Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Kasrkin posted:

I recently, as in five minutes ago, learned that you can fight all of the Memory bosses again, and you get additional Dialog from each Champion, its honestly kinda neat. did you know that?

Rivali having kind of an existential crisis, that nobody might even know him anymore.

poo poo, I'm going to have to pick this game up again.

I only did Rivali's and was halfway through the Urbosa challenges when I stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

The Bold Kobold posted:

poo poo, I'm going to have to pick this game up again.

I only did Rivali's and was halfway through the Urbosa challenges when I stopped.

Aaaaaand you can do it Multiple times for each of them, about five times? every time some new tidbit of dialog and a bit of characterisation

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
:psyduck: I never even thought to try and refight the memory bosses. I'm gonna have to see if I have my save with all the DLC completed so I can try that out.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

If you don't want to fight the bosses over and over, here's a video that collected all the dialogue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BmBmOAHLd8

I could never be bothered to do it ingame, honestly, but maybe I will one of these days. After you've seen them all, they just repeat, so it's not really something that's acknowledged for completionism.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

e.pilot posted:

I was out in the fields today harvesting Hylian wheat and straw.

Revali’s bale is now ready.

I had to take cover from a sudden storm.

Revali's hail was quite heavy.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Explopyro posted:

If you don't want to fight the bosses over and over, here's a video that collected all the dialogue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BmBmOAHLd8

I could never be bothered to do it ingame, honestly, but maybe I will one of these days. After you've seen them all, they just repeat, so it's not really something that's acknowledged for completionism.
I like how each Champion has a different take on their diary being available to read.

Urbosa wants you to share it with Zelda, since it mentions Zelda's mother. Daruk suggests you read it to help regain some memories. Revali claims it's lies written by someone else.

Mipha nearly threatens to kill you if you read hers. :allears:

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Shei-kun posted:

Mipha nearly threatens to kill you if you read hers. :allears:

And then her dad goes "It's right here, knock yourself out. She'd forgive you anything." Good job, dad.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Aithon posted:

And then her dad goes "It's right here, knock yourself out. She'd forgive you anything." Good job, dad.

I mean, he's not wrong.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The DLC ends on a couple of the game's highest notes.

The final update of the LP will be coming on Monday.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

ThornBrain posted:

I cannot stress enough how good the end of the DLC is. If you only watch one video and don't care about spoilers, watch this one.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Pretty sure the photographer is Purah. Also, yes that ending is so sweet and Daruk is seriously the best Champion bar none.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

This is a really good dungeon, even if it doesn't make a whole lot of sense really. The interpretation I like is that it's the engine of the bike, even if it doesn't actually behave anything like engines would; it's still a mechanical thing with cylinders. I do like the feeling that you're repairing and assembling the machine as you go, and the more progress you make the more parts start moving in sync.

The one thing about it that annoys me is that they seem to have forgotten to put scaling flags on the treasure chests here, so every weapon or item is worthless (first tier equipment for the Champions' races), even though you have to do this late in the game. Unless you specifically want them to use for making Champion weapons.

Maz Koshia is easily the most fun boss fight in the game, too. That alone made this DLC worth waiting for. (Also, you didn't show it but apparently you can distract him with bananas just like the Yiga, for some reason, and he'll pick them up and eat them.) You can refight him as much as you want after this too, if you go back to the dungeon and talk to him he'll offer you a rematch.

It's really cool to see how the Sheikah were capable of fighting in their prime, but I do think it raises some frustrating lore questions - so, the Sheikah monks were still alive, and not incapacitated by starvation and mummification? But they thought it was a better idea to dissolve themselves and give Link orbs to gradually strengthen him, instead of, say, taking on Ganon themselves? I'm pretty sure Ganon couldn't stand up to 120 or more monks with goddamn Guardian laser eyes and illusion powers and so on, and he's got a weakness to the Guardian/Ancient swords which we see him using. What did they need Link for, exactly? Despite enjoying most of the DLC content, I think the game's story is worse off for it and I have a hard time making myself think of this as canon.

I'm pretty sure that the "Snap!" line is meant to imply Purah took the picture, yeah. (Did they hire a painter to make the version Kass gives Link?)

I'll be sorry to see this LP end, it's been a fun ride and this is an excellent game.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The implication of the legend Impa tells Link is that the chosen hero and the princess are the only ones who can actually seal Ganon away. The guardians and the divine beasts are all just to get them past the hordes of monsters Ganon would unleash on his return.

Edit: There's also the possibility that everything was fated to happen the way it did, including Hyrule being wrecked.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 28, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Master Cycle is named after the Mario Kart bike for Link. Which is why I prefer to refer to it by the German name for that bike: Eponator.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

ThornBrain posted:

Rivali’s finale is now ready.

I’ll show myself the door.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
The ending of that video is sweet. But that "final divine beast"? I guess it would be appropriate for link? but it's still no loving gundam.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

I'm just waiting for next video, when Link shows pig-monster Ganon what a real hog is.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

They put the motorbike in for all those people who've been "ironically" saying Nintendo should make a Legend of Zelda in a futuristic sci-fi Hyrule.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
Anyone else think that Skippy's 'Nononononono' would make an excellent ringtone?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Happy birthday to me/Getting close to 30/Took us over a year but we're done with the LP :toot:

Thanks everyone for watching, and we'll see you in Twilight Princess HD and just about all of the portable Zeldas!

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Man, that mixed feeling you have once an LP you've been following for an entire year finally comes to an end.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I got on the ground floor of this LP and it has frequently been a highlight of my week. As much as I'm sad to see it go, I'm glad that it did indeed actually conclude instead of faultering out before the last episodes as many Lp's tend to do.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Happy birthday, Thorn.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I have actually gotten killed on the Dark Beast Ganon fight, when I was trying to do the straight-off-the-Plateau thing like you did in the alternate route. Interestingly, it respawns you at the beginning of that phase, so you don't have to do the first part again (which I was really grateful for in that run since it meant no more Blight boss rush).

It's interesting seeing Maz Koshia and Ganon back-to-back in these episodes, because Maz Koshia goes a long way to showing how boring Ganon is by comparison. It's not an awful fight, but it's dull. This isn't the worst ending, really, but a lot of it comes across to me as spectacle over substance and it's definitely one of the weaker points of this game.

That said, there is one thing you didn't show that I think is worth knowing - Urbosa's Fury goes through Ganon's shield and stuns him out of it. I cannot understate how useful that is in Master mode, when waiting for lasers (especially if you're like me and not great at timing them, and/or not great at timing flurry rush) too long means he'll go into regen mode.

The save file star actually does have a handful of effects - Ganon counts (a lot) for the enemy scaling system so the monsters will probably go up a few stages, and there is actually one sidequest-ish thing: if you talk to Kilton, he'll give you medals for having killed every Talus, every Hinox, and every Molduga (the game also displays which ones you've beaten or not, if you fight one that you've beaten before it will display "Defeated" with a star next to their health bar). The medals do nothing except take up space in your key items menu (also, fun fact, it's fixed now but when DLC1 came out you couldn't get the Talus/Hinox medals in Master mode, because it changed which types spawned but the quest didn't take that into account).

I agree with you that the story in this game is pretty lacklustre, and is probably its weakest point, but there's still a decent amount to appreciate there (I think they had some good ideas, just executed them badly to mediocre at best).

Thanks for a great LP, and happy birthday Thorn.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Excellent LP and job well done! Take a bow Thorn, you've earned it!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Rabidredneck posted:

Excellent LP and job well done! Take a bow Thorn, you've earned it!
Please do not give Thorn bows. Bows lead to bomb arrows.

Great LP, great game, and my only disappointment is that you didn't do sick wheelies around Boar Ganon on Vah Harley, but I assume you just aren't allowed to. You can't take it on the archery challenge either, right?

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
Thanks for Let's Playing this game! This was a blast to watch!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thank you for the great LP. It's hard to believe that it started this long ago.

I'm quite interested about how you think of Twilight Princess after having played BotW.

And yeah, for the next Zelda game Nintendo's going to make I wouldn't mind if it was more "traditional" in some sense. Focused on nicely themed dungeons, each of which gives you a cool weapon which you then use to beat the puzzles and boss in the rest of that dungeon. The dungeons and shrines all look 'samey' in BotW, they all have the generic Ancient theme.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Koko's speech pattern is, if memory serves, based on actual Japanese children who use specific Japanese pronouns, so yes, her mother died before teaching her to speak in first person.

Thanks for doing this, Thorn, and providing this gift of evil pork on your birthday.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Is it possible to use the Zero against Dark Beast Ganon?

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Dareon posted:

Koko's speech pattern is, if memory serves, based on actual Japanese children who use specific Japanese pronouns, so yes, her mother died before teaching her to speak in first person.

Thanks for doing this, Thorn, and providing this gift of evil pork on your birthday.

Pretty sure the thing is that 'watashi', the word for 'I', is hard to say for a kid.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
So, Maz Koshia aside (which made the DLC worth every cent), I think Ganon's phase 1 is my favorite fight in this game. Granted, that's a low bar--most of BotW's bosses are pretty garbage.

That being said, how can you get more effin' metal than fighting the embodiment of malice using Ganondorf Dragmire's empty skull as a head?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Twilight Princess was the first LP of Thorn's I watched as I initially skipped the three Bomberman LPs you had done by that point and watched them after TP so this out to be interesting. I'm especially curious if you're gonna try to bring Travis and Yoshi back for it since they were a big part of the early LPs.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

AweStriker posted:

Is it possible to use the Zero against Dark Beast Ganon?

You absolutely can! Of course, you have to abandon your poor horse to do it (but I'm pretty sure the horses are invincible during that fight anyway, so go wild).

It actually changes the fight a bit, I think it's trickier because unlike the horses, you have to hold down the accelerator to make the bike go (instead of periodic presses to encourage/spur the horse) and that makes it harder to aim the bow. I only have one thumb!

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
Happy birthday Thorn, ya old geezer! <--- older than you already
Been a heck of a ride, thanks for all the memories.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If we're talking about potential sequels to Breath of the Wild that absolutely must directly follow on from Breath of the Wild a game about rebuilding Hyrule isn't the worst of ideas. As mentioned Majora's Mask worked quite well as a sequel to Ocarina of Time, a game that also did not need a sequel, and showed that Ganon as the ultimate evil that must be defeated with the Triforce doesn't have to be the end goal of every Zelda game. I'd hesitate to speculate on any specifics but it certainly seems like there's plenty to get from that.

Anywho, great LP. Definitely looking forward to Twilight Princess, the one I never played or even watched someone play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Happy Belated Birthdays!

This was a good LP. Goodbye Ganon my old friend, I don't really want to see you again. I will enjoy the sound... Of silence.

:v:

• Locked thread