Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

FE doesn't really do a great job of telling anyone who much loot is "correct". I do know that trying to make a ship based on chargen Influence is pretty much impossible, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Our gang was able to do so pretty much by virtue of having five contributing characters and making a Hunk of Junk. It's a little 'telling' I think that the first real examples of NPC ships are 30+ influence, if you discount the fighter-sized pirate 'Shriek' at 20 influence.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, it feels like starting influence should maybe be fixed and divided by party size or something.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Yeah, the Hunk a Junk or whatever trait is the key to low level ships.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
EDIT: Somehow this double posted

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does FE have any rules for called shots? One thing that seems odd to me is that attribute damage is always dealt to a random attribute. Couldn't someone aim at a target's legs and, if they get a critical hit, apply their attribute damage to the target's Movement? If there's something about that in there I've totally missed it. It's also possible there's a good reason that isn't an option that I'm not getting.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Harrow posted:

Does FE have any rules for called shots? One thing that seems odd to me is that attribute damage is always dealt to a random attribute. Couldn't someone aim at a target's legs and, if they get a critical hit, apply their attribute damage to the target's Movement? If there's something about that in there I've totally missed it. It's also possible there's a good reason that isn't an option that I'm not getting.

The Analyse action lets you alter the Critical location of your next shot by +/-2. The example involves a player trying to hit a specific Attribute to make sure they drop the enemy, so I think that's the system's version of a called shot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PoultryGeist posted:

The Analyse action lets you alter the Critical location of your next shot by +/-2. The example involves a player trying to hit a specific Attribute to make sure they drop the enemy, so I think that's the system's version of a called shot.

Ahh yep, that'd do it. Thanks! That makes a lot more sense now.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Yeah, it's 100% analyze. While normally you'd be better off firing twice rather then just once with some leeway on IF you crit, there's a bunch of stuff to make one shot/round way better, such as the Plasma variant (which combos terrifyingly with a Rifle), or Overcharged Chamber mod. Granted, all this ends up lowering your range, so you'll need stuff to bring it back up and you'll want high Focus to be a true :synpa:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I suspect it's more valuable if an enemy's out of endurance so you know you'll crit, so you can target their weakest attribute and get it to 0 faster. But probably only then. Or maybe with a combat bow, where you already get bonus damage for using Analyze.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 12, 2017

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
One thing that doesn't get a huge amount of attention is how good a support character can actually be. At low levels you're probably just rolling with a tactical computer, throwing Lock On onto all your enemies (which in of itself is typically a +2 to hit). That's not a ton. As you level up though, you get more resources. Which means drones. And while drones do get shot down fairly easily, they can still bring the hurt. When your fire support computer gives +2 End to your allies, and you got four allies, that ain't a ton. When you got four allies and three drones, suddenly that makes a massive difference.

Or, in other words, a force multiplier requires enough force to BE multiplied. But once you DO get it...

Alternately, you grab the Hacker trait from Programming, and now you're a scourge to all robotic enemies, as critting a locked-on robot lets you decide who their next attack is against.

Basically, I guess my point is, Fragpires is real good at making sure most pulpy sci-fi character types are well represented.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

Fragpires is real good at making sure most pulpy sci-fi character types are well represented.

I want Wade Dyer to close the BackerKit so that the PDFs are well-represented in my mailbox

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I want him to wait about a week so I have the money to spare to upgrade to 3 physical books.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
If you message Wade on Kickstarter and let him know you want to playtest, he'll send you the PDFs ahead of locking down the Backerkit.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

homullus posted:

I want Wade Dyer to close the BackerKit so that the PDFs are well-represented in my mailbox

Thiiisssssssss

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
As a side note, there actually is a "Called Shot" trait under small arms, that's basically half-strength analyse (+1/-1) but hey, no action to set up and only on ROF 1 criticals.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I will note on a mechanical level the one thing that's really not represented is fast twitchy dodge characters.

Fragpires for better or worse is essentially a cover based shooter. +hit is far more common then +defense, which honestly half-way doesn't exist period. That means if you want your lightly armored guy in SPACE ROBES or whatever and two pistols...you're in trouble. Armour is king, defense is...not for chumps, but will never get high enough to base a character around. The only real "out" is that certain psionic combos can allow you to spend Fate to make ALL attacks against you Slow, and you pump up your armour vs Slow so stimulate everything suddenly moving in slow motion...Except again, that's armour, not defense, so you're still taking endurance damage. Dual Wielding exists; going full gunkata doesn't.

This does tend to hurt melee a lot more, since melee doesn't, uh, get cover, at least not usually. Which means if you're going for melee, you're either probably aiming for extreme armor and be a walking tank, or you're going heavily into stealth to make assassinations. Or, as mentioned, you're going Psionic, which is in of itself very, VERY trait heavy, and reliant on spending Fate.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

It's weirdly well set up to do _SWTOR_ as opposed to regular Star Wars, where your two pistol smuggler is constantly rolling from cover to cover, and your also two-gun toting bounty hunter instead relies on heavy armor and short term forcefields.

(And the close in melee smuggler/agent is built around stealth)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

unseenlibrarian posted:

It's weirdly well set up to do _SWTOR_ as opposed to regular Star Wars, where your two pistol smuggler is constantly rolling from cover to cover, and your also two-gun toting bounty hunter instead relies on heavy armor and short term forcefields.

(And the close in melee smuggler/agent is built around stealth)

To go down that rabbit hole: how would the force work?

Also, someone did a mass effect hack of Fragged Empire. It actually got somewhat officially endorsed.

You can find it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B301s0vxjPWCZ0E1RWh5bHYzTUk/view

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Covok posted:

Also, someone did a mass effect hack of Fragged Empire. It actually got somewhat officially endorsed.

You can find it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B301s0vxjPWCZ0E1RWh5bHYzTUk/view

Looked hoping to find "play a volus if you want to . . . be a biotic god"

It is in there. Along with getting to be Vorcha. Amazing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Covok posted:

Add some TK bullshit psi in talents.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
To be frank, you already CAN do TK stuff in-game, it just requires you take certain traits built around electro-gravity weapons. Just refluff the gauntlet. Or hell, just add the Electro-Gravity tag to Cunning Psionic weapon, and you're basically done.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hey, people who have played: how is this game with smaller player counts (2-3 players + GM)?

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Covok posted:

Just reading (admission: without having played the hack), the races seem like hot unbalanced garbage. They fling around tons of -4s and +3 with weird conditions not seen in FE (Geth get +2 to freaking everything if another Geth is nearby! It says right after that "You should never allow two PC geth" so why is this not an NPC-only trait?), half the races are extremely overpowered (Elcor are rippling armored doom machines) and half are crap (terrible sad Vorcha, Turians have a -4 to get gear in a system where -4 is a death sentence). And humans are D&D 3.X flavorless "adaptable! Can do anything!" cardboard.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Pieces of Peace posted:

Just reading (admission: without having played the hack), the races seem like hot unbalanced garbage. They fling around tons of -4s and +3 with weird conditions not seen in FE (Geth get +2 to freaking everything if another Geth is nearby! It says right after that "You should never allow two PC geth" so why is this not an NPC-only trait?), half the races are extremely overpowered (Elcor are rippling armored doom machines) and half are crap (terrible sad Vorcha, Turians have a -4 to get gear in a system where -4 is a death sentence). And humans are D&D 3.X flavorless "adaptable! Can do anything!" cardboard.

:shrug: This is the one the creator decided to endorse and pin in the subreddit. Guess he did it on basis of how much work the creator put into the layout.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pieces of Peace posted:

Vorcha are terrible and sad in ME too though

They're Mass Effect bullywugs

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Volus get "cost 1 resource items instead cost 14t to you".

That really doesn't seem like a good idea.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 16, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Lookng at the Fragged Effect,...Vanguard Charge costs a fate point to use? That seems like exactly the opposite of how it's employed in the source material.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010
I don't think this has come up yet; one other thing that I was super curious about was how the Archrons were organized politically. It can't have been everyone for themselves, because they'd never get anything done even with infinite resources to play with, therefore someone must have been in charge if only to resolve their constant arguments. We also know that the "God's Wrath" was an Archron ship commanded by a human during the early days of the Ursai, so presumably there were some humans in their command structure at least at the start. Does this mean that "Team Archron" agreed with their quest for genetic perfection, or were they just practicing a policy of hands-off when it came to their creations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm recruiting for a game in the style of Firefly or the "guns for hire in space", if you would. If you're interested, give it a look.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wade just posted this pic of the Kingdom races:

https://plus.google.com/+Fraggedempire/posts/dmZE4Y2mzrJ

I'm the dapper goblinoid with the monocle.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm the bird.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm the Legion who can't be bothered to wear a shirt.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I'm the not interested in Fragged Kingdom.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

homullus posted:

I'm the not interested in Fragged Kingdom.

:(

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I'm interested in the other two. "Fantasy, but this time we don't have elves!" has never been enough for me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Most of those No Elves Allowed games actually just have 6 kinds of Not-Elf.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Honestly I'd probably use Fragged Kingdom to do a Warlock in Spite of Himself pastiche and have the PCs be emissaries from Haven trying to figure out what's going on with this weird retrograde colony while keeping it low-key. Comedy option: Palantor PC keeps being told it's okay to take off their armor and join the rest at dinner and having to come up with more and more improbable excuses as to why they don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homullus posted:

I'm interested in the other two. "Fantasy, but this time we don't have elves!" has never been enough for me.

Fragged Kingdom has double elves because Kaltorans have four ears :eng101:

I haven't given it a read yet, but I think the main draw isn't so much the setting as what it mechanically supports, like holdings and mass combat. I suspect it wouldn't be that tough to convert it to another setting, or a homebrew one, just by shuffling around some racial traits or, hell, just renaming the races that are there.