Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
The motel fight vs the Seraphim in S1 was a top moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9jlek0Ymlc

'D'ye know what this remindes me of'

'Shut up, Cassidy'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

I loved season 1 a lot and was baffled when I found out the general opinion around here was that it was bad. Season 2 looks like it's going to go all the way to 11 and I can't wait.

Joe Gilgnun is amazing, always, in everything. Go watch This is England, I'll wait.

It was slow to find it's footing, and the Tulip character didn't get much to do until near the end of the season. But to be fair she wasn't exactly dynamic in the comic either.

Most of the complaints I've seen are the usual 'not true to the material' crap, but I can also get how it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Herr Starr, if they get him even half right, hold on to your balls.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
They're still trying too hard in a few spots but it's very fun. Veering from the books some more (potential next episode spoilers) if that preview wasn't a fake out. The Saint did obey the Word in the book, even though Jesse was smart/scared enough not to push it.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Medullah posted:

He also never missed, though I can kind of see that one having to be waved away for the blaze of glory.

It was weird they specifically showed him doing that. I don't think it added much of value.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Data Graham posted:

Not enough gun

I dont like that the truck moved him!

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

So it looks like they're definitely putting more limitations on the Word seeing as it didn't work on that guy either.

It did, Jesse said 'be quiet!' so the guy just said what he was saying quieter

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
He stole that magic trick from The Prestige

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tulip is a bad boring character in the comic. She's basically Jesse's ideal gently caress-doll that can shoot a gun.

The show gives her some type of personality. It's an improvement.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
hoping for some sweet sweet Herr Starr/Grail antics

e - i guess that could be a very minor spoiler

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Firstborn posted:

Someone spoil the gently caress out of whatever the treasure chest was supposed to mean. Tia.

when Jesse was a kid he was basically tortured by his mom's family, one of the punishments they regularly did was lock him in a chest with a breathing tube and left him sitting in the bottom of a river, they weren't nice people.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Titan posted:

I still have no idea what that joke meant.

I do love how Cassidy stumbles in on the brawl and immediately shoots the Seraphim in the head then joins in without hesitation.

It wasn't a call-back to anything as far as I know, it was just funny that Cassidy has seen a lot of weird poo poo in his time, that a death brawl with a replicating angel reminded him of another incident

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I wonder if that nun in hell was meant to be Mother Teresa

They'll have to do a QA where they explain all those characters, I doubt they will in-show

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Hell arc is interesting because as I recall from the GN, the only peek we got at Hell was when the Saint was leaving it, and it was classic fire, brimstone, and demon Hell, not this more interesting, almost atheist/agnostic rendition.

Data Graham posted:

No, in the comic.

They showed Hell in a lot more detail in the Saint of Killers mini-series, yeah it was all traditional fire-and-brimstone. I don't think that would work for this type of show, I like their version.

muscles like this! posted:

As someone who has read the comic I think the show is doing a much better job with the characters, who were always pretty shallow. Like in the comic the whole "preacher" thing just felt like an affectation for Jesse, he never really came across as serious in his belief. Mostly because you never actually saw him practice his faith, it was pretty much just backstory that ended when Genesis appeared and blew up his church.

Anyone complaining about Tulip especially being changed, I don't know what they read. She was a complete non-character who was there to have stuff happen to her so Jesse could save/gently caress her. Once in a while she'd shoot someone. Giving her any sort of personality is a big improvement.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm enjoying the hell out of the show, but I don't get the reverence for the comic. I've never read it, but every time someone talks about the differences or just the comic in general, it sounds incredibly dumb.

The majority of it was,

However Garth Ennis has a bizzare way to make you care about non-redeemable savages

The entire comic thingy, had plenty of fat could be carved off

Yet a Charm that will stand on its own

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
This is awesome, they're using the actual comics

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I loved it

the awesome fan theory about the old guy was true

Next week the Grail.

Commence to jigglin

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
holy lol @ asian kid in 'Atlanta Falcons: Superbowl Champs' t-shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
It helps if you think of it as getting into a gang or made in the mafia, instead of some sort of government recruitment process. The Grail cares about results not lawsuits, when a sociopath like Starr comes along they'll find a place for him.

• Locked thread