Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

drat that was a good fight scene for TV! Hard hits, lots of improvised weapons and smashing, and nice long consistent camerawork so you can actually keep track of the action!

Man I was so bummed on mainstream action for a long time following all the Bourne-style shakey cam poo poo, hopefully Daredevil's given everybody an example of how to do fight scenes properly and we can get more poo poo like this!

PLEASE tell me the ratings are getting better? This show is owning all kinds of face this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Blazing Ownager posted:

PLEASE tell me the ratings are getting better? This show is owning all kinds of face this season.

AMC honestly doesn't care much about ratings - they like good reviews, because whatever they miss in viewers they can make up when people buy the 'complete series' sets later on. Every episode of Halt and Catch Fire only manages about 250-350k viewers, and Preacher thus far is pulling in an average of ~1.4m viewers per episode. However, I am noticing more ad breaks lately.

See also: http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3396949/amc-says-fk-ratings-renews-preacher-second-season/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 11, 2017

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
But LOL at the joyless fucksticks in the comments of that bloody disgusting article:

-I quit watching the abomination halfway through the season. They changed every character, changed the origins, changed the backstory set a whole season in a town that isn't really part of the story except for 4 pages of backstory that should have been accounted for in 2 minutes of screen time. Yeah, it looks pretty. It's boring as hell and lacks any sense of pace and has had all of the humor and soul leeched out of it.

-Awesome, they will continue to completely ignore the source material for yet another season...

-Renewal was a favor to Rogan. Gotta keep face in Hollywood circles that his first venture onto the small screen wasn't an absolute failure. The show is just violence for violence sake with barely any plot. And where's the character development? We know pieces of their lives/motivations but nothing concrete and we're already up to episode 6. I love Tulip, she lights up the screen but even she's become boring with all her "Jesse be bad" BS. Go off and do a job, reclaim your lady balls and stop being a pest. Yeah, yeah, they'll tie it all together later. Well, they are boring the hell out of me now.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
No one cares about source material grognards

They always complain

because they are empty and dead inside

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Zaphod42 posted:

drat that was a good fight scene for TV! Hard hits, lots of improvised weapons and smashing, and nice long consistent camerawork so you can actually keep track of the action!

You know what I want to see, is a "making of" shot of that fight scene like from a security cam or something where we get to see the cameraman zipping around the perimeter around them, dipping and bobbing and probably expending 10x more energy than either of the actors and covering 10x more ground. That was a loving trip.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

loving Frankie Muniz :xd:

Loved the hell stuff, especially the poor caveman who still after all this time apparently doesn't grasp the concept of the fire on television not being real :3:

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I think the caveman freaking out over the Yule log was my favorite part of the episode.

Re: grognards bitching about how the show isn't 1:1 with the comic, I saw a guy whining on Facebook about how they ruined Tulip because she's supposed to be a blonde. Don't remember him complaining about DeBlanc not being a blonde, though. :jerkbag:

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Does anyone speak French well enough to tell me what Denis is saying? I got something about "apartment" and "egotistical" but not much else. Any explanation why he lets Cassidy stay in his house for free? Does he owe him a favor or something?

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
I get the feeling Eugene only starting beating on Hitler once he noticed the cameras. Knowing he doesn't belong there and the Superintendent being suspicious on why he's there since she said he seemed to have lived a good life. I think not kicking the poo poo out of Hitler would have ruined that.

Edit: About Cassidy, are we ever going to see more of that crazy cult hunting him from the pilot? (Didn't read the comics so I don't know if they're the same fanatics Jesse fought from the last episode)

Titan fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 11, 2017

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Titan posted:

Edit: About Cassidy, are we ever going to see more of that crazy cult hunting him from the pilot? (Didn't read the comics so I don't know if they're the same fanatics Jesse fought from the last episode)

My guess is that it was the same group, but rewatching the fight scene there aren't any details to confirm that, like a person in a white suit never waltzes in to try and kill Cassidy, so the writers could make them the same group or be a different one if they really want to.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Titan posted:

At least as far as the comics go, Cassidy never had any dealings with them. Not that that means anything for the show, of course...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zzulu posted:

No one cares about source material grognards

They always complain

because they are empty and dead inside

As someone who has read the comic I think the show is doing a much better job with the characters, who were always pretty shallow. Like in the comic the whole "preacher" thing just felt like an affectation for Jesse, he never really came across as serious in his belief. Mostly because you never actually saw him practice his faith, it was pretty much just backstory that ended when Genesis appeared and blew up his church.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Data Graham posted:

You know what I want to see, is a "making of" shot of that fight scene like from a security cam or something where we get to see the cameraman zipping around the perimeter around them, dipping and bobbing and probably expending 10x more energy than either of the actors and covering 10x more ground. That was a loving trip.

Yeah for real. Rewatching it, they do some clever editing where the camera buries itself into Jesse's dark jacket back so you don't notice the cut, which is effective in keeping the intensity of pace of the fight going. It really feels like one fluid take, even though it definitely wasn't. But even then, there's bits of the fight that are themselves still very long fights. The part with the camera bobbing left and right over the shoulders of the body (probably buying time for the other actor to move to his mark) works *just* right with Jesse's head moving, there's no way they got that on the first take.

Titan posted:

I get the feeling Eugene only starting beating on Hitler once he noticed the cameras. Knowing he doesn't belong there and the Superintendent being suspicious on why he's there since she said he seemed to have lived a good life. I think not kicking the poo poo out of Hitler would have ruined that.

Jeeze. Yes dude, he only beat on Hitler because of the cameras and otherwise he was going to make them stop. That was painfully obvious.

I don't know where you're getting "doesn't belong there" though, he's a suicide. That's how Christianity works. That's the whole insane irony of Preacher. She wasn't "suspicious" because he had a good life, she was telling him that this is loving Hell and you're not going to pussy-foot around and try to be a good person; you're in hell so you're a bad person so loving deal with it. Don't lie to yourself.

Its part of the punishment of Hell. They're breaking Eugene and taking away everything good about him. Turning him into something even worse is part of his sentence and penance.

Titan posted:

I think that was just an intro, Cassidy is a crazy vampire and those were vampire hunters. But they could end up tying it in with those other guys, the show clearly doesn't mind changing things from the comics (and that's a good thing)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 11, 2017

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Technically Eugene didn't kill himself, he hosed it up. He's only in hell because of Jesse. Which makes you wonder why the hell bureaucracy doesn't know that.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

mallratcal posted:

Technically Eugene didn't kill himself, he hosed it up. He's only in hell because of Jesse. Which makes you wonder why the hell bureaucracy doesn't know that.

Eh, someone must have messed up some paperwork and left out where he killed a family of 4 and ate them. Who cares, I got more important things to worry about like a lower block flooding, and someone's screaming so much it's bothering the guards.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mallratcal posted:

Oh that's true, I don't know how that slipped my mind. Something about Eugene living out his worst day made me think he died and went to hell right afterwards, but ... obviously that's not true because he lived on as Arseface for a long time. Yeah....

I'm bad at TV too.

In that case its interesting that he was assigned a cell at all, but I guess Hell can't be bothered to figure out the whys when they're already overbooked.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
I can see a point in the future where Jesse tries to get Eugene out and clear up the "clerical error" (so to speak), but by that time Eugene has committed so many evil deeds down there that by the rules of Hell he has to stay.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I'd like to see Jesse go to hell to free Arseface but run into a literal mountain of paperwork to get him out. Eugene becoming king of hell would also be acceptable.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

mallratcal posted:

I'm assuming that is what is causing Hell to break down.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

I'm assuming that is what is causing Hell to break down.

I'm still hoping this is all secretly part of Hell's plan just to give people hope, and a chance to gently caress with each other the way they beat up Hitler

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I'm glad that The Funkosaurus was in this episode.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
"I used to go to prostitutes... Now I am one"

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

mallratcal posted:

If the bureaucracy was well-resourced, efficient and attentive to personal needs then it wouldn't be hell.

Edit: of course it's completely unrealistic... Hell would totally have subcontracted out to private companies by now, whose dedication to making a profit would surely improve things. Oh God are we going to get a US prison service metaphor?

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 11, 2017

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Dave Syndrome posted:

Does anyone speak French well enough to tell me what Denis is saying? I got something about "apartment" and "egotistical" but not much else. Any explanation why he lets Cassidy stay in his house for free? Does he owe him a favor or something?

It was basically "What the gently caress are these people doing in my house? You're so egotistical. Why do I have to put up with this poo poo?".

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Eugene might not have succeeded in killing himself, but he clearly *intended* to, which ecumenically isn't as bad as succeeding in killing yourself in the Judeo-Christian 'rule set,' but it's definitely still bad.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

As someone who has read the comic I think the show is doing a much better job with the characters, who were always pretty shallow. Like in the comic the whole "preacher" thing just felt like an affectation for Jesse, he never really came across as serious in his belief. Mostly because you never actually saw him practice his faith, it was pretty much just backstory that ended when Genesis appeared and blew up his church.

Jesse was only a Preacher in the books because his grandmother beat him down and destroyed him. He never had any desire to do it and after Annville he kept the theme going because he had a mission to track down God, plus it was the name of the book.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Hell arc is interesting because as I recall from the GN, the only peek we got at Hell was when the Saint was leaving it, and it was classic fire, brimstone, and demon Hell, not this more interesting, almost atheist/agnostic rendition.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Hell arc is interesting because as I recall from the GN, the only peek we got at Hell was when the Saint was leaving it, and it was classic fire, brimstone, and demon Hell, not this more interesting, almost atheist/agnostic rendition.

Yeah their vision of hell is really interesting. The superintendent seems to suspect Eugene doesn't belong there. At first I thought on the phone she was talking about God being gone, but upon watching it again I think she's talking about the Saint of Killers and doesn't know God peaced out just yet. Pretty unnerving that the superintendents voice would shift between normal and than have a slight demonic tone mid sentence as well.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

the only peek we got at Hell was when the Saint was leaving it, and it was classic fire, brimstone, and demon Hell

That wasn't hell, that was the smouldering ruins of Annville.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No, in the comic.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I like how Pat was the only one who who would talk to Tulip, while everyone else were being dicks and ignoring her. Pat was alright.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

With each new episode I can't help but think that the whole weird technology aspect heaven and hell have going on could just as well hint at a huge deviation from the comics where there aren't any supernatural elements at all, but secret government facilities named Hell, where people are systematically brainwashed, and Heaven, where they developed a weird superweapon named Genesis that got loose and needs to be retrieved (with Heaven agents going so far as to free a brainwashed Hell prisoner), and the Grail Corporation or whatever they were called on the blueprint Tulip had in season 1 somehow mixed up in all of it.

It's bollocks, obviously, and many of the show's events contradict it very clearly, but it's messing with my head.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Honestly? I'd kind of be down with that. A group of humans who somehow co-opted God into more or less being their bitch, explaining how nothing really that bad ever happens to the uber-rich and powerful anymore (because they pay for preferential treatment), and Genesis being his all-in gambit to get it all back.

A mix of the Divine with the worst of humanity, with both sides having become increasingly incompetent as a result of the arrangement.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 12, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Even with all this discussion of the techno-supernatural and the industrial wasteland vision of Hell, I've been meaning to mention how much I enjoy that at the same time the show is embracing this kind of super-literal, ten-year-old's-eye view of things like heaven and angels and death. You kill an angel and he regenerates ten feet away. Heaven is some guys in a pillared room in the clouds. There's nothing metaphysical or otherworldly about stepping beyond the veil, it's not like you put on the Ring and glimpse a whole other world much bigger than the one you thought you knew. These supernatural places are just, like, around the corner.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Data Graham posted:

No, in the comic.

They showed Hell in a lot more detail in the Saint of Killers mini-series, yeah it was all traditional fire-and-brimstone. I don't think that would work for this type of show, I like their version.

Anyone complaining about Tulip especially being changed, I don't know what they read. She was a complete non-character who was there to have stuff happen to her so Jesse could save/gently caress her. Once in a while she'd shoot someone. Giving her any sort of personality is a big improvement.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

She liked rap

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The supervisor mentioned that someone was missing from Hell when she was talking to one of her underlings, so it doesn't have anything to do with Eugene.

It's probably God and the Devil hanging out in blues clubs picking up women

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The fact the hell's punishments are basically the same in Preacher and Lucifer brings us that much closer to the crossover of my dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Fried Watermelon posted:

The supervisor mentioned that someone was missing from Hell when she was talking to one of her underlings, so it doesn't have anything to do with Eugene.

It's probably God and the Devil hanging out in blues clubs picking up women

She's definitely talking about the Saint of Killers and not Satan- In the same line she's cursing about "He's missing?" she says that they'd better figure things out otherwise they're going to have to answer to ~him~

• Locked thread