Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I just got finished bringing a 1988 Town Car back from the dead.

You probably want to replace the alternator. The stock one in the '88 Town Car I had was infamous for starting fires, and the harness on it was all corroded so it would not charge.

I replaced the battery and installed a 130A alternator from an OHV Taurus and a maxifuse charge harness from a 1997 F150. With a little bit of clearancing on one of the ears of the alternator, it dropped right in with only one splice for the charge light on the dash.

I removed as much of the old harness as I could and capped it off, and it's been fine ever since. Strongly suggest you do this, as the stock electrical system can barely sustain the stereo and (again) likes to catch fire.

Better pictures, info about what I did is here.

Probably you also want to make sure that the little plastic grommet that holds the TV cable to the throttle linkage hasn't fallen off. If it ever falls off, the transmission will eat itself pretty quickly.

Let me know if you have any more questions! If this Town Car had been a wagon I would probably be keeping it, but as it is I am looking for a buyer.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah I would absolutely not drive one of these things long distances without changing out the alternator. The old harness probably came like this close >< to burning the car down with the previous owner inside; he got lucky that it killed the car before it killed him.

It is an AOD.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I would check out the harness at the very least and bring a fire extinguisher. I would not be surprised if it's in the same condition as mine, especially somewhere where it gets really hot.

The alternator swap isn't too hard; I thought it would be more work than it was but it came together once we had the parts and clearanced the ear off the alternator.

There are a lot of cars out there still with this crappy alternator design so it's by no means a guarantee it will catch fire; just be aware.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Cracks in the quick-disconnect, green corrosion like in my pictures of it, etc.

It should be pretty obvious if it's really bad.

• Locked thread