Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Hello, recently I've come to notice a species of red ants living in the driveway. Around here fire ants sprout out and I was wondering if these were?
I haven't heard of fire ants growing in pavement before but they don't look like the regular black pavement ants around here.

http://imgur.com/0WxI4Bq

E: For clarification, I live in southern California on the coast.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017
Those appear to be leaf cutter ants

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

El Puerco posted:

Those appear to be leaf cutter ants

See I've been watching them and haven't really seen them carry anything like that. Often anything they can get their hands on including catfood let out.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

those are your classic red driveway ants. smash em.

ziggurat
Jun 18, 2017

by Smythe
ruby fuckwits

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Come on ants aren't bad aside from those invasive fire ant fuckers. They can all go to hell and it's all I'm concerned about since they haven't caused issues so far.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Those don't look like fire ants, but I could be wrong. Here's a few tips.

A: Squish one and smell your squishing implement. If it reeks, it's not a fire ant.

B: Look closely at the abdomen. I can't tell from your photo, but fire ants typically have a faint yellowish band pattern around the abdomen, which is noticeably darker than the body of the ant.

C: If all else fails, get one to sting you. If it hurts and forms a tiny blister, it's probably a fire ant.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah no, no yellow stripes I'll try squashing ones but I'm pretty sure there's no reason to worry now. Not like they are getting into the house or anything.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Perhaps a Western Harvester Ant? I always use http://www.insectidentification.org/ to try and identify any creepy crawlies I don't recognize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Sounds like it and tried but didn't work. Closing thread thanks for the info

• Locked thread