Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Last year we got one of the most significant fights of the 21st century when Andre Ward challenged the (mostly) unified light heavyweight champion, Sergey Kovalev.

This year, they're fighting again, and it's just as important.

If you want profiles on the individual fighters, click the link up top and check out my OP for their first fight. The guys are the same, so their story just needs updating, not rewriting. They're really interesting people though, so I recommend checking it out if you don't already follow boxing closely.

The First Fight

It was supposed to be a close fight, the potential number 1 and 2 pound for pound fighters in the world. It was a close fight and a very good one at that. It wasn't exactly a stand up brawl, but it had a lot of action and tension. Ward was knocked down early, but fought his way back into the fight with some grade A boxing and got a decision. That's the general narrative of the fight, but there was significant controversy over the results. Ward definitely fought his way back into contention, but it wasn't certain he had done quite enough. At the end of the fight, a slight majority of the media cards had Kovalev winning 114-113 or 115-112, while a significant minority of had Ward winning 114-113. Don't get it twisted, these are all legitimate cards you could take away from the fight, as there were at least two split rounds. It wasn't a robbery by any means, this is just sort of what happens when the best fight the best.

A mix of attitudes emerged following. A lot of fans felt Kovalev should have walked home with the win, and there were rampant accusations of an American scheme to rob the visiting fighter and all that. Ward got the belts, but it was clear that unless he rematched, there would be a huge question mark over this fight. After a bunch of bullshit, we finally got the fight.

The narrative from here is whether Ward can continue to improve upon his performance and win more decisively or if Kovalev can bring something more overpowering and stop Ward from doing his thing. Ward is the favourite going in, as tends to happen to with rematches, but this is a very dangerous fight for him, as we've already seen that Kovalev can definitely hurt him. On Kovalev's side, he's not the sort of guy to take this kind of thing lying down. He's never lost before, and based on everything he's said and done since the decision, he is pissed. He seems to think he's pinpointed the problems he had in the first fight and is sure his new approach can take it for him.

Despite this being a rematch, it really feels like the continuation of a fight paused 6 months ago. Both fighters definitely have the tools and ability to make changes and win in my opinion. I personally favour Ward here, but if this goes anything like the first match, it's not a comfortable fight at all for him.

The Undercard

Hey, it's the part of the PPV that's going on while you're reading this.

Being honest, this undercard is hardly exceptional, but its definitely worth watching,

Dmitry Bivol vs Cedric Agnew

Bivol is the prospect on display here. He's a Russian light heavyweight knockout artist, trying to follow in Kovalev's footsteps. He's a fun fighter to watch at any time, and Agnew is good enough to make this fight meaningful. Agnew is one of those guys who has too many wins to be considered a journeyman, but not enough significant accomplishments to be anything more than a fringe contender. It's a stepping stone fight for Bivol, around the same level of his previous two fights. If it goes like the previous two, it should be quick.

Luis Arias vs Arif Magomedov

Two prospects I really know nothing about. :shrug: Maybe it will be good, maybe it won't! You never quite know what you're getting with these sort of second fight prospect buster undercard fights.

Guillermo Rigondeaux vs Moises Flores

Hoo boy, could write a bit more about this one with time, but I don't have that. Rigondeaux is potentially the best fighter in the world right now. It'd hard to say for sure though, since he rarely fights and has a lot of trouble getting big names in the ring with him. Flores is a good fighter, a real contender, but on paper he is outclassed here. Flores is actually good though, and that's probably enough to make Rigo work for this, and maybe show why he's given so much praise in the boxing community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
But how do they compare to Conor McGregor?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i wonder what kovalev can really change in this fight

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Giving Roc Nation my pity 65 :10bux: .

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

loving hell Rigondeaux has deigned to grace us with his presence?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Predicitions:

Rigo's fight might be a stealth good one? IDK I just want to see Rigo leave first gear

I think the judges will be a lot harder on Ward this time, because of all the controversy from last time. He can't let this fight be close.

I'm not sure if Kovalev is going to try to hurt Ward more early, or if he's going to be focusing on the later rounds, since he seems to blame a certain amount of his problems on conditioning.

Lid posted:

But how do they compare to Conor McGregor?

Hmm, I think McGregor is easily the sexiest of the three, in part based on his youth and attitude. Kovalev is a pretty rough looking man, and his personality is as cold and unsettling as his home country. Ward is more thoughtful than either of the others, and his contemplative musings can be interesting, but he's also a bit flat and boring. Plus I'm not really into religious guys. McGregor has sort of figured something out in using a decent sized beard to cover up his fighter face while also making him instantly recognizable. He also arguably has the best fashion sense and can at definitely wear a suit well, something I'm not sure the other two have tried. McGregor also has some solid charisma, I'm kind of a sucker for that huge goofy confidence thing. He seems like he would be fun to go drinking with. I mean, I'm sure Kovalev would be fun to drink with too, but I'm pretty sure you'd end up as an accomplice to a crime

Jump King fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 18, 2017

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
This Magomedov guy was in the WBC's top 5 at middleweight a year ago lol.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

both of these guys have landed flush right hands and done 0 damage. i fear this is going 10

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
If I were the Nevada or California State Athletic Commissioner I would mandate that fight cards cannot end before 11 PM just to piss off thehappyprince.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

thehappyprince posted:

both of these guys have landed flush right hands and done 0 damage. i fear this is going 10

The nemesis of the yank card watching brit. I'm not lasting the distance on this one lads.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

thank god

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Funnily enough I'm going through be out all night and will be barely able to check rbrs

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Bivol might be legit but on the other hand Cedric Agnew is basically a bouncer looking for a bit of cash in hand

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

rigo will deliver us a war to keep us awake

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
lol

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

this. is. boxing.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Oh man that DQ would be terrible

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Yessss I love it

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Just make the ruling Vic. Bob Bennett is too busy swimming in that MayMac money Scrooge McDuck style.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

This is horrible lol

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

loving lol if rigo loses his 0 because of someone andre dirrelling it up

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The ref doesn't seem to know the round ended

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
The gently caress does Drakluich need Bob Bennett for anyways? What does he have to do with it? Just take a look at a replay on one of the monitors make your decision. Why do you need the head of the Commission there for what should be ref's duty?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

What the gently caress hahah

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

hahahahahahah owned

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Thank god KO

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

rigo the killer

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I have no idea how Nevada managed to actually referee that in the spirit of the rules but I'm glad they did

hrollins
May 20, 2003
Radio Friendly Unit Shifter
lol wow. I'm happy for this because the hell with trying to win that way, flops are garbage.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Chacal has thermite in his gloves god drat

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

he didn't get a count tho

what poo poo ref

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Two punches with him holding his head down, then a third after the bell. I don't know. All of that sounds illegal but I hardly ever watch boxing.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

it should've been a no contest but losing by knockout when you were faking is the funniest result so am happy

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Illegal things in boxing are illegal with a wink and a nudge

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I_want_to_believe_with_a_ring_bell_instead_of_a_ufo.jpg

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
This is what happens when you limeys get your wish and fights end quickly. The loving NSAC executive director listening to ring audio.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Oh no are they going to loving reverse this? Lol

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

truckgate 2017 lmao

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

If they reverse this I will be loving livid lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
The 9/9 Chocolatio - Sor Rungvisai card is going to be loving loaded. The undercard is Cuadras-Juan Francisco Estrada and Inoue's US debut.

• Locked thread