Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Some say heroes are born, not made. Others say that greatness comes from within and anyone can achieve greatness no matter what their origins. Whatever the truth it is well known that there are those whose lives will go down in the annals of history.
Now, today, one such person is coming into existence, their birth both proclaimed and overshadowed by a great event.
While it will be many years until their story proper begins, already the fates gather around this new life and argue over what should become of it - for what we are in life is sometimes decided before we are even born….

Welcome to From Cradle to Grave.

This is a freeform create you own adventure in which we will follow the fate of a person from their birth to their death. Hopefully I’ll be able to maintain the thread’s momentum until they have reached the end of their tale. (Let’s be realistic here, we all know that there are a hundred things that can kill a thread around here.)

To begin with, we need to get things going by setting the stage of the child's birth. After that the plan is to jump through the childhood years fairly quickly and use them as worldbuilding before things properly kick off as our character hits a decent age.
I’ve deliberately left things fairly open, as I don’t mind running this as sci-fi or fantasy or whatever.

For now, I just want some basic info.
Name/Sex
Where is our character born?
- This does not have to be (and preferably won’t be) to detailed, but should give some idea of what the setting is as respect to genre.
Who are our characters parents This will give us some sort of social level - or an orphan if you are feeling mean.
What great event has occurred to herald the arrival of our hero(ine)? This can be tied to the birth or completely incidental.

After we have done this, I will jump to 5 years old where we will fill in more world details.

Let’s see if we can at least get the character to their 18th birthday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Name - Tomoth, after the evil God of Slaughter
Sex - Male
Born - Within a dark cave in a forbidden forest, this child was brought into this world as a vessel for the evil God of Slaughter. Little did they know that while the ritual did pull something into the child's body, it was merely the soul of a recently deceased crow that was sacrificed during the ritual. Let's see how it adapts to having human levels of intelligence, yeah?
Parents - Two cultists within a cult sized about fifty. The mother is the leader of the cult and the father is the cult's most practiced priest. They hope to teach their "son" to unlock his latent god-powers so that he may slaughter the world. See, he's trying already by flapping his arms about and knocking over things!
Heraldry - Tomoth, the evil God of Slaughter, ceased all divine intervention. But if he didn't go into the child's body, then where...?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Name: Anya, the Prophesied One

Sex: Both

Where is our character born? - A humble marketplace in a minor town, in accordance with the Prophecy.

Who are our characters parents? - A virginal maiden by the name of Katysha, in accordance with the Prophecy. Sire prophesied to be the Great One, the All-Powerful, The Merciful Divinity.

What great event has occurred to herald the arrival of our hero(ine)? - A stellar alignment unlike any before or since, all the stars and planets, without exception, pointing to the place where Anya was to be born. The beasts of the field, birds of the air and fish of the sea have been singing non-stop to herald their arrival. There can be no doubt that this was the one who was promised.

Still, no pressure.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

AJ_Impy posted:

Name: Anya, the Prophesied One

Sex: Both

Where is our character born? - A humble marketplace in a minor town, in accordance with the Prophecy.

Who are our characters parents? - A virginal maiden by the name of Katysha, in accordance with the Prophecy. Sire prophesied to be the Great One, the All-Powerful, The Merciful Divinity.

What great event has occurred to herald the arrival of our hero(ine)? - A stellar alignment unlike any before or since, all the stars and planets, without exception, pointing to the place where Anya was to be born. The beasts of the field, birds of the air and fish of the sea have been singing non-stop to herald their arrival. There can be no doubt that this was the one who was promised.

Still, no pressure.

Seconding this.

No pressure.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

None at all!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

jon joe posted:

Name - Tomoth, after the evil God of Slaughter
Sex - Male
Born - Within a dark cave in a forbidden forest, this child was brought into this world as a vessel for the evil God of Slaughter. Little did they know that while the ritual did pull something into the child's body, it was merely the soul of a recently deceased crow that was sacrificed during the ritual. Let's see how it adapts to having human levels of intelligence, yeah?
Parents - Two cultists within a cult sized about fifty. The mother is the leader of the cult and the father is the cult's most practiced priest. They hope to teach their "son" to unlock his latent god-powers so that he may slaughter the world. See, he's trying already by flapping his arms about and knocking over things!
Heraldry - Tomoth, the evil God of Slaughter, ceased all divine intervention. But if he didn't go into the child's body, then where...?

Hail Tomoth

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Name/Sex - Bradley (Brad) Owens, male

Where is our character born? - Omaha, NE at the CHI Health Lakeside Hospital.

Who are our characters parents - Mother was raised Mormon, but left the Church to marry Lee, who belongs to a hardline conservative Presbyterian church, although he's not particularly fundamentalist himself. He's glad he's having a boy because he wants to one day be able to share his model train hobby and pass on his basketball cards. Mother doesn't work, but Father processes car insurance claims. He's from a smaller town about an hour away.

What great event has occurred to herald the arrival of our hero(ine)? - A homeless man runs into the delivery room as Mother is in labor, screaming about the Angel of Death begotten unto the world sick with sin, a world cleansed by fire and blood. He points at Mother's womb even as the policemen drag him away. He has a long history of paranoid schizophrenia and recently stopped taking his medication.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

If it's a choice between evil child and good child I may well have to do both!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Grey Hunter posted:

Whoever said Anya was good? Sure, she's the Prophesied one, as foretold, for whose birth the stars danced and the lowly creatures sang, but that doesn't necessarily mean much for her morality down the line...

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

Whoever said Tomoth was evil blah blah blah words.

The point is:
Dual narrative? HELL YEAH!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Man, doesn't all this magic and Chosen One stuff get boring after a while? How about someone totally unremarkable caught up in great events by pure chance, instead.

Name/sex - Annushka Morozov, female
Where is our character born? - An impoverished one-room farmhouse, on the outskirts of a farming village in western Russia
Who are our character's parents? - Hard working peasant farmers. Mom is a hidebound traditionalist, Dad wants greater things for his little girl, but has a nasty habit of drinking away what little money and barter the family can scrape together
Great event - Half a world away, at the Haymarket Square in Chicago, a brutal riot breaks out after a bomb is thrown at police violently dispersing protesters. Although little comes of the Haymarket Affair itself, the international fallout and ensuing trial of 8 anarchists marks a turning point in the international labor movement. Growing dissatisfaction with the current world order and an increasingly radicalized labor movement will soon change Russia, and the world, forever.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 22, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Name/Sex :

USS Enterprise CV-6, Yorktown Class Aircraft Carrier

Newport News, Virginia

Who are our characters parents?

Secretary of the Navy Claude A. Swanson and his wife, Lulie Swanson

What great event has occurred to herald the arrival of our hero(ine)?

October 3rd, 1934

Harry Wallace yawned. It was a few minutes past midnight, and he still had six hours to go on his shift. Still, it could have been worse-three years ago, he hadn't had any job at all, and though the hours for a security job were bad, and the pay was worse, Harry was glad to have it.

As he strolled through the empty shipyard, Harry swung his flashlight left and right, tracing the beam across the concrete and steel jungle around him. The Depression had hit the shipyard hard, but there were still plenty of projects in various stages of completion. The biggest of them, of course, was the Enterprise. Over eight hundred feet long from bow to stern, and weighing nearly twenty thousand tons, the Enterprise was perhaps the grandest ship Harry had ever seen. He'd watched them lay down the keel less than half a year before, and he'd marveled as the titanic structure had risen up rapidly. Now nearly complete, the ship was scheduled to be launched later that day, before undergoing a lengthy fitting-out and commissioning process.

"Beautiful, ain't she?"

Harry spun around, shocked. In front of him, a strangely dressed man was staring up at the incomplete Enterprise.

"Hey buddy, you're not supposed to be here!" Harry said, approaching the man cautiously.

The man ignored him. "You know, she's gonna have a great career. Absolutely incredible, you wouldn't even believe it."

Harry's mouth twisted into a frown as he tried to understand the man's thick Brooklyn accent. "Buddy, I told you once, I'll tell you again, you're not supposed to be here. You drunk or something?"

Sighing, the man turned to face Harry. Harry immediately froze when he saw the man holding a long, pointed shiv in his right hand. Seeing Harry freeze up, the man laughed and put up his hands. "Oh, don't worry, this isn't for you. This is for some british son-of-a-bitch, in case he lets anything bad happen to her." He pointed his thumb back at the dark carrier.

"Still," he said, "I've been here long enough. Just wanted to get a good look at her, you know? Like watchin' your kid being born." Sliding the shiv into his pocket, the man walked up, and patted Harry on the shoulder. "Just take good care of her for me."

With that, the man walked off into the darkness. A half-minute after he disappeared, Harry found the courage to begin moving again, and quickly ran back to the nearest security checkpoint. Within an hour, a dozen armed security guards swarmed the yard where the man had last been seen. In spite of their efforts, however, they found no sign of the man. All they found was a small, sharpened improvised knife, with a large, elegant letter E carved into the blade.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

Man, doesn't all this magic and Chosen One stuff get boring after a while? How about someone totally unremarkable caught up in great events by pure chance, instead.

Name/sex - Annushka Morozov, female
Where is our character born? - An impoverished one-room farmhouse, on the outskirts of a farming village in western Russia
Who are our character's parents? - Hard working peasant farmers. Mom is a hidebound traditionalist, Dad wants greater things for his little girl, but has a nasty habit of drinking away what little money and barter the family can scrape together
Great event - Half a world away, at the Haymarket Square in Chicago, a brutal riot breaks out after a bomb is thrown at police violently dispersing protesters. Although little comes of the Haymarket Affair itself, the international fallout and ensuing trial of 8 anarchists marks a turning point in the world labor movement. Growing dissatisfaction with the current world order and an increasingly radicalized labor movement will soon change Russia, and the world, forever.

Seconding this. Fantasy prophecy poo poo is boring, let's try to gently caress up the 20th century instead.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

So Magic and Prophecy vs destroying history.

The Dual narrative is winning so far, but I'll let this run a little longer.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Name/Sex - Jenny Hopper / female

- 1979, the day Thatcher was first elected, Acton, London

Who are our characters parents - Herbert Hopper, local butcher, taking over the family business about 5 years ago and happy with his lot in life; and Bernadette Hopper, part-time typist (on new-fangled flexitime since the pregnancy) at an office doing boring business from a boring brutalist building. Is considering taking an OU course in psychology or adult education - she hasn't decided yet.

What great event has occurred to herald the arrival of our hero(ine)? - Several angular amber rocks apparently fell from the sky in front of a mural of a dragon at a primary school in Acton. They look man-made but authorities can only describe the inexplicable as a "remarkably uniform set of geodes, meteoric in origin". Some suspect there's more to it than that.

Oh, and Thatcher got elected for the first time. Talk about ill omens.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 22, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh man I really want to vote for the Enterprise now.... I can't quite bring myself to withdraw mine (YET) but poo poo if it ain't genius. Can we do ranked choice voting?

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 22, 2017

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Honestly I'd be happy with anything suggested, I just wanted to type something up for this

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Name/Sex :

Newport News, Virginia

Who are our characters parents?

Secretary of the Navy Claude A. Swanson and his wife, Lulie Swanson

What great event has occurred to herald the arrival of our hero(ine)?

October 3rd, 1934

Harry Wallace yawned. It was a few minutes past midnight, and he still had six hours to go on his shift. Still, it could have been worse-three years ago, he hadn't had any job at all, and though the hours for a security job were bad, and the pay was worse, Harry was glad to have it.

As he strolled through the empty shipyard, Harry swung his flashlight left and right, tracing the beam across the concrete and steel jungle around him. The Depression had hit the shipyard hard, but there were still plenty of projects in various stages of completion. The biggest of them, of course, was the Enterprise. Over eight hundred feet long from bow to stern, and weighing nearly twenty thousand tons, the Enterprise was perhaps the grandest ship Harry had ever seen. He'd watched them lay down the keel less than half a year before, and he'd marveled as the titanic structure had risen up rapidly. Now nearly complete, the ship was scheduled to be launched later that day, before undergoing a lengthy fitting-out and commissioning process.

"Beautiful, ain't she?"

Harry spun around, shocked. In front of him, a strangely dressed man was staring up at the incomplete Enterprise.

"Hey buddy, you're not supposed to be here!" Harry said, approaching the man cautiously.

The man ignored him. "You know, she's gonna have a great career. Absolutely incredible, you wouldn't even believe it."

Harry's mouth twisted into a frown as he tried to understand the man's thick Brooklyn accent. "Buddy, I told you once, I'll tell you again, you're not supposed to be here. You drunk or something?"

Sighing, the man turned to face Harry. Harry immediately froze when he saw the man holding a long, pointed shiv in his right hand. Seeing Harry freeze up, the man laughed and put up his hands. "Oh, don't worry, this isn't for you. This is for some british son-of-a-bitch, in case he lets anything bad happen to her." He pointed his thumb back at the dark carrier.

"Still," he said, "I've been here long enough. Just wanted to get a good look at her, you know? Like watchin' your kid being born." Sliding the shiv into his pocket, the man walked up, and patted Harry on the shoulder. "Just take good care of her for me."

With that, the man walked off into the darkness. A half-minute after he disappeared, Harry found the courage to begin moving again, and quickly ran back to the nearest security checkpoint. Within an hour, a dozen armed security guards swarmed the yard where the man had last been seen. In spite of their efforts, however, they found no sign of the man. All they found was a small, sharpened improvised knife, with a large, elegant letter E carved into the blade.

Second

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This one's not been done before afaik

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
We could combine them. The Prophesied aircraft carrier foretold by legends, its construction aided by cultists of a dark god.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
i just really want to see what a grey hunter kancolle looks like

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'll be honest I'm kinda surprised the Enterprise option hasn't already been picked by GM fiat, it's that good.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, I think I'll go with the Entrprise, as it has the most individual votes - I had to think how I would run the story.

I'll get writing/researching now. We will probibly diverge from history a fair bit, but I have a start in mind.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
Just about to vote for the big E and it's already a done deal.
Good on you Grey.

srusnak102
Apr 13, 2015
I second the USS Enterprise CV 6 Yorktown class. Sadly Grey will have it sunk by two weeks into the war.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Name/Sex: Falcon-Chun. F-16 Fighter Jet/Female. I don't know what the difference between a male and a female F-16 is.

Where is our character born?: The General Dynamics Lockheed Martin Central Offices in Virginia.

Who are our characters parents: A team of engineers at the General Dynamics Lockheed Martin Central Offices in Virginia.

What great event has occurred to herald the arrival of our hero(ine)? All of the F-16 folk are in danger of being replaced by a newer, better model of plane! Some of our friends have already disappeared, taken away forever...

Edit: God loving dammit. Someone beat me to this idea by picking an aircraft carrier!?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
If it's any consolation, we already know how your entry was going to end.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

16 July 1934 - Conception.

The slipway was bare, but the first shipment of steel had arrived. the men were checking the plans and discussing the moves. then the first pieces of steel were welded together. While at this time the hull was still known by the rather dry “CV-6” denoting the sixth carrier built by the US forces, This hull would soon be known as the USS Enterprise.

3 October 1936 - Birth.

Most births don’t involve hitting the head of th the child with a bottle of champagne, but then again, most children are not made of tens of thousand tonnes of steel.

The USS Enterprise slid from the slipway where it had been constructed and into the sea. The second of the Yorktown class carriers, she was America’s next step in building a strong navy. There were many who said that she should have been built as a battleship, that carriers were expensive and unproven in war.but the Enterprise was here to prove them wrong.

There were still many months of work ahead. The ship needed much more work before a shakedown cruise could even be attempted.

12th May 1938 - Age 1 year 7 months.

In many ways, the commissioning ceremony was less impressive than the launch. The Enterprise has been outfitted with all the latest systems, and everything had been outfitted.

She was an impressive beast.

quote:

Displacement:
19,800 tons standard
25,500 tons full load

Length:
770 ft (234.7 m) waterline
824 ft 9 in (251.4 m) overall

Beam:
83 ft 3 in (25.4 m)
109 ft 6 in (33.4 m) overall

Speed: 32.5 knots (60.2 km/h; 37.4 mph)
Range: 12,500 nmi (23,200 km; 14,400 mi) at 15 knots

Complement: 2,217 officers and men

Armament:
8 × single 5 in/38 cal guns
4 × quad 1.1 in/75 cal guns
24 × .50 caliber machine guns
From April 1942:
8 × 5 in/38 cal
4 × quad 1.1 in/75 cal
30 × 20 mm Oerlikon cannons

Armor:
2.5–4 in belt
60 lb protective decks
4 in bulkheads
4 in side and 2 in top round conning tower
4 in side over steering gear

Aircraft carried: 90 aircraft Aviation facilities:
3 × elevators
2 × flight deck hydraulic catapults
1 × hangar deck hydraulic catapults

Now they were ready to put to sea for the first trials - and not a moment too soon it seemed, as it looked like Europe would erupt into war at any moment now. Things were also looking bad in the pacific as Japan's war with China was horrifying people with reports of massive civilian losses.

Now the crew of the Enterprise awaited their first captain. the man who would be given the job of whipping the crew into shape and getting them working as a well oiled team.

Who is the new captain?

(while two are historical captains, like many things, I’m taking some licence.)

Captain Newton H. White - The career captain - White is nothing special, and strikes a fine balance between training and tactics.

b) Captain Charles A. Pownall - The Trainer - Pownall is all about the training of the crew. There are concerns on how he will fare in combat.

c) Captain Greyson “the Shiv” Hunter. - “That Limey guy” - Hunter is as aggressive as they come, he may not be the best when it comes to training the men, but he is cool and calm under pressure, and writes good reports for the papers back home.

d) The write in.

Sorry this took so long - I was away this weekend, and the free time I thought I would have never materialized, but I wanted to get it out today because of a certain other event.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
How could it be anything but C? We'll get her sunk home in time for Christmas!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Sail the seven C's. Seriously how the hell could we pick anyone else.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

C

It's right in the name: CV-6!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Voting C, as in "all hands lost at"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
We must keep the Enterprise away from any and all British influences. That's why I'm voting B-the ship and its crew must be well-prepared for the long war ahead.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
C. It's gotta be.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Captain G. Hunter will command lots of brave C-men.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I C a marvelous future for the big E.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Protest B vote.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The New Boss

Captain Hunter was a name all knew, formerly a junior officer in the Royal Navy, he had fought at Jutland before emigrating to the States and joining the Royal Navy. He was an Englishman amongst Americans and well known for his eccentricities.

He was also known for being a great combat officer - at Jutland he had taken control of his damaged destroyer after the bridge had been hit and had continued to fight the ship for several hours until the damage proved catastrophic and he was forced to abandon ship. He was, however, considered to reckless by his peers and once it became clear that his aggressive style would not gain him rapid promotion in the post war years, he moved over the the US Navy where his style was more appreciated.

He had quickly become a proponent of air power, and had championed its use. Now he was seen as the man to take command of the Enterprise, although many worried about giving such a powerful ship to a man known to make rash decisions.

12th May 1938

He walked the gangplank with a unconceled smile on his face. While this was only to be a shakedown cruise, he was now in command. Behind him came his bat-man, Wayne, who carried with him the Captain's most important possessions. The rest would be loaded soon, but somethings were too valuable to be left with sailors.

The crew had been formed to meet him, dress whites as afforded the situation. He was piped aboard and saluted his new XO James Koffman. They had met before, but this was the first formal occasion.

Once the rest of the coming aboard ceremony was over, and he had had chance to freshen up, he called a meeting in the currently empty chart room.

“Gentlemen.” He began. “We have a lot of work ahead of us. While the ship may be ready, the crew is unused to her, and we need to come up with our strategy…..

Current skill levels

Navigation - 40% (Ship control)
Deck Crew - 40% (Aircraft handling)
Gunnery - 40% (Defensive weapons)
Damage Control - 40% (guess)
Engineering - 40% (General maintance)

We have 10% total we will be adding at this time, how should we split it - this is the first of several training missions, and we have no planes on board yet.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
10% to Deck Crew, easy to practice without those pesky planes in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

We're an aircraft carrier, we carry aircraft. Our primary focus should reflect that, all 10 points into deck crew.

• Locked thread