Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

homullus posted:

*The four starting character backgrounds are the genetic creations of the genetic creations (RIP) of humans (RIP). Humans died out because of lack of genetic diversity? That's ... weird, right? Are we to infer that miscegenation doomed humanity?

Based on the Palantor and the Mechanoids, it's more "Humanity hit a tech singularity and with so many people uploading their brains to the internet and lopping off bit to be robots they hit a point of population collapse where there weren't enough people with meat-bits to keep reproducing."

Of course my pet theory about the mechanoids is that the reason they went crazy and turned on the Archon is at least 70 percent humans being conditioned to think "Well, poo poo, army of killbots? Gonna turn on their creators" from millenia of bad sci-fi and that didn't stop just because they -are- the killbots.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I think it's probably cultural- you see at least one fiction piece where they're at least familiar with the idea of it. It's just that they view the archon as lovely parents (And Xion, for that matter, which is why they were open to working with the Nephilim.) and are basically going 'Well, if that's how family works, gently caress you, purple dad"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Sure is interesting that -after- humanity's supposedly died out without ever finding aliens, we've got energy beings everywhere. (And those are so far the only 'aliens' we know about)

I mean I'm not saying that the Faren and the All-being are the space ghosts of a branch of humanity that didn't upload themselves but instead did something like Sublimation from Iain Banks, but.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Not really- I mean, the Mechanoid thing might be a secret to some people, but on the other hand it's an explicit background option for a potential PC.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I want him to wait about a week so I have the money to spare to upgrade to 3 physical books.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

As a side note, there actually is a "Called Shot" trait under small arms, that's basically half-strength analyse (+1/-1) but hey, no action to set up and only on ROF 1 criticals.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

It's weirdly well set up to do _SWTOR_ as opposed to regular Star Wars, where your two pistol smuggler is constantly rolling from cover to cover, and your also two-gun toting bounty hunter instead relies on heavy armor and short term forcefields.

(And the close in melee smuggler/agent is built around stealth)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Lookng at the Fragged Effect,...Vanguard Charge costs a fate point to use? That seems like exactly the opposite of how it's employed in the source material.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Honestly I'd probably use Fragged Kingdom to do a Warlock in Spite of Himself pastiche and have the PCs be emissaries from Haven trying to figure out what's going on with this weird retrograde colony while keeping it low-key. Comedy option: Palantor PC keeps being told it's okay to take off their armor and join the rest at dinner and having to come up with more and more improbable excuses as to why they don't.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

My understanding was 'random planet, but set farther in the future than the default Fragged Empire timeline because 100 years is not really long enough for going complete retrograde medieval times unless it's deliberate.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I've been putting together a lot of "Space Country"/Space Trucker stuff ala the Rochard soundtrack and bits of Rebel Galaxy, since about half the games I've been in have been leaning hard on the Firefly angle.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 28, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

So looks like we've got a timeline for the FE: expanded PDFs going out to backers who didn't just sign up to playtest and for the backerkit lockdown: Early november. So if you want to upgrade, probably best to do it by the end of the month.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Not yet, I don't think. Just 'a week after backerkit closes'

If it's anything like the backerkit closure expect in the middle of the night US time, but hopefully with less random credit card declines.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 5, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Fragged Aeternum seems to have the strongest "What do we do with this" setting pitch of the three books so far, since by default you're part of the Tethered and do Tethered monster-hunter things.

Though yeah, a little more detail on the Natures would be nice to have.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I kind of want to play an actual Palantor in Fragged Kingdom who's got everyone convinced he's just a mysterious knight who never eats or sleeps or takes off his armor. Except if all the "Children of Pol" on the planet are mechanoids I imagine they'd zero in to eat him.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Looking at the Outfit rules for Fragged Seas it's really hard to resist the urge to kit out at least one PC as being naked but with a really impressive hat. (He'd have to be a wizard probably since no room for equipment with that outfit, but.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Cassa posted:

With Natures replacing Races in Aeternum, it would be nice to have some more about them.

So apparently this came up in the comments on the kickstarter, and Wade's response was that basically Natures could represent several different things and depending on your take different natures might all be viable for the same concept, so basically look at the mechanical benefits and reskin as you see fit. You could do a tethered who doesn't care whether they live or die and just wants to fight the biggest poo poo with apex predator -or- martyr, etc.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

No argument from me, just saying that's what his response was when asked point-blank about it.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I actually missed the no variations line, sadly.

It'd be easy enough to pencil it out though, because why -can't- you be naked but for a fancy hat?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Side note: Classic Races and Magic is now available for sale- it actually wasn't a backer reward, so if you want to play elves and dwarves in Fragged Kingdoms, well, it's just 3.50 USD.

It feels weird and wrong to have stats for humans in a Fragged * game, though intellectually I know they're a thing in Fragged Seas and Fragged Aeternum (They just don't use the race/species thing there as a distinction, so.)

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 13, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

What’s the magic in the Classic Races and Magic book? Is it a more traditional RPG magic system or more options for the one in Fragged Kingdoms?

It's an adaptation of the Fragged Kingdom one to be more traditional D&D style. Alchemy is split into magery and sorcery and all the weapons are tagged as natural. All-power user are reskinned as clerics, Ta-di shamans as summoners and druids as, well, druids.

There's new variations to do more traditional D&D style magic, as well as arcane utility items to do big rituals and minor spells.

An example of each:

Major Ritual: posted:

Spell, Hell Gate: Natural, One Use per Week, A gate to hell opens up and bad things come out. The more you spend (time, Trade
Goods, Skill Rolls, etc...) on this spell the larger and longer it stays open. 2KN, 1 resource.

Minor spell posted:

Friendship: Casting Time ten minutes, You gain +2 to your next social Skill Roll (does not Stack) Acquire: 12t.

Most minor spells either have a long casting time or work like the Fragged Kingdom magic where it still takes a skill use and a skilled mundane could get the same result with an equally good roll, just in a different way.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Well, Classic Races and Magic should probably do a bit to push stuff toward Shadowrun at least. All it's missing is trolls.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The rework in hacked is an optional rule; I think one or two of the sourcebooks use it as written and the other uses the default rules.

Henchmen have a high base defense and generally good armor because there run in packs and go down as soon as you do one point of attribute damage. A standard henchman group for facing starting PCs will either have 2 armor or one less resource of equipment. It's sort of like how a minion version of a monster in 4E would be higher level and have higher base defenses but only do flat damage and go down in one hit.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Fragged Aeternum gives henchmen more armor, but less defense than even the baseline henchmen in Empire, but it also has the Rush action, where you kill one henchman adjacent to you when you use it ,+1 per momentum you're willing to spend, presumably to encourage people to avoid hunkering down behind cover, but instead zip around the battlefield in their stylish greatcoats and tricorner hats stabbing things.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

It does provide guidelines- all other things being equal (Cover, existing attribute damage, etc) a henchman group or skilled opponent is equal to one PC, while a nemesis is equal to 3 PCs. Want an equal challenge for a group of five? One Henchman group, one skilled opponent, one nemesis, and use the statline adjustments appropriate to the PCs' resources. Or just 5 henchmen groups. Or 5 skilled opponents. Etc.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 14, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

One thing I'd definitely consider when building a high-armor Nemesis and my PCs don't have a lot of penetrating weapons is to give them a trait that reduces armor when they're at 0 end, of which there's several. Armor doesn't block End damage so other PCs can wear them down to 0 and then unload once they're more vulnerable.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

A terrible and sudden realization. With Fragged Seas+ Classic Races and Magic+ the core, you could -probably- hack together a Spelljammer game.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I pre-emptively label all my ideas terrible on the basis that someone will probably agree with me.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

No, no, just a system to run Spelljammer or Treasure Planet in.

Obvious hacks: Use the ship system from Fragged Seas, but give them Starship perks, including life support, etc.

This probably means using the Fragged Seas skills rules, too, because pirates in space still swash bucklers and so on.

Do the Fragged Kingdom Race+ Background in chargen with the classic races, which may mean tweaking the races to have the right skills, but.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 15, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I really do like how Kingdom handles the interaction of magic and skills: Which is to say, magic essentially just gives you an appropriately themed toolkit for relevant skill uses. Alchemists can make gold with the Stewardship (Wealth) Skill, Druids can navigate the wilderness by making the wilderness alter itself to lead them in the right direction, and enchanters can use persuasion to gently caress with people's senses. (The specific example in the book is, of course, to wave your hand and go "These aren't the druids you're looking for.")

There's also a sidebar that specifically says magic shouldn't be explicitly better than a non-magic use of the same school, assuming everything else being equal.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I mean yeah, but still.

But speaking from experience that's a pretty compressed timeline even for regular intergenerational trauma let alone weird genetically induced intergenerational trauma and actual physical changes.

I could have sworn it was mentioned somewhere that the blindness was due to a nephilim biological agent but no, it's apparently just a generational thing. Huh.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 2, 2018

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

So a surprise: Wade just released https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/236484/Fragged-Empire-ARMOURY a big book of pre-made weapons and outfits for folks who have trouble putting those together. It's got a lot of 0-1 cost gear, making it a little easier to grasp how to outfit first level PCs.

(Favorite running gag so far: Every entry larger than pistol seems to have an entry for 'Oni <weapon that is smaller.> So the puncture rifle has "Oni pistol", the auto-cannon has "Oni assault rifle" etc, which suggests the oni nephilim swarm chasing the Twi-far are...very big.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I had previously overlooked that fiction vignette and did not realize that those were legion it was fighting. That is definitely a sense of scale.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

So speaking of Fragged Aeternum and things to fight, looks like the first adventure for it has dropped.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/241649/FA-Adventure--Endless-Depths-Part-1

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Andrast posted:

Honestly, I just want more main setting stuff

Main-setting thing is also coming, though apparently Exploration archive's gone from just a general "Explore space" book to more a specific indepth look at a non-haven region of space book with some of the stuff that would have gone to a more general book slated for it. Which lets him also bring in stuff like the Oni Nephilim, etc.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

What I'm really hoping is that once the last Armory PDF is out and the barebones NPC statblocks book Wade's talked about happens, we get Fragged Empire and Fragged Seas: Shipyards with a bunch of pre-built ships for varying group sizes.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

So https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wadedyer/fragged-dieselpunk-mecha-rpg is out- a short term kickstarter for a new 50 page supplement for mecha rules and an attached setting that's basically "Stompy gas powered mechs meets alien conspiracy theories." game

It'll also add mech rules for Fragged Empire into the Fragged: Hack PDF.

(I am pulling for Twi-far mechs to just be giant glowy farens in vaguely humanoid shapes with their Twillinger host floating in the middle.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Turrets are a type of drone, so they have a minimum cost of 1 resource after all other considerations. (It's in the header for drones on page 104)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's a reason why the sourcebooks that expect more melee combat have momentum as a thing (And Aeternum has the Rush action to encourage running around the battlefield even more.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

So I just actually looked at the mech rules in Fragged Empire Hacked and the Twi-far mech build option is literally just 'You make your Faren emerge from your body as a giant energy being. surrounding you in a glowy aura and that's amazing.