Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Planescape: Torment better be drat grateful that it has some of the best writing ever seen in a video game.

Because everything else in that game SUUUUUUUUUCKS.

I like Super Mario Sunshine over 64 or Galaxy. I kinda don't like Galaxy very much at all. The level design is almost as weird and annoying as the wiimote centric controls.

For the most part, I enjoy the support convos on FE: Awakening and Fates and think they get poo poo on way too much. (I agree that the plots of Conquest and Revelation are hella bad though).

Pokemon Uranium is ok. It's flawed, but it's a fangame. Watching the chat rip apart the game's tiniest issues in OFS's LP got a bit annoying. They also have many valid criticisms of course, but it was nothing that crashed the experience for me personally.

Gen 1 Pokemon are overrated and Gen 5 is the best gen, even if half the pokemon are just analogues for gen 1 pokemon. You think this wouldn't make sense since that would mean Gen 5 pokemon would be overrated as well. But Gen 5 isn't rated as highly as gen 1 so it evens out.

Bethesda RPGs (of which I will include Fallout: NV despite not being developed by them) are the best video games on the planet and every year I don't get more is a year wasted. (gently caress The Evil Within 2 and it's stupid yogurt dimension, stay your loving lane).

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I don't get the allure of 'hard' games?
Do people LIKE failing?

I respect Dark Souls mechanically and thematically but I could only try something 20 times before beating it so many times before I was like 'this is somebody else's game'

Related: I also don't get slavish devotion to the notion of retro.
I mean, I like retro. But I like retro that takes into account the last 30 years of video game evolution. Games that are intentionally counter-intuitive just to evoke a sense of nostalgia are just...nuts. Developers are telling their fans 'remember when this sucked and was awful 30 years ago. Well with your support we can make it suck and be awful again so you can ruminate on your sucky and awful childhood'

exquisite tea posted:

My shameful confession is that I have a much higher opinion of a game if I can actually finish it, and for these reasons I believe Super Monkey Ball 2 is superior to the Witcher 3.

Really the thing about this confession that stands out the most is that you beat a Super Monkey Ball game. Well done.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 23, 2017

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't get the appeal of 'easy' games?
Do people LIKE breezing through all of a game's content without any meaningful challenge or skill progression?

Yes.
Succeeding is fun.
Failure is God's punishment upon the human soul.

(also; I might have issues)

• Locked thread