Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

So... probably gonna grab all the PDFs through the kickstarter, and I'm looking through the intro rules right now. Any good podcasts to listen to about the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Hopefully going to try out the free sample adventure on the website with friends sometime. We're nearing the finish of a DnD campaign and I'm kinda getting sick of DnD/d20 systems.

Would not mind hearing from more folks who have used the system for a bit or have run some of the adventure books.

Yeah I've been diving into a few other systems and I've been looking for a sci-fi game that has combat rules that are a little heavier than the narrative systems I've been seeing, and F.E. is looking good for that. The rest of the system looks like stuff I'll really be able to get my players into, too. Humanity being dead is A+ material.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This link is dead and I would very much like to see the video described.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8YZVac5wtpGMKO_BqlH0Yg/featured

They've got a playlist for mechanics.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I thought a square was 2m

S.J.
May 19, 2008

And technically speaking we don't really know what exactly the various races were created for specifically or what the Archons vision of perfection for them was

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ratoslov posted:

My theory is that the Corp were intended to be a recreation of humans, but instead they just made a bunch of genetically obnoxious jerks.

'Instead'? Maybe they're a failure because they hit the mark too well :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Bard combat is objectively the best so that makes sense.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I just wish I could get the PDFs earlier than waiting for the backerkit to close.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

8one6 posted:

About that, are they just going to email the PDFs or will they be connecting them to like a drivethru account?

He sent out a backerkit survey already for that in case you haven't gotten one yet, he's emailing the PDFs to the email address of your choice.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah, there's only a few million of any of the given species populations, and one of them has numbers in the decline.

I think the implication in humanity is that despite all their great achievements, they just gave up on life. The reasons for that are for the GM or the players to figure out/decide on though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

homullus posted:

Were it a game I ran, the "human genetics failed!" would just be the stories that the Archons told everyone else, since they're obviously genetics-fixated. Something else happened.

No reason why that couldn't be the case! They leave it very open ended for you to explore.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah, messing around with genetics to the point where you understand how to create new life, but still refusing to do whatever it is you discovered to yourself, even if it means the death of your species? Kind of a big deal.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

As I recall, the Archons were made when humanity was already done for. It was basically the last thing they did.

Sure, but that's kind of the point. Do we even bother saving ourselves? Or do we just create a remnant legacy? They decided they'd rather go away. You get to explore the why, and that's cool as hell. For different groups of humans, that could be completely different reasons to explore. Especially for the Corp, who have extreme similarities to humanity.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 9, 2017

S.J.
May 19, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

fwiw I edited a bit more in.

Thanks, I wouldn't of seen that. Did the Archons/Xion actually create new genetic technologies that humanity hadn't? Or were they still working with the technology that humanity had left around? Certainly they were focused on that aspect of course, but the Archons could've been plopped into the middle of a bygone civilization with nothing more than basic concepts of their own creation and become obsessed with the idea, holding high opinions of themselves and the technology that had been used to create them, since they were the only remaining legacy of their creators.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I always kind of assumed that humanity "died out" in the same way the Neanderthals did.

That could be a neat twist, that humanity ended up 'creating' the archons by evolving into them

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Even opulently wealthy aristocrats need a way to count how much stuff they have, if not for resource allocation then for dick-waving purposes.

They were literally left with the end of human society's technology, which basically left them without want. But they probably never needed or wanted for anything, and they seemed to have been fairly coordinated in their genetic efforts, so it's just guesswork as to how something like that would operate, and there isn't a lot of first hand evidence of what individual Archons were like. But the 'as far as we know' part is important there, because the legacies that the Archons left the universe were most certainly not economic legacies. They did not create socio-economic theories that they imbued onto their creations, they just used them and/or disposed of them.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

And there certainly could have been some sort of economy of thought or genetic creation in the context of their society, but who knows what that might have looked like?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't really believe in post-scarcity; I'm sure that even if they were on a a GURPS TL12 level, someone was saying "Sorry, you have to wait until next week before we can send you one of the Star Forges."

But I get it, none of that means much to their slave races. Their economic system was something like "robot ships arrive and give us boxes of stuff, or not."

I don't think post-scarcity necessarily means that they could instantaneously have anything they wanted with no physical restrictions on time and space.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Harrow posted:

Ah, true, I suppose that's pretty much necessary to have out in the open with the Palantor around.

They're pretty rare, to be fair, and I doubt they're announcing to the galaxy out loud all the details of their past. Probably not common knowledge, but certainly possible that people know about it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

homullus posted:

I want Wade Dyer to close the BackerKit so that the PDFs are well-represented in my mailbox

Thiiisssssssss

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Duct Tape posted:

Cool. Regardless of the game itself, I hope this means I'll be able to get some official Fragged minis for cheaper than $25 a pop on them.

This was my first thought, too.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That doesn't sound difficult to implement, and also sounds awesome.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

I've been DMing Fragged Empire, but there hasn't been a ton of the tactical combat simply because my group enjoys vague freeform with skill rolls more. When it HAS come up, though, I find it can often start to get irritating when non-henchmen just don't go down. Last game they managed to crit drat near everywhere until finally actually killing the fucker. Anyone else having similar problems? And like, yes, the answer is "guys, you can aim!" but, well, players gonna be players (and use every action to attack no matter what).

I feel like this can swing either way kind of depending on what particular weapon loadouts the party is bringing with them, and is probably a bigger problem at lower experience levels just in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I haven't gotten to look at the PDFs too much in depth, but everything seems much more straight forward as far as readability is concerned this time around. I think separating some of the core stuff into two different books was good.