Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Not gonna lie, I despise the gyro controls for some of the later stuff, but it really is great for fine manipulation for long-distance bow shots, assuming you have a steady hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

There's a decent amount of map memorization involved with making sure you've got 'good' weapons if you're going for high-percentage runs, but it's not terrible, especially once you have a Divine Beast or two under your belt(depending on playstyle). Without getting into specifics, I actually really like the surprising variety of ways you can acquire non-trash-tier weapons.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

I, uh, got very good at countering Guardians. It absolutely is a good skill to develop. Also of note for later instances, Guardian shots are not instantaneous, meaning getting some distance often means being able to do the counter perfectly.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

I do like that, inside the first hour or two of play, you can reasonably have every basic tool you will need throughout the rest of the game. Once you're off the plateau, that's it. The literal entire game world is opened up to you, there is no place inaccessible or blocked off for later or requiring this, that, or the other key item to explore. You have everything you're gonna need.

EDIT: Which is not to say this game doesn't have other, more interesting and insidious ways of gating content, such as interesting puzzles or just monsters that'll kick your rear end eight ways from Sunday.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

I am now going to take this knowledge and teleport from one end of Hyrule to the other. Repeatedly.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Here's a fun one: Try bombing yourself by accident and the resultant shockwave throwing you from the plateau, the damage from that being what kills you.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Nalesh posted:

Gotta cool off after all that burning :v:

Speaking of burning, noticed a boko picking up a flaming weapon, then setting fire to himself somehow, never seen that before.

Reasonably certain he was touching/ran into something else on fire.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Actually, Cryonis was probably the least-used power for me as well.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

That has to be the best image for Alternate 1. It's everywhere I am in that game.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

I know it was only briefly shown, so I won't go into details, but I 100% agree that Lynels are harder than overworld bosses. That said, Lynels are also infinitely more satisfying to absolutely no-sell with perfect dodges, and if you can git gud and pull those off reliably, they're... Not too difficult to down.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Glazius posted:

They actually grabbed it this episode, out of that shrine of power.

Seems like the guardian weapons were actually more useful loot, though, but it makes sense. Only giant robot can cut giant robot.

This is demonstrably true, if you're good with parrying.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Fedule posted:

As far as I know, perfect parrying a laser will not damage a shield. Anything less than a perfect parry, though, will probably straight up break the shield.

Exactly this. It's the same as a Guardian, you can reflect a laser with a pot lid, but you have to be on-freaking-point or you(if you're early)/your shield(if you're late) will eat it.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Miz Kriss posted:

I've always been too scared to try and parry the lasers.

The trick is to hit the button just as you see the blue 'bloom' pre-firing, I've found. Unless you're really far off, then you can just track the laser.

pointlessone posted:

I haven't played this game at all (Holding out to justify getting a Switch) but just that spoilered name alone makes that place sound ~*Magical*~ and I can't wait til the LP gets there.

Magical is certainly one word for it. There are several others, few clean.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Bruceski posted:

It depends on distance, and the window is rather tight (but not as tight as one would think). Even better, on master mode they'll sometimes do a fakeout flash and then pause before firing.

Oh, that is just a dick move.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

When you ragdoll down a steep cliff and keep hitting stuff, I hear Homer Simpson's attempt to jump the Springfield Gorge in the back of my head.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Thank you. Yes. That. Now imagine that sound clip every time you go tumbling off a cliff.

Zoig posted:

Yeah, parrying the guardian lasers is very high risk/reward. On the one had doing it perfectly loses you nothing and does a ton of damage to a guardian (something like nearly half their health),
One-hit kill for stationary guardians, 1/3rd health for everything else. (If I'm not mistaken, the lasers do 500 damage, and non-stationary guardians have 1500)

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

MachuPikacchu posted:

Pretty much, yeah. And Tests of Strength reload after every Blood Moon, so you can stock up on Guardian weapons and Ancient Screws/Gears/etc.

This. Changes. Everything. Oh man, I am gonna get SO MANY parts and weapons!

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Section Z posted:

Please, please tell me there are hamster wheel and habitrail tube based puzzles in this DLC. The DLC which is as real in my heart as Santa Claus.

When you open the map, you can make him roll over and ask for tummy rubs.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Chimera-gui posted:

I don't know if this has been brought up but BotW is arguably the most DnD campaign friendly LoZ game.

Like you potentially have at least seven playable races (Hylians, Sheikah, Koroks, Gorons, Zora, Rito, and Gerudo). The fact that five of those seven have their own Champions implies that in a more MMORPG type game like World of Warcraft or Dragon Quest XX, at least those five would be playable.

Then you mechanics that would be in a MMO like the cooking system. I've heard folks describe playing BotW as being like playing DnD with a drunk GM.

Oh man, don't start talking about that or I'll get that homebrew itch again.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Nalesh posted:

Never play with couples, 90% of the time it ends like this poo poo.

QFT

Seriously, there are more stories of dead games that start with 'One of our players brought their significant other' than there are homebrew DnD races.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

SorataYuy posted:

Dead games? Hell, I've seen a married couple I knew in high school (him) and then college (both of them) that have killed a few groups before the group I'm currently with kicked him out because of his treatment of her.

I mean, that too. But shattered groups are less common than shattered games.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Also of note, now that we've fought one: The Lynel's charging attack has extremely generous dodge timing because it's basically in a constant 'attacking' state during it, so quite nearly any side-dodge during it(assuming you start close enough) is a valid perfect dodge. Compare against the sword swings, which have very specific and short 'attacking' frames.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Wow, I was kinda expecting parrying to be as rare as it is in Geop's Dark Souls LPs, great work Thorn.

While strictly not necessary, it's a lot more useful and useable than Dark Souls. And, as mentioned a couple of times, really the only economical way to take down a Guardian.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

>.> Not gonna lie, I legitimately have fun fighting Silver Lynels. The fact that they drop gems doesn't hurt. I mean, I know ultimately gems don't mean much, but... I dunno, shinies just tickle my lizard brain.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Can you walk away and go do poo poo elsewhere during the final fight?

Yes and no. You can flee the Blight Fights, and it'll reset them. But once you get to Ganon himself, you're stuck there.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

I like Prince Sidon, but I don't think he's the best. I think he's just a little overdone and, yeah, you see him about three or so too many times on the way to Zora's Domain.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

I actually really like all the racial designs for this game. They're all really on-point.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

NHO posted:

Can you make lightning strike on korok?

Yeah, just drop a metal weapon beside one during a thunderstorm.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

The same thing that happens to everything else! :rimshot:

Honestly, it probably just goes "Ouch!" and does the exact same animation as when Thorn drops a rock on its head. I'd imagine they're invulnerable and only have one "damage" animation programmed.

Pretty much, sadly. All NPCs are like that, excepting those who are programmed to be under attack by enemies.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

I don't think I need to say any more.

Lazy Bear fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 10, 2017

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Nalesh posted:

Try using an image host site that actually virus checks their uploads, that one doesn't so gets autoblocked by a lot of programs :v:

Fixed.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Kasrkin posted:

ah, sorry. i just saw i had a major Typo in my post, teaches me to write while tired as all Hell. also didn't specified, that i meant the Zora King. Sorry about the confusion.

what i meant was, if his Dialog changes if, you go there after clearing the other beasts and getting your memories back first

You need to speak to the king before the Mipha memory pops up.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Mipha's Grace is the best Champion ability you get, period. And also, Mipha's probably my favourite Champion, even with all her faults. She feels closer-tied to Link than any other character in the game in my opinion, and you get a really good image of what kind of person Link is through her.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

KieranWalker posted:

Well, she was his fiancee.

Well, no, she never actually proposed.

ousire posted:

And in my most recent playthrough I didn't do Zora's domain first, so I had something like eighty shock arrows by the time I arrived. They also had some special dialogue if you already had 20+ shock arrows by the time they ask you to collect them

So, in my first playthrough, Vah Ruta was my first Guardian, but I'd gotten so hilariously sidetracked by everything and its cousin beforehand that by the time I arrived I had the Master Sword(I don't consider this a spoiler because it's a LoZ game, of frelling course you're gonna get it), Hylian Shield, and probably about 60 or so shrines completed, so... I had a pretty good stock of shock arrows. Still went up and owned the Lynel, because by then they were kind of old hat for me.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Also, Thorn, I hope eventually you did do that other thing you can do with deer. Every time you kill one, I cry.

(OK I don't really cry and the other thing is ultimately pointless but it's still a cool thing!)

Wait, you can do that with deer? I didn't know that! I just knew you could do it with a certain other animal Thorn hasn't yet seen.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Finish up! We've seen Hylians and Zora and at least one Goron. What other races are hiding in this game?

Two more.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

White Coke posted:

The problem with creating fire-human hybrids is that then they'll all die shortly after having one kid.

The other problem is that the kids are all flaming. Y'know, not into breeding so much.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

... Oh my god that's amazing.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

I was so happy when you had a bear mount for that little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Zopotantor posted:

One of the stable kids (I want to say at Tabantha Bridge, but I'm not sure) explicitly confirms that Korok "seeds" are their droppings.

That... certainly explains the reward for finding all 900.

• Locked thread