Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ratoslov posted:

My theory is that the Corp were intended to be a recreation of humans, but instead they just made a bunch of genetically obnoxious jerks.

Mission accomplished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DemonMage posted:

These days I'm super into Blades, which is moderately crunchy but in a whole different way.

Assuming you mean Blades in the Dark, is there a thread? I've read it recently and have been thinking about running it for some friends, but would like to soak up more wisdom first.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maybe we weren't looking the right way (method, not direction)?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm not sure it's possible for a society or even large group to not have an economic model. Do you mean that they didn't have trade, or ownership/property rights, or something else? I'm not well-steeped in the lore, and this is interesting stuff.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I figured that windfall was to let the characters get established, not that it was a part of a pattern or a module design error. I've only read it and not played it, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, it feels like starting influence should maybe be fixed and divided by party size or something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Covok posted:

Running a Fragged Empire game, if anyone is interested.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831088

Wish I'd seen that earlier, I'm not sure I'll get a chance to get stuff together by 9 tonight.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ratoslov posted:

They might, but y'know, a species of greedy merchant types is a little more worrisome in a fantasy setting.

Hmm, why so? I think I believe that too, but I can’t put my finger on why!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Deep-rooted Jewish stereotypes, mostly. It isn't great.

Yeah, I just don’t know why that set of racial attributes bothers me more in fantasy than in other settings.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m re-skimming Fragged Empire over the holidays, and finally looking at the skill examples in more detail.

Wealth says that it requires a toolbox to do a number of things, one of which is calculate interest. Is this Wade’s statement about the state of modern financial literacy, or was multiplication lost to history?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I guess that’s possible, but I have a hard time reconciling “never learned about interest” with “own a spacecraft” or “sell trade goods”, and we expect all PCs to do those. Even if not, it seems like a wealth roll itself should suffice for that sort of fundamental task, and not require “financial software” as well. You don’t need tools to recommend an investment or fill out a loan form, both of which seem likely to involve knowing about interest.

(Interestingly, recommending an investment doesn’t require tools, but calculating the value of an investment does. I guess those aren’t very careful recommendations?)

I think there’s also a typo in the tool description, which likely should be “Bank Card or Financial Software” instead of and. It doesn’t make sense to also need financial software to buy something with a bank card.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I think toolkits are meant to be generic, like "if you have this toolkit, these items are the kinds of things you can assume you have."

Some of them use “or”, like Resolve’s “Icon of Ideology or Personal Heirloom”, while others use “and”, like Culture’s “Archaeology Tools & Encyclopedia”. I’m not sure what the difference is meant to be. The wording in the book is generally quite precise.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

grassy gnoll posted:

This also shouldn't be construed as dismissing your concerns, but there's going to be something about every fictional setting that sticks in somebody's craw, and at least with the FE setting, I feel like the weirdness and incongruities are meant to give you texture and challenge you to puzzle out how things came to be, instead of just being something the writer thought was nifty.

Yeah, I can see the value of the weirdness. Wealth is so central to things, though, that if racial backgrounds have a big impact on how characters interact with the economy, I would expect that to be called out somewhere more prominently. Kaltorans run businesses and sell things, though their -1 to Wealth means that they don’t do it very well I guess.

My perspective (for now!) is that PCs are worldly examples of their races, which is why they all have exceptional attributes and know how to use weapons and spacecraft systems. The game follows them because they’re unusually interesting and capable. It seems unheroic to be able to apply for a loan but not calculate interest, just because you left your Wealth kit’s financial software on the ship.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Harrow posted:

Yeah, the way I interpret it is just that the idea of this whole financial system is entirely foreign to the normal Kaltoran upbringing, so a Kaltoran would have a much steeper learning curve to get to the point of being, y'know, financially literate. The Kaltoran don't trade with money between themselves or really have any concept of financial markets, loans, banking, or anything like that, so a young Kaltoran entering the Corp economic world is basically starting from scratch.

Yeah, that’s interesting. So then it seems like “Wealth” is really “Corp Finance”, since a Wealthy Kaltoran would know how to set up barter networks, pull together collaborative resources for a project, adjudicate disputes of unfair trading, etc. I wonder why none of that stuff shows up in the skill matrix.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Honestly, that just sounds like having Culture and Conversation.

Well, sure. So does Wealth, if you’re a Corp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Has any enterprising soul written a “getting started” guide that’s easier to walk people through than the referencey main book?