Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Kelly James the Aware

Get a cop drunk enough in Vancouver and they'll tell you their weird rear end story. Perps with the strength of ten men, burglars who walk through the wall of a house to get in. Dealers with product that makes you see the future. I thought they were full of crap, that it was the usual round of wind up the newbie but now I'm not so sure..

quote:

Name: Kelly James
Look: Female, Caucasian , Uniform Clothing
Demeanour: Serene

Stats:

Blood: -1
Heart: 1
Mind: 2
Spirit: 0

Factions

Mortality: 1
Night: 0
Power: 1
Wild: 0

Aware Corruption Move:

When you ignore your mortal responsibilities to deal with the supernatural, mark corruption

Intimacy Move

When you share a moment of intimacy—physical or emotional—with someone
who isn’t mortal, mark corruption

End Move

When you die, each character chooses whether your death inspires or corrupts
a part of their being. If it inspires, they erase a corruption advance they’ve taken
(if any). If it corrupts, they immediately take a corruption advance.

Moves

Snoop:

When you keep an eye out for trouble, roll with Mind. On a 10+,
hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 1. While you’re there, spend your hold to ask the
MC questions, 1 for 1:
• What’s my best way in/out?
• Who or what here is not what they seem?
• What happened here recently?
• What here is the greatest danger to me?
• Whose turf is this?

On a miss, you find yourself in over your head. The MC will tell you why
this is a bad spot.

Sharpshooter:

When you unleash an attack with a firearm, roll with
Mind instead of Blood

I Know a Guy:

When you hit the streets or put a face to a name with
Mortality, roll with Mind instead of Faction

Too Old for this poo poo!: One day from Retirement

When you get caught up in a fight you tried to
prevent, you get armor+1 and take +1 ongoing to seeing yourself and
others to safety

Gear

A simple apartment
A decent car
A smart phone
9mm Smith & Wesson (2-harm close loud)

Debts

Someone told you their secrets and you haven’t told anyone
about them yet. They owe you 2 Debts.

Someone thinks they’re protecting you, but it’s really more like
you’re protecting them. You owe each other a Debt.

You’re leveraging dirt you have on someone to get their help with
something. You owe them a Debt.

quote:

• Who are you?

Police Constable 3rd Class Kelly James currently assigned to the patrol division for the Downtown District. I'm a dammned good cop. Top marks in my class at the academy and with a good career ahead of me till I made the mistake of telling my boss I'd emptied a few bullets into a perp who then got back up and walked it off. a few psych evaluations and some administrative leave later and I'm back on the streets with no prospect of getting that promotion any time soon.

quote:

• How long have you been in the city?

Couple of years now. I grew up in the back of beyond. Got good grades at school and decided I wanted to make a difference in the world so I signed up for the academy. Best decision I ever made I think police work is really rewarding and I feel like I've made an impact there are people that are alive and safe because of me.

quote:

• How did you learn about the supernatural?

Now this is gonna sound crazy but I swear it's true. There I was one night shift on a simple routine patrol when I spotted what looked like your garden variety purse snatching. The first thing that stood out for me was that the two people involved. She was gorgeous and trust me I don't normally swing that way but I mean for her I might make an exception she was hot, like some sort of model or something and the clothes she was wearing probably cost more than I make in a year. He on the other hand looked like your garden variety thug, until you saw the twitching and the cold look in his eyes. I tried to intervene to do my job but he kept wrestling for the bag. That should have tipped me off, normally when a criminal sees you coming they run for it. No one wants to mess with the law but he just smiled at me. Like I was a nuisance, an irritant. I tried to pry him away from her, but he just turned and hit me, I was lucky I managed to twist out of the way at the last second and the blow that should have caved my chest in just grazed a few ribs. So I did the only thing I could do, I pulled my gun and emptied a magazine into him. Hey it was self-defence there was no way I was tangling with someone that strong.

Then things got even crazier. The man changed... Like he seemed to get bigger and even stronger and the look in his eyes wasn't anything I've seen from a human being more like you'd get from a mad dog. I could see him (it?) sizing me up and I knew I didn't stand a chance but I had to do something. Whatever that thing was it could hurt a lot of people. I wish I could say I put up a good fight. But I'd be lying. It was almost embarrassing I'd always scored high marks for my physical hand to hand training but this guy was beyond me. I should have been dead, would have been if the woman hadn't pulled a sword out of mid-air and stabbed the thing through the heart. Yeah you read that right. Out of thin air. Like one minute she held nothing and the next this beautiful looking silver sword and she put it straight through his chest like she knew how to use it. It's at that point I passed out.

When I woke up in the street I thought it was some crazy rear end dream. But my ribs hurt and my gun was empty. I tried explaining what had happened to my superiors but they acted like I was mad. But I know what I saw. I saw the impossible.

quote:

• Why is this city worth saving?

Because there are ordinary decent people in this city. People who just want to do their job, raise a family and enjoy life. And they are being preyed upon and exploited by things that aren't human things that think they're above the law. I'll do my best to change that.

quote:

• What mystery are you currently investigating?

Missing persons case. Kids have been going missing. Kids who should have their whole life ahead of them. The only lead I've got is an old homeless man who claims he saw some pretty boy "rip a hole in the air and open a gateway to hell before dragging a kid through" At one time I would have arrested him for drug use with that story. But after what I've seen he might just be telling the truth. As far as I can tell there's no pattern or link to the kids being taken. But rest assured if I find whose responsible they'll be going down hard.

quote:

1) What does your character fear will happen if they give into corruption

I'm in this job because I believe in the law. I want to make a difference. I want to see those that think they can prey on the innocent and the decent people of this city face justice. But I'm worried that one day I'll lose that that I'll stop caring about justice stop caring about the people I'm sworn to serve. That I'll be as cynical as some of the guys at the precinct who take money to look the other way who let the rich and powerful get away with murder. I think I'd rather be dead than live like that.

quote:

2) Does your character want'a big change in Vancouver and if so what change do they want to have happen

I'm only slowly starting to get a sense about what's really going on in Vancouver about all the hidden things that go bump in the night. All the things that think they are above the law. I want a city where no one is above the law where the innocent aren't playthings and prey of the powerful. A crazy dream perhaps but one worth fighting for.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

[quote="Exmond" post="473618132"

Being a cop is tough, requires sacrifice, but there are those around you that support you. Who supports you and why?
[/quote]

Well part of the reason I took the offer of a place in the big city was to get away from my family, so it's definitely not them dad is half convinced that a police officer and when we do talk pleads for me to find a safer job, while Mom thinks I'm being "corrupted by the big city" Yeah right Mom. I wish I had the time to be corrupted. As for my love life yeah you could call that a sacrifice except that would imply I had anything to sacrifice. Between the odd hours I work and the fact that I'm a cop it turns off most of the decent guys. The fact that the last guy I went on a daeI ended up having to arrest for DUI didn't help. Strangely the one person who does help keep me going when I'm having a bad day is probably my flat mate Beth Hopkins. See when I first arrived in Vancouver I had this old-fashioned idea of being able to afford my own place but have you seen how much it costs to even rent around here? There's no way I could afford a place to myself on my salary. Fortunately I wasn't the only in that boat and I ran into Beth and we hit it off immediately. She's a native of Vancouver and knows it way better than I ever could so she can show me all the cool places to go and she has a wicked sense of humour and seems to know when I need cheering up. I think she sees me as some sort of a project as much as a friend , she keeps trying to set me up with some of the guys she works with over at Copperstone inviting me along to corporate events and such. She says I'm too serious and need to lighten up a bit.

Exmond posted:

Your attention into the supernatural has managed to get you in some hot water with someone. Who is it and why do you think they dislike you?

Ever here the old phrase "An honest cop is one who'll stay bought?" Well Captain Porter down at the precinct isn't so much as bought as rented by the hour. He runs the Vice Squad and has connections and people paying him money from all over the city. I had as little to do with him as possible if there's one thing I despise more than criminals it's corrupt cops. Of course I can't prove anything otherwise I'd rat him out so fast to Internal Affairs but one day he'll slip up and get what he deserves. But that's by the by when I reported my little encounter with the odd and the strange he somehow ended up in charge of the investigation into my "bogeyman story" as it quickly came to be known around the station. On the record he made it clear that I was delusional and needed psychiatric care it was what he did off the record that was interesting. He offered me a bribe to keep quiet. I told him where he could shove his blood money and now he really has it in for me. I think someone in the supernatural community is paying him to discredit anyone in the department telling the wrong kind of stories. People like me the only question is who or what is paying him?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Debts

quote:

Someone told you their secrets and you haven’t told anyone
about them yet. They owe you 2 Debts.

I probably shouldn't tell you this but one of the cops in my department isn't human. I first met Sergeant William Goldsmith when he was one of my mentors in my first days on the job. I looked up to him he was everything a cop should be honest, tough and absolutely dedicated to seeing justice done. He taught me all the things my training didn't cover and how to be an honest cop in a police force where corruption might as well be a way of life. I might never have known he wasn't human if it wasn't for that mugger stabbing him with an iron blade when we were on patrol together. He dropped the illusion and i saw his face. His real face. He explained it to me, he's some sort of Faery who ended up estranged from his people and that he swore an oath to uphold justice in this city and protect the defenceless. He pleaded with me not to tell anyone because being a police officer, upholding his Oath was all he had left. So despite the fact that he lied to me. That he lied to all of us I've kept his secret because he may not be the good "man" I thought he was but that doesn't change that he's a good person.

quote:

Someone thinks they’re protecting you, but it’s really more like
you’re protecting them. You owe each other a Debt.

Yeah and don't think I'm entirely happy about assisting someone in breaking the law. But I do owe Allana my life so I'll look the other way just this once. See I'd got a call about a particularly nasty murder where the corpse had been dismembered and cut into pieces which had been arranged "artistically" around what looked like some sort of shape. I'd call it a pentagram but they're star shaped right? this was all wobbly lines and it was hard to get a look at it properly. And in the middle of the carnage was a woman poking about like she owned the place. Messing with my crime scene, tampering with my evidence. Forensics would go apeshit if I let her get away with that. I had my cuffs out all ready to drag her rear end away when I felt it as much as saw it. Hate and rage for what exactly I couldn't say but it felt like the whole world. Then it came through the wall all teeth and claws. I tried shooting it but I might as well have not bothered for all the good it did. It would have killed me if Allana hadn't have stepped up. She did... something and next thing I knew the thing was a smear on the ground. If it wasn't for her I would have been dead and I knew it. So I made sure all the records of her presence at the scene disappeared. I guess she used magic to kill it. Because if vampires and zombies are real then that poo poo has to be too I guess. Great just when I thought this city couldn't get any weirder...

quote:

You’re leveraging dirt you have on someone to get their help with
something. You owe them a Debt.

apparently the supernatural world doesn't like to deal with Mortal criminals after all if police officers were poking around it'd make things inconvenient. I remember when Shin Hye was just a street punk with delusions of grandeur. Now she's a vampire apparently and not the sparkly pretty boy kind but if her new friends knew she had a rap sheet three miles long they might not be so keen to deal with her. Meanwhile I have an informant who can give me details on the supernatural street and all it costs me is not letting her new friends know. As for the rest well let's just say I'm stocking up on garlic and crucifixes in case she proves less than co-operative.

Starting faction roll

quote:

Kelly James (Ferrosol) - Today at 4:17 @Shin-Hye (Tricky) also pick a faction for me to roll
Shin-Hye (Tricky) - Today at 4:17 PM gotta be power!
Kelly James (Ferrosol) - Today at 4:17 PM since a vampire gangbanger is about as untrustworthy as they get
Shin-Hye (Tricky) - Today at 4:17 PM haha
Kelly James (Ferrosol) - Today at 4:24 PM There's a power struggle on the Wizard's council. How badly did I get involved?
/r 2d6+1
SidekickBOT - Today at 4:25 PM @Kelly James (Ferrosol): 2d6+1 = (2+5)+1 = 8

Supposedly the Wizards of this city are governed by some sort of council. I got word from my informant *cough* Shin Hye *cough*. That they're having some sort of power struggle over something. She tried to explain it to me and I didn't get it but from what I gather it's old farts arguing over whose got the biggest wand. I'd leave them to it if they kept it between the two of them but no apparently it's spilling onto the streets there's been brawls and some property damage by people taking one or the other side. I got in the way of what looked like a punishment beating on some guy dressed in a business suit by a gang of thugs. Turns out magic doesn't do you much good when you take a police baton to the stomach. The guy seemed incredibly grateful and gave me a business card with a number on. Said if I ever needed assistance that someone calling themselves Isabella the Red would owe me one. But he did warn me that the guy behind the beating would likely not be happy with me for getting involved and I should watch my back because Elias the Exalted has a a long memory for people who crossed him. Seriously where do these guys get their names? I guess all that Hogwarts poo poo rots your brain. But I'm sure someone with a name like the Exalted has better things to worry about than one street cop...

• Locked thread