Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode #4: Easy Puzzles Part 2 - with Krysmphoenix

We're finishing up the Easy Puzzles today, but stay tuned because there's still another episode in this recording session. Also, I realized that Fae and May are permanent parts of the LP so I decided to stop listing them as guests and instead put them down as hosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I have something to say which I considered ever since I watched the stream: I agree with this games physics!

That's totally how balloons would work in antigravity. The air around them is heavier than the balloon. So the air goes to the top. And then the balloon floats below this air. Since the air goes all the way to the bottom, the balloon gets pushed all the way down.

Of course that would sort of break, if the air can float into the antigravity area. In that case there would be circular air convection which keeps driving the air upwards. In that case the air stream would also pull the balloon upwards.

Also, I guess there would have to be an upper boundary for the antigravity. Otherwise all the air would flow all the way out of the atmosphere. And in the vacuum the balloon would still rise. But in this example there are ceilings, so it works out.

Anything I'm overlooking here? I'm just wondering, since May vehemently claimed that it wouldn't work this way. I'm a math nerd who likes to consider imaginary physics, which will probably never be possible.

But then again, technically, there is no long term solution to the Navier-Stokes-PDE. So nobody could possible prove that anything floats.
Fun fact: Airplanes fly on magic. Nobody knows how it works. They might fall down any minute.

Also cue balls always act as if you are looking at them from above. That's just an undisputable fact.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 25, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Speaking of the Prime games, do I remember right that y'all are taking a bit of a break after Prime 2 to do these other LPs, or did I miss the Prime 3 LP somewhere?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah we're taking a break. I'm thinking we might start it in August since it'll be the 10-year anniversary of Prime 3's release but we'll see what things look like by that point. Either way, I always post my new LPs in the New LPs thread and also pin my most recent new LP tweet to my Twitter profile if you're following me there. (@FP_zero)

As I mentioned, this LP wasn't originally planned to happen, so we do have other ideas in mind as "filler" between now and starting Prime 3. We'll see when or if we decide to do those.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Anything I'm overlooking here? I'm just wondering, since May vehemently claimed that it wouldn't work this way. I'm a math nerd who likes to consider imaginary physics, which will probably never be possible.

Nobody should think about this in the first place because sci-fi concepts don't have a "way" that they work.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Cheez posted:

Nobody should think about this in the first place because sci-fi concepts don't have a "way" that they work.
I disagree. Well written sci-fi is consistent. There are new things which might as well be magic, but they are still integrated into the real physics. Here it's pretty simple. Within the field, everything is accelerated at the regular rate, in the opposite direction. It's not important, how these things would work, But it''s important what they would do and what that would imply.

It's just a fun little thought experiment.
Also I can't accept the notion that one of the games of my childhood has weird physics, so I have to absolve it by convoluted reasoning.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 25, 2017

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
My point was that trying to say "that's not how it works" or "this is how it should work" as if the game was supposed to copy real life or some other kind of source is a wasted effort, because it's a fictional concept that's already got its own explanation.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Cheez posted:

My point was that trying to say "that's not how it works" or "this is how it should work" as if the game was supposed to copy real life or some other kind of source is a wasted effort, because it's a fictional concept that's already got its own explanation.
Weird mini-rant quarantined below:
Sure. Sci-fi does tend to be a bit weird with that, though, since it often tries to ground itself firmly in reality...or at least sometimes pretends to and obviously fails. It's one of the big shortcomings often called out in early sci-fi, which was loving rife with fascism, eugenics, pedophilia, misogyny, and other grossness all defending itself under a set of arguments that we would now probably recognize (and mock) as :biotruths: bullshit....And of course it can still kind of frustrating to see a writer obviously misunderstand a real-world concept even if you write it off as a conceit of the story, which even sci-fi that's not gross can have a problem with.

Again, you're right that not all fiction should be held up to the same standards or expectations as any other piece of fiction, but the terrible poo poo that occurs disproportionately in sci-fi writing is sort of a pet peeve of mine.

All of the above ranting beside, I don't think it's especially material how something as abstruse as 'anti-gravity' works, it should be allowed to be weird, it's anti-gravity. :v:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I loved this series of games as a kid! It's also where I first heard Promenade by Modest Mussorgsky :3:

Keep up the good work!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I was kind of expecting there to be a ghost in the corner with the dynamite, but I suppose that kind of hidden background is kind of beyond the technology level here.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode #5: Building our own Puzzles, Part 1 - with Krysmphoenix and a surprise Tyty.

I decided to return to the custom puzzle I started work on in Episode 2 and made it into a full contraption.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode #6: Medium Puzzles, Part 1

Beginning the Medium Puzzles today.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
For Medium 10 I was sitting there going "GEARS GEARS GEARS GEARS" to an empty house. Also it appears you just cut off in the middle of a puzzle while Fae was talking about Hildibrand?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It was the best place I could cut before the conversation switched into another topic for the next five minutes. It's awkward, I know, but I didn't really have a choice.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Regarding Sliders, the early episodes had John Rhys-Davies in it and those were more fun.

It was said that he left the show over "creative differences—specifically, he was creative and they were not."

Regarding contraptions, I've been playing along-ish, for the first time, and the Medium levels seem to be a pretty big difficulty spike. I spent an awful long time on Medium 7 getting those balloons stuck on the ceiling away from the hole.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Also, Sliders isn't a British thing; it ran for years on the Sci Fi channel.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode #7 - Medium Puzzles, Part 2

Fae decides to try and be nice to May for the rest of the stream but will she succeed?

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Earthbound came out in the U.S., Mother 3 is the one that never got localized.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Earthbound came out in the U.S., Mother 3 is the one that never got localized.

The question is whether or not it made it across the pond.

Speaking of background music though I don't think I've heard the hip hop one this entire LP but it's my favorite.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Video Game Fun Fact: Stack overflows/underflows are the best things in video games and are responsible for so many funny and/or useful glitches. Misplaced decimal points are probably second place.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

Video Game Fun Fact: Stack overflows/underflows are the best things in video games and are responsible for so many funny and/or useful glitches. Misplaced decimal points are probably second place.

Third place, of course, is forgetting to put a cap on negative speed values.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Or any cap on speed values. Due to how collision detection works in video games, if you can figure out how to go fast enough, you're basically the Flash. And this is pretty much universal throughout every video game ever made; some just don't let you build up the required speed.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Based on how it seems to behave, I strongly suspect that Reverse Bottle Adventure is a buffer underflow but not a stack over/underflow.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Commander Keene posted:

Or any cap on speed values. Due to how collision detection works in video games, if you can figure out how to go fast enough, you're basically the Flash. And this is pretty much universal throughout every video game ever made; some just don't let you build up the required speed.

I seem to recall that there were certain schools of thought about collision detection/collision handling that weren't entirely identical to the modern model almost everything uses, but I think they've largely gone the way of the voxel, which is to say, no one talks about them even though they still pop up from time to time in a modified form, they're usually more difficult to work with because they're processor-intensive or simply don't have a lot of example work to reference, and occasionally someone accidentally reinvents them even though they're definitely still around being used in subtle or hidden ways.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode #8: Medium Puzzles, Part 3 - with Krysmphoenix

Fae and May tell me about English food in great detail.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Sweet pickles and bread and butter pickles are different things

Not to say bread and butter pickles aren't sweet though.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 12, 2017

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Both are poo poo, though.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

CPColin posted:

Both are poo poo, though.

Sweet pickle relish is good in tuna salad. Not much else, though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
As a final medium puzzle that pinball's not so bad, but now I just worry Hard's going to be a bunch of fine-tuning bumper trajectories.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I brickwalled both instantly and literally on the next tier of puzzles.

Also, while it may have just been a tale told to ignorant colonials, I was told that bubble and squeak was so named from the sounds the pan made while you cooked it and scraped the oil around.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dill pickles are disgusting (as are all foods that taste of dill) and sweet spiced gherkins are fantastic. Fletchers is the best brand.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode #9: Building our own Puzzles, Part 2

To wrap up the session, we build another puzzle involving cats and baskets.

------------

So we haven't had the chance to record the next set of episodes which is why I'm spacing these ones out longer than I would've liked to. I should be able to record again starting Friday once I return back to my apartment. So the next stream will be happening soon.

Someone also brought up that while these custom puzzle episodes are good and all it might be more fun to try and take suggestions from the thread or stream chat one what sort of puzzle I should build. By now we've seen all of the building parts the game has to offer, so if you want to challenge me to use certain items in a puzzle, feel free to suggest something here in the thread and I'll choose an idea (or maybe more if they combine well) and make that as the next custom puzzle to end our session.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If you're taking suggestions for custom machines, I only have one wish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVdqwD_bcPs&t=73s

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FPzero posted:

Someone also brought up that while these custom puzzle episodes are good and all it might be more fun to try and take suggestions from the thread or stream chat one what sort of puzzle I should build. By now we've seen all of the building parts the game has to offer, so if you want to challenge me to use certain items in a puzzle, feel free to suggest something here in the thread and I'll choose an idea (or maybe more if they combine well) and make that as the next custom puzzle to end our session.
A puzzle that requires the use of as much dynamite as you can manage.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Tiggum posted:

A puzzle that requires the use of as much dynamite as you can manage.
Dynamite that has to be lit by fireworks. Or missiles. One of the two.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How do we submit our own puzzles and is there a time limit (I haven't even started yet)? :v:

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

Dynamite that has to be lit by fireworks. Or missiles. One of the two.

You saying he can't do both?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Poil posted:

How do we submit our own puzzles and is there a time limit (I haven't even started yet)? :v:

You can just upload them somewhere and link them in your post. To find the actual puzzle files, go to your install directory for the game (probably under "GOG Games" if you bought it from them), then "Return of TIM" then "Homemade" and it'll be in there with the label "Home000X.tim". I haven't set a time when I'll stop accepting submissions from people so just get them to me at your leisure. The LP will probably go on for another month or so unless we start having some real fun with custom content and extend it as a result.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I srewed up and made my puzzles in the Even More Contraptions version :downs: but they loaded up fine in the Return version and worked identically when I copied them over. Weird. But if it works I don't have to redo them.

After only a few hours of struggling I made three terrible puzzles, put them in a .zip file and uploaded to one of the first suggestions google gave me: https://ufile.io/3vmz7 . I named them failure1, failure2 and failure3 and the files are home0001.tim to home0003.tim.

Making good puzzles is really hard and the difficulty is pretty much impossible to determine. But hopefully they won't be the worst you've ever seen. :ohdear:

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Don't worry, I also have Even More Contraptions installed if they don't work for me in Returns for some reason. Thanks!

And since I just mentioned it, I'm not actually planning on playing Even More Contraptions for the LP despite it being basically just more puzzles. I'm playing through it on my own time and...the quality of puzzles feels a lot lower and experimental compared to the ones in this game. More of those "make sure you have the items at the exact right pixel location" puzzles like the pinball aquarium one in episode 8 and tons of "get the mouse/Mel to safety" ones that aren't that fun.

• Locked thread