Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
YT - Town aligned - Beastmaster/berserker/Samurai/Blue Mage has died from failing to go berserk on day 6!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Added Space - Town -aligned - White Mage/Necromancer/Monk/Cannoneer was killed on night 6!

tnl - scum aligned - Monk/Summoner/Ranger/Samurai has endgamed

TM - town aligned - Bard/Oracle/Necromancer/Summoner

Scum has won!
Survivors also won!

Ok thoughts, there were lots of moving parts in this game and there were some obvious mistakes made on my part, for the most part, i feel it went smoothly.

This was designed to be night action chaos hell and that it was.

The RNG favored scum heavily in a lot of ways, luck of the draw.

Scum was in a bad spot most of the game until an incredibly lucky Odin from tnl on night 4 or 5 I think it was.

If that Odin hadn't have rolled true on all targets it would be a different result I am sure.

FF6 is going to be a lot simpler because this was a lot of work to keep track of.

Observer/setup = https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LUjT5F-7VU5My9MePzzUa_cQ9v1qbphnItmtRJbOTy0/edit#gid=1639471825

scum can share scumdoc if they like.

CapitalistPig fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 11, 2017

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
ok you guys can yell at me and tell me what a trash mod i am now :P :)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

My greatest regret this game

is forgetting to update Poque from pale yellow to green on one of my spreadsheet tabs :3:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Fun game as always. Wish I wouldn't have gotten insta-killed on N4. That hurt. Pre-sign for FF6, please. :)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

no wait, what I meant to say was

Bifauxnen posted:

I hate you all

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:rip:

I have to admit Mithross self-hammering to end the day early and kill YT was probably POTG, well done.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Top ten posters all town + one mislynch. Lurk 2 win. Shameful

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Podima posted:

I have to admit Mithross self-hammering to end the day early and kill YT was probably POTG, well done.

That was really smart. I didn't realize at the time that's what he had done.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Poque posted:

also the necromancy, too bad that ANTI-TOWN KB was so petty and spiteful about making his points unlike my martyr-like self! :angel:

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Podima posted:

Yelled at my phone when I saw that, what a pro play

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

chaoslord posted:

Yelled at my phone when I saw that, what a pro play

Same but computer and podwife asked me what the heck I was angry about.

Added Space don't let this discourage you, keep playing Mafia!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Podima posted:

Added Space don't let this discourage you, keep playing Mafia!

yeah you were really pulling through there at the end

good job thinking better of that LYLO vote on YT, that was a close call

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Bifauxnen posted:

yeah you were really pulling through there at the end

good job thinking better of that LYLO vote on YT, that was a close call

Apologies for that massive shitstorm, but you honestly seemed just too lucky with the one cop.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Paranoia will serve you well in future games, but it's very rare to find a scum team that will tolerate someone faking cop results on a fellow buddy.

Now let's talk about Inf's ENTIRELY FAKE n0 investigation that he made up whole cloth and yet managed to perfectly nail scum. Stopped clock?!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Podima posted:

Paranoia will serve you well in future games, but it's very rare to find a scum team that will tolerate someone faking cop results on a fellow buddy.

Now let's talk about Inf's ENTIRELY FAKE n0 investigation that he made up whole cloth and yet managed to perfectly nail scum. Stopped clock?!

well, I mean, it was Quid, he'd be good to lunch anyway :v:

I can't fault Inf for trying to push that on D1 by any combination of jokeposts and seriousposts possible

it was everyone else (ESPECIALLY KB) acting all "hmmm but what if Inf's n0 cop was real?!" that made my head asplode

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Added Space posted:

Apologies for that massive shitstorm, but you honestly seemed just too lucky with the one cop.

can't really fault this line of thought anymore either tbf

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
I am looking down at this game from my tropical paradise and a single tear runs down my cheek

it's actually my fault I lost the game for town

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Ok, I lied, I fired off Necromancer n2 because people were daring tpink to do it and I thought it was funny.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
leaving aside yt not vigging yesterday, I just want to say how proud YT and TM made me talking through that poo poo in lylo and talking down AS from the ledge

I am adopting you both as my mafiasons

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
Fun fun fun. I thought the game was a shitshow but in a way that was for the large part interesting and easy to follow. Infi, my one regret is not pushing your N0 claim for quid. :cry: thanks to cpig for running; with this many players, roles, etc, I am sure it was a total beast to keep track of.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I stopped reading soon after I was dead because I got frustrated at the implication that I somehow didn't want to play. I specifically got mad because I was playing very hard.

I am glad for the win, although will maintain that multiple daycops swings things very heavily in town's favour in a way I think wasn't accounted for making it balanced against scum. If people believed the bards then between them and the people they confirmed town that was more people than the entire scum team confirmed D1.

I guess town just doing really anti-town things for the majority of the game really balanced it out.

I'm glad I never had to explain my role or actions though since while I was making GBS threads on Kash for causing random deaths I was using my PGO N1 and N2 which is essentially the same thing in a role madness game and I'd just gotten out of a game I claimed PGO in to stop people from visiting.

In any case, I had a lot of fun while it lasted and spending a few hours as confirmed scum was as fun as I had always expected it to be.

PS none of you dare use this game against me when I rely on my meta. This was an exception.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

yeah this was def a town-friendly setup, gg scum

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Praise be to RNGesus. I threw out the Odin move as a hail mary and thought we were lost otherwise. And then I thought we were lost again right up until YT flipped. Scum MVP in my opinion goes to Mithross for ending the day early and depriving the town not just of a kill but of an entire player. He got to one shot IS with a double dark matter mix too, he was the grim reaper of our team.

I think town played a great game and can't really say I deserved to win, I do wish I'd had more time to play especially during the 4th of July weekend. Again we just got extremely lucky. I felt like I was pretty blatantly scum and plenty of people thought I was scummy all game. But if I can credit any one thing I did right it was claiming Time Mage instead of Summoner. I got a lot out of the summoner role all game and while we never got to use it in a lightning rod combo, I still think I got a lot of value off the random kills and certainly off the 5-kill move. Town thought I was scummy but didn't otherwise seem concerned about my claim at all.

Thanks for running the game CPig, I just wish I'd had more time to give to the game earlier.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Here is the Scum doc for any who are interested in reading it.

I am proud of several individual plays I made this game, but not my overall play. I still haven't really pulled together a scum game, and large games really exacerbate the issue. I have trouble with the small stream of consciousness style posting the most verbose players seem to adopt when I'm town, as scum I just can't keep up. I generally build enough traction to at least be respectable by the end of day 3, but in this game I didn't pull it off. I promise I was not actually trying to lurk to win, I would rather pull together an only ok scum game and lose then win by lurking, but I get too self conscious and never end up posting.

My weird posting day 4 was the result of me purposefully trying to be the lynch instead of MMT, without making it obvious that's what I was doing. You see, I was deathproof from a summon the night before (probably). I fired off necromancy and quoting a poem about armageddon. I really wanted to eat that lynch.

That IS kill was the result of an unlisted mix, taken from the ff5 mix list, 2x Dark Matter. We had no idea what it would do but as a team we were in a bad place, so our entire night revolved around an educated guess.

I had that self-hammer typed out and waiting as I got ready for work, I was desperately hoping someone would vote me before YT fired off his berserk.

CPig, do you have a rough ETA for FF6 mafia? I might try and put together FF4:TAY mafia if it's going to be a wait, since you're skipping side games.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Poque posted:

Yup. Going back to only voting lurkers as long as they are in the game. Not sure why I keep not doing this ever.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I had it won.

Goddamn.

I loving had it won.

I don't think I've ever been upset about the results of a mafia game until now.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

King Burgundy posted:

Yup. Going back to only voting lurkers as long as they are in the game. Not sure why I keep not doing this ever.

it doesn't work, mainly

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Bifauxnen posted:

also the necromancy, too bad that ANTI-TOWN KB was so petty and spiteful about making his points unlike my martyr-like self! :angel:

FWIW, even my lesson of necromancy didn't kill anyone, it didn't do anything from what I can tell(it was the frogging one)

But I was right. All the anti town use of powers killed us.

Moatillata posted:

I am looking down at this game from my tropical paradise and a single tear runs down my cheek

it's actually my fault I lost the game for town

Yeah, Moat was LVP. Not only did he use kills instead of cops on N1 and N2, on the night that he knew that cops were being used, he lightning rod'd.

Added Space obviously shouldn't have voted YT at day start, and also obviously shouldn't have voted for Mithross until YT had vigged. But good effort.

Mithross gets scum MVP for capitalizing on AS's mistake.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

rip tremendous taste

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mithross posted:

Here is the Scum doc for any who are interested in reading it.

Quid in scumdoc posted:

this is a p. good scum team. i will pull my weight and not be a lovely!

Asiina in scumdoc posted:

Yeah 3-4 day cops is kinda insane. Especially assuming Inf is telling the truth

:argh:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Asiina posted:

I stopped reading soon after I was dead because I got frustrated at the implication that I somehow didn't want to play. I specifically got mad because I was playing very hard.

I am glad for the win, although will maintain that multiple daycops swings things very heavily in town's favour in a way I think wasn't accounted for making it balanced against scum. If people believed the bards then between them and the people they confirmed town that was more people than the entire scum team confirmed D1.

I guess town just doing really anti-town things for the majority of the game really balanced it out.

I'm glad I never had to explain my role or actions though since while I was making GBS threads on Kash for causing random deaths I was using my PGO N1 and N2 which is essentially the same thing in a role madness game and I'd just gotten out of a game I claimed PGO in to stop people from visiting.

In any case, I had a lot of fun while it lasted and spending a few hours as confirmed scum was as fun as I had always expected it to be.

PS none of you dare use this game against me when I rely on my meta. This was an exception.

I disagree that it was balanced against scum.

Something to keep in mind, is that a scum team that mostly did not play mafia at all, only did night action stuff, won the game. Imagine how easily they could have won if they were ALSO playing mafia. This game was balanced very much for the mafia given a group of players like we have here on SA.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Mithross posted:

My weird posting day 4 was the result of me purposefully trying to be the lynch instead of MMT, without making it obvious that's what I was doing. You see, I was deathproof from a summon the night before (probably). I fired off necromancy and quoting a poem about armageddon. I really wanted to eat that lynch.

FYI this was rodded to Moat. Who died despite that.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

King Burgundy posted:

FYI this was rodded to Moat. Who died despite that.

I'm reading through the dead doc now, and despite tons of talk about that particular night I hadn't realized it included the phoenix. This is the mafia version of thinking you are using blanks and realizing afterwards it was live rounds all along.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

King Burgundy posted:

Something to keep in mind, is that a scum team that mostly did not play mafia at all, only did night action stuff, won the game. Imagine how easily they could have won if they were ALSO playing mafia. This game was balanced very much for the mafia given a group of players like we have here on SA.

It is a bit frustrating that town still lost despite lynching scum so much, but in this game clever use of the job actions was just as much a part of the town's toolkit as the lynch, and on that front we failed miserably.

It's funny how role-heavy stuff is supposed to make it harder for scum to hide, but I think it evens out a bit when you factor in the fact that scum can coordinate their actions while town got no clue what they're doing. This was a bit of an extreme example though. Might not have seem as weighted to the scum if town hadn't repeatedly shot themselves in the foot.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

It is a bit frustrating that town still lost despite lynching scum so much, but in this game clever use of the job actions was just as much a part of the town's toolkit as the lynch, and on that front we failed miserably.

It's funny how role-heavy stuff is supposed to make it harder for scum to hide, but I think it evens out a bit when you factor in the fact that scum can coordinate their actions while town got no clue what they're doing. This was a bit of an extreme example though. Might not have seem as weighted to the scum if town hadn't repeatedly shot themselves in the foot.

I think KB was right, and this game was balanced, but only because it was played here on SA. With another group of players (or a smaller group of more focused players) I think it would have favored town, but there's no way we weren't going to end up with several people using cool powers because they're cool.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Mithross posted:

I think KB was right, and this game was balanced, but only because it was played here on SA. With another group of players (or a smaller group of more focused players) I think it would have favored town, but there's no way we weren't going to end up with several people using cool powers because they're cool.

It's sort of interesting because in FF4 mafia I died as Tellah before I could summon Meteor (20% chance of killing every living player) and as I remember the feedback I got was "hell yeah, you absolutely should have used it the second you got it." In this game, though, opinions are very different on that. With as many roles and deaths flying around, though, I guess it's a slightly different situation.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Idk I thought it would swing to scum's favor since scum basically had a crapton of knowledge about the jobs.

We ended up killing a lot of lurkers again so it could had ended a lot earlier for scum if we didn't just go "gently caress it lets kill afkers".

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

King Burgundy posted:

Welcome to role madness! The town spent a lot of time doing things like Solving the Game and arguing about how each other was dumb for using their night actions poorly. Night actions were the entire backbone of this game. The best way to win a game like this, as scum, is to come up with a claim and use it to blend in as much as possible, to be unremarkable, to be someone people don't think to target with their cop or track actions or roleblocks or what have you.

Not having a full kill bites, I think this setup ended up more balanced than I gave it credit for in the end but that's also largely because we had far more options late game than we did early on. Still, any game where the Mafia can't point at a player to reliably remove someone is a game where the Mafia are at a disadvantage.

And in the end we still won by the skin of our teeth thanks to some very lucky dice rolls and some unexpected full kills.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

The Ninth Layer posted:

Welcome to role madness! The town spent a lot of time doing things like Solving the Game and arguing about how each other was dumb for using their night actions poorly. Night actions were the entire backbone of this game. The best way to win a game like this, as scum, is to come up with a claim and use it to blend in as much as possible, to be unremarkable, to be someone people don't think to target with their cop or track actions or roleblocks or what have you.

Not having a full kill bites, I think this setup ended up more balanced than I gave it credit for in the end but that's also largely because we had far more options late game than we did early on. Still, any game where the Mafia can't point at a player to reliably remove someone is a game where the Mafia are at a disadvantage.

And in the end we still won by the skin of our teeth thanks to some very lucky dice rolls and some unexpected full kills.

My point was you'd have won by far more if you guys had actually played mafia. Without even having to do that, you still won(by the skin of your teeth, sure, but still)

Reminder. Town only cuddled town on one day in this game. D1: 3p, D2: town, D3: scum, D4: scum, D5: scum, D6: scum

So in addition to town cuddling properly for most of the game, Mafia also didn't play the mafia portion AND mafia still won.

No argument that the game was balanced against scum is sane.

• Locked thread