Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
im choking frkn laughing so hard

http://fortune.com/2017/08/08/immigration-worker-shortage-rotting-crops/

quote:

Vegetable prices may be going up soon, as a shortage of migrant workers is resulting in lost crops in California.

Farmers say they're having trouble hiring enough people to work during harvest season, causing some crops to rot before they can be picked. Already, the situation has triggered losses of more than $13 million in two California counties alone, according to NBC News.

The ongoing battle about U.S. immigration policies is blamed for the shortage. The vast majority of California's farm workers are foreign born, with many coming from Mexico. However, the PEW Research Center reports more Mexicans are leaving the U.S. than coming here.

To make the jobs more attractive, farmers are offering salaries above minimum wage, along with paid time off and 401(k) plans, but even that's not proving enough.

It's unclear exactly how widespread the labor shortage is for farmers throughout the country, which would have a bigger impact on prices consumers pay.

Ultimately, drought and flooding have a more significant impact on farms. Low oil prices could also offset any impact of the worker shortage.But for farmers, who have seen net farm income fall 50% since 2013, any lost income could be potentially devastating.

theres already a breitbart piece calling this fake news lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Dislike button posted:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/895647591169392640

wtf is this headline. and no i will not click through and rtfa

Jason Miller and A.J. Delgado on Wednesday confirmed the birth of their son, but the former campaign staffers to President Trump offered differing accounts of their relationship to a New York tabloid and on Twitter.

Miller, who was named White House communications director during the presidential transition — and who is married to another woman — confirmed the birth of son William to the New York Post, which reported that the child was the result of a campaign fling with Delgado. Miller told the tab that his wife has accepted the child.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

Monica Lewinsky is from Pittsburgh.

ah cmon quit screwin around

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

They're loving. All the Republicans are so high on Trump's win they're just going after the nearest hole.

All herons too.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

....whatever.

build that wall! Let it all tank. Let it.

Leave off m8, let them do it

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Who could have seen this coming except anyone who thought about it for even a second

peeonwe
Mar 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Dislike button posted:

its p lol aktually

jason millar was da coms director 4 da transition and he is married and fukked delgado who is a trump advizor and millar put a babee inside of delgados woom

so den millar wuz lik "my family is soooo happy bout this new babee" and delgado wuz lik "fukk no u said u was separated & its news 2 me that ur wife and kids r welcumin tha son u put in me" on twittar

and well lol

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

i dont get the whole avocado thing

they're just little slime balls that barely taste like anything

i dont even dislike them so much as i cant bring myself to care about them when theyre in something im eating

i know some people are into them for nutritional reasons, im just talking about, uh, culinarily

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

Monica Lewinsky is from Pittsburgh.

Pretty sure she's from Portland, although that city is often described as "the Pittsburg of the upper Willamette valley".

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Sir Tonk posted:

you should see their previous polls, they're very 👌

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ex post facho posted:

im choking frkn laughing so hard

http://fortune.com/2017/08/08/immigration-worker-shortage-rotting-crops/

theres already a breitbart piece calling this fake news lmfao

as if trump supporters eat vegetables other than ketchup and pizza

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

juche avocado posted:

how do you get blocked by an internet comedy twitter account

how did this happen to at least two of you

no idea

never once interacted with him aside from following, and I only occasionally use my twitter to yell at Duckworth and Durbin.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Who could have seen this coming except anyone who thought about it for even a second

imagine trying to explain the connection between these things to trumo

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
dont think of it as a wall

think of it as a lap band

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 374 days!
ive wanted to move to pittsburgh for a while and citizen tayne posts and an episode of diners drive ins and dives i saw where that spiky-haired smash mouth guy ate some really good looking corned beef have helped further push this desire

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

correct, Trump supporters have thought about it for 0 seconds because gently caress you, got mine.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
is mayo a vegetable if its made from vegetable oil :thunk:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I wonder what the actual rate at which you'll get unemployed people to be farm workers is? It looks like serious work. Maybe $25 an hour.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

tacodaemon posted:

i dont even dislike them so much as i cant bring myself to care about them when theyre in something im eating

i know some people are into them for nutritional reasons, im just talking about, uh, culinarily

its what happens when food goes memetic

its like doing the wave in the stadium, just that it sometimes takes a long time for the wave to finish and then you can move the gently caress on. Some people already did it, some people haven't so the avocado still goes on

people who already did it are bored and waitin for the wave to complete and are sick of it

i never did the wave for it but i will adhere to the shrek nuts because gently caress avocados and avocado shills

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Trump supporter: the food I buy in stores definitely will always be there because they've always been there, what's the big loving deal

Citizen Tayne
Aug 9, 2017

by zen death robot

tenderjerk posted:

ive wanted to move to pittsburgh for a while and citizen tayne posts and an episode of diners drive ins and dives i saw where that spiky-haired smash mouth guy ate some really good looking corned beef have helped further push this desire

I'm glad you're considering moving to Pittsburgh. If you have any questions about Pittsburgh, don't hesitate to ask.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

anime was right posted:

yes

tequila too, made from cacti

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

tacodaemon posted:

I like the flavor with like a chorizo and some spicy potatoes.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 374 days!

tacodaemon posted:

they have good unique nutritional value for fighting cancer and fat accumulation on your organs

brussels sprouts do pretty much the same thing and actually taste good but no one talks about them! :mad:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
holy poo poo thank you for that thread title

peeonwe
Mar 3, 2010

by zen death robot

anime was right posted:

its made wiff eggs 2 but eggplant so still vegetable imho

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

juche shrek nuts

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

my diet is basically tequila and vegetable lard, i dont get what im doing wrong

*continues to expand outwards at exponential rate*

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

michael pitt is from pittsburgh

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

mormonpartyboat posted:

Jason Miller and A.J. Delgado on Wednesday confirmed the birth of their son, but the former campaign staffers to President Trump offered differing accounts of their relationship to a New York tabloid and on Twitter.

Miller, who was named White House communications director during the presidential transition — and who is married to another woman — confirmed the birth of son William to the New York Post, which reported that the child was the result of a campaign fling with Delgado. Miller told the tab that his wife has accepted the child.

i, also, have accepted the child

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
the seeds are the tastiest part of the avocado

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

michael pare is from paris

peeonwe
Mar 3, 2010

by zen death robot

punchymcpunch posted:

michael pare is from paris

gay

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
has anyone said "pissburgh" yet

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

tenderjerk posted:

Pittsburgh is actually extremely good in spite of citizen tayne

Citizen Tayne
Aug 9, 2017

by zen death robot

alnilam posted:

Pittsburgh is actually extremely good in part because of citizen tayne

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Dislike button posted:

fox news has the better headline