Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I always kind of assumed that humanity "died out" in the same way the Neanderthals did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

ProfessorCirno posted:

far as we know the archons didn't use, uh, capitalism. Or any economic structure.

ProfessorCirno posted:

But beyond that...who would the Archons trade with? Remember, it was JUST THEM, and whatever species they created - and they were not created as equals. The Archons didn't trade with their creations. They lorded over them.
Even opulently wealthy aristocrats need a way to count how much stuff they have, if not for resource allocation then for dick-waving purposes.

quote:

Again, human technology left them with what may as well have been an infinite land of plenty. One that they happily shared with their favored species. Kaltoran and Ursai didn't want for anything, ever.
I haven't read every book in the line in detail, but I never got the impression that Kaltorans were living lives of luxury. I took it that the Archons valued them because they were genetically engineered to be blue-collar laborers and technicians, and were good at it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I don't really believe in post-scarcity; I'm sure that even if they were on a a GURPS TL12 level, someone was saying "Sorry, you have to wait until next week before we can send you one of the Star Forges."

But I get it, none of that means much to their slave races. Their economic system was something like "robot ships arrive and give us boxes of stuff, or not."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I'm the bird.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Most of those No Elves Allowed games actually just have 6 kinds of Not-Elf.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Mors Rattus posted:

In fairness, that's not the pitch except on the surface. It's not actually fantasy. All the 'magic' is either psi or tech the people don't understand, because Fragged Kingdom is literally 'the society of Fragged Empire collapsed, let's look at how this one planet driven back to iron age tech is doing.'
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any company that's tried the Dying Earth style fantasy after having established what the ancient, technologically advanced empire was actually like. I have high hopes for FK as a result.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Well, it's the same premise as Tekumel, which was the very first published RPG setting.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Are there any basic differences in the combat system between Empire and Kingdom/Aeternum? I've read that melee requires a specific build in FE, since its DNA is that of a cover-based shooter, but I assume Kingdom and Aeternum are going to have a lot more melee combat.