Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tevryr
Dec 5, 2009
I wonder if the BRAAD system was actually all three weird events on purpose. Super suspicious cleaner, giant that causes half the cops to fall on him, and a flying bomb to cover it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It was just the bomb. That was the joke.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've been wondering about Jessie's arseholery, specifically in terms of his family's history with soul removal. I'm not familiar with the comics (and I've no interest in doing so, at least while the show is still going) but is it possible that he's such a complete jerk because he's missing a large portion of his soul, rather than just the one percent he thinks he gave up to incapacitate the Saint?

I think that'd make a decent reveal, and would motivate the character's inevitable return to his hometown next season.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
I have a bad feeling about Denis. If he doesn't go off the rails in this season, then it'll be in a season down the line. They'll return to New Orleans, and Denis will have become a bloodthirsty serial killer vampire lord and Cassidy will have to put him down.

Basically the Eccarius story with an old Frenchman instead of an Anne Rice pastiche

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 16, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

How on earth do you look at Preacher the comic and decide you're gonna rework absolutely everything about the plot except the one thing that absolutely needs to stay is Starr getting raped.

And if you're gonna do that then why leave out the wacky English sex detectives?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Who's house did the missile hit? I missed who it was or I don't recognize the name and missed the joke

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Fried Watermelon posted:

Who's house did the missile hit? I missed who it was or I don't recognize the name and missed the joke

Harry Connick Jr.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Dave Syndrome posted:

I have a bad feeling about Denis. If he doesn't go off the rails in this season, then it'll be in a season down the line. They'll return to New Orleans, and Denis will have become a bloodthirsty serial killer vampire lord and Cassidy will have to put him down.

Basically the Eccarius story with an old Frenchman instead of an Anne Rice pastiche

Yeah this is definitely what is going to happen, Cassidy was asked what his son's temperament was as a big deal when considering to turn him or not, and Cassidy keeps telling Denis to only drink when you need to and no more, and Denis is clearly just doing whatever he feels like to excess. Cassidy is going to have to put down his own kid probably.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

JossiRossi posted:

Yeah this is definitely what is going to happen, Cassidy was asked what his son's temperament was as a big deal when considering to turn him or not, and Cassidy keeps telling Denis to only drink when you need to and no more, and Denis is clearly just doing whatever he feels like to excess. Cassidy is going to have to put down his own kid probably.

Plus he doesn't speak English, which means Jessie can't use the Word on him. (At least not without brushing up on some French.) Practically tailor made for a dramatic confrontation.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dave Syndrome posted:

Yeah I see this coming too. They lingered on Cassidy telling Dennis not to drink too much, and on Dennis really REALLY liking biting that guy. It seems like that's the plan.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
Fun question: Aside from getting noticed by the grail and temporarily stopping the saint what has the gang done this season that actually mattered?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gum posted:

Fun question: Aside from getting noticed by the grail and temporarily stopping the saint what has the gang done this season that actually mattered?

They're trying to find God. Its an impossible quest. If you're expecting tangible progress every episode this isn't the narrative for you.

If you're not floored by Herr Starr this show is never going to satisfy you.

Also lol @ "Besides stopping that one impossible villain, what else have they done?"

Oh and Jesse has been slowly putting the pieces together about The Grail, who seem to know more about what's going on than he does. So, progress? Sheesh.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I think it's funny that people went from bitching that Season 1 was like a prologue that stayed in one town the whole time, then they complained that it looked like Season 2 was going to speed up and be a road trip/series of mostly unrelated vignettes like the comic, and then it turns out they're going to take their time in New Orleans and goons are still miserable

This show is aces and some people just don't like being happy

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Autism Sneaks posted:

I think it's funny that people went from bitching that Season 1 was like a prologue that stayed in one town the whole time, then they complained that it looked like Season 2 was going to speed up and be a road trip/series of mostly unrelated vignettes like the comic, and then it turns out they're going to take their time in New Orleans and goons are still miserable

This show is aces and some people just don't like being happy

The main characters are spinning their wheels and making the show's pacing suffer. It's a better show when Jesse and Tulip are not on screen, and that is a problem.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The main characters are spinning their wheels and making the show's pacing suffer. It's a better show when Jesse and Tulip are not on screen, and that is a problem.

it's almost as though over the last several episodes Jesse burned through the last of his leads, to the point where he's looking for God sightings on Youtube, to the point that he might just be desperate enough to take up the head of a crypto-fascist religious order on an offer to help

like there's some kind of story being told

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is how I feel. All the side stuff is interesting and good but Jessie and Tulip are bringing it down.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Plus he doesn't speak English, which means Jessie can't use the Word on him. (At least not without brushing up on some French.) Practically tailor made for a dramatic confrontation.

Uh, he can. He spoke it this episode.

He's just an arsehole.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Uh, he can. He spoke it this episode.

He's just an arsehole.

It's entirely possible that Denis' new ability to speak English is down to the old vampire trope of absorbing knowledge/language from feeding on victims. I'll admit that's kinda thin, but hey, :shrug:.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Didn't he say like 2 words in English? It's like your average English speaker knows tres magnific or something, doesn't mean they understand French.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

Didn't he say like 2 words in English? It's like your average English speaker knows tres magnific or something, doesn't mean they understand French.

"Thank *you*, Papa."

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
I kinda like them to do a twist with cassidy.

Like instead of the inevitable father having to kill his son, have herr starr kill him and almost kill cassidy after jesse agrees to help him.

boom

instant conflict and the fuel needed to see why cassidy becomes a heel and/or an action hero in the process.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That would be similar to an arc from the comic, too.

Oh god, I just realized. Starr already knows who Jesse is. We're never getting Cass trying to pass himself off as Jesse.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh god, I just realized. Starr already knows who Jesse is. We're never getting Cass trying to pass himself off as Jesse.

Gawd Demmit.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Whenever people bring up plot points from the original comics I often have a hard time believing that was in the comics until I remember. Haha.

Anyway, wasn't Tulip handing something over to Starr in Season 1 in the cinema? Or am I misremembering things?

Season 1, particularly episode 1 seems really weird in retrospect. I wonder if Season 3 will take place in Angelville with Jodie and whatshisname, the fishfucker? Certainly seems like they're going for the one location per seasons shtick that TWD had, too.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Zwille posted:

Whenever people bring up plot points from the original comics I often have a hard time believing that was in the comics until I remember. Haha.

Anyway, wasn't Tulip handing something over to Starr in Season 1 in the cinema? Or am I misremembering things?

Season 1, particularly episode 1 seems really weird in retrospect. I wonder if Season 3 will take place in Angelville with Jodie and whatshisname, the fishfucker? Certainly seems like they're going for the one location per seasons shtick that TWD had, too.

It was Tulip's boss/contact who gave them crime jobs

It was blueprints of some kind

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm absolutely convinced those blueprints served no other purpose than to give us a glimpse of Starr.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

That would be similar to an arc from the comic, too.

They could have cassidy try and fail miserably because of this point. :p

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Dave Syndrome posted:

Gawd Demmit.

:golfclap:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

shades of eternity posted:

They could have cassidy try and fail miserably because of this point. :p

"Ah, the vampire. I would say it is a pleasure to meet you, but I am not taken to lying when it comes to those I loathe."

"Fairenuff, so ye ain't scared or nuthin'? Most folks'd droppa shite they knew me nutritional pref'rences."

"I have led a very interesting life and ended far more deserving lives than yours."

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Saw this amazing oil portrait of the Saint on Facebook.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Zwille posted:

TC, also known as the down neck-shitter. :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drat I would love to hear a live-action rendition of Saddam Hopper

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Ah, the vampire. I would say it is a pleasure to meet you, but I am not taken to lying when it comes to those I loathe."

"Fairenuff, so ye ain't scared or nuthin'? Most folks'd droppa shite they knew me nutritional pref'rences."

"I have led a very interesting life and ended far more deserving lives than yours."

give this poster serious applause :D

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Labes for days posted:

Saw this amazing oil portrait of the Saint on Facebook.

I used to hate the first season for being so different from the book. By now I've made my peace and actually really like what they're doing with the characters. But one thing I will not get used to is the Saint of Killers with a beard. It just makes him look too soft and cuddly.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

zeal posted:

And the more we see of Eugene and Adolf in Hell, the better
At least they seem to be involved in a plot that's going somewhere.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've been wondering about Jessie's arseholery, specifically in terms of his family's history with soul removal. I'm not familiar with the comics (and I've no interest in doing so, at least while the show is still going) but is it possible that he's such a complete jerk because he's missing a large portion of his soul, rather than just the one percent he thinks he gave up to incapacitate the Saint?

I think that'd make a decent reveal, and would motivate the character's inevitable return to his hometown next season.
Return to the massive hole in the ground where his home town used to be, you mean?

Zaphod42 posted:

Also lol @ "Besides stopping that one impossible villain, what else have they done?"
What impossible villain? They ran away from him a couple of times and then the first plan they came up with to stop him worked perfectly. There was never any sense of real threat there. Odin in season one came across as a bigger threat even though he wasn't even trying to kill anyone.

Autism Sneaks posted:

Season one was pretty decent and I believe I said that at the time. Season two's just been spinning its wheels from episode one. Nothing of consequence has happened. Maybe Dennis or Starr will turn out to be worth something or maybe they'll just be dealt with anticlimactically like the saint was.

Zwille posted:

Season 1, particularly episode 1 seems really weird in retrospect.
Episode one of season one was inconsistent with the entire rest of the show. Remember how Tulip built a rocket launcher out of household items and seemed cheerful and fun? And remember how she's never been like that or done anything comparable since? It's like it was as totally different character.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I have to wonder, how different would the show be if it had the f-bombs of the comic

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

How on earth do you look at Preacher the comic and decide you're gonna rework absolutely everything about the plot except the one thing that absolutely needs to stay is Starr getting raped.

I really liked the visitor badges. But yes, I hate to say this about any show, but it needed a more emotional rape scene. I feel it was a 100% nod to comics fans and not meant to matter much in the TV show plot.

[quote="Dave Syndrome" post="475390439"]
Also, does anyone know who the French professor is? I'm getting a serious Sean Astin / Mark Hamill vibe.

Yes, he seemed very familiar. But apparently it's this guy:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0915778/?mode=desktop&ref_=m_ft_dsk

Really Mark Hamillish in look and voice.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Getaway donkeys lmao

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

So were we not supposed to notice Jesse's collar tips or belt buckle in the metal detector scene or...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Aw man, I don't know if I'm gonna be ready for "the child" after seeing this setup

• Locked thread