Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Problem description: computer had been up for a while and decided to restart it. Rebooted, but got a BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO error.

Attempted fixes: Tried to follow online guide. Used built in troubleshooter in automatic repair, went into command line to use /FixMbr, tried booting into safe mode, tried to system reset. Nothing worked.

Recent changes: not that I'm aware of.

--

Operating system: windows 10 64 bit, upgraded from windows 7 during the free period

System specs: home built in 2012. Graphics card got updated last year. Possible that the hard drive may have died, although I didn't have any indications that it was failing and everything worked smoothly until minutes ago.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I think I'm just going to treat this as if the hard drive is dying and get a new SSD. Hard drive is due for a replacement anyway. I'll install windows into the SSD and recover what I can from the old drive. Anything vital is backed up.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Teddybear posted:

I think I'm just going to treat this as if the hard drive is dying and get a new SSD. Hard drive is due for a replacement anyway. I'll install windows into the SSD and recover what I can from the old drive. Anything vital is backed up.

Don't forget you have to install windows 7 first with the cd-key you got for that and then upgrade again to windows 10

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

creatine posted:

Don't forget you have to install windows 7 first with the cd-key you got for that and then upgrade again to windows 10

I don't know what that cd key is so this'll be a fun adventure! Woof.

Edit: where it is, I mean. I've moved twice since the build and it might've gotten lost.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Teddybear posted:

I don't know what that cd key is so this'll be a fun adventure! Woof.

Did you link to an outlook account? If so you can just use that and it should activate

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

creatine posted:

Did you link to an outlook account? If so you can just use that and it should activate

Microsoft account, yeah.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Got an SSD and a new HDD, installed them, gonna transfer what I can off of the old thing.

Although I did just get a KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED error, so that'll be the next, like, two hours.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

creatine posted:

Just FYI this isn't true. If you've activated on Windows 10 before, your system information will allow you to auto-activate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Just FYI this isn't true. If you've activated on Windows 10 before, your system information will allow you to auto-activate.

Ahh good to know. Last time I had to reinstall windows 10 it made me install 7 then upgrade

• Locked thread