't took my +1 to wound rolls on charges, thats something I'll never forget now!

Then in our second game he brought his Dark Angels and just smited me into oblivion, that was a real lesson

When your collection is a bit bigger and you're more familiar with how, your Blood Angels will rip him apart and your blood angels psykers (which are awesome) will deny half his smites.

Then when you're comfortable with that you'll come across some other army for the first time that will do a load of their crazy bullshit which will catch you off guard. Just how it works until you've played games against every faction to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Kitchner posted:

When your collection is a bit bigger and you're more familiar with how, your Blood Angels will rip him apart and your blood angels psykers (which are awesome) will deny half his smites.

Then when you're comfortable with that you'll come across some other army for the first time that will do a load of their crazy bullshit which will catch you off guard. Just how it works until you've played games against every faction to be honest.

God I haven't even started learning Psykers yet, it was maybe a bit sneaky of my friend to Grey Knight me to death in my second game but I find it oddly satisfying to see how strong things can be and I basically asked him to destroy me when appropriate so I can understand how crazy it can get. In fairness he did let me drop in my Imperial Knight on the last turn to have a bit of fun :D I'm still at the stage where I have a good time just rolling the dice.

My buddy collect Orks, Deamons and Grey Knights and while he has a group that play quite often I feel like I'm pretty far away from being confident enough to play with these more experienced people. Every game is like an overload of information and as my friend said a lot of the early games are more about remembering what you forgot last time. Doesn't help that this was at the tail end of 8th that I started really learning but its all good fun.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
To be honest I found with new players it's best you don't switch your army at all when you play against them, because as we've all been discussing it's mostly about memorising stuff and the last thing you need is to try and remember what my three armies do while you're still learning your own.

Much better for you to play against the same army a few times times until you're remembering all the dice rolls and have a grasp on how all the rules work, then add on new stuff.

To be fair as well, Grey Knights will smite the poo poo out of anyone other than maybe Thousand Sons, so even with psykers you wouldn't have been able to stop him. They are tricky to play against though which is why you'll feel your guys were underwhelming. I hope he didn't use a Paladin bomb against you because that would be a bit brutal to use on a new player.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Kitchner posted:

To be honest I found with new players it's best you don't switch your army at all when you play against them, because as we've all been discussing it's mostly about memorising stuff and the last thing you need is to try and remember what my three armies do while you're still learning your own.

Much better for you to play against the same army a few times times until you're remembering all the dice rolls and have a grasp on how all the rules work, then add on new stuff.

To be fair as well, Grey Knights will smite the poo poo out of anyone other than maybe Thousand Sons, so even with psykers you wouldn't have been able to stop him. They are tricky to play against though which is why you'll feel your guys were underwhelming. I hope he didn't use a Paladin bomb against you because that would be a bit brutal to use on a new player.

Thats probably true but he's only really going to be using Orks and Grey Knights in our games and I'll be sticking to Blood Angels until I start my Necrons later this month ;) if nothing else I just wanted to see all the dudes models

He did specifically use a thing he called a Paladin Bomb but he also warned me it could be devastating and that he'd feel bad for using it. I did not feel bad for dropping in a 500 point Knight and smashing his Dreadknight

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Yeah that's a bit brutal if you ask me. Double Paladin bomb was a list that was a strong contender to win tournaments in 8th had covid not happened, dropping a list similar to that on a new player is a bit harsh.

The main thing is though that you're having fun, if you are then all is good, just make sure you don't get disheartened by losing or getting smashed or anything. That sounds like he used a mega tough list so unless you were also using a tournament blood angels list you would always going to struggle.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Wonder if White Scar Assault Termie bombs will become more attractive now that everything around them got more expensive while they stay the same.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Aw yeah man I'm still fascinated enough by the game that getting 8 smites rolled on me in a row, all on 5+s isn't going to crush my spirits as much as its going to fascinate me that its possible

I actually won the very first game we played, maybe because my opponent was going easy on me but also I got crazy good victory point cards but I am certainly still at the stage where its a fun activity with a friend rather than something I'm really trying to strategize at. I'm having fun doing dumb poo poo like deep striking 5 terminators to charge 10 gretchin or unloading a baal predators full arsenal into a single weirdboy just because Da Jump sounded so drat stupid :D

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Did Legion of the Damned get points in 9th or was that the price of becoming Legends?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

moths posted:

Did Legion of the Damned get points in 9th or was that the price of becoming Legends?

No legends stuff got points. I wouldn't hold my breath at seeing them again unless GW decides to revive them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Well crap. Ok thanks for the heads up.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Nothing beats that realisation i had of orks having a 6+ save and my normal guys having 3+ and understanding marines are hard as gently caress

Then getting shot 120 times with 6s being an extra hit and suddenly feeling my piddly rapid fire 2 bolters were rather underwhelming

I didn't realize my Genestealers get three attacks, I was happy enough to play them thinking it was just one.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Oh god dont get me started on number of attacks. Especially as a blood angel.

"Wait, this guy hits you 6 times and i can reroll ones" :cool:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

My first tournament (I think I did 2 ever) I forgot to deploy my Death Company in one match. It was already going to be a rough match against a 3rd edition Eldar army with a million starcannons, leaving Chaplain+rhino+ ~8 death co marines off the table did not help my eventual defeat.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Somberbrero posted:

I didn't realize my Genestealers get three attacks, I was happy enough to play them thinking it was just one.

Are regular Genestealers worth taking in GSC?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Somberbrero posted:

If you have enough of them in the same unit, they get four :unsmigghh:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Dawgstar posted:

I've never played with GSC, but they're effective for their points. If they get a charge off they usually make their investment. Their 5+ Ninja Invul save means that even if they get focused down, they eat a lot of shots. You really want to bring a Broodlord to hang out with them though.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Bought myself a model drill, tidying up the end of all my boltguns has been slightly tedious but man its amazing how much that tiny detail makes things pop

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

tangy yet delightful posted:

My first tournament (I think I did 2 ever) I forgot to deploy my Death Company in one match. It was already going to be a rough match against a 3rd edition Eldar army with a million starcannons, leaving Chaplain+rhino+ ~8 death co marines off the table did not help my eventual defeat.

Just say that you were playing on hard mode to make yourself feel better.

I played a game with my Grey Knights and forgot to teleport in a unit and it's the same sort of thing.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Dawgstar posted:

I've always found the GSC ones too expensive, they're not worth the equivalent points in acolytes.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Dawgstar posted:

There are a few benefits to them but no, generally Genestealers are not good. On paper they’re great but in practice they’re easy to plan for and wipe away. Some of the 9th changes help them but others completely nullify any benefit. Use those points for Acolytes if you want surprise melee or Aberrants if you want surprise melee and the sensation of intense sadness.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PierreTheMime posted:

There are a few benefits to them but no, generally Genestealers are not good. On paper they’re great but in practice they’re easy to plan for and wipe away. Some of the 9th changes help them but others completely nullify any benefit. Use those points for Acolytes if you want surprise melee or Aberrants if you want surprise melee and the sensation of intense sadness.

Yeah, I figured it would be best to just get more Acolytes, by which I mean more Rock Saws.

Now I'm sad thinking about Aberrants again. He just wanted to wrench a stop sign out of the ground and beat it about the head and shoulders of a Space Marine. Why does he have to cost so much? :negative:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So I'm thinking of doing up my incoming Indomitus box Marines as Carcharadons. Which chapter rules would suit them best? I think I'm leaning towards Blood Angels due to the whole "rip and tear" nature of both.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Floppychop posted:

So I'm thinking of doing up my incoming Indomitus box Marines as Carcharadons. Which chapter rules would suit them best? I think I'm leaning towards Blood Angels due to the whole "rip and tear" nature of both.

They are nominally Raven Guard successors, but obviously their regular chapter tactics wouldn't fit. Maybe go with the rippiest and teariest successor tactics?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Yvonmukluk posted:

Maybe go with the rippiest and teariest successor tactics?

Really instead should opt for the smoothest successor tactics...

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Was thinking of non Space Marine armies to get into and saw that Poxwalkers are out and Plague Marine futures are up which is cool cause I always liked Death Guard. Then I thought well I like the fluff but I really don't wanna stare at a puke green blob all the time then I came across this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/hqf2kh/mortarion_in_my_frozen_death_guard_theme/

So clearly I can just paint up DG as the Scourge instead

Eej fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 14, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Paint them neon pink and purple, gently caress it dude make anything whatever color you want

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Floppychop posted:

I think I'm leaning towards Blood Angels due to the whole "rip and tear" nature of both.

Didn't the Flesh Tearers get rules a while back?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

moths posted:

Didn't the Flesh Tearers get rules a while back?

They did, same as the Blood Angels but they swap the +1 for advance and charge rolls for an extra -1 AP on melee rolls of nat 6.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Eej posted:

I always liked Death Guard. Then I thought well I like the fluff but I really don't wanna stare at a puke green blob

For more Death Guard painted in colors other than green, I would encourage you to show only posts by Forums user Giant Ethicist in the painting thread.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

For more Death Guard painted in colors other than green, I would encourage you to show only posts by Forums user Giant Ethicist in the painting thread.

Oh heck yes

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
In 8th edition they did an errata that reserves like Eldar using the webway would not be allowed to come in till turn 2. Now we are moving to 9th edition the 8th edition errata on core rules are gone. In 9th it says that if you use the strategic reserves that they come in turn 2 or later, but other reserves like teleporting and webway are different. What do you guys tihnk, webway turn one or turn two?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Uziduke posted:

In 8th edition they did an errata that reserves like Eldar using the webway would not be allowed to come in till turn 2. Now we are moving to 9th edition the 8th edition errata on core rules are gone. In 9th it says that if you use the strategic reserves that they come in turn 2 or later, but other reserves like teleporting and webway are different. What do you guys tihnk, webway turn one or turn two?

I think there's a bunch of this stuff that will get added to FAQ and errata when they realise their mistake, but unless it's game breaking levels of stupid (like 1+ saves from a stormshield, crusade mechanics etc) I'd just play RAW but maybe say to your opponent in a friendly game "Look, in 8e this rule worked like this in the FAQ etc, but with 9e that isn't in the rules anymore so I'm not going play it rules as written if that's OK?".

If it's a tournament ask the TO before attending.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake

Kitchner posted:

I think there's a bunch of this stuff that will get added to FAQ and errata when they realise their mistake, but unless it's game breaking levels of stupid (like 1+ saves from a stormshield, crusade mechanics etc) I'd just play RAW but maybe say to your opponent in a friendly game "Look, in 8e this rule worked like this in the FAQ etc, but with 9e that isn't in the rules anymore so I'm not going play it rules as written if that's OK?".

If it's a tournament ask the TO before attending.

Makes sense, I am going to play a game tomorrow with 9th ed rules, so I was trying to see what others think. I asked the guy I am playing and he is just as clueless on what to do.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The turn 1 deep strike restriction (as well as the Battle Brothers rule and the Rule of Three) are in the matched play rule section, not in the core rules.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I just assembled and primed a daemon prince with claws but no wings added yet, which I'm priming separately. but before I glue them on, do winged princes seem like they'll be viable? I know they just got a lot more expensive

edit: here is my daemon boy! I had a hard time choosing which head to use. I'll probably get another kit of this and make an alternate one, it was a really easy one to assemble and very fun.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Arch is at it again, trying to organize pushback against the 'Warhammer is for Everyone' post.

https://twitter.com/Leaky_cheese/status/1283015756733612033

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I have no idea what he thinks an email is going to do, even from millions of people. There's no way GW would ever retract or apologise for their statement. It's just a PR stunt by whoever that is (I assume it's some alt right moron) and publicising his antics just draws the attention he's after in my view.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'd love for them to respond to this by extending an olive branch to Thomas Parrott.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Because straight up he is an awful person period.

Lets take warhammer out of the equation an what do we have? A person using vile racist language and espousing awdul racists thoughts, feelings, and statements. Not a person in his chat, he himself.

He excludes people as being people for arbitrary features of their person i.e skin color, heritage etc.

He is now mad that HE is excluded for his exclusions.

He feels he should not be excluded from a thing for arbitrary reasons such as his views.

Boom he is a racist, vile person being excluded from a thing that does not agree with him and he can't pull hia head around to think "maybe I am the problem" and instead decides then world is wrong.

So he thinks kicking up a fit to get attention will gain some "I was right gently caress you" and will suddenly be welcomed back on a red carpet to GW on their knees.

There is no logic . Its its all feelings which are impossible to argue with or bring logic too. I can imagine anyone here can think of any occasion they've been met with "Well I just don't feel you/it/thing is right/wrong" an then that is end of conversation.

He wants his old days back where being racist was ok and cool not getting that 40k was a satire of those thoughts and the lovely end result of a society run by them. They are for a fascist totalitarian regime bit only run by them.

TLDR He's a dumb racist rear end in a top hat no logic need apply.

Edit: Fat finger posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Youtube is also a villain here. They not only continue to host him, they actually promote his channel via automated features. After learning he existed from the thread, I've scrupulously avoided him. Nevertheless, by virtue of watching 40k videos (I assume) Youtube keeps trying to get me to watch his crap.