Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

EDIT: Making a Wizard! Slowly! Still working on this.

Alanna Reynolds, the Wizard

quote:

Who are you?

Alanna Reynolds, wizard in good standing with the Council of Twelve. In the technical sense, at least. The Council of Twelve only really knows I exist because of some recent work. Also, do some gigs to make up any time being a wizard isn't exactly paying very well. Find some missing things, stand menacingly while conjuring fire, I'd like to think I'm pretty multi-talented.

quote:

How long have you been in the city?

A decade, give or take. Wizards live longer than the mundane, so after a few years, things sort of blur together time-wise. It's a good city to put down roots.

quote:

What keeps you up at night?

I don't think you mean my rowdy neighbors down the hall. There's a lot of power floating around the city. Political, supernatural and where those two cross. I won't say that there aren't any good people in that mad scramble to grab what they can, but there's definitely a few people that I know have some and plan to do nothing good with it. The more I learn, the less easy my sleep is.

quote:

What have you sacrificed for your power?

A normal life, any sense of innocence about what's really happening. The problem with being born a wizard is that there's some power there from the very beginning. Raw, untrained power. From a young age, if you're taught anything, it's that people will use that power for their own ends. So you adapt, and by the time you're thirty, you realize you've made maybe a half-dozen friends and three dozen enemies. And that's assuming you aren't trying to fight your way to the top of any food chains.

quote:

What do you desperately need?

Stability. I know I won't ever get normalcy, but if I can go longer than a month or two without thinking of what weird job I'll have to take to make sure I can afford my apartment, my food, what I need day in and day out. It's not like I want luxury, but knowing that I can have a place where I'm safe, sane and taken care of. I don't want to work for the Council, that comes with too many strings, but being able to get comfortable in Vancouver.

quote:

What do you fear will happen if you give into corruption?

That I'll be turned into someone else's weapon. Probably someone with much worse ideas for me than the Council, than even some of the enemies I have now. If I was truly gone, from a spiritual sense? I could unleash everything I have on whoever I wanted? It wouldn't be pretty. Most wizards have a few memories of when they lost control while growing up, and none of them likely want to see that power completely overtake them ever again.

quote:

What change, if any, do you want to happen in Vancouver?

Right now? I'd like to see wizards on the edges of the Council stand up for something. Anything. Some of us do our little parts to keep ourselves fed and sheltered, but we don't have the clout of the Council of Twelve. We don't even need to get that far, just be able to push back a bit in case this DeLuca plan goes sideways.

The Wizard posted:

Name: Alanna Reynolds, the Wizard
Look: Female, Caucasian, Stylish Clothing
Demeanor: Detached

Character Stats:
Blood -1, Heart 1, Mind 1, Spirit 1

Factions
Mortality 1, Night 0, Power 1, Wild 0

Gear
Nice apartment, crappy car, decent cell phone, 9mm Glock (2-harm close loud)

Focus: Small silver wand, inscribed (Gain 1 additional hold when using Channeling)
Sanctum: Storage unit across town (Magical wards, a focus circle, a library of old tomes, an apothecary, contains many volatile substances, it always lacks a key piece or ingredient)

Moves
Channelling:
When you channel and collect your magics, roll with Spirit. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 3 and choose 1 from the list below. On a miss, hold 1, but you cannot Channel again this scene.

* Take -1 ongoing until you rest
* Suffer 1-harm (ap)
* Mark corruption

Your hold lasts until you spend it. You can spend it to cast any spell you have as per the spellís details.

Spells:
* Tracking: Spend 1 hold to learn the location of someone. You must have a personal object that belongs to the target or recent leavings of their body (a lock of hair, fingernail clippings, their blood, etc.).
* Shielding: Spend 1 hold to provide armor+1 to yourself or someone nearby, or spend 2 holds to provide armor+1 to everyone in a small area, possibly including yourself. This armor lasts until the end of the scene. You can stack multiple uses of Shielding at once.
* Veil: Spend 1 hold to make yourself invisible from sight for a few moments.

Sanctum Sanctorum: When you go to your Sanctum for a spell ingredient, relic, or tome, roll with Spirit. On a 10+, youíve got pretty much just the thing. On a 7-9, youíve got something close, but itís flawed or lacking in some significant way. On a miss, you donít have what youíre looking for, but you know someone who probably has it in stock.

Debts:
ĽĽ Someone is helping you keep your demons at bay. You owe them a Debt.
ĽĽ Someone is your go-to when you get into trouble. You owe them 2 Debts.
ĽĽ You are helping someone keep a dangerous secret. They owe you a Debt.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at Jun 20, 2017 around 01:57

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Exmond posted:

Alanna: Hey you tried to live a normal life, and it exploded in your face. Unfortunately it also boiled over to your family (your mother was so proud you managed to land that social media manager job) and they got burned. What happened and are they still talking to you?

You know how I mentioned that I learned about how to be a wizard when I was young? It wasn't like I went to some sort of Hogswart's nonsense to learn properly. I took lessons from my dad and my aunt, and it was supposed to be enough to make sure I knew how to control myself and not let things get out of hand. Magic doesn't stay secret by itself. We did a good job, too. We only did spells in private, either in my aunt's garage or in the backyard. I went to university, UBC to make things easier, and I graduated with a degree in Marketing. Not exactly the highest demand work, but it would give me a start and I'd be off to normalville for the rest of my life. Obviously, things veered a bit from there.

It was kinda my fault too, but I didnít really do anything. Just got frustrated with some moving into my new place, and I may have moved some furniture through the empty spaces of the universe. It seems small, but it was caught on camera. The video started making some viral noise, and had to be nipped in the bud by the Council, which meant not only did I owe the Council, but my family did as well. They werenít cruel about it, but they were aggressive and as ethical as youíd expect from a supernatural council of wizards with big political ties.

I couldnít do both my actual job and my Council job at the same time. Well, at least not well enough to keep my actual job. My motherís favorite excuse for it is that my talents are better than a simple social media manager, but that wouldíve been the first step towards an actual career. By the time the Council felt our debt was paid, I hadnít held a real job for nearly 18 months. So, there went my normal life.

My family understands, and we sorted it out. Letís just say that we donít talk about anything mystical at the dinner table anymore. Everyone cares, of course, but itís just too soon right now.

quote:

You learned that there is a lot of power floating around in this city. You ever acted upon it? Met out justice to those who wield it improperly? Or try and grab any of it yourself?

Met out justice? What is this, a comic book? I mean, Iím not a saint or anything, Iíve gotten into a few scraps since working for the Council, but Iím not a vigilante. Anything worth grabbing is usually done with small gangs of people, not a sorceress with a 9mm and a handful of tricks. But artifacts, old magical ones? Yeah, Iíve grabbed a few of those. Usually as happenstance, but you never know when you might need them.

Itís not like I look very hard for them, though. Just keep my ear to the ground, see what pops up and if itís something I might have some use for, something small, I might do some work to try to get it. And yeah, sometimes I hear about someone real crooked who wants to get their hands on something really powerful and I try and sign up on the other side. But thereís no street justice here. Not yet, at least. Thereís enough groups here in Vancouver that if you have a problem with someone, you can find their biggest rival and make some deals.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Debts:

quote:

ĽĽ Someone is helping you keep your demons at bay. You owe them a Debt.

Sal's a great help when it comes to keeping most of my troubles at bay. Not just because she's really good at..well, killing things, to be honest. She really, really hates the Council because of her reasons. They're pretty good reasons, too. Just, you know, keeps me from going over the top with my magical abilities. If I go too far, make the wrong friends? Maybe Sal won't be willing to let me slide. That'd be.. rough.

quote:

ĽĽ Someone is your go-to when you get into trouble. You owe them 2 Debts.

Olivia and I are pretty similar in our situations. We're just trying to get through whatever's next, and she's really good at the future sight. So, we do a lot of quid pro quo stuff, and she's always discreet and helpful. I sometimes wish she had something better than precognition to help out, but sometimes I wish I could throw a proper flame without lighting the thing to the left of the target on fire. We all have our own skillset.

quote:

ĽĽ You are helping someone keep a dangerous secret. They owe you a Debt.

I'm not saying that you'd know the person, or even what I'm talking about, but I'm helping a sidhe by the name of Mirrond the Spring Baron hide something called the Heart of the City. While I couldn't get a straight answer as to what the Heart of the City even does, what it is, all I know is that I've built part of the lock. Maybe the whole lock. It's hard to tell. Faeries who speak only in riddles also make me wish I could burn some things.

Start of Session posted:

Alanna (TLB) - Today at 7:52 PM
Also, @Shin-Hye (Tricky) , Alanna probably trusts Shin-Hye the least, but it was a close toss-up between Shin and Sal.
Shin-Hye (Tricky) - Today at 7:53 PM
haha, fair
let's go with night
SidekickBOT - Today at 8:50 PM
@Alanna (TLB): 2d6 Sewer ghosts rumors = (2+1) = 3

The sewers are an old spot where most of the quiet movement of the city goes. Sure, the subways are neutral, but the sewers used to be a free-for-all before Arcadia started pushing to have his spirits clean it up. Mostly as a show of force, but also to help him move and sell his stuff easier. Long story short, there's some gang rivalry or something going on down there, and Arcadia is threatening to declare open season on any other gang found in the sewers. I didn't really care until someone wanted me to look into the initial incidents: A series of ghosts being banished or otherwise de-ghosted.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at Jun 27, 2017 around 01:23

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Outside of the italics (it's hard to quickly read but it's a personal thing), I like the formatting. The general breakdown is good.

Session length seems about right. It is harder in PbP, so I'm good with whatever as long as it's generally consistent. Overlong sessions can get to be a problem, but this does seem about half-ish way through a session.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Story stuff seems good, despite some of the goofiness: Breakdance fighting seems a bit OTT if that was 100% serious but it wasn't mentioned IC so maybe it's just a metaphor?

Also, it's fine to take things slow and make sure things get done right rather than needing to do something right away. It's the joy of PbP, you don't need to make a decision right away.

Overall, the only other major suggestion I'd have is to ask more questions and build from there. That's a lot of the joy from these games is that it's a collaborative story, and giving players some input on the fiction should be

• Locked thread