Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
There are other ways to do it, too. The rules are: don't get too close to enemies (stay over 7km away) and your cloak will shut down "at some point" so you need to find a safe spot out of direct line of sight. The game, naturally, tells you none of these. If there was a countdown clock it would make eyeballing where you can go a LOT easier.

Edit: Wait, there's a countdown clock in the video? That's...the hell? I looked all over for anything like that.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Still, the whole stealth mission is something, which could been left out in a director's cut of the game.

While "stealth and detection" could be an interesting combat mechanic in this game, it doesn't really go anywhere besides Angelwing's magical "bucket with screws" stealth device and sassy officer (and some mild sneaking missions).

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Two pieces of advice for the next mission:
1) Remember to click the screwdriver icon for the Sparta. The Angelwing autorepairs, but the Brutus/Sparta need to spend RP to get hull damage patched up.
2) Make sure to take at least one, preferably two squads of scimitars. Without them the first part of the mission is essentially an Impossible Task.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
The Vorlons weren't nice, they were just much less openly dickish when compared to the Shadows. They were still dicks who meddled with the younger races in order to prove a point at the cost of countless lives. With the notable exception of Ambassador Kosh, anyway.

Also, I feel like this wasn't the mission that stopped me, since I recall a friendly fleet showing up at some point. Is there another stealth mission?

Polaron fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 15, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

What was the actual reason why the shadows and the vorlons were fighting anyway?

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

wiegieman posted:

What was the actual reason why the shadows and the vorlons were fighting anyway?

Different and competing ideologies.
"Who are you?"(Order - Vorlons) vs. "What do you want?" (Chaos - Shadows)

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Polaron posted:

With the notable exception of Ambassador Kosh, anyway.
And even Kosh wasn't that nice: the big difference was that unlike his fellow Vorlons he still cared about the younger races and respected what they could achieve.
The other Vorlons and the Shadows no longer did since they were too busy fighting their ideological war at all costs and that is why they failed at their one job.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

OutofSight posted:

Different and competing ideologies.
"Who are you?"(Order - Vorlons) vs. "What do you want?" (Chaos - Shadows)

Well, that's how it started out. By the time of the show it was Patronizing Fascism (Vorlons) vs Darwinistic Anarchy (Shadows).

This LP has actually gotten me back into a Babylon 5 rewatch because it's obvious the developers were heavily influenced by it. The Stiletto-class ships may well have come straight from Earth Alliance R&D. Well, if you put a few more nuke launchers on there, anyway. :v:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Polaron posted:

Well, that's how it started out. By the time of the show it was Patronizing Fascism (Vorlons) vs Darwinistic Anarchy (Shadows).

This LP has actually gotten me back into a Babylon 5 rewatch because it's obvious the developers were heavily influenced by it. The Stiletto-class ships may well have come straight from Earth Alliance R&D. Well, if you put a few more nuke launchers on there, anyway. :v:

Not a bad thing. Even NASA hit up the show's creative dept for some ship ideas. "Drive core on a stick with rotating habitat" is a pretty solid design, and the hella-maneuverable star furies just looked fun.

Vorlons were more "support and nurture" vs the Shadows' "growth through adversity and challenge" though yeah--by the end there they were pretty degenerate versions of those ideals, and if Sheridan didn't Angry Voice them into leaving, between them they would have blown up every populated planet in the galaxy to settle the score.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Polaron posted:

I don't know if could imagine Mr. Morden as an anarchist today. His selling pitches could have been amazing in a "Head and Shoulders" shampoo advertisment. Or think bigger bigger: Apple or Google product placement. Would have solved the show's money problems quite nicely.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
For some reason I never had any problems with stealthy poo poo in this Game. But boy, whenever there was any major shooting to be done, I tended to royally gently caress it up. Sometimes two times in a row. :shepface:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

OutofSight posted:

I don't know if could imagine Mr. Morden as an anarchist today. His selling pitches could have been amazing in a "Head and Shoulders" shampoo advertisment. Or think bigger bigger: Apple or Google product placement. Would have solved the show's money problems quite nicely.

Funny note. Ed Wasser, the actor who played MEEEESTAR MORRDEN, once appeared on Ripley's Believe It or Not TV show because his son was a skateboarding prodigy at, like, three. It was deeply, deeply strange to see him sitting happily next to his wife gushing about his son skateboarding.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Libluini posted:

For some reason I never had any problems with stealthy poo poo in this Game. But boy, whenever there was any major shooting to be done, I tended to royally gently caress it up. Sometimes two times in a row. :shepface:

The next mission is the worst of the stealth missions. I got stuck on both beginner and Medium there

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

The next mission is the worst of the stealth missions. I got stuck on both beginner and Medium there

I figured out how to cheese this mission:

If you get one gunship and two marines detachments and some savescumming, you can disable the plot device and one other device on the target, also you can launch fighters and stuff while cloaked

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

SugarAddict posted:

I figured out how to cheese this mission:

If you get one gunship and two marines detachments and some savescumming, you can disable the plot device and one other device on the target, also you can launch fighters and stuff while cloaked

That's not cheesing it. That's the only sane way to do the mission...but I'll wait for Herp's update to discuss further.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I tended to use manual navigation almost all the time, and that seemed to make the stealth slightly easier. I felt at least these missions were okay, since you have a fairly good idea what the failure state is, and that it is in theory avoidable.

As opposed to playing some of the other missions on Pro level. I tried firing this up after watching the LP for a bit and then remembered why I'm ambivalent about the game: In the OSEC mission, Marcus's ship dies about 2 seconds after you can get into range, even with max engine thrust.

OAquinas posted:

Between that diary and the next mission dialogue, Cromwell definitely has a bit of a chauvinist streak in him. Probably more of a sign of "this game was written in 2003" than anything else.

I think it's because he's modeled at least partly on Captain Kirk. The name 'Daryl Sanderson' strikes me as odd, because it seems like a really weird Newhart reference (William Sanderson played Larry, who memorably had two brothers both named Darryl).

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

While I'm rendering the video, I noticed a youtube comment on my previous video stating this:

Zaniwoob posted:

"Hey, you know you can capture ships?

I'd assumed this was a feature only in multiplayer and skirmish modes, I'd seen it used in the Star Wars mod. But then they commented again:

Zaniwoob posted:

Right after you enter te wormhole the Shukenja Beta mission is the first mission where you can capture a ship.I was actually able to capture the carrier(!) in this mission. But its very very hard. You need your marines and rush towards it and before the mission ends, force the crew to evacuate. After that enter with marines and keep em on board when the mission ends. The engines must be in working state. To be honest I found this feature only much later in the campaign by accident. Being a meticulous player I went back to earlier missions and found that the Shukenja Beta mission was the first mission you were able to do that. Being such a hard mission though its not obvious or easy for a first time capture. Its probably best to try and practice on a later mission like the follow up mission. Once you get te knack of it, you probably have to go back to te mission before the wormhole event, because it becomes very important to get the right load-out, with as much marines you can have, plus the heavy torpedoes to maximize hull damage in the shortest amount of time.

The funny thing is, nobody knows this, it isn't mentioned in any walk-trough i could find, nor any play-trough vids online. So try it, please it will make your game really interesting and valuable for other players.

After this the game will become a whole different game. actually gathering a whole fleet, with lots of commanders, specializing one ship (with the scientist) as a scanner-ship. The whole load-out part of te game will much more sense now. Cheers!

Needless to say, this prospect entices me greatly. Here's how to do it:

Zaniwoob posted:

To come to think of it the game hints at this possibility when you capture the angelwing for the first time, but it does so automatically. For this to work you need :

1) Cause the target ship to evacuate its crew. You have a very narrow window of opportunity before you destroy the ship completely. So as soon as you hear the sign crew evacuating cease with the hull weapons.

2) Enter with your Marines and keep them on board of the target ship when the mission ends

3) As I remember correctly the IP engines need to be working order so not in the red. Most ships regenerate so if you have enough time and it is in the red, it's okay because it will regenerate. As long you have enough time.

4) Because this is the hidden(unwritten) objective of every mission in this game and and the mission ends when you achieve the written goals you have to stall as much as you can.

5) After you capture your first ship (the carrier possibly another ship, so you have to have two units Marines on board).You can specialize your angelwing as a device destroying ship. While the other ships focus on shields and hull. The process will be greatly simplified when you are able to knock out the flak modules, so that your fighters later on gunships are able to take out the weapons. So you can take the time to easily destroy the hulls and get your Marines on board.

This is loving genius and if it's true that a mechanic has been so thoroughly hidden in the game for so long, and none of the walkthroughs even mention it, it kinda explains things like the level up mechanic and commander stats. I'll be doing a stream within the next week, details closer to the date of the stream, going through missions from Shukenja Beta onwards trying to capture as many ships as possible. Do try it in your own playthroughs!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

:aaaaa:

That's amazing if true. It'd also break the game tremendously if you're able to amass an armada--these missions are "balanced" on "experienced" for the angelwing and the support ships Noah gives you. I mean, you could conceivably get a Gorg heavy battleship really early on if true.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I always felt like there were some mechanics I never quite understood.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Titan - Part 13

Personal Log of Marcus Cromwell - 07/09/2112 posted:

Increase the light! No... too much! Take it back...yes, that's better. And I want music... no, no, wait... listen... there's a file somewhere... Theravardan Meditation for beginners... it's all beta waves, or delta or... something like that... right, that's the one. At last...

Well, I don't know what to say. There's a therapy subroutine in my terminal - it's designed for emergencies like this, but in the state I'm in I'll probably end up punching a hole through the viewscreen... this is just something I'll have to work out for myself. Let's see... Likely cause of stress: Miss Sweetwater... oh, sorry, I mean Commander Sweetwater! I hereby apologize to Daryl Sanderson, for calling her a nightmare...Daryl is a pleasant, flexible, courteous and astonishingly amiable woman... compared to Sweetwater, that is. Sweetwater is a harridan, a sociopathic harpy, an irresponsible, man-hating b-... Okay, okay... I think that's enough therapy for one day. I'm curious to know what I did to deserve such a, a... woman aboard my ship. drat - the least she could do is be less pretty. She gets me so riled I could blast her out of the airlock, then she looks at me with those astonishing eyes and... hmmph! She's extremely competent - I have to give her that. I don't think there are any other humans who can make an entire ship disappear... meaning she's indispensible, so however infuriating she gets, it looks like I'm stuck with her. I admire her, despite myself. She knows we need her, and she never gives away any more than she has to - just like her friends, the Ghosts, our deep scouts. They're mysterious, evasive... but at least I don't have to argue with them in the middle of a firefight! As if I didn't have enough enemies to butt heads with, now I have to fight my allies, too!

Personal Log of Marcus Cromwell - 12/09/2112 posted:

I have many decisions to make, but by far the most important is this: who is annoying me more, Rear Admiral Norbank, who threatens the entire human race with his rampant egotism and constant blunders, or my constant companion, the highly educated Commander Sweetwater... if I get stuck with one more of these borderline sociopaths, I'm going to throw myself to the Entity and be done with it. It's fortunate that Central Command has more than just rhinos... my promotion has come at the best time possible. As a Quick Reaction Task Force, we can move more freely... I hope that from now on we can pay more attention to Earth's plight. Naturally, this new task comes with a catch. Since the Angelwing is the only ship that is perfectly compatible with the ghost camouflage technology, we've received Commander Sweetwater as a permanent crew member. Such a great honour! At first I was furious, after that I started laughing... now, I'm starting to panic. I can't be falling for her... can I? Dear God, please no... Well, she surprised me when she handed the Ghost report about the dead mechanoid, without forwarding it to Norbank. We'll fly out and Central Command will be none the wiser... This segued nicely with my plans, so I didn't complain... I like to kid myself I'm still in control, but a casual observer could be forgiven for thinking that those two women are calling all the shots."

David Cole, Captain.

He did not talk until he was 5 years old. Examinations revealed no organic reason for his silence. He was considered autistic, mute, or possibly emotionally stunted.

He was a reserved, disciplined child, who had always demonstrated a serious interest in weapons. His father was a navy officer, and encouraged his child's fascination with technology, hoping to bring him out of his shell. His efforts bore fruit, he was talking on the telecom one day with a fellow officer about a weapon that is going to be introduced soon, when young David marched in and announced: 'Dad! The DK626 energy cells are too weak for the Diamond Spider! The neutron accelerators and thermo regulators sap a lot of energy, so you should use at least DK912 cells - my guess is they're going to settle with the new XL1000S.'

Eventually, David Cole became a navy officer. His crew learned to interpret his short orders and know only to ask him about weapons if they have at least ten minutes to listen to his answer.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 22, 2017

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Just tried this several times. Unless there's an additional trick to this, it doesn't work in the SP campaign.

Was plinging away with a single gatling, ceased fire when "target ship is being evacuated" mentioned, sent commandos. Engines and IP drive online at end of mission, didn't show up in the next one.

Edit: also found why I didn't see the cloak timer. Apparently it disappears if you hit the "UI 1.4x" scaling button. Reverted to 1.0 (which is pretty small on a modern widescreen resolution) and the timer appeared.

Psycho Landlord posted:

I'm pretty sure the ship capturing thing is complete bullshit, just fyi.

Seems that way. This game is so badly documented that it was plausible, but yeah--just YouTube commentary BS.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 23, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I'm pretty sure the ship capturing thing is complete bullshit, just fyi.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What good are commandos otherwise? Just there to wreck enemy devices if you can get them on board?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Teledahn posted:

What good are commandos otherwise? Just there to wreck enemy devices if you can get them on board?

They're a plot item, more than anything.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

IF you can get them on board through the flak, they're absolute murder on devices. You can usually get them to disable/destroy 2-3 before they all die. This is really useful for those hard-to-kill systems like weapons gens or shields.

Of course, you need to get them on board, and usually they get priority for flak.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

OAquinas posted:

IF you can get them on board through the flak, they're absolute murder on devices. You can usually get them to disable/destroy 2-3 before they all die. This is really useful for those hard-to-kill systems like weapons gens or shields.

Of course, you need to get them on board, and usually they get priority for flak.

Anti-Ship missiles get a higher priority. But, the guns have to actively get retargetted from fighters, unlike with ship missiles.

Fun fact - while fighters and gunships can survive ASM blasts, fine, they will annihilate the Commando ferry in a single blast.
No prizes for guessing how I figured that one out.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The Mechanoid - Part 14

Personal Log of Marcus Cromwell - 02/10/2112 posted:

If Daryl Sanderson could get access, am I right in thinking that someone else might be able to get in? Will they be able to read my private notes?... I know she only sent some messages... but how can I be sure someone doesn't infiltrate the system? I think the responsibility of my position must be getting to me. No one wants to read my diary entries, even if I am a celebrity...

Let's see... I suppose that in my heart of hearts I knew that Angel was far more than a simple Earth-built AI. The way she took control of that mechanoid... it left us all shaken. It's hard trusting her so blindly, but we have no other option. Dr. Veltman has been talking of an ancient civilization, known as the Creators, who left behind... something, which after it was discovered, infected Tenshi, the Kissaki's scientist AI. A rapid process of development started, which the independent Tenshi would have been incapable of carrying out. It seems that the changes in her personality are down to a complex evolution algorithim. Dr Veltman says that the core of the AI housed by the Angelwing is Tenshi herself, but she has changed tremendously. He says that it is nonsensical to try to separate Tenshi and the alien AI, as if they were two discrete beings. He did concede, however, that there is the possibility that the different personality layers may react individually to external influences. The two AIs have merged, resulting in a third, which is evolving rapidly. This is Angel. Tenshi's loyalty to the Kissaki corporation is a thing of the past. Angel is an autonomous AI, who acts following her own beliefs and interests. But what are her interests? Do they match ours? What's her ultimate goal? Could the time come when she outgrows us, and we find that we are obstructing her in her progress and then... grrr... questions, questions, questions... I'm no detective - I'm just a soldier. There's no use pondering the whys and the wherefores... either Angel is trustworthy, or she isn't. We will almost certainly perish, which ever side the coin lands.

It's a shame ship capturing seems not to be real. Perhaps certain retail builds of the game feature the mechanic, something that was intended to be in the game but was disabled and not available in most versions. If you own a retail copy, I suggest you try it with an unpatched version of the game and see if it is somehow possible. It's an interesting idea, and could be an interesting footnote in the history of the game.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Highlight of that video right here:

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
This game would def. be too difficult/frustrating for me, thanks for taking the time and showing it to us, Herp!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It could definitely use a small mod making it less punishing.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

I've found that it's a bit easier when you use the energy bombs (they aren't ammunition-limited torps, just explosive energy shells). 2 of them will immediately strip shields of the smaller ships, and multiple ones if they're close together.

The only caveat is that they're AoE, so your ships can't be too close to them or their shields get hurt. Still, it's great for shredding the support craft in a hurry, especially if you follow it with missile/torp fire.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

OAquinas posted:

I've found that it's a bit easier when you use the energy bombs (they aren't ammunition-limited torps, just explosive energy shells). 2 of them will immediately strip shields of the smaller ships, and multiple ones if they're close together.

The only caveat is that they're AoE, so your ships can't be too close to them or their shields get hurt. Still, it's great for shredding the support craft in a hurry, especially if you follow it with missile/torp fire.

I despise energy bombs, they always kill my ships faster than they kill the enemy. Not much of a mass artillery guy in this game outside of certain levels.

SIGSEGV posted:

It could definitely use a small mod making it less punishing.

SavageGentleman posted:

This game would def. be too difficult/frustrating for me, thanks for taking the time and showing it to us, Herp!

Easy mode is honestly the way to play. We're playing medium, here. I actually highly recommend giving this weird space strategy game a go for its different style of gameplay.

Update on the ship capturing: The commenter is offering to send a save file. I'm not personally willing to download a save file from somebody selling an unverified story, but if they drop a link I'll certainly drop it in here if anyone is braver than I.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I despise energy bombs, they always kill my ships faster than they kill the enemy. Not much of a mass artillery guy in this game outside of certain levels.

Agreed on the other artillery items, and while it's definitely easy to screw yourself over by accident with energy bombs, they have great range and couple well with loading up other ships with hull breakers. Plus other weapons we may see later. Extra great for when you're in a fort shield.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Energy bombs are the poo poo, I always mass them for that "boom, no shields on any of you" blink of light.

Ask me about what I think of solo missions when I have 2 bombs 2 gatlings configuration on Angelwing :v:

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Update on the ship capturing: The commenter is offering to send a save file. I'm not personally willing to download a save file from somebody selling an unverified story, but if they drop a link I'll certainly drop it in here if anyone is braver than I.

Also get clear version info.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I want to believe.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Oh come on... :saddowns:
Alpha strike a ship formation with these from range, then go in for the brawl.
Although it did take some time for me to get the spacing right.

At least tell me you like the big plasma guns. When in doubt, choose the boring big gun. Works quite reasonable, unless you want to shoot down speedy destroyers.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The Locust - Part 15

Personal Log of Marcus Cromwell - 05/10/2112 posted:

I think it's time I let go of the naive idea that the galaxy is full of benevolent races, all extending their hands, feelers, or whatever in friendship... most of the races we've encountered have tried to kill us - even our supposed allies, the Vardrags, have done nothing but put us in the firing line on their behalf. I think I'm being far from pessismistic when I say that our situation is getting worse. This insect-like creature - with the exception of the mechanoids, it is the most horrific, terrifying thing we have encountered. As an adult, one comes to realise that space is full of danger, and the few non-hostile races aren't necessarily committed to protecting humankind against its many predators.

That I'm recording this is positive news - it means we're still alive. If I'm completely honest, I get a buzz from the battles. It's the consequences of ongoing conflict that I dislike. The crew have raised concerns about Angel's latest move. I'm not entirely comfortable with it myself. She integrated a mechanoid into my ship without consent... that is, it's not my ship as such... at least, that's how she sees it. The point is, the crew don't trust Angel and I can't say I blame them. The Angelwing has acquired some useful abilities with the assimilated mechanoid, and its energy-image is semi-mechanoid, which may prove useful in tricking the real mechanoids and the Entity. My gut tells me that we're headed down the right path, but it's hard being patient about all these detours with Earth still enslaved.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Ramadu posted:

Herp, I appreciate you doing all these crazy space games and off beat stuff. I also really appreciate that you crank out the updates and make them pretty frequent and not once a week or whatever. Keep it up!

I'm glad to see this game played again because I thought I was the only person in the world who had played it, let alone heard of it. I never did finish it as a kid because of some mission where I just got mercilessly crushed and welp never went back.

At least it wasn't once a week! :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
At least Norbank was smart enough to realize that this was probably a trap, and went in loaded for bear, ready for it. Too bad he got the target of the trap wrong.

• Locked thread