Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Pawn 17 posted:

It was Ted Kaczynski, the unibomber. That, or he was pretending to be Zodiac.

http://unazod.com/eureka.html

I dunno, random murder of teens for sport doesn't really fit in with the Unabombers unimpeachable sociopolitical ideology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Waltzing Along posted:

Why don't we have any exciting serial killers any more?

Is it because law enforcement is that much better?
Is it because we are constantly monitored so it is harder to get away with things?
Is it because years of profiling have given us insight into what to look for at younger ages?
Is it because all the good people to serial kill are already dead?

be the change you want to see in this world

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

It's Lord Buckethead.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

anymore of this?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Waltzing Along posted:

Is it because we are constantly monitored so it is harder to get away with things?
Is it because years of profiling have given us insight into what to look for at younger ages?

I think it was just one of those fads of the seventies that no one really understands, like the pet rock.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Tricky D posted:

I think it was just one of those fads of the seventies that no one really understands, like the pet rock.

I think the crazy right-wingers ran out of good targets and just started killing randomly

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

I can buy that modern-day forensics and poo poo makes the serial killers of the olden days that taunted police and evaded capture for decades a thing of the past mostly. Like you watch any of those shows about how they caught some killer and it's "oh well we found one tiny speck of dandruff at the scene and that led us right to the creep ezy"

Universe Master posted:

Kids today all got ADD and can't focus enough for a good long serial killer campaign and try to rush it with spree killing.

this makes sense too

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Peek through the pines

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Waltzing Along posted:

It's a combination of the first few. Many kids these days are monitored earlier when their behavior is out of control, and we medicate them to autistic peacefulness. Forensics has come a long way since the prolific ones such as Dahmer, BTK, Zodiac, etc. So they're much easier to catch.

But one of the major factors is that law enforcement generally don't give the media information on them any more. Media coverage feeds the ego's of serial killers big time, so many murders of a serial nature intentionally go unreported to the media. Another sad factor in this is that many of the victims are homeless, sex workers, or other "high risk" targets the media is generally disinterested in.

But in case you were wondering, there are 25-50 active serial killers in the US right now!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
it's because serial killers are smarter these days

They've seen the CSI shows and know they gotta be careful as heck or else they'll get busted

Thousands of people go missing every year. A lot of them probably end up in some psychos basement

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Zzulu posted:

it's because serial killers are smarter these days

They've seen the CSI shows and know they gotta be careful as heck or else they'll get busted

Thousands of people go missing every year. A lot of them probably end up in some psychos basement

The hardest ones to catch are the ones who murder people with a truly random pattern. Son of Sam was one of these types.

To echo the above, a lot of times these guys aren't Dexter - level geniuses they are made out to be. BTK was caught he asked the cops if they could trace a floppy disk back to anything, the cops said it was 100% untraceable to send them a floppy disk, which he did, and they traced it back to a church group.

Here's a glimpse inside the mind of the brilliant, sophisticated psychopath known as the Son of Sam:

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

gary oldmans diary posted:

lol it still parses and you dont even realize. look at your self pwn

No you have to say those who think

Hey guys check out my secret code
*smears poo poo all over the walls*

Bet you'll never guess what I was trying to communicate

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

But in case you were wondering, there are 25-50 active serial killers in the US right now!

Technically every soldier is a serial killer :smugbert:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Picture I took of The Zodac Killer

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

It's a combination of the first few. Many kids these days are monitored earlier when their behavior is out of control, and we medicate them to autistic peacefulness. Forensics has come a long way since the prolific ones such as Dahmer, BTK, Zodiac, etc. So they're much easier to catch.

But one of the major factors is that law enforcement generally don't give the media information on them any more. Media coverage feeds the ego's of serial killers big time, so many murders of a serial nature intentionally go unreported to the media. Another sad factor in this is that many of the victims are homeless, sex workers, or other "high risk" targets the media is generally disinterested in.

This makes sense. Where do you get the 25-50 from?

Also, not telling the media prevents panics. Nowadays with social media people would go out of control and start attacking anyone and everyone in "self-defense."

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I applied a differential equation filter over the cipher, then took the results and arranged the remaining symbols by their aura. It spelled out: "SEND NUDES" which I don't think is right.....

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Waltzing Along posted:

Also, not telling the media prevents panics. Nowadays with social media people would go out of control and start attacking anyone and everyone in "self-defense."

It was from a People magazine article a few years back.

"John Douglas, a former chief of the FBI’s Elite Serial Crime Unit and author of Mind Hunter notes that, “A very conservative estimate is that there are between 25 and 50 active serial killers in the United States” at any given time."

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
also b/c we no longer put lead in our gas and paint and everything. most boomers and poo poo have significant brain damage from lead and more violent impulses and poo poo which was party why crime was a lot higher in 70s-80 than today.

personally i think it would be good to bring back leaded gas so we could go on violent brain damaged streaks, but democrats have to ruin everything ughh

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Xaris posted:

also b/c we no longer put lead in our gas and paint and everything. most boomers and poo poo have significant brain damage from lead and more violent impulses and poo poo which was party why crime was a lot higher in 70s-80 than today.

personally i think it would be good to bring back leaded gas so we could go on violent brain damaged streaks, but democrats have to ruin everything ughh

This is mostly wrong, I'm suspecting.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

richard leigh Allen

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
it's all just a bunch of gibberish that is unintentionally decipherable to lead the police on a red herring fishing trip so they devote more manpower into deciphering clues that aren't there.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

weak wrists big dick posted:

it's all just a bunch of gibberish that is unintentionally decipherable to lead the police on a red herring fishing trip so they devote more manpower into deciphering clues that aren't there.

This is the most likely answer, but figure it out anyway. We're close, I can feel it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pawn 17 posted:

It was Ted Kaczynski, the unibomber. That, or he was pretending to be Zodiac.

http://unazod.com/eureka.html

quote:

Accompanying the suspected 1990 missive was the above photocopy of two post office box keys attached by a small chain to a small pocket magnet. To date, no satisfactory explanation has been offered as to the significance of either keys or magnet.

Interesting, however, is the fact that the words "keys" and "chain" contain every letter in the name KACZYNSKI — with the exception of a "Z."

Lest this be considered merely fanciful, consider that the word "Zodiac" contains five of the letters found in "Ted Kaczynski." Consider also that the name "Theodore Kaczynski" contains all the letters found in the words "the Zodiac," while every one of the letters in "the Zodiac," is found in "Theodore Kaczynski." Further, the salutation "the Zodiac speaking" contains every letter in "Ted Kaczynski" with the exception of a "y." Only four letters, "h," "p" "o" and "g" are superfluous.

Lmao this is some numerology level bullshit

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

did you know lincoln and Kennedy were the same person? Check this out:

quote:

Abraham Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846.
John F. Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946.

Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.
John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960.

The names Lincoln and Kennedy each contain seven letters.

Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.

Both wives lost their children while living in the White House.

Both Presidents were shot on a Friday.

Both were shot in the head.

Lincoln’s secretary, Kennedy, warned him not to go to the theatre.
Kennedy’s secretary, Lincoln, warned him not to go to Dallas.

Both were assassinated by Southerners.

Both were succeeded by Southerners.

Both successors were named Johnson.

Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, was born in 1808.
Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.

John Wilkes Booth was born in 1839.
Lee Harvey Oswald was born in 1939.

Both assassins were known by their three names.
Both names are comprised of fifteen letters.

Booth ran from the theater and was caught in a warehouse.
Oswald ran from a warehouse and was caught in a theater.

Booth and Oswald were assassinated before their trials.

!!!!!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I hate it when God reuses old plot lines.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Waltzing Along posted:

I think the real explanation is that the news nowadays focuses on spree killings/terrorist attacks. So the panic is still there, just targeted differently

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
GBS was serial killed by Ozma

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
In 2019, a reimagining of the Zodiac myth will probably be brought to the silver screen by WB.

The new story being that the truth is that for a period of time about 40 years ago the West Coast was secretly protected by a superhero named Zodiac who pretends to be a serial killer in order to hunt down and draw out the real killers and monsters that exist and would dispose of the evidence of their existence.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Blue Train posted:

Lmao this is some numerology level bullshit

It seems just as likely as anything. He was an untreated schizophrenic and Zodiac was certainly schizophrenic as well. Kaczynski has a PhD in math and had a thing for ciphers. He also had ties to the Bay Area and lived in Berkeley during the first period of the killings.

I mean, how may schizophrenic mass murderer math nerds with the same handwriting could there have been in the Bay Area at that time? :wth:

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i've solved the puzzle and it says if you solve it then youre gay, which would explain why nobody ever admitted to have solved it

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Maya Fey posted:

i've solved the puzzle and it says if you solve it then youre gay, which would explain why nobody ever admitted to have solved it

I disagree, San Francisco at that time had flocks of people coming here to claim they solved it.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
while I hate trump, it was really funny when he consistently owned ted cruz with the zodiac killer line

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

That Robot posted:

while I hate trump, it was really funny when he consistently owned ted cruz with the zodiac killer line

who the heck is trump

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

weak wrists big dick posted:

who the heck is trump

That business guy with a funny toupee. I think he had a reality tv show or something?

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Pawn 17 posted:

It seems just as likely as anything. He was an untreated schizophrenic and Zodiac was certainly schizophrenic as well. Kaczynski has a PhD in math and had a thing for ciphers. He also had ties to the Bay Area and lived in Berkeley during the first period of the killings.

I mean, how may schizophrenic mass murderer math nerds with the same handwriting could there have been in the Bay Area at that time? :wth:

Kaczynski wasn't schizophrenic he was a prophet

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

walgreenslatino posted:

Kaczynski wasn't schizophrenic he was a prophet

They tried to paint him as schizophrenic to discredit him

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Wasn't he an MKULTRA subject?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yes

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
So maybe the CIA was behind the Zodiac murders :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

fruit on the bottom posted:

Wasn't he an MKULTRA subject?

He was a participant in an extreme and unethical Harvard human psychological study which may have traumatized him, I don't think there is any known CIA involvement in those experiments though

edit: Oh lol the directing psychologist was a lieutenant colonel and psych researcher for the OSS under Wild Bill Donovan, great

walgreenslatino fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 20, 2017

• Locked thread