Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
All Star means "people who are available and willing that were also popular enough to be a draw and/or liked by production". It isn't like sports where you typically look for top players. Obviously winners and runner ups will also likely be popular, but the majority is always going to have a bunch of middle of the road players who were "memorable" by producer standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
All Star Cast

Will Kirby
Nicole Franzel
Dan Gheesling
Janelle Pierzina
Derrick Levasseur
Rachel Reilly
Dick Donato
Britney Haynes
Jeff Schroeder
Danielle Reyes
Jessie Godderz
Vanessa Rousso
Paul Abrahamian
Chicken George
Julie Chen

I can dream

Bloops Crusts fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 22, 2017

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

They should get Johnny Bananas and Wes from the Challenge to be on Celebrity Big Brother.

I'd be down to watch that regardless of who else was on it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Read a CBS interview with Paul and he still spouted the line about not promising anyone to throw his game. Literally no acknowledgement of lying to people's faces.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I read/watched a couple of interviews and it seems clear he has no intention/ability to admit he hosed up, overplayed, and shouldn't have lied about his game. I saw at least one question that directly asked him if he should have come clean about his game being "shady" and he just dismisses it and goes back to his "they're just all mad I didn't carry them to the end." He's clearly not capable of seeing a version of this where he hosed up and could have done better so he's going into the Russell "I thought they'd vote fairly for the best game but I guess not."

I'd still really like to see someone just point blank ask "Why did you lie to Jason in his goodbye message? Did you really think no one would tell him the truth? Like not even the other people who knew after you sent them to the jury house too?" Sadly reality show media doesn't seem like a terribly hard hitting field of journalism.

I did see one interviewer directly ask why he called Josh telling the truth in his goodbye messages "cowardly." Paul naturally distorted it and claimed Josh was lying and blaming everything on him and Christmas. Besides that not being true the interviewer asked how that was any different from what Paul did and Paul didn't seem to have much of an answer. Paul seems like he's just going to tell himself what he needs to to avoid saying "I was wrong."

Max
Nov 30, 2002

This is the Russel side of his not being able to win, since he sees no flaw in how he played. Amanda at least recognizes that she is terrible in final speeches.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its tough to get to the finals twice and lose both. At least Amanda can say she got beat by two of the strongest winners in Survivor history. If Russell were more humble he could make peace with the fact that the second time he got beat by the G.O.A.T. Paul's gotta wrap his mind around losing to two pretty weak winners and juries that just plain didn't want him to win.

It gets tough when different groups of people are all drawing the same conclusion about you and you don't want to accept it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Bloops Crusts posted:

All Star Cast

Will Kirby
Nicole Franzel
Dan Gheesling
Janelle Pierzina
Derrick Levasseur
Rachel Reilly
Dick Donato
Britney Haynes
Jeff Schroeder
Danielle Reyes
Jessie Godderz
Vanessa Rousso
Paul Abrahamian
Chicken George
Julie Chen

I can dream

I'd be down with that. But replace Julie with Natalie and George with one of the Brigade.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 23, 2017

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Your Taint posted:

I'd be down with that. But replace Julie with Natalie and George with one of the Brigade.

In true monkey paw/magic lamp fashion, you end up with Natalie from BB9 since you did not specify.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
To understand Paul's idiotic comments to Jason, you gotta remember, he had just pulled off one of the greatest moves in reality show history.. orchestrating an injured woman winning a sprinting competition. He got high on his own supply and thought his poo poo didn't stink.

Some of it is just core Paul though.. you don't call people your puppets and expect them to respond positively.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Also realize, the biggest accomplishment in that Christmas win, was him convincing Alex to throw it. He didn't convince Josh of anything since he was working with him and was one of the 2 people Paul wanted to throw to, and Kevin and Raven had no game of their own and thought they were super tight with Paul. Kevin was some what resistant but he ultimately did it because he has no game of his own. Alex thought she was tight with Paul too, but being someone who can win comps, she had no reason to actually throw it if she WAS tight with Paul and the other two. She was just stupid.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that was the first step in a the string of really horrible decisions by Alex that really tanked her game. Throwing that HOH at a crucial part of the game just after Jason had betrayed Maven and caused a lot of strife, trusting Paul that Jason was a pawn even as Christmas all but said he was a target, blowing the DE HOH at Paul's behest, and then trusting Paul to win POV to save both of them.

It's why Alex was SO burnt by Paul's betrayal because she realized how big a fool he made of her and how much she foolishly trusted him at her own cost. Paul wasn't able to see that and made it all Bout him. "I can't save you like I promised or it will hurt me, and why do you expect me to throw my game away for you?". Paul never understood that you can't manipulate and embarrass someone that badly and then just expect them to be grateful and coldly rational.

And of course he lied to her on top of it. So the embarrassment just continues.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
I'm fairly certain what sunk Paul wasn't any of those game moves, it was the hubris and lying after the fact.

Players give such long-winded speeches at finale... It's wasted words. Paul could have spoken five sentences, sat back down, and won the game. A apology and a genuine statement of remorse for what he did to Alex/Jason... Words of respect for Cody, and the acknowledgement that he needed to get him out, as he was the biggest threat in the house... Heartfelt regret if indeed he contributed to bullying culture, not stone-faced denial... An acknowledgement that he did betray them all, that he hurt them all, and that he's sorry for it, and if they can't bring themselves to vote for him he understands, but he's asking for their vote because he played the game he felt he had to play.

If instead of rattling off his accomplishments logically, he had appealed to the jurors on an emotional level and bared his humanity a little, he might have won.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Ya, he could have buttered them up, but he didn't. He had no awareness of the jury, or just didn't think of them highly enough to talk. You see people's reaction in comments sections and on social media saying how the jury members were just bitter and he played a better game. However, jury management is one of the biggest parts of the game and he didn't give it a second thought other than thinking people wouldn't like Josh for his antics earlier in the game that had basically fizzled out weeks prior to jury. He had a big hole in his game.

His lack of awareness afterwards on why he lost is humorous. He thinks he is on Derrick's level, but Derrick planned everything out, especially jury reactions. He was a much bigger puppet master without leaving anyone feeling betrayed. When they realized it was him, they respected him.

Paul definitely does not belong on any all star lists because his game is overplayed at this point. He won't have the same sheep to manipulate in an all star cast and would get outplayed by people who are better at physical comps, he'd probably be out within 5 weeks after the stronger physical comp beasts get each other out first.

Even someone like Derrick who I think played the best game in BB history, I don't think his approach would work in an All Star cast since people would know it and he isn't a comp beast either to protect himself.

Oh well, every year I tell my wife I am done watching the show (and I truly mean it, I have zero desire to watch the show at the beginning of each season because I know no one will top Derrick's performance and the casts these past couple seasons haven't been that good), but then every year she starts watching it and ropes me in.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It's really funny going back and watching Paul's answer to the question "who was the hardest to evict" and he gives a really lame "I dunno" answer that you can see people actively rolling their eyes to in the Jury.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Victorkm posted:

They should get Johnny Bananas and Wes from the Challenge to be on Celebrity Big Brother.

I'd be down to watch that regardless of who else was on it.

This is brilliant.

Johnny and Camila.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I'd love to see BB Survivor edition, but I am so out of touch with Survivor at this point that I probably wouldn't recognize most of who they'd pick. I would also watch Survivor for a Survivor: Big Brother edition.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I feel like being able to eat food and not having such a grueling schedule will gently caress with all of them.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

sportsgenius86 posted:

This is brilliant.

Johnny and Camila.

I also had this thought. Wes would probably be first boot in a Johnny and Wes scenario, if other celebs didn't eclipse whatever Bananas has that makes everyone throw their challenge games away to him every season. Camila in a house where no one could get away from her when she was drunk and no producers on hand to hold her back....She'd be ejected the first night they provided them alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Congrats to Josh for winning this season.

I'll leave the spoiler discussion thread open for now.

I'll open a new episode discussion thread for BB Celebrity Edition this winter once we know what format it will take.

• Locked thread