Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Donnerberg posted:

Open world games consist of 99% unfun poo poo games and 1% cool fun games like Saints Row, Dragons Dogma and Shadow of Mordor that are good in spite of being open world. They'd be good regardless of the size of the map or the linearity of the story because they have cool fun mechanics for cool fun people, and there isn't a quest in sight. Quests are the reality TV of video games. They're the lowest possible form of entertainment, or at least tied with achievements for that dubious claim to shame.

There are quests in all of those games though?

Anyway, for my hot take (as this is clearly just the hot take thread):

I have basically never had a problem with a game being 'too easy'. It always comes up with RPGs, where people will say 'yeah but if you grind for this one part, you end up overleveled for the rest of the game!' and I'm just like... cool? Being overlevelled is fine. It's awesome when the player is insanely overpowered. I'll take any advantage I can get :shrug:

e: Also I really loved Nier and was super thrilled when they announced Automata, but the weird anime perversion and the amount of fanbase drawn to the game because of the main characters giant rear end really puts me off playing it. That and my computer would need an upgrade first.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I will never understand the appeal of romances in video games. It just feels weird most of the time.

Do you feel the same way about romance in novels and movies? Not judging, just curious since games are just another story telling medium.

As for difficulty in video games, you have to remember this is going to be subjective according to the individual player's skills. Like dark souls is probably just challening for some people but frustratingly hard for others. Personally I enjoy the illusion of challenge. Overleveling to beat the crap out of some boss can be fun and satisfying, but if the game is so easy you could just beat it by holding down the attack button anyway there's no point, right?

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 24, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

There are quests in all of those games though?

Anyway, for my hot take (as this is clearly just the hot take thread):

I have basically never had a problem with a game being 'too easy'. It always comes up with RPGs, where people will say 'yeah but if you grind for this one part, you end up overleveled for the rest of the game!' and I'm just like... cool? Being overlevelled is fine. It's awesome when the player is insanely overpowered. I'll take any advantage I can get :shrug:

e: Also I really loved Nier and was super thrilled when they announced Automata, but the weird anime perversion and the amount of fanbase drawn to the game because of the main characters giant rear end really puts me off playing it. That and my computer would need an upgrade first.
People play games for different reasons. I personally get the most enjoyment out of games where, over the course of it, I am gradually taught and eventually master some sort of skill. The process of achieving mastery is what does it for me and I get much less out of games where the design subverts that by playing fast and loose with progression. Leveling systems that are based on the amount of monsters your kill or quests you complete dampen things for me because it means that sections aren't specifically designed to be dealt with at a certain power level, and invariably I feel like I win just because I pushed the stick forward for long enough.

I know that this is weird and not everyone plays games for this reason, and it's not like I've never appreciated other aspects of a game like storytelling or artistic design, but those are a sometimes food for me. Generally every genre has some games done in the style that I like, and some that aren't, and I gravitate towards the former.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Avalerion posted:

Do you feel the same way about romance in novels and movies? Not judging, just curious since games are just another story telling medium.

I suppose I should elaborate: I don't understand romance in games where the protagonist is a stand in for the player. It always feels super awkward and forced. I also don't understand the mentality behind people that really, really want them. Like when I played Mass Effect I couldn't of cared less about the romances but some people are super into them.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I hate being overpowered in games. If I don't feel like there's any sense of adversity then I don't get any enjoyment out of it. Being super strong gets old fast, and I have a lot more fun struggling but eventually succeeding with a difficult task.

quote:

Taro Yoko being a weird pervert always undermines his games to me.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 24, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it's illegal to loathe the giant rear end, even in this, the contrary thread

• Locked thread